Valve Teases Steam's "Big Picture" Mode for TV

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Steam could be coming to a television near you.

In a pre-GDC announcement, Valve has teased a new technology related to Steam that it'll be bringing to the show. Steam's "big picture" mode will apparently take the digital distribution service from your PC to your television set.

Valve isn't all that forthcoming with specific details on the mode, but says it'll "offer controller support and navigation designed for television interaction." Valve VP of marketing Doug Lombardi says: "With big picture mode, gaming opportunities for Steam partners and customers become possible via PCs and Macs on any TV or computer display in the house."

More will be revealed at the 2011 Game Developers Conference, which runs from February 28-March 4. Valve will also talk about the success of Steam's microtransaction marketplace and how it'll integrate Steam into the launch of Portal 2 for the PlayStation 3.

I can only guess at what Valve has in mind for "big picture" mode. Unless I'm missing something, it'd presumably need some kind of external box hooked up to a television to sling the Steam signal from a PC to said television. It'll be intriguing to see what Valve has in store.

"valve teases steam's "big picture" mode for tv"

you mean that Valve will be streaming Moviebob's rants on TV?

"Valve Teases Not Episode 3"
I am disappoint. I don't even have a good TV. My monitor is several times better than my old fat television I only use for playing PS2 and Gamecube.
Seriously, though. Get on Episode 3.

Either their gonna announce that you have to hook up a rig or they're 'gasp' making a different Steam that's cloud gaming. If it's the latter I'm selling my rig. I don't care if Halo 2 isn't on Steam, if it's going cloud there's really no point in owning a gaming PC anymore.

Meh I'll stick my rig either way.

I don't know what it is, but I'm sure it'll be brilliant
...in 2030, when they will finally release it after twenty years of tests.

teh_Canape:

Doooo ho ho ho Dat slaps me kn the knee

Also, im guessing it's for Ps3 integration.

Sounds awesome, I hope to try it out one day.

I don't really get it. If I want to play Steam games on my TV, I'll plug my PC into my TV. I could even use Apple TV. So either they're planning to stream off a PC, or else offer... a Steam Box? Eh I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

It would be nice if there was a slick way to use your local net to "plug" your computer into your TV via some 3rd device. My compy is currently hooked to the TV but it requires the desk be next to the television. Thats not terrible but some sort of wireless HDMI or HDMI through ethernet would be cool.

I think this is great. I won't use it, but I'll sure as hell prattle at everybody else to.

What's the point really?

Tom Goldman:

Valve isn't all that forthcoming with specific details on the mode, but says it'll "offer controller support and navigation designed for television interaction."

Great! Another controller to lose in my couch cushions.

My monitor is already a TV! Oh well Maybe I can play Steam content on my TV, while I'm playing Steam content on my TV... :O

Goldeneye1989:
Doooo ho ho ho Dat slaps me kn the knee

good times

XinfiniteX:
My monitor is already a TV! Oh well Maybe I can play Steam content on my TV, while I'm playing Steam content on my TV... :O

YO DAWG!
It seems so!

Either Steam is going to be for consoles, or Netflix is gonna have some competition.

HankMan:
What's the point really?

Tom Goldman:

Valve isn't all that forthcoming with specific details on the mode, but says it'll "offer controller support and navigation designed for television interaction."

Great! Another controller to lose in my couch cushions.

How many controllers you have down there? Would think that would be getting pretty bumpy by now unless they are BIG cushions.

They say they're bringing Steam. Not any of the games.
So it's gonna be like the Youtube channel you can get through your PVR or through certain internet enabled TV's. Basically you can pop into Steam, watch the demos and trailers, and probably purchase games and the like through your TV, which you can then go play on your computer.

They might even put in forum access.. that could be a bit of a coup if they set up something so that you could easily enter words using your TV remote.

I'm just waiting until Valve actually comes out with some variety of Steam-running console. Then maybe for once Pc gamers and console gamers can play on the same servers... or at least be a part of the same community.

(Note: I'm a Pc gamer, I don't really care if Valve makes a console but it would be nice)

*crosses fingers for Meet the Medic/Meet the Pyro/ TF2 Movie tie-ins*

Seriously, I heard Meet the Medic has been finished TWICE already...

I will continue to use my PC for all my gaming. That's my thing. However, this is VERY exciting. Why? Well, lets think about the Marketing. Next generation of consoles. People are looking at the PS4, the XBox 720, and the Zii or whatever. Then, along comes Steam. The platform that uses your home computer. Instead of buying a $400 box you have to set up, just download this free program. You can already use a TV as a monitor, so either the hardware will me minimal, probably a single cord. Hell, maybe they can do it wireless. Use your already supported controller. Never go to a store again to buy your games. The sheer novelty of using a central computer to power your "console" gaming. Valve could eclipse Sony and Microsoft as a platform. It sounds crazy, but it is actually VERY feasible. I hope they do it

XinfiniteX:

Steam overload!
BTW: Are you saying that you're streaming TV on your computer?

Xanadu84:
I will continue to use my PC for all my gaming. That's my thing. However, this is VERY exciting. Why? Well, lets think about the Marketing. Next generation of consoles. People are looking at the PS4, the XBox 720, and the Zii or whatever. Then, along comes Steam. The platform that uses your home computer. Instead of buying a $400 box you have to set up, just download this free program. You can already use a TV as a monitor, so either the hardware will me minimal, probably a single cord. Hell, maybe they can do it wireless. Use your already supported controller. Never go to a store again to buy your games. The sheer novelty of using a central computer to power your "console" gaming. Valve could eclipse Sony and Microsoft as a platform. It sounds crazy, but it is actually VERY feasible. I hope they do it

I suspect this is a software only "hook it up yourself" thing, but if Valve used, say, their partnership with Razer or another hardware producer to make a cheap system of wiring a video signal AND USB inputs for game controllers to the TV, they might really be on to something.

I can see something like that really appealing to the console crowd, since they could just plug in their 360 controller and play any Steam game that supports it. I've always thought Valve should get into the living room, and this seems like a low-barrier, low cost way to do it.

Oh dear God... it begins.

FungiGamer:

the meet the pryo is allready made

ResonanceGames:

Xanadu84:

I suspect this is a software only "hook it up yourself" thing, but if Valve used, say, their partnership with Razer or another hardware producer to make a cheap system of wiring a video signal AND USB inputs for game controllers to the TV, they might really be on to something.

I can see something like that really appealing to the console crowd, since they could just plug in their 360 controller and play any Steam game that supports it. I've always thought Valve should get into the living room, and this seems like a low-barrier, low cost way to do it.

Your probably right, on both counts. It is probably a, "Do it yourself" thing, but they definitely COULD do a hardware hookup for super cheap. And I absolutely agree on the living room idea: The biggest thing standing between PC gaming and a place among the XBoxes and PS3s is not exclusives or brand identity, it's people who want to lay down on their couch on front of their TV while they game. Its still only a possibility, not a definitely, but I think that this could very well lead to PC Games being synonymous with with Steam, and Steam being treated like a console in its own right.

HankMan:

XinfiniteX:

Steam overload!

haha nah, my monitor IS a TV. I'm using a 32" Sony Bravia :D

JordanXlord:

FungiGamer:

the meet the pryo is allready made

If that's the case then releasing them both would be great

XinfiniteX:

HankMan:

XinfiniteX:

Steam overload!

haha nah, my monitor IS a TV. I'm using a 32" Sony Bravia :D

That's pretty cool.

Dawkter:
Either their gonna announce that you have to hook up a rig or they're 'gasp' making a different Steam that's cloud gaming. If it's the latter I'm selling my rig. I don't care if Halo 2 isn't on Steam, if it's going cloud there's really no point in owning a gaming PC anymore.

Sure sounds like it could be cloud gaming doesn't it? Our bandwidth isn't wide enough for reliable cloud gaming downunder, but if someone does it right and that someone is as big as Steam/Valve then that is the beginning of the end for consoles. Not today maybe but in the future for sure.

Huh, I don't really see the point of this.

Huh? I don't get it. My entire PC already has "big picture" mode. It's called hooking the PC video out to the TV video in.

XinfiniteX:
Maybe I can play Steam content on my TV, while I'm playing Steam content on my TV... :O

Insert Xzibit here, right?

If this kicks off, I can see it essentially replacing consoles for a portion of the gaming market. And why shouldn't it?

I'm guessing it will be somewat similar to on-live. That could be cool. But i was hoping on-live itself to bring the tecnology to the masses, business wise it may be the right decision. But if they copy and muscle out on-live, i will be a sad panda.

teh_Canape:

Dohohoho.

uh, I really liked valve so far, but....isn't the speed of their expansion now a bit too fast O.o?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here