Blizzard's New MMO Will "Blow People's Minds"

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Blizzard's New MMO Will "Blow People's Minds"

Blizzard says its upcoming MMO will be really, really good.

Blizzard's lips have largely been sealed when it comes to revealing new information about its current MMO project that may or may not be codenamed Titan. It dropped some hints in February and now has dropped a few more, but unfortunately still doesn't delve into specifics.

Speaking to VentureBeat, Blizzard COO Paul Sams said that the company will definitely continue to support World of Warcraft even after Titan is released for "many, many years to come." With 12 million players currently farming up bolts of cloth, I'd say that's a strong financial move.

Sams believes that the new MMO won't necessarily steal customers from WoW, but become a second game for Blizzard fans to enjoy at the same time. "As to our new unannounced game, we believe that it will be more complementary than competitive," he said. "And while people do have a limited amount of free time that they can devote to these types of games, we do think that people will want to check out the new and the old."

He adds that Blizzard feels its second MMO will be very compelling, successful, and that it'll capture a lot of hearts and minds. In fact, Sams predicts it will "blow people's minds" in addition to capturing them.

As for how the game will do that, Sams says Blizzard is building it with an eye on the future. "Some of the new things that maybe we would want to do, we can't do as elegantly because of the way we've architected [World of Warcraft]," he revealed. Titan is being developed with what Sams calls a "vision for what is coming."

Sams added that Titan will be a "different game" that will "expand [players'] gaming experiences." I'll bet anyone $5 that it'll still have a fetch quest or make us kill 10 giraffes, just for old time's sake.

Source: VentureBeat

Tom Goldman:
As for how the game will do that, Sams says Blizzard is building it with an eye on the future.

Well they already said they aren't doing a Starcraft MMO so we can rule that out but if it is going to be something unique I am definitely interested.

I want Space MMO!

I'm with you, I foresee similar gameplay to WoW with a new setting. Which is fine, it's a tested formula. However, the back of my mind is saying that Blizzard is smarter then that and might take some risks with this one.

Honestly I'm all about GW2. It looks amazing, the combat looks varied and the classes seem harder to be pigeon-holed into builds. Also the lack of a dedicated healing class will hopefully to more fun party building without the LF Healer clogging up the chat box.

I have to laugh at the fact that the company making the product is telling you that their product is "really, really good".

online mmo's... well im still waiting for the 40k one XD .. so might as well laugh about what blizzard says :3 ... -hA!-

That very roundabout and vague description fits my MMO needs perfectly. I mean, it doesn't.

Vikkiman:
I have to laugh at the fact that the company making the product is telling you that their product is "really, really good".

This.

Seriously hilarious. "We're not gonna show you anything about it. But trust us. We made it. It's amazing."

and it will fail because it cant stand up to wow

Worgen:

if anybody can create a MMO that can stand up to WoW, i'd imagine it's these guys

Vikkiman:

Oh boy, how unexpected was that, amirite?

Of course they'll support WoW for as long as it retains over a million subscribers, only a moron would even ask that.

What a pointless article.

I think that most of us already knew the contents of this announcement before they announced it.

Still betting on them changing their subscription model to be a battle.net subscription instead of a game by game basis. That's the only way this game can co-exist with WoW.

If Blizzard can actually produce anything original anymore I'll be the first to congratulate them. As far as I'm aware they lost all their real innovative talent when WoW launched and it's been nothing but rehashes and copycat since.

I am excited for this, but too bad I'll be long dead before it comes out.

I think Blizzard should be careful not to overhype their game. Otherwise people will be disappointed no matter how good it actually is because everyone will have his own, perfect expectations of how it should be.

I gleefully await for my mind to be blown.

Blizzard really hasn't disappointed us so far. If anything, they'll make a good game.

uppitycracker:

Worgen:

if anybody can create a MMO that can stand up to WoW, i'd imagine it's these guys

the only reason it would be able to stand up with wow is because blizz makes enough money from wow to pay for another game to keep going

Calling it right now: Titan is going to be set in the Warcraft universe, only a thousand years in the future and the main mechanic is that everybody has a giant robot suit that they do all their fighting in.

I think the Executive Council of All Things Awesome should ban the word "compelling" from ever being used to describe a video game. I'm sick of it, I tells ya!

ciortas1:

Samechiel:
Calling it right now: Titan is going to be set in the Warcraft universe, only a thousand years in the future and the main mechanic is that everybody has a giant robot suit that they do all their fighting in.

Are you serious, like, at any level? Because if so, you've proved yourself ignorant of every single news article of said game, which have been popping up since 2008 I believe, and if not, the joke is terribly unfunny, don't do that one again.

Translation: STFU u noob!!!1 Rude much?

I'm sure it's going to be awesome. . . . if it ever actually gets released in the next decade or so. In all reality this game is what, at least three years out if not more? I just can't bring myself to really care about some mysterious project we know absolutely nothing factual about other than it's going to be an MMO. Great! Wake me up in two years when we MIGHT have some actual information grounded in facts.

You're going to blow my mind blizzard? I could make a joke about that, but i'm not sure if I should.

Anyway, I look forward to it. They've messed up the balance of wow so much that i'm hoping they'll go back to balanced classes.

Lol I take it complemantry is industry for farming twice as much money from the current WOW players.

Samechiel:
Would you care for a moist towelette to wipe the sand from your vagina?

Nah, I'm fine. Just think for a moment before saying something or get a better writer for your jokes.

Fr]anc[is:

ciortas1:

Samechiel:

Are you serious, like, at any level? Because if so, you've proved yourself ignorant of every single news article of said game, which have been popping up since 2008 I believe, and if not, the joke is terribly unfunny, don't do that one again.

Translation: STFU u noob!!!1 Rude much?

That's me being nice.

uppitycracker:

Worgen:

Oh how funny it would be if WoW killed off there new MMO. "We have crafted a monster!"

I'm really tired of them making announcements that have absolutely zero content in them. "We're doing a new game, it'll be great!" and then "It'll be really, really awesome!" and finally "No, really, you have no idea. Here's a secret, it'll be like WoW, sort of, only a lot better."

I get it, they're really excited for their new property. Oh, and they want people to play both WoW and their new game. Well, again, that's hardly a surprise. Apple hopes you buy all their products too, not just an iPhone.

I say this as a huge Blizzard fan that owns and has played all their games over the years, so I really would like them to give us something more concrete. Otherwise, they'll hype it up so much that when specifics are released, it'll feel underwhelming.

uppitycracker:

Worgen:

the sheer brilliance in what you both said simply astounds me. and i'm surprised more people haven't commented on it. bravo!

OT: cautiously optimistic.

With Blizzard's talk about new MMO's, support for old MMO's, and content regarding it, I have to ask this: What the fuck are they doing about Diablo 3?
It's been postponed for more than a year now. What's the new release date holiday 2012?
So they can take that new MMO of theirs and shove it for all I care, because I want Diablo 3.

As for MMO's the one I'm waiting on is Final Fantasy (14 I think?) for the PS3 and only because most of my friends are going for it. I didn't go for WoW, because 2 of my friends who play it (and one still does) warned me away from it and I didn't really enjoy it from what I played. That and some of the people I met were total fanatics and control freaks, so maybe my opinion is skewed.

Jamboxdotcom:

uppitycracker:

Worgen:

the sheer brilliance in what you both said simply astounds me. and i'm surprised more people haven't commented on it. bravo!

OT: cautiously optimistic.

haha, i just find humor in my comment, that really goes both ways.

I'll bet anyone $5 that it'll still have a fetch quest or make us kill 10 giraffes, just for old time's sake.

Haha, I actually saw this as a problem with the Starcraft 2 campaign. They put so much effort into making each level 'unique' and 'original', that by the end I was wondering what happened to the levels that just let me build up a base and crush the enemy at my own leisure, without any sort of wierd restrictions or objectives? Just because it usually gets overdone doesn't mean it should be scrapped outright... just don't over do it.

I DID NOT SEE THAT COMING FROM A MILE AWAY.

Well one thing blizzard has no credators that they have to worry about, they can work on anything for as long as they want till they think it is ready.

Overhyped? they barely said anything about it other than this claiming it will blow our minds.

For me it would blow my mind if this mmo had any story or good lore in it, cause they sure tossed out any story and butchered any lore in WoW for that mmo.

I am not a huge wow fan but blizzard made a game that 12 million people have been playing for the last 5 years or so, tho those numbers will be dropping off sharply out of pure boredom and games like guild wars 2 and sw tor, and everything else in the pipeline till people find some other game that can hold their interest, wow has clearly peaked and in decline anymore.

But bottom line they have a built in fan base that is millions strong if they can come up with a new game that fills in the holes in wow and improve stuff then a good chunk of those people will be all too happy to give anything a go they put out.

Tom Goldman:
I'll bet anyone $5 that it'll still have a fetch quest or make us kill 10 giraffes, just for old time's sake.

I take that bet and raise you 20.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or