Laser Enthusiast Builds Super-Dangerous Homemade Pistol

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

-Zen-:

Hawk of Battle:
If a hobbyist can make this, in his spare time, with fairly simple components, then why haven't we already got military grade laser weaponry already??

Perhaps we already do...

Found it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Active_Denial_System

Wonder how much damage is does to a person...

The casing he has built looks nice, but really all he has done is taken a commercially available laser and fitted a shiny case and battery pack.

I wouldn't get too stoked about "lazor gunz pew pew" quite yet, there are a LOT of issues with taking something like this, which is effective over a few inches, and turning it into something "useful" that works over longer distances. Most notable is the power requirement which goes up at a staggering rate as you try and increase the distance. Beam dispersion, ionisation of the atmosphere in the beam, energy dissipation, power sourcing, optical resilience and overall reliability all need to be worked on too (to name a few).

Right now the best attempt I have seen was a US Army project to intercept incoming missiles. The power source was the size of a semi-trailer and the laser was in a separate semi trailer "next door" iirc.

I had a friend who used to build lasers in his spare time. He would build lasers that took about 70 hours to charge and would punch a hole through a car door as big as your fist. This shoots more and it's a lot more portable but seriously unimpressive both technically and destructively compared to the whompers he would build. It's a toy essentially. The things my friend Aaron would build were seriously weapons.

So this one is ten kilowatts, eh? (Despite the on-video "megawatt" claims)

The Navy's system is 500 kilowatts, and can supposedly burn 20'/second of metal...

So... 1.21 gigawatts, anyone?

That is so awesome. I want one!!!

This is so cool, it's tempting me to play Fallout New Vegas again with laser weapons.

Hawk of Battle:
If a hobbyist can make this, in his spare time, with fairly simple components, then why haven't we already got military grade laser weaponry already??

um, yeah... go to youtube and type in military laser weaponry and see what you find. Also, if I may have a chance at blowing your mind a bit, if you have seen transformers 2, the rail gun on the navy ship actually exists; maybe not exactly like what is depicted in the movie, but definitely a working model.

amazing, something bigger would be deadly to a human but still just bounce off of surfaces or not penetrate, you can see it as a law enforcement weapon in the future right?
and how quiet is that!? STEALTH LAZERRRRR

Daystar Clarion:
Your puny lasers are no match for this!

En garde!

lol, only true if you have the reflexes and my Wii Fit says that I am 62 years old according to those.

OT: I want one (drools)

This potentially has enough power to blind a man in one shot.

And if it does he built a weapon that is officially banned by the UN Convention of 1980

Well done.

Edit: Yes there are militarized laser technologies not only implemented against rockets and such but also implementable against human beings (And bloody hell we have had them for a long time). But again the UN declaration of 1980 bans the use of military laser equipment that might permanently blind a man.

And let's be honest such a weapon would be the end of human-human warfare. A laser sniper just has to hit his victim twice blinding him for life, no shots heard no bullets left no possible trajectory to determine. And with enough power the laser cannot go off trajectory like a bullet does.

This is made of WIN!!!!!!!
Kick Ass! >:D

CommanderKirov:

And if it does he built a weapon that is officially banned by the Geneva Convention.

Well done.

To be fair, I think a gun is also capable of blinding a person in one shot and those are legal according to the Geneva Convention.

While this might be considered a weapon, so might an airsoft gun or paintball gun and I don't see any serious restrictions on selling those. They can do far more damage at 10m than this thing can.

thaluikhain:
Eh...tasers are just cooler.

Also, they work to a degree, which is nice.

Tasers? Cool?

Also, this is awesome. Imagine sniper rifles with something like this. Wind? No effect. Coriolis-effect? No effect.

Of course, if it's raining, you're screwed.

hawk533:

CommanderKirov:

And if it does he built a weapon that is officially banned by the Geneva Convention.

Well done.

To be fair, I think a gun is also capable of blinding a person in one shot and those are legal according to the Geneva Convention.

While this might be considered a weapon, so might an airsoft gun or paintball gun and I don't see any serious restrictions on selling those. They can do far more damage at 10m than this thing can.

Actually I was mistaken, it was not the Geneva Convention it was UN protocol from 1980.

Anyway, yes normal gun is. But as i described in the addendum to my post. The Laser based weaponry is much much more dangerous not deadly mind you, but dangerous.

It's all so beautiful.

Next up las pistols.
warhammer 40k HERE WE COME!
(sorry warhammer junkie)

So what are the laws against owning laser weapons?

we do already have military grade lasers, northrop grumman has designed airborne laser cannons that attach tothe front end of a plans nose

Finally, there a a weapon I can use to defeat the vile horde of black balloons infesting my basement! They will rue the day this might laser weapon was invented!

For a moment let's say that this really is an indication that wide-spread laser-based weaponry is on the horizon.

Now, what kind of implications and ramifications can EMP warfare, which is progressing at a similar rate, have on a laser equipped military and what kind of collateral damage might result?

Hawk of Battle:

Wodan:

Hawk of Battle:

Yes, of that gun, that gun that was built by 1 dude on his own with commerically bought parts that can punch through plastic and burn skin. Throw a couple million into it and get some top notch scientists and technicians to improve the power output and you could easily have a full blown weapon.

Hey guys. You know they are already WAYYYY Ahead of you. Have none of you heard of the lasers being tested to be mounted on navy ships? You know the ones that can burn through 20 feet of steel per second? ( http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/02/18/navy-breaks-world-record-futuristic-laser-getting-real/ )

That's more like it, but if I understand correctly that one is mostly being designed to shoot down incoming missiles. And they're testing railguns for more offensive actions. But unfortunately I do not own a gigantic ship, nor do I plan to launch attacks at neighbouring countries (yet, anyway), so I would be more interested in something more compact, like laser pistols or laser rifles, which bizzarely we still don't have yet.

there's also anti tank versions, strapped to high altitude planes with amazing accuracy:

EDIT: ninja'd

sgtpepper999:
we do already have military grade lasers, northrop grumman has designed airborne laser cannons that attach tothe front end of a plans nose

Is there an ATF report button?

CommanderKirov:
And let's be honest such a weapon would be the end of human-human warfare.

I'm going to have to stop you right there, because the world's heard that one before.

First the mind controlled car and now this.

Future is coming

whats its power source? thats damn cool. If he can get his theoretical 1MW pulse, we can see this as a real weapon :O

imagine sniping with a laser gun! no drop-off or lead necessary!

I finally got a look at the thing. It looks like some mash up of a reciprocating saw and a hair dryer.

Add a noise, and fire a red light at the same time.
Scale up firepower
????
Profit

First lasers then portals, muhahaha

Someone get me the cake!

Mass Effect here we come!

The3rdEye:
Now, what kind of implications and ramifications can EMP warfare, which is progressing at a similar rate, have on a laser equipped military and what kind of collateral damage might result?

Very little, most likely. Building protection from EMPs is much, much easier than making EMP weapons.

Ekonk:
Also, this is awesome. Imagine sniper rifles with something like this. Wind? No effect. Coriolis-effect? No effect.

Of course, if it's raining, you're screwed.

Wind and coriolis effect? C'mon, the much greater advantages would be having no effect due to gravity, no recoil and no worrying about the target moving in the time between firing and hitting. Yes, strictly speaking not "no", but you know what I mean

Except, of course, you're still going to be killed when a homemade bomb goes off on the road you're driving past, despite all sorts of high tech gear.

Iridul:
The casing he has built looks nice, but really all he has done is taken a commercially available laser and fitted a shiny case and battery pack.

I wouldn't get too stoked about "lazor gunz pew pew" quite yet, there are a LOT of issues with taking something like this, which is effective over a few inches, and turning it into something "useful" that works over longer distances. Most notable is the power requirement which goes up at a staggering rate as you try and increase the distance. Beam dispersion, ionisation of the atmosphere in the beam, energy dissipation, power sourcing, optical resilience and overall reliability all need to be worked on too (to name a few).

Right now the best attempt I have seen was a US Army project to intercept incoming missiles. The power source was the size of a semi-trailer and the laser was in a separate semi trailer "next door" iirc.

A really interesting thing about lasers is their ability to burn a plasma channel through the air. A plasma channel actually has a property called negative resistance, in which an initial high voltage is required to form the electric spark can rapidly break down into a high current low voltage arc. The arc only needs to be hot enough to maintain the plasma channel, distance isn't a requirement.

We might not have laser weapons in the not to distance future but directed energy weapons in general look promising.

-Zen-:

Hawk of Battle:

Perhaps we already do...

Who's we? My conspiracy sense is tingling...

Now, This is what Max Payne 3 should have this time around.
*PEW* *PEW*

I think this deserves a song.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook