THQ In Hot Water Over Homefront Marketing

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

SelectivelyEvil13:

joebear15:
guys I have a question since I honestly don't follow gaming culture that much. are gaming companies so dead broke they can't afford TV commercials and Internet advertisements like industries who market things like adults. I think things like this are the reason why were looked at as children.

ps the first gaming company that blames piracy for them not spending money on marketing is getting their corporate headquarters hijacked by the alien overlord Xenu under the intergalactic code of stupid.

As a fellow non-follower of gaming culture, I can understand your question completely. However, I have the great misfortune to run across the Dead Space 2 advertisement enough (online videos or TV) to know that, sadly, no, they still do commercials... they just suck. The Bulletstorm one has been on a few times and I think that video game marketing would sometimes be better off just showing cool explosions for 15 seconds and shutting the hell up.

This marketing ploy looks like more empty fuel to the already spluttering fictional fire burning off of the fear-oil hidden under North-South Korea Super Nation of Great Victory. Balloon launch, really? Who's going to be impressed by a half-hearted humanitarian awareness/video game plug just because helium is involved?

[1]

okay well they've made progress now they just have to make the advertisements not suck, the first piece of advice I would give them is for the love of God don't in-house the advertisements we've seen what happens, preferably what they should do is hire the people that make the Geico commercials to do them an add.

[1] Dear ReCaptcha: Two words does not equate to reading books, especially when at least one or even both words are either misspelled, illegible, or written in the language of "Crazy."

Christ, people, they released biodegradeable balloons into the bay, and yet some of you are calling them out like they were shooting kittens at passing cars with a cannon

Therumancer:

JDKJ:

Therumancer:
Well, it seems to me that San Francisco was probably not the best place to do the marketing for a war game, that by it's nature espouses a world view contrary to the political idealogy famously practiced in that region and celebrated in song. :)

The complaint on the balloons is ridiculous of course, and seems to be an after-the-fact attempt to do something about this more than anything, because I very much doubt this is the first promotional event/celebration in the city to do something like this, what's more the laws involved are likely pretty obscure if the marketing department working with THQ didn't know about them. Typically events like this are done by working with locals who help obtain the venues and promote locally, so it's not likely that THQ just decided to wing this whole thing and upset a bunch of people by being careless.

Simply put they walked into one of the biggest left wing strongholds on the left coast, and decided to promote a "realistic" war game involving real factions. It shouldn't be shocking that given the number of San Fran residents who might literally want to put flowers in the hair of Kim Jong and his son, that something went wrong here. :)

Just in case you're not being entirely facetious, you should be aware that the Summer of Love ended more than 40 years ago and San Francisco is no longer the communist hot-bed it was once thought to be. In fact, an influx of well-educated techie-types and regentrification have now placed it beyond the means of most Little Red Book-carrying Maoists. They all moved out and up to Humbolt County many years ago (where they're all now growing super-potent pot and making money hand over fist). The "hippies" you may see in Haight-Ashbury aren't really hippies. They're all actors paid by the local merchants to ensure a steady stream of gawking tourist willing to buy bootleg Grateful Dead T-shirts. Just so you know.

While I was trying to be funny with the flowers and mentioning the song, I will say that I didn't actually say "communist" or even "hippies" I said left wing. The left wing has changed in how it presents itself. "The Left Coast" is referred to that way for a reason, the point here being that it's not an ideal area for this kind of thing. Most of the big cities down there aren't.... HOWEVER there are exceptions to every generality when dealing with populations that big. San Fran doubtlessly has some very conservative areas like any big city.

I figured you were being tongue-in-cheek more than anything else. I was just yanking your chain a lil' bit. But, as one who lives in California, I can tell you from my personal experience that the liberal brush with which the State gets painted isn't always entirely deserved. Putting aside Southern California (Los Angeles to San Diego) and that Silicon Valley-San Francisco area, it can get real conservative real quick. After all, it's the State that produced both Richard Nixon and Ronald Reagan. And even the claimed liberal parts aren't all that liberal. Los Angeles has some of the worst racial intolerance I've ever experienced. And much of it is state-sponsored. After all, it's the City that produced the Rodney King Beating and the May Day Melee. The LAPD ain't known for putting flowers in anyone's hair. They're know for putting a boot up your ass if you look at them the wrong way and happen to be poor or a minority. God help you if you're unfortunate enough to be both poor and a minority.

Sovereignty:

secretsofgames:
If the balloons are biodegradable there shouldn't even be an issue. They didn't intend for them to end up in the bay they intended for them to end up in gamers hands. It was reported elsewhere they had game coupons inside the balloons. They just miscalculated things like the wind and weather. All I see is an honest mistake and environmental whackos looking for something to complain about.

Agree with this!

Hippies gonna hate.

TO be fair it is regular idiots hatin not the hippies. Hippies is too busy no giving a fuck(to quote Kat Williams).

McMullen:
I bet the geniuses who came up with this stunt still get to keep their jobs too.

I've never had an encounter with a marketer or their "work" that raised my opinion of them. They just seem to me to be some of the most undeserving people who ever got paid for anything.

i don't know, the gear of war guys did a good job on all their advert campaigns.

I hardly think this was entirely an accident, creating controversy is the new marketing scene for gaming.

NOOOOO!!!! Not balloons!!! Those people in Cali are so full of themselves. Isn't their state in bankruptcy? You have bigger problems than balloons you tree hugging hippies.

vansau:

"We understand the concerns consumers have regarding the impact balloons can have on the environment. However, the balloon drop stunt in San Francisco was created by THQ, the publisher of Homefront, and GameStop had no prior knowledge of it. THQ has since informed us that they released soy-based, biodegradable balloons."

vansau:
"It's biodegradable over time, but a bird can still get entangled in it right now. A sea lion could be curious about it, bite it and swallow it. It could clog their stomach and cause them to die--right now. Biodegradable takes time to happen."

Hmm. THQ may be in some hot water on this, but I don't see ill intentions here. They didn't double check some laws, which people sometimes do, but if they do get in some trouble, they'll be fine. They're a large publisher, after all.

My worry is Kaos Studios, and how this could impact them. By extension, this event could affect Kaos as well as THQ in terms of sales. Either way, I have the game preordered, my money ready to go, and I'm crossing my fingers on this game making enough good sales despite this.

Oh great. Let's add another item to the pile of failed marketing ideas. Oy.

And hey, that's my bay getting balloons in it. :\ I don't like balloons in my bay.

How come I haven't seen a game commercial in ages? Other M got a commercial, why not Homefront? Surely Homefront is a bit above Other M, to the degree that it could at least get a commercial.

joebear15:

okay well they've made progress now they just have to make the advertisements not suck, the first piece of advice I would give them is for the love of God don't in-house the advertisements we've seen what happens, preferably what they should do is hire the people that make the Geico commercials to do them an add.

Indeed. Let's just hope that nobody gets any "smart ideas" where we end up with a planned Mom's Hate Dead Space sitcom or they've gone too far haha!

I want to say that somewhere on TV I saw an ad for Homefront, but it did not look good at all to me. Subjectively, the game looked dated and trite. The Korean Red Dawn approach makes me remember Turning Point: Call of Liberty (Oh why?!?), which is a connection that nobody ever wants to make, even by a smidgen.

stupid stupid stupid

they must be one of those places that doesn't have anybody checking over their promotions dept. "Oh hey, I have an idea! let's just plow ahead with it without sorting out consequences!"

Well, I already knew GameStop was dumb and evil, but for shame THQ!

Let's hope for a rapid degrading cycle on these balloons. The environment really doesn't need anything else shitting on it right now.

Also, wtf kind of gaming promotion releases a bunch of balloons? That's rather... odd... out of place... anachronistic?
Maybe someone in their promo dept. had just watched UP! and got all jazzed up.
I'm glad they at least had the thought to use biodegradable balloons, it could of been worse.

The sea lion part made me lol.

Athol:

I guess THQ was going for the "It is better to seek forgivness, than to ask permission" approch.

that a Gibbs rule isn't it and guess i can officially say that common sense is dead

Oh come on California. They're biodegradable balloons. Cull the hippies, a few balloons in the bay are not going to harm it at all.

So, marketers for video game companies just exist in their own fantasy realities right?
Remember when Zynga blew up that van to promote mafia wars? Remember that actor Ubisoft hired to go into bars?

Is it too much to ask your marketing simply not be illegal?

How to fuck will a Balloon strangle an animal? And can't Biodegradable stuff...Biodegrade in stomach acid?

tony2077:

Athol:

I guess THQ was going for the "It is better to seek forgivness, than to ask permission" approch.

that a Gibbs rule isn't it and guess i can officially say that common sense is dead

He does use it, but it predates NCIS

hippie: this is a catastrophic man is gonna like kill the ocean
normal citizen: these balloons are biodegradable
hippie: it doesn't matter man the wildlife is like doomed this is the worst disaster the ocans ever seen
citizen: what about the bp oil spill
hippie: dude your harshing my mellow

Athol:

tony2077:

Athol:

He does use it, but it predates NCIS

i know that it's just the last place i saw use it

Do people in the marketing depaertment not think?

A sea lion could climb onto land and a tree could fall on it.

Quickly, let's complain about, ban, and eradicate trees!

Etc.

Thedarkness77:
Do people in the marketing depaertment not think?

Of course they do.

You may notice you're posting in a news topic. Homefront has again been publicised across the internet and likely local newspapers.

Ergo, marketing.

"It's still trash," Bauer said. "It's biodegradable over time, but a bird can still get entangled in it right now. A sea lion could be curious about it, bite it and swallow it. It could clog their stomach and cause them to die--right now. Biodegradable takes time to happen."

I zoned out and stopped caring the moment I got to that part haa

RUINER ACTUAL:
NOOOOO!!!! Not balloons!!! Those people in Cali are so full of themselves. Isn't their state in bankruptcy? You have bigger problems than balloons you tree hugging hippies.

as much as I want to visit Cali sometime soon......chyeahh

Raziel_Likes_Souls:
How come I haven't seen a game commercial in ages? Other M got a commercial, why not Homefront? Surely Homefront is a bit above Other M, to the degree that it could at least get a commercial.

Maybe the people they are marketing to don't watch tv.

SomEngangVar:
If a bird finds a way to get entangled in a balloon and die, I just view that as natural selection.

If I nuke a country and everyone dies, I just view that as natural selection.

Therumancer:

JDKJ:

Therumancer:
Well, it seems to me that San Francisco was probably not the best place to do the marketing for a war game, that by it's nature espouses a world view contrary to the political idealogy famously practiced in that region and celebrated in song. :)

The complaint on the balloons is ridiculous of course, and seems to be an after-the-fact attempt to do something about this more than anything, because I very much doubt this is the first promotional event/celebration in the city to do something like this, what's more the laws involved are likely pretty obscure if the marketing department working with THQ didn't know about them. Typically events like this are done by working with locals who help obtain the venues and promote locally, so it's not likely that THQ just decided to wing this whole thing and upset a bunch of people by being careless.

Simply put they walked into one of the biggest left wing strongholds on the left coast, and decided to promote a "realistic" war game involving real factions. It shouldn't be shocking that given the number of San Fran residents who might literally want to put flowers in the hair of Kim Jong and his son, that something went wrong here. :)

Just in case you're not being entirely facetious, you should be aware that the Summer of Love ended more than 40 years ago and San Francisco is no longer the communist hot-bed it was once thought to be. In fact, an influx of well-educated techie-types and regentrification have now placed it beyond the means of most Little Red Book-carrying Maoists. They all moved out and up to Humbolt County many years ago (where they're all now growing super-potent pot and making money hand over fist). The "hippies" you may see in Haight-Ashbury aren't really hippies. They're all actors paid by the local merchants to ensure a steady stream of gawking tourist willing to buy bootleg Grateful Dead T-shirts. Just so you know.

While I was trying to be funny with the flowers and mentioning the song, I will say that I didn't actually say "communist" or even "hippies" I said left wing. The left wing has changed in how it presents itself. "The Left Coast" is referred to that way for a reason, the point here being that it's not an ideal area for this kind of thing. Most of the big cities down there aren't.... HOWEVER there are exceptions to every generality when dealing with populations that big. San Fran doubtlessly has some very conservative areas like any big city.

On that subject, it's unlikely any intelligent people will be against the game because they're left-wing. I'm as liberal as they come, and I have no problem with Homefront, other than the fact that it looks dull. San Francisco probably seemed like a good idea because it's a relatively well-off city and there'd be more potential customers. Political persuasion doesn't have much to do with the kind of games you like.

OT: X amount of money says THQ paid people to complain about the balloons. Also, it really does seem like a terrible publicity stunt. Sure, more people know about the game, but are more people really going to buy it?

secretsofgames:
If the balloons are biodegradable there shouldn't even be an issue. They didn't intend for them to end up in the bay they intended for them to end up in gamers hands. It was reported elsewhere they had game coupons inside the balloons. They just miscalculated things like the wind and weather. All I see is an honest mistake and environmental whackos looking for something to complain about.

You don't understand. I live in SF. How does the city look? What type of landmass is San Francisco? It is a peninsula. IT IS SURROUNDED BY WATER ON THREE SIDES!

Where they released the balloons, were just BLOCKS away from the ocean.

They just miscalculated things like the wind and weather.

San Francisco is always windy. Where would they expect balloons to end up beside the water? This was sheer stupidity. Maybe you're right, they may have intended for the coupons to end up in gamer hands. It was just they were targeting gamers who lived on boats and are divers.

If the balloons are biodegradable there shouldn't even be an issue.

So is paper, yet how long have those takeout leaflets stuck in the chainlink fence on your street been around? One man throwing out a tissue paper out of his car can be fined for littering even though it's "biodegradable." As part of this stunt THQ released TEN THOUSAND BALLOONS!

This is more like someone scattering a library of books on the road.

Oh come on. It's not that bad.

I'm surprised that, in all this rage about marketing, nobody's mentioned that time a few years ago when Sony brought a freshly decapitated goat with them to market God of War.

Kalezian:
am I the only one that thought of:

it wont leave your mind!

but really, this was pretty stupid THQ, I dont have any fancy college degree's, but even I know that balloons will eventually come back down.

it just might take a while.

I'm pretty certain that was what THQ was aiming for, but i gues the marketing brains behind this could lose his job if they fined a lot for it.

I think every single person in this thread (or just the three posts I read) are completely missing the biggest point of the article. Colifornia has a law that specifically states balloOns can't be put in it's water, if I may reiterate SPECIFICALLY BALLOONS.

What a load of bollocks. We don't have anything like this to market games in England, and i'm sure other countries don't. Just seems American marketing is all about "look at us, look how bat-shit insane we are, buy our games". Seriously, stop trying to be innovative for the sake of it in marketing your games. (Looking at you EA)

MurderousToaster:
Oh come on. It's not that bad.

I'm surprised that, in all this rage about marketing, nobody's mentioned that time a few years ago when Sony brought a freshly decapitated goat with them to market God of War.

To be fair, when this happened, a lot of people were proclaiming it's not that bad. Remember that time when _____ did ____?

Nouw:

SomEngangVar:
If a bird finds a way to get entangled in a balloon and die, I just view that as natural selection.

If I nuke a country and everyone dies, I just view that as natural selection.

Actually, this analogy sucks, here's a better one.

You see a huge container with a radioactive symbol on it. You have a hammer in your hands. And you essentially play whack-a-mole with the nuke and don't know what kind of consequences will ensue. You explode.

cjbos81:
This game better be great.

It won't, I've noticed a trend where the worse a publicity stunt is the mediocre the game it's related to will be.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 72787)