Laser Enthusiast Builds Super-Dangerous Homemade Pistol

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Laser Enthusiast Builds Super-Dangerous Homemade Pistol

If you thought a laser pointer in your eyes was bad, then you haven't seen anything yet.

It's going to be a long time before we swap out bullets for blasters, but it seems like that fateful day is inching closer, thanks, in part, to a hobbyist with a fondness for sci-fi style weaponry.

Patrick Priebe, a German laser aficionado, has constructed a pistol capable of firing a laser pulse that will punch a hole through a razor blade and scorch wood.

Priebe built the gun by hand, taking around 70 hours to finish it. He made the body out of brass and aluminum and made the center plate out of Plexiglas. The gun works by firing a high-powered pulse of infra-red light. While labeled as a one-megawatt pulse, Priebe admitted that that was a very rough estimate and that the real power of the pistol is around 10 kW. Even so, it's still capable of doing quite serious damage to a wide variety of objects, not least of which are people's eyes and skin.

The goal was to make something as compact as possible, and the finished product measures a little over 12 inches long, and weighs around two pounds. It also looks like a slightly meaner version of the Portal gun, but that's probably accidental. The pistol was a commission, although Priebe said that he would make more of them if people wanted them to buy them.

Source: Hacked Gadgets via Dvice

it needs to go PEW PEW so bad...i wonder how hard that would be to add

I wonder what kind of range it has and its power seems a bit on the light side (bwhaha get it?), unless we are invaded by jellyfish monsters, really angry balloons, or thin strips of foam

quite cool looking tho

Hmm...dang, a little polish and we might have laser guns here soon. Actual ones from say, Fallout maybe. o.o;

IT'S BLUE, I WANT ONE. >_>

I would like a fifty foot model, please. With a turret, a comfy seat, and a nice cupholder.

Your puny lasers are no match for this!

En garde!

MAKE MOAR!

I wonder how much it costs? I would totally buy one.

....OMFG! IT LOOKS SO AWESOME!

I am so buying one right now! *checks wallet*

...Damn it...

Damn... Thats awesome. Maybe next he can scale it up into a laser rifle, and maybe some speakers with blaster noises

I WANT ONE! NOW!

Eh...tasers are just cooler.

Also, they work to a degree, which is nice.

Aylaine:
Hmm...dang, a little polish and we might have laser guns here soon. Actual ones from say, Fallout maybe. o.o;

IT'S BLUE, I WANT ONE. >_>

Goes well with your name.

OT: ....WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANT

That is quite awesome, if they manage to get it more powerfull and smaller it would be the perfect assasination weapon.

If a hobbyist can make this, in his spare time, with fairly simple components, then why haven't we already got military grade laser weaponry already??

EDIT; Ok people, you can stop quoting me now, it's getting annoying. I was already aware of everything that everyone has already explained to me even before the first 4 attempts to educate me on the subject. Now it's just annoying.

Not that impressive, it looks nice but it doesn't really seem to do a lot of damage.

Hawk of Battle:
If a hobbyist can make this, in his spare time, with fairly simple components, then why haven't we already got military grade laser weaponry already??

Perhaps we already do...

I genuinely never thought we would see really laser guns within my life time, but given how I've got another 60 years (probably), I will probably have a laser one day. AWESOME. And slightly scary.

I want one if a shotgun or crossbow form.

IMA FIRIN' MAH LAZER!

I need one of these... how much do think it'll cost me.

And could he get in legal trouble for peddling weapons?

i like it....whats the asking price?

Hawk of Battle:

Because the effective range of that gun is probably less than 10 meters.

I want one.
So badly.

"Many balloons died, to bring us this information"

OH NO! you know what this means?! ww3 the Germans are going to be fireing lazers!? AHHHH! PEW PEW!

Beastialman:
I want one if a shotgun or crossbow form.

I want one in minigun form

The Hairminator:

Hawk of Battle:

Yes, of that gun, that gun that was built by 1 dude on his own with commerically bought parts that can punch through plastic and burn skin. Throw a couple million into it and get some top notch scientists and technicians to improve the power output and you could easily have a full blown weapon.

Now he needs to build a more powerful version, make himself a costume and become a vigilante.

Hawk of Battle:

The Hairminator:

Hawk of Battle:

Yes, of that gun, that gun that was built by 1 dude on his own with commerically bought parts that can punch through plastic and burn skin. Throw a couple million into it and get some top notch scientists and technicians to improve the power output and you could easily have a full blown weapon.

Hey guys. You know they are already WAYYYY Ahead of you. Have none of you heard of the lasers being tested to be mounted on navy ships? You know the ones that can burn through 20 feet of steel per second? ( http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/18/navy-breaks-world-record-futuristic-laser-getting-real/ )

Wodan:

Hawk of Battle:

The Hairminator:

Hey guys. You know they are already WAYYYY Ahead of you. Have none of you heard of the lasers being tested to be mounted on navy ships? You know the ones that can burn through 20 feet of steel per second? ( http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/18/navy-breaks-world-record-futuristic-laser-getting-real/ )

That's more like it, but if I understand correctly that one is mostly being designed to shoot down incoming missiles. And they're testing railguns for more offensive actions. But unfortunately I do not own a gigantic ship, nor do I plan to launch attacks at neighbouring countries (yet, anyway), so I would be more interested in something more compact, like laser pistols or laser rifles, which bizzarely we still don't have yet.

The future's here kids.

Interesting; not so safe if some dumbass gets his hands on it and starts blasting people; but seriously thats something really cool

Needs a charge function so it goes *trigger hold*VRRRRRRR*trigger release*ZZZZAAAAPPP!

I bet this thing drains batteries like a mother though. Also how comes he didn't show it off with a lens? Unless I missed a bit all of that video was without a lens?

Hawk of Battle:

The military is currently testing a large cannon that sits on top of an APC. It's made to fire heat at you in such a quantity as to be unbearable, like getting the worst sunburn of your life in about 2 seconds from a FUCKING long ways away. It was featured on Future Weapons, but I can't remember what they called it.

We're not far off

OT: It's cool that everyone's saying it's cool... And really it is, I was just expecting more people to wonder "Dude, that looks fucking dangerous" and he's willing to sell them to whomever... I don't think I like this...

Hawk of Battle:

-Zen-:

Perhaps we already do...

Wodan:

Hawk of Battle:

Google the Boeing YAL-1 Airborne laser.

The main problem is that for the money lasers don't offer much effectiveness. Except for very, very specific targets a missile, artillery or gatling gun is a more effective and cheaper way of killing things from a distance.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here