THQ In Hot Water Over Homefront Marketing

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Zer_:

Nouw:

SomEngangVar:
If a bird finds a way to get entangled in a balloon and die, I just view that as natural selection.

If I nuke a country and everyone dies, I just view that as natural selection.

Actually, this analogy sucks, here's a better one.

You see a huge container with a radioactive symbol on it. You have a hammer in your hands. And you essentially play whack-a-mole with the nuke and don't know what kind of consequences will ensue. You explode.

I am now officially confused.

Am I the only one who noticed that its quite creepy they have a direct and explicit writing in the law stating you shouldnt pollute with ballons?

What the fuck kind of marketing is that? Balloons? Are you serious? What the fuck do balloons have to do with anything?! That's not even marketing. What the hell is wrong with people's brains?!

secretsofgames:
If the balloons are biodegradable there shouldn't even be an issue. They didn't intend for them to end up in the bay they intended for them to end up in gamers hands. It was reported elsewhere they had game coupons inside the balloons. They just miscalculated things like the wind and weather. All I see is an honest mistake and environmental whackos looking for something to complain about.

Read the article:

The Article:
THQ also explained that the balloons are totally biodegradable and start breaking apart as soon as they're filled with helium. Of course, that isn't enough for some residents of the Bay Area, like Anne Bauer of The Marine Mammal Center.

"It's still trash," Bauer said. "It's biodegradable over time, but a bird can still get entangled in it right now. A sea lion could be curious about it, bite it and swallow it. It could clog their stomach and cause them to die--right now. Biodegradable takes time to happen."

That's not a hippie. That's a marine biologist. In case you can't tell, the difference is the completed college degree, the completed hygiene, better weed, and having a valid point about TIME being the actual issue.

Not to be rude, but if you're so sure this is hippie BS, why not put one of these balloons over your own head and see if it "degrades" fast enough for you to keep breathing. Not that I want you to. Just, think about it. In your mind.

vansau:
THQ In Hot Water Over Homefront Marketing

"It's still trash," Bauer said. "It's biodegradable over time, but a bird can still get entangled in it right now. A sea lion could be curious about it, bite it and swallow it. It could clog their stomach and cause them to die--right now. Biodegradable takes time to happen."

This made me lol

onoez, attack of teh Balloons!
Really, out of all things to pick on, the "environmental defenders" as I call them had to go for a couple of ballons?

Kalezian:
am I the only one that thought of:

it wont leave your mind!

Curse you! You beat me to it!

Asuka Soryu:

Kalezian:

it wont leave your mind!

Curse you! You beat me to it!

really its the first thing in mind

Kalezian:

it wont leave your mind!

You sir, deserve a medal.

OT: I always thought you were supposed to ask permission because it can interfere with air traffic instead of he whole pollution thing.

Or maybe that is just the UK with our crowded air space...

raxiv:
Am I the only one who noticed that its quite creepy they have a direct and explicit writing in the law stating you shouldnt pollute with ballons?

I'm not sure where the OP got that from, but the law doesn't mention balloons specifically. It only states that:

"5652. (a) It is unlawful to deposit, permit to pass into, or place where it can pass into the waters of the state, or to abandon, dispose of, or throw away, within 150 feet of the high water mark of the waters of the state, any cans, bottles, garbage, motor vehicle or parts thereof, rubbish, litter, refuse, waste, debris, or the viscera or carcass of any dead mammal, or the carcass of any dead bird."

Having read the law, I'm not even sure that the balloons in this case would be covered by the law. There's an argument to be made that they aren't garbage, rubbish, litter, refuse, waste, or debris. Because the law specifically list the types of materials that cannot legally end up in the waters of the state, there's a good argument that because balloons are not specifically included, they don't qualify.

Okay, really?

How fucking hard is it to market a game normally?!

secretsofgames:
If the balloons are biodegradable there shouldn't even be an issue. They didn't intend for them to end up in the bay they intended for them to end up in gamers hands. It was reported elsewhere they had game coupons inside the balloons. They just miscalculated things like the wind and weather. All I see is an honest mistake and environmental whackos looking for something to complain about.

I work for the local municipalitie's organics program and I can tell you that the 'biodegradable' (when it comes to consumer goods) means fuck all. As long as it CAN be biodegraded (under very specific conditions) they slap that label on it. A lot of things that we don't consider biodegradable are still biodegradable under the right conditions.

Sunchips recently released a new 'biodegratable' bag. People started putting these bags in their green organics bins. The thing was that the way our organics were processed into composed wasn't the correct method for decomposing the bags. So we're left with a bunch of consumers trusting the 'biodegradable' label despite the fact it's only biodegradable under very specific conditions.

Change something that normally takes 1,000 years to break down and make it so it breaks down in 100 years and slap a biodegradable label onto it. It's still very much so an issue.

Epic Fail THQ! Good job ya stupid bastards! xD

dagens24:

secretsofgames:

I work for the local municipalitie's organics program and I can tell you that the 'biodegradable' (when it comes to consumer goods) means fuck all. As long as it CAN be biodegraded (under very specific conditions) they slap that label on it. A lot of things that we don't consider biodegradable are still biodegradable under the right conditions.

Sunchips recently released a new 'biodegratable' bag. People started putting these bags in their green organics bins. The thing was that the way our organics were processed into composed wasn't the correct method for decomposing the bags. So we're left with a bunch of consumers trusting the 'biodegradable' label despite the fact it's only biodegradable under very specific conditions.

Change something that normally takes 1,000 years to break down and make it so it breaks down in 100 years and slap a biodegradable label onto it. It's still very much so an issue.

An aluminum Coke can will biodegrade. It may take 200 - 500 years to do so, depending on the degradation environment, but it will eventually biodegrade.

Whoops! That was a mistake. Well at least they can be collected by some dude in a boat. That will give at least one person a job for a little bit.

JDKJ:

dagens24:

secretsofgames:

An aluminum Coke can will biodegrade. It may take 200 - 500 years to do so, depending on the degradation environment, but it will eventually biodegrade.

The term Biodegradable implies more than its literal connotation. If you're happy with the literal, then your avatar is befitting you indeed.

Nouw:

Zer_:

Nouw:

If I nuke a country and everyone dies, I just view that as natural selection.

Actually, this analogy sucks, here's a better one.

You see a huge container with a radioactive symbol on it. You have a hammer in your hands. And you essentially play whack-a-mole with the nuke and don't know what kind of consequences will ensue. You explode.

I am now officially confused.

Agreed, I think I may have one better.

California broke off and sank into the ocean, would that be natural selection I ask you or would that just help people to realize and worry less about some fucking balloons?

katsumoto03:
Okay, really?

How fucking hard is it to market a game normally?!

Normal isn't good enough today. Advertising is all over the place. Unique and eye catching is where the gold is. There are unexpected hickups to be had, though.

this sounds like an accident.
'biodegradeable soy bloons'? after somebody complained about them falling into the bay? sounds awfully convenient to me.
[/quote]
Hippies gonna hate.
[/quote]

true words, good sir.

JDKJ:

raxiv:

I'm not sure where the OP got that from, but the law doesn't mention balloons specifically. It only states that:

"5652. (a) It is unlawful to deposit, permit to pass into, or place where it can pass into the waters of the state, or to abandon, dispose of, or throw away, within 150 feet of the high water mark of the waters of the state, any cans, bottles, garbage, motor vehicle or parts thereof, rubbish, litter, refuse, waste, debris, or the viscera or carcass of any dead mammal, or the carcass of any dead bird."

Having read the law, I'm not even sure that the balloons in this case would be covered by the law. There's an argument to be made that they aren't garbage, rubbish, litter, refuse, waste, or debris. Because the law specifically list the types of materials that cannot legally end up in the waters of the state, there's a good argument that because balloons are not specifically included, they don't qualify.

Thanks.
Being a foreigner (Eastern European) I don't have the knowledge to check these writings in american law. So what I usually do, is read with "understanding", and "explicitly states" would mean to me (I don't know if it's lack of english literacy here) that there is written black on white; no ballons in the water! Oh well.

On the side note, I wouldn't be so hard on THQ. America is well known for this "Green" movement while everyone drives SUV's and put hilarious amounts of christmas lights on their houses.

Oh, America.

Ellen of Kitten:

JDKJ:

dagens24:

The term Biodegradable implies more than its literal connotation. If you're happy with the literal, then your avatar is befitting you indeed.

Not to be a grammar Nazi, but "literal connotation" is an oxymoron. "Literal" refers to the strict or primary meaning of a word. "Connotation" refers to the secondary or associated meanings of a word. Combine two words of contradictory meaning (e.g., "literal" and "connotation") and the result is an oxymoron. If you're happy with creating an oxymoron, then I'll assume it has less to do with "oxy" and more to do with "moron."

JDKJ:

Ellen of Kitten:

JDKJ:

Not to be a grammar Nazi, but "literal connotation" is an oxymoron. "Literal" refers to the strict or primary meaning of a word. "Connotation" refers to the secondary or associated meanings of a word. Combine two words of contradictory meaning (e.g., "literal" and "connotation") and the result is an oxymoron. If you're happy with creating an oxymoron, then I'll assume it has less to do with "oxy" and more to do with "moron."

please don't try to troll me. The mods here have no patience for trolls.

Ellen of Kitten:

JDKJ:

Ellen of Kitten:

please don't try to troll me. The mods here have no patience for trolls.

This is interesting. You wanna start out our interaction with ad hominem references to my avatar and whether or not it befits me and then turn around and complain of being trolled when I respond. There's an old saying: "Don't start no trouble, won't be no trouble."

And why, pray tell, do you think you're in any position to tell me about the mods here? I've been around here longer than you have and have made seven times more posts than you have.

well... I didn't even know that balloon (plastic) is bio-degradable!? really? am I miss-informed in grade school?

punipunipyo:
well... I didn't even know that balloon (plastic) is bio-degradable!? really? am I miss-informed in grade school?

Wait long enough and everything biodegrades. The old saying that nothing lasts forever is literally true. Those horrible plastic six-packs rings that choke sea turtles to death will eventually biodegrade. It just takes 450 years for them to do so.

I honestly don't see the problem, the balloons are biodegradable.

Mutilator7:

It's the same problem as if I pulled up in front of your house with a dump truck and deposited two tons of fermented horse shit on your front lawn. You wouldn't have a problem with that would you? After all, the horse shit's biodegradable. Give it 20 or 30 years and it'll be absorbed by your lawn, leaving it lush and green. And I'm sure that by the second or third month you'll get accustomed to the smell of fermented horse shit.

What the fuck are sea lions doing in san fransisco?

JDKJ:

Mutilator7:

It's the same problem as if I pulled up in front of your house with a dump truck and deposited two tons of fermented horse shit on your front lawn. You wouldn't have a problem with that would you? After all, the horse shit's biodegradable. Give it 20 or 30 years and it'll be absorbed by your lawn, leaving it lush and green. And I'm sure that by the second or third month you'll get accustomed to the smell of fermented horse shit.

2 tons of horse crap is not equivalent to a hundred or so Balloons. And they are not dropping the balloons on someone's doorstep. Your analogy is way out of context. The only reason it's wrong is because of the state law, if that didn't exist it would just be some angry treehuggers who care about a couple balloons.

Mutilator7:

JDKJ:

Mutilator7:

2 tons of horse crap is not equivalent to a hundred or so Balloons. And they are not dropping the balloons on someone's doorstep. Your analogy is way out of context. The only reason it's wrong is because of the state law, if that didn't exist it would just be some angry treehuggers who care about a couple balloons.

If my passion is to frolic in the waters and enjoy the sea life of the San Francisco Bay on a daily basis, then I might well prefer that they had dropped their balloons on my doorstep rather than in the Bay. And your opinion that the introduction of foreign materials into a natural resource and wildlife habitat which will almost certainly cause harm to that resource and that wildlife isn't "wrong" as a matter of simple common sense -- regardless of what any law may or may not say -- is, frankly and in my opinion, pure fermented horse shit.

And if a treehugger is doing something to ensure that the planet's ecosystem -- the ecosystem that supports my own life -- isn't foolishly polluted and destroyed, then I'm on the side of the treehuggers. I like breathing all that oxygen those trees put out. And I don't like finding little pieces of old balloon rubber in my scallops. Or accidentally sucking them down my throat while I'm swimming in the ocean. But that's just me.

Mutilator7:

JDKJ:

Mutilator7:

It wasn't a hundred or so balloons, there are TEN THOUSAND!

And they released it on one of the windiest coastal cities that is 3/4 surrounded by water.

This coming from the city that's about to dump millions of gallons of bleach into their sewers that will go straight into the bay? Yeah...soy based balloons are sure your big problem, idiots!

BabyRaptor:
This coming from the city that's about to dump millions of gallons of bleach into their sewers that will go straight into the bay? Yeah...soy based balloons are sure your big problem, idiots!

I hate a low-flush toilet. I drop big elephant-sized turds and ain't no half gallon of water gonna flush those things away. So, I end up triple flushing and defeating the water saving objective of having a low-flush toilet (and that's not counting the courtesy flush I did halfway through).

BabyRaptor:

BabyRaptor:

Millions of gallons of bleach are used to treat drinking water daily. And bleach is water soluble.

On the other hand we don't usually do that since http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-03-11/bay-area/17165673_1_drinking-water-test-results-water-quality]some of the purest drinking water in the nation.

nyttyn:
What the fuck are sea lions doing in san fransisco?

We have a large habitat of them. I can understand why they would bite a balloon, because tourists like to feed them.

Frozen Donkey Wheel2:
Man, why can't publishers advertise games like NORMAL people?

I don't even get. What are the balloons supposed to signify exactly?

Well, you see, the balloons siginfy the American people and the net siginfied the oppresion of the Korean regieme. So once the balloons were released, it was like how you will free your country in the game.

Or it was the fact that balloons are REEEEALLY cheap.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here