Bungie's Confirmation of MMO Was a Joke

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Bungie's Confirmation of MMO Was a Joke

A report that said Bungie had confirmed it was working on an MMO was apparently the misinterpretation of a joke.

While it was thought that Bungie had confirmed its current project as an action-based MMO, this confirmation has now been unconfirmed. Bungie says its recent comments at GDC 2011 were only a joke.

In a GDC panel, Bungie lead network engineer David Aldridge made mention of a "massively good online game" and reportedly said it wouldn't be "World of Warcraft in space." This was interpreted as a confirmation of a future Bungie MMO.

On Bungie.net, Bungie says that Aldridge was playing off of rumors and didn't actually confirm anything. A post on the site reads: "In rehearsal Aldridge was convinced that everybody got the joke. It was all in the delivery, he assured us, and he was certain it was clear that he was playfully riffing off of the recent rumors."

This could be a double misdirection, or Bungie might just not be working on an MMO. You'd think if Bungie actually was, it would make sure that everybody knew to keep it under wraps, even joke-wise, until the official unveil. We'll find out the truth, eventually.

Source: Bungie.net

There seem to be quite a few game companies doing the whole "This was a joke, honest guys!" thing lately.

This is why I never believe anything unless it is also accompanied by a press release posted on the companies website.

MMOs suck, now if only them being with activision was a joke.

How about we just let halo die? Halo 1>2>3>odst>reach That's not in release date order, that in progression of how each one was worse than the last, albeit 1>2 could be debatable..

Notice a recurring theme here?!

warcraft4life:
How about we just let halo die? Halo 1>2>3>odst>reach That's not in release date order, that in progression of how each one was worse than the last, albeit 1>2 could be debatable..

What does Halo have to do with this article or news story?

Anyway, I doubt they're working on an actual MMO. My bet is that they're building a massive mythos, and will end up using all that background and lore as points for games. Although one of those games could potentially be an MMO.

warcraft4life:

Yeah, Bungie should totally stop working on Halo. They should give up the rights to the IP and sign up with a completely different publisher who will have them work on something else altogether.

Oh wait, they did.

Geo Da Sponge:

warcraft4life:

Yeah, Bungie should totally stop working on Halo. They should give up the rights to the IP and sign up with a completely different publisher who will have them work on something else altogether.

Oh wait, they did.

;-;

I met indefinitely - like EVERYONE, if we just all ignore it, it might stop..

warcraft4life:

You're operating under the assumption that most people really want it to stop.

Irridium:

Anyway, I doubt they're working on an actual MMO.

I don't. Well, I do, but I don't think they're not.

After all, a bunch of rumours about their possible MMO were circulating long before this.

JourneyThroughHell:

warcraft4life:

I thought everyone was generally a bit sick of the series..?

Irridium:

warcraft4life:

What does Halo have to do with this article or news story?

Anyway, I doubt they're working on an actual MMO. My bet is that they're building a massive mythos, and will end up using all that background and lore as points for games. Although one of those games could potentially be an MMO.

Maybe I'm wrong in saying a while ago there was an article that it would be an MMO based in the Halo universe?

warcraft4life:

More than 3 million copies of Reach were sold in the first month.

Most definitely not everyone is sick of it, then.

warcraft4life:

Maybe I'm wrong in saying a while ago there was an article that it would be an MMO based in the Halo universe?

That was a project being developed by Ensamble studios, the guys who made Halo Wars. It was scrapped many years ago.

JourneyThroughHell:

warcraft4life:

More than 3 million copies of Reach were sold in the first month.

Most definitely not everyone is sick of it, then.

I bought one of them too :B

But halo is more of a cash-cow now than ever before..

I love how they also caved into the "MUST BE CLASSES NOWWW" general FPS theme atm. That's why I actually liked Halo 3, in and among the FPS' it felt kinda old-school, you had no more of an advantage than anyone else ( I know, there are better old school FPS' but this one stuck with me)

Exhibit A: Why game developers should not be stand-up comedians.

warcraft4life:
you had no more of an advantage than anyone else

Until one of you got the power weapon.

Then all balance immediately flies out the window.

Okay, honestly: What is with the recent trend of everyone and their dog making an MMO? This is getting kind of ridiculous. And yes, I did read the article, so I know that Bungie probably isn`t, but it`s still telling that everyone honestly thought that a Halo (or vaguely Halo-inspired) game was feasible. Really, with WoW still dominating the scene, why do these companies try? To me, it looks like there`s a lot more potential in the single-player market. OR even better: Local multiplayer. That`s something we haven`t seen much of in the last little while.

As always, the truth is somewhere in the middle. My bet is that Bungie is making an MMO, but it actually IS "World of Warcraft in space".

warcraft4life:

JourneyThroughHell:

warcraft4life:

Yeah...the whole fact that Halo Reach was the third best-selling 360 game of last year (behind Madden and BLops), made $350 Million in sixteen days after launch, and has sold AT LEAST over 3.3 Million copies...yeah, people want it to go away.

Harbinger_:
There seem to be quite a few game companies doing the whole "This was a joke, honest guys!" thing lately.

Mostly because it's retarded. I want companies to try the "Good writers" route.

they we're probably looking into an MMO but Zynga probably already has HaloVille reserved.

JourneyThroughHell:

warcraft4life:
you had no more of an advantage than anyone else

Until one of you got the power weapon.

Then all balance immediately flies out the window.

Maybe the rocket launcher, but that's 4 kills... definitely the Sniper

But I won a many games of Lone Wolves or Team doubles with JUST an Assault Rifle..

Makon:

warcraft4life:

JourneyThroughHell:

Yeah...the whole fact that Halo Reach was the third best-selling 360 game of last year (behind Madden and BLops), made $350 Million in sixteen days after launch, and has sold AT LEAST over 3.3 Million copies...yeah, people want it to go away.

well, the massive majority of those I've spoken to say "Died at number 3, I picked up Reach to see how it would play out" etc. Pff I picked it up for FORGE WORLD!! THAT SHOULD NOT BE A MAJOR SELLING POINT!

Irridium:

warcraft4life:

That was a project being developed by Ensamble studios, the guys who made Halo Wars. It was scrapped many years ago.

Oh is this not the same one? My bad :S

Oh thank God! I was very apprehensive when I heard they were working on an MMO- I love Bungie but MMO's aren't really for me.

Wait, that quote was all you guys were going on? Wow, guys. Way to jump the gun. I mean, was that quote really all you were going on? Because that by itself is NOT a confirmation of anything.

warcraft4life:

bungie dont make halo anymore because microsoft kept the rights and at what point did this forum be somewhere for you to have a go at halo
your entitled to your own opinion but show it in the right place
ps. if the halo games were progressively terrible then why did you play the whole damn series from start to end and if you didnt why are you judging them

'massively good online game...not WoW in space' gee, that only sounds like it could apply to any of the Halo games, since they've just about ALL had strong online multiplayer bearing as much resemblance to WoW as a brick to the Mona Lisa...

Way to jump to conclusions and off the cliff guys

OT:dear recaptcha, as much as i love [hate] you, i'm pretty sure i don't have a button for capital omega on my keyboard

warcraft4life:

JourneyThroughHell:

warcraft4life:

ever heard of the silent majority?

anyways, you're the only one stirring up fuss about halo in a completely unrelated topic.

OT: i don't like mmos, so, hooray!

Yes! Now if only blizzard was kidding about their new MMO. And their servers crashed... Haha, only half kidding.

plexxiss:

warcraft4life:

bungie dont make halo anymore because microsoft kept the rights and at what point did this forum be somewhere for you to have a go at halo
your entitled to your own opinion but show it in the right place
ps. if the halo games were progressively terrible then why did you play the whole damn series from start to end and if you didnt why are you judging them

Played it to finish it, played ODST single player because I picked up the game for it's multiplayer

Picked up Reach for forge world

I read that the MMO was gonna be in halo universe, I now know that is wrong but at the time that is why this turned into a halo theme'd comment, therefore, this would be a right place to show my opinion..

cthulhumythos:

warcraft4life:

JourneyThroughHell:

anyways, you're the only one stirring up fuss about halo in a completely unrelated topic.

Well, I'm yet to see statistics based around a silent majority..

warcraft4life:

cthulhumythos:

warcraft4life:

that's.... kind of my point?

cthulhumythos:

warcraft4life:

cthulhumythos:

that's.... kind of my point?

Thought you were trying to say "obviously not because not everyone has given there opinion.. yet my statistic was based off just asking people

Bethesda Softworks: "Hey guys, Skyrim was just a joke! We're actually working on casual Facebook games! Get ready for our greatest game yet: Elder Scrollsville!"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here