Leaked Portal 2 Achievement Ignites Episode 3 Rumors

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Leaked Portal 2 Achievement Ignites Episode 3 Rumors

Aperture Science might be trying to tell us something.

We're less than two months away from the planned April 20th release date of the sequel to Valve's beloved Portal, which means that it's time to start seeing some leaked information (or, if you prefer, "leaked" information). Xbox360achievements obtained the full achievement list for the Xbox 360 version of the game, and while most of them are what we've come to expect from Valve (yes, there is one called "Still Alive") one in particular has the rumor mill abuzz about how Portal 2 might tie into the long, long, long-awaited Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

The achievement in question is called "Ship Overboard," with the requirement: "Discover the missing experiment." It doesn't sound like much, right? However, fans of the Half-Life series will likely immediately make the connection with the Borealis, an Aperture Science research vessel supposedly carrying dangerous and experimental cargo. Trying to beat Gordon Freeman's Black Mesa laboratory to the punch, Aperture ignored safety protocols - and Borealis vanished along with all hands.

The discovery of the Borealis in an undisclosed Arctic climate was a major plot point in Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (watch the scene here, in case you need a refresher), with Dr. Kleiner hypothesizing that the ship's experimental cargo could be humanity's key weapon in the struggle against the Combine.

Oh, and the Borealis was also a prominent part of the very first Episode 3 teaser art from five bajillion years ago. There's that, too.

So what could this all mean? Not unexpectedly, Valve fans have already warmed up the discussion engine quite well enough on their own. The sticking point is that Portal 2 is set over a century after the events of the first game, which was itself set well after the Black Mesa incident from the original Half-Life. Even if Chell could find the Borealis, what secrets could it possibly hold?

That is, unless the secret is time travel. Which would be pretty monumental, now that I think about it.

Of course, this could also just be Valve yanking everybody's collective chain as the Half-Life 2: Episode 3 team uses their cut of the Steam fortune to hold donuts-and-beer parties, while snickering to themselves at how everybody actually thinks that they're actually working on the game. Can't rule that out, no sirree.

(via Joystiq)

Wishful thinking I presume. Although I'm sure there will be links to Black Mesa throughout.

I'm sorry. I love Valve and their games but they're release pacing is awful and as good as their work is, I just refuse to let this "leaked" bit of news excite me. I officially stopped holding my breath for Valve games long ago.

My reaction

Rivers Wells:
I'm sorry. I love Valve and their games but they're release pacing is awful and as good as their work is, I just refuse to let this "leaked" bit of news excite me. I officially stopped holding my breath for Valve games long ago.

Same here, honestly.

The moment some real information comes out about it is the moment I start freaking out. Not a moment before then.

I would like to see a episode 3 because the first two were great much better than the original half life 2.

Meh, it's probably just a reference to remind everyone of the link.

MrSnugglesworth:

Rivers Wells:

Same here, honestly.

The moment some real information comes out about it is the moment I start freaking out. Not a moment before then.

This, I understand that they take their time so they don't release a half assed game but good lord this is insane. I'll get excited again when Gabe actually explains just what the fuck has been taking so long with this game.

I think I just heard Valve getting another $100,000,000 of free press. I wish people would stop falling for this crap.

I'm not holding my breath for Episode 3 (although it would certainly be appreciated), but what's 'conversion gel'? Is it the rumored gel that lets you walk on walls? That'd be sweet.

Also, it's nice to see Valve still has their wit and science references on full display here.

I think everyone at Valve has a fetish for messing with their fans.

I've got it!

Using the Borealis' teleporter time travel device you travel back to Black Mesa moments before the Cascade. Where upong you deliver a large quantity od data to Eli Vance and prevent the Combine from ever having their attention drawn to Earth.

As a result you are written out of existence and Gordon Freeman is just some boring science bod working in a lab in the desert.

The end...

Also, does anyone seriously believe we'll be playing Portal 2 this April?

As much as VALVe games have quality, that quality is pretty old by todays standards, I mean seriously, Source needs an update. So there is no excuse for why Episode 3 is taking so long.
In fact Episodic titles are supposed to be shorter, sold for less and take less time to make, VALVe has the first 2 but what about 3? I can't wait for their excuse to be "It's only been 4 years."

Damn, there's not a lot of meat to this. The one thing we DO know about the Episode Three/Portal connection is that the Borealis is involved somehow. All this really tells us is that the Borealis (or some kind of nod to it) is probably also in Portal 2.

Gordon Freeman's dead body.
Calling it now.

Oh piss off.

I'm not biting. Not something that bloody vague.

I'm so sick of people bitching about episode 3 that even if it comes out, I'm not playing it. That's how tired I am. I will -never- play it.

Umm didn't they already make that connection in episode 2? Not to mention in portal itself?

EDIT: Whoa. Delayed action double post.

Feel free to delete etc etc.

Fall 2012. I'd bet my dog on it. Hmm. It is valve after all, that might be a bad idea.

Oh my god what does this mean!?

*Flips out uncontrollably over shred of evidence about a game people stopped waiting for over 2 years ago*

VGC USpartan VS:
As much as VALVe games have quality, that quality is pretty old by todays standards, I mean seriously, Source needs an update. So there is no excuse for why Episode 3 is taking so long.
In fact Episodic titles are supposed to be shorter, sold for less and take less time to make, VALVe has the first 2 but what about 3? I can't wait for their excuse to be "It's only been 4 years."

We're in year 5 going on 6.

Any mention of a ship in a Portal game makes it pretty obvious that they're making a link with Episode 3. Still not convinced Ep3 is coming out anytime soon though.

John Funk:
Of course, this could also just be Valve yanking everybody's collective chain as the Half-Life 2: Episode 3 team uses their cut of the Steam fortune to hold donuts-and-beer parties, while snickering to themselves at how everybody actually thinks that they're actually working on the game. Can't rule that out, no sirree.

Well of course that isn't going to happen. Critical Miss killed off Gabe Newell. It won't be long before the impact of that is truly felt.

No you wrong, it wasn't donut and beer parties, it was Gabe Newell with his McDonald's, and Subway binge.

C'mon everyone should know that by now.

Two words appropriately come to mind.

Deep. Sixed.

John Funk:
Valve yanking everybody's collective chain as the Half-Life 2: Episode 3 team uses their cut of the Steam fortune to hold donuts-and-beer parties, while snickering to themselves at how everybody actually thinks that they're actually working on the game. Can't rule that out, no sirree.

My thoughts exactly, i bet they dont want to make it and move on to new things, which is 'fine in my book.

keep on a trollin VALVe

Honestly some of the other achievements intrigue me more
example "the rat man's den" is that the name for the guy in back hallways of the first portal?
Portrait of a Lady: Find a hidden portrait who on earth could that be?
You Made Your Point: Refuse to solve the first test in Chapter 8 do you have to kill companion cube again?

If I turn out to be right about how Portal 2 ends--leading directly into Half-Life (Episode) 3--I'm going to make sure NO ONE hears the end of it. I've been saying this for several months, and I'll say it again:

Portal 2 needs to end with Chell getting thrown back in time. She wakes up on her back, much like the end of Portal, and suddenly you hear a familiar voice: "Oh my God! Are you okay?" Alyx appears and looks down at Chell (the camera). She then looks off screen: "Gordon! Over here!" Footsteps, then Gordon looks down. Cut to black.

If I'm right, I will demand a prize--preferably a job working for Valve. :-)

Reveras:

VGC USpartan VS:

We're in year 5 going on 6.

Episode 2 came out in 2007...? It hasn't even been four years. : /

Why is everyone so worried about HL2:E2...

Why not

Brainsnap

-INC Flames-

Half Life 3

wammnebu:
You Made Your Point: Refuse to solve the first test in Chapter 8 do you have to kill companion cube again?

Nuuu :(

I don't know why, but I felt damned attached to that cube.

100 years after the events of the first game?

Sounds like Valve's release schedule.

Shinx:
I think everyone at Valve has a fetish for messing with their fans.

That and hats.

Valve pacing sure is crap but hey... they sure know how to make games. I keep playing all this regular off the shelf games over and over again and suddenly BAM! a valve game. That's really cool.

Newell you troll!!!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or