Rumor: Del Toro Directing Cthulhu Film With Tom Cruise

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Del Toro Directing Cthulhu Film With Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise is definitely going to star in the upcoming Guillermo del Toro-directed Cthulhu movie. Actually, replace "definitely" with "maybe."

H.P. Lovecraft's Great Old Ones have appeared in independent movies, tabletop RPGs, board games, and videogames, but it's been a while since they've appeared in a major Hollywood picture. Until now, that is. Guillermo del Toro's been attached to a film adaptation of At the Mountains of Madness for a while. Now, it sounds like the movie is definitely going to be made, with filming supposedly starting this June.

io9 spoke with the movie's producer Don Murphy (James Cameron is also a producer on the project), who confirmed the movie's start date and also revealed who its star is going to be. Murphy explained that the film is "supposed to shoot in June" and that Tom Cruise will be starring in it, which confirmed recent rumors. Ron Perlman also confirmed his presence in the film to io9, which -let's be honest about this- is surprising to no one since it's a Guillermo del Toro film.

While this is really exciting news, insiders spoke to io9 shortly after the original story ran and said that neither the start date nor Cruise's presence have yet to be confirmed. Shortly after that, Murphy retracted his statements.

If you haven't read At the Mountains of Madness, here's a quick summary:

A complete short novel, AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS is a tale of terror unilke any other. The Barren, windswept interior of the Antarctic plateau was lifeless-or so the expedition from Miskatonic University thought. Then they found the strange fossils of unheard-of creatures...and the carved stones tens of millions of years old...and, finally, the mind-blasting terror of the City of the Old Ones.

If there's a director who seems capable of putting H.P. Lovecraft's eldritch horror into movie theaters, it's definitely del Toro. The first Hellboy film does a nice job of showing what things might be like, thanks to the on-screen appearance of the Ogdru Jahad, and Pan's Labyrynth showcased how well the man can blend everyday settings with horror sequences that are simultaneously beautiful and terrifying. Hopefully, the rumors come true.

Source: io9

Image Source

Cthulu movie?! My god, yes! Touch me with your appendages of Eldritch horror!

So long as Tom Cruise gets eaten by Cthulhu then I'm all for this film!

If the movie is anywhere near as boring as the Cthulhu mythos, I will be skipping it for certain. Might be nice to see a movie that possibly redeems Tom Cruise to the modern public though, he's too good of an actor to lose work just because people think he's crazy.

Hmm... sounds interesting. And I like Cruise, so this might be a comeback for him.

Guillermo seems like a fantastic choice of director for a movie like this. And Tom Cruise is probably one of the 11,000 best actors working today (if we're generous). This could be good.

I've been following this for a long time, and I am really excited. Cruise, for all his public annoyance factor can be a very good actor, and I have complete faith in whatever del toro wants for the film.

Cthulhu is really Xenu.
You heard it from me first.

I'm torn. I love HP Lovecraft, and I like Del Toro a lot. But... Cruise? Sorry, Del Toro, but my boycott stands stronger than my appreciation for your films. I will not be seeing this.

I DETEST Tom Cruise, especially since of the whole scientology thing.

I was liking this until i saw that tom cruise was going to be involved, i just can't stand that man

Edit:

standokan:
I DETEST Tom Cruise, especially since of the whole scientology thing.

You and me both dude

He might be a borderline (or maybe just full-blown, it's hard to say sometimes) crazy person, but Tom Cruise can act. On his best days he's brilliant. So if Del Toro is behind it, plus Tom Cruise in need of a good comeback movie, I'll be there.

Tom Cruise staring as an alien worshipping cultist? Or featuring?

He will be the guy who dies from fright after seeing cthulhu.

Aren't you supposed to go batshit insane after beholding Cthulhu? If that's the case, I'm not sure they could have found a better actor for the part.

Wolfenbarg:
If the movie is anywhere near as boring as the Cthulhu mythos, I will be skipping it for certain. Might be nice to see a movie that possibly redeems Tom Cruise to the modern public though, he's too good of an actor to lose work just because people think he's crazy.

*hit*

OMFG CUTHULHU; with Del Toro? And James Cameron? Yay!

Wait a minute I'm not... Oh, Guillermo Del Toro.

I didn't know there was a C'thulu movie coming out, this should be cool. Unless they ham it up as hollywood is wont to do.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
That is all.

Moutains Of Madness is such an epic story. I hope cruise is the one who goes mad. But I bet he is the guy who goes there to set up a resivoir.

Everyone, grab your spoons, it's time to take down some Shoggoths.

I want to see this.

Cruise is fine. Del Torro is awesome. The only thing that worries me is James Cameron is producing it.

There has yet to be a good cthulu movie. Mouth of Madness was the closest to a good movie adaptation. Dagon and Cthulu were the most faithful to the source material but even then they were boring. Not for kiddies but From Beyond was a great 80's creature feature before all this CG stuff cheapened the art of special effects. It also wasn't good but still well crafted.

Hopefully GDT will pull it off but then again it needs to be R. Hellboy proved he can't work in PG.

Pans Labyrinth was one of the most amazing movies ever made though, if you haven't seen it do yourself a favor and block out some time with the cell phone off.

Cameron's involvement worries me. I can see him approaching the Cthulhu with this kind of attitude:

http://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=111

I just do not think he has the subtlety to produce this kind of project.

I heard Mike Mignola (craeator of Hellboy) say that Guillermo had to pull a lot of favours to make the Hellboy movie...could it be it's time to pay the devil it's due? Maybe Cruise or Cameron put the cash for the film now they want Guil's reputation and project and use it for commercial gain?

Still think Avatar is the most over rated and over priced movie ever but Cameron is usually a good producer for action movies, this movie would probably require subtle and serious artistry. Also, I don't hate hate Tom Cruise, but if they make a movie with him, it's all going to be about him and Cthulhu stories are usually not really that much about a main (human) character but rather the experience. I'm scared it's gonna end up like a Will Smith movie (take your pick I am legend, I, robot etc.) where they just take the name and a very basic idea of the story and make a cliche action movie that basically doesn't have any connection or intelectual connection to the original.

I'm rooting for Cthulhu.

The problem I have with Tom Cruise is that, despite all the roles he's played, he does not do the straight man well (no pun intended). He's much more endearing and memorable when he's actually given free rein to go crazy and comical; when he's given a serious lead, he just comes across as artificial, uninvested, and, well, just too damn stoic. Whenever he lets his unhinged self shine through, that's when he's watchable.

This is not to say that he can't be compelling, but a horrific, reality-bending, sanity-fucking Lovecraft adaptation might not not be the best place to do it. We'll see.

Also: am I the only one who's wondering how Lovecraft is going to gel with his religious beliefs?

Please let John Malkovich be in this movie in some capacity.

I love that t-shirt design so very much, it was the best birthday present ever - always gives me a good chuckle! With that out of the way, I have to say I am finding it very hard to envision Tom Cruise in this film, or rather, what I imagine this film to be based on the short story (which you can read in its entirety right here if you are so inclined). My mind can't quite reconcile those two things.

If Cthulhu is actually in At The Mountains Of Madness I'll be disappointed in Del Toro. However, Del Toro doing a movie with Shoggoths in is definitely something I want to see.

Dami Fayse:
If Cthulhu is actually in At The Mountains Of Madness I'll be disappointed in Del Toro. However, Del Toro doing a movie with Shoggoths in is definitely something I want to see.

This.

Felt the need to be pedantic and point out that Cthulu doesn't appear in AtMoM. I won't hold it against the film if they do deviate somewhat, though - Lovecraft had a thing for expressing the horror of his environments by talking about horrifying, unfathomable, alien...geometry. Which isn't the scariest thing in the world.

Tom Cruise ewww. He only plays one role and it isn't fun to watch.

jonnosferatu:

Dami Fayse:

This.

Felt the need to be pedantic and point out that Cthulu doesn't appear in AtMoM. I won't hold it against the film if they do deviate somewhat, though - Lovecraft had a thing for expressing the horror of his environments by talking about horrifying, unfathomable, alien...geometry. Which isn't the scariest thing in the world.

Well...it wouldn't be it you showed it on a screen. That just wouldn't work.

I don't see a Lovecraft movie working, really, the effect was in the writing style, and it tended to feature things you couldn't show. I don't see a Tom Cruise movie working, cause Tom Cruise would be in it.

These two things are unlikely to cancel each other out.

Also...I liked Hellboy...but sticking big tentacles in does not make you Lovecraft.

thaluikhain:

jonnosferatu:

Dami Fayse:

This.

Well...it wouldn't be it you showed it on a screen. That just wouldn't work.

I don't see a Lovecraft movie working, really, the effect was in the writing style, and it tended to feature things you couldn't show. I don't see a Tom Cruise movie working, cause Tom Cruise would be in it.

These two things are unlikely to cancel each other out.

Also...I liked Hellboy...but sticking big tentacles in does not make you Lovecraft.

The horror also comes from the atmosphere, which I think can be done.

I also don't get the hate for Tom Cruise as an actor. He's hardly on the level with any of my favorites, but being the insane public relations figurehead for an evil cult doesn't automatically make him a terrible actor.

jonnosferatu:
The horror also comes from the atmosphere, which I think can be done.

Possibly, but you'd be hard pressed to find anyone to create an atmosphere the way Lovecraft could.

jonnosferatu:
I also don't get the hate for Tom Cruise as an actor. He's hardly on the level with any of my favorites, but being the insane public relations figurehead for an evil cult doesn't automatically make him a terrible actor.

No, but it doesn't stop him from being a terrible actor either.

The Shade:
I'm torn. I love HP Lovecraft, and I like Del Toro a lot. But... Cruise? Sorry, Del Toro, but my boycott stands stronger than my appreciation for your films. I will not be seeing this.

Boycott? Over what? Because you don't agree with the person?

It's almost hilarious how even in this thread such simplemindedness, like skipping a movie because of an actors private life, can run rampant. I guess I give people too much credit.

As for Cthulhu movies, there are already a couple of great ones out. An indie crew made a fantastic black and white adaptation of The Call of Cthulhu, Jacob's Ladder borrows heavily from Lovecraft and there are plenty of non-mainstream adaptations being made all the time, some of them really fantastic.

(at this point I could shill out totally for my own short The Music of Erich Zann, featured at IndieGoGo, but I totally wouldn't sink that low.)

(Or would I?)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or