Laser Enthusiast Builds Super-Dangerous Homemade Pistol

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

A dangerous toy is right, that looks like something straight out of a sci-fi show. With or without the covering. Damn . . .

I wonder how long it is before we hear news of robberies with laser guns. That would be weird.

thaluikhain:

The3rdEye:
Now, what kind of implications and ramifications can EMP warfare, which is progressing at a similar rate, have on a laser equipped military and what kind of collateral damage might result?

Very little, most likely. Building protection from EMPs is much, much easier than making EMP weapons.

Maybe you're right, but at the same time when the federal commission to assess the threat of EMP attacks upon the US says "The ability to recover from this situation is an area of great concern" in regards to the recovery from an emp strike, I think there's grounds to take a pause. Sure our military hardware will upgrade with EMP countermeasures along with the lasers themselves, but even now the military and government countermeasures sound to be lacking, to say nothing of the public sector. Of course this is all speculative based on casual 'research', but that's what makes it fun.

I want one. But I don't know what I would do with it. Like, at all. Can't use it for self defense, can't shoot people for fun... It is too dangerous for fun and too not -dangerous for practicality.

Need two. Now.

-Zen-:

Hawk of Battle:
If a hobbyist can make this, in his spare time, with fairly simple components, then why haven't we already got military grade laser weaponry already??

Perhaps we already do...

http://www.amazing1.com/burning-lasers.htm#_blank

The future is here

So, why doesn't the worlds militaries, use lasers again?

Seriously.

Last time I checked, the entire reason of why we don't have lightsabers and plasma guns was that of powering the weapon while keeping it compact and portable, not so much as actually shaping it into blasts or swords.

This seems to solve it.

Hawk of Battle:
If a hobbyist can make this, in his spare time, with fairly simple components, then why haven't we already got military grade laser weaponry already??

The Geneva convention forbids it, actually. I think. Something does.

now we need proper taser knuckles, a mega buster, and a death star laser to be invented

i wonder why he went with an infrared laser, and not one with a shorter wavelength like blue or violet, given that power increases approximately as the inverse of wavelength if all else is equal.

....O_O

*goes for wallet. NOW.*

Wow. If I thought that I could ship that here, or if I thought it wouldn't cost more than $500, I would totally want to buy one. Cool...

Hawk of Battle:

The Hairminator:

Hawk of Battle:

Because the effective range of that gun is probably less than 10 meters.

Yes, of that gun, that gun that was built by 1 dude on his own with commerically bought parts that can punch through plastic and burn skin. Throw a couple million into it and get some top notch scientists and technicians to improve the power output and you could easily have a full blown weapon.

You also have to factor in the costs of re-tooling our manufacturing plants for such weapons, plus the cost of re-training the entire armed forces on how to use and maintain laser weaponry.

The benefits of man-portable energy weapons over existing weapons aren't great enough to justify spending that much time money and effort. Hell the M4 is rated for precision accuracy against a man-sized target up to 500 meters.

Until there's a major breakthrough that makes lasers worth replacing projectile weapons (lower maintenance costs, or lower cost to operate), you won't see congress throwing any money at it.

Though, the Air Force is looking into mounting lasers onto AC-130s (as if they don't have enough firepower already) for use against ground targets. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Tactical_Laser

SilentHunter7:

Hawk of Battle:

The Hairminator:
Because the effective range of that gun is probably less than 10 meters.

Yes, of that gun, that gun that was built by 1 dude on his own with commerically bought parts that can punch through plastic and burn skin. Throw a couple million into it and get some top notch scientists and technicians to improve the power output and you could easily have a full blown weapon.

You also have to factor in the costs of re-tooling our manufacturing plants for such weapons, plus the cost of re-training the entire armed forces on how to use and maintain laser weaponry.

The benefits of man-portable energy weapons over existing weapons aren't great enough to justify spending that much time money and effort. Hell the M4 is rated for precision accuracy against a man-sized target up to 500 meters.

Until there's a major breakthrough that makes lasers worth replacing projectile weapons (lower maintenance costs, or lower cost to operate), you won't see congress throwing any money at it.

Though, the Air Force is looking into mounting lasers onto AC-130s (as if they don't have enough firepower already) for use against ground targets. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Tactical_Laser

I wasn't talking about immediately, overnight, replacing all guns for all military forces the world over, I was simply stating my amazement at why we don't even have a single man-portable prototype energy weapon anywhere in the world when it is clearly plausible to make one.

I wish I hadn't made my initial post now, that comment has been quoted now more than any other I have ever made, with people completely taking what I've said the wrong way, as well as shoving facts that I am well aware off down my throat as if I don't already know that, yes, there are very large aircraft/shipboard laser systems being used, but that wasn't what I was talking about.

I'm gona have to start sticking qualifiers in all my posts from now on, explaning every little detail of what I know on any given subject and asking people not to re-explain such things to me multiple times over because this is getting a little ridiculous now.

yeah but then again the airforce is awesome like that

Hawk of Battle:

I wasn't talking about immediately, overnight, replacing all guns for all military forces the world over, I was simply stating my amazement at why we don't even have a single man-portable prototype energy weapon anywhere in the world when it is clearly plausible to make one.

As far as prototypes are concerned, you never know what they might have. But when you look at the state of the United States finances right now, it's no mystery why no such project is being funded, publicly, at least. We can't even spare the funds for a proper space vehicle.

Hawk of Battle:

SilentHunter7:

Hawk of Battle:

I wish I hadn't made my initial post now, that comment has been quoted now more than any other I have ever made, with people completely taking what I've said the wrong way, as well as shoving facts that I am well aware off down my throat as if I don't already know that, yes, there are very large aircraft/shipboard laser systems being used, but that wasn't what I was talking about.

I'm gona have to start sticking qualifiers in all my posts from now on, explaning every little detail of what I know on any given subject and asking people not to re-explain such things to me multiple times over because this is getting a little ridiculous now.

Ah, but we (as in, humanity) do have such weapons. They're just not very "nice" (like land mines, flamethrowers and cluster bombs), so are banned under Protocol IV of the UN Convention on Certain Conventional Weapons. For example, the Chinese ZM-87 was designed to permenantly blind enemy troops at the range of serveral kilometers or temporarily blind them at ranges of 10KM or more. Obviously, having been designed in the '80s, its a big, heavy piece of kit (its intended to be fired from a tripod, like a Heavy MG). Systems desinged to cause temporary blindness are still being developed, such as the American PHASR, which (supposedly) only causes temporary blindness and so isn't covered by the UN Protocol. Similar systems are also employed in active defence systems installed on armoured fighting vehicles. The most famous example is probably the Russian Shtora system used on the T-90, which incorporates lasers to "blind" enemy range finders.

Essentially any further development of lethal laser systems is hampered by the current regulation because anything lethal out to a useful range will also be blinding. Personally, I'm of the opinion that this is no bad thing - weapons purposefully created to permenantly disable without being able to kill "cleanly" (as much as that word isn't adequate), or even at all, is something that has no place in a modern military.

Celtic_Kerr:
The military is currently testing a large cannon that sits on top of an APC. It's made to fire heat at you in such a quantity as to be unbearable, like getting the worst sunburn of your life in about 2 seconds from a FUCKING long ways away. It was featured on Future Weapons, but I can't remember what they called it.

We're not far off

That doesn't actually burn you fyi. It's microwave radiation (so not a laser at all), and what it does is activate the pain nerves on your skin. So it does indeed hurt quite a bit, but ideally without lasting effects. (Hasn't really been tested to see if there's any long term effects though; possible damage to the eyes is of concern).

The real question here is how much does he want for those lasers.

It will officially be the future when energy weapons become standard military armament.

Great. Another way for idiots who think they're cool to seriously hurt themselves and others. =S

Lasers aren't toys, people.

Hexenwolf:

Celtic_Kerr:
The military is currently testing a large cannon that sits on top of an APC. It's made to fire heat at you in such a quantity as to be unbearable, like getting the worst sunburn of your life in about 2 seconds from a FUCKING long ways away. It was featured on Future Weapons, but I can't remember what they called it.

We're not far off

That doesn't actually burn you fyi. It's microwave radiation (so not a laser at all), and what it does is activate the pain nerves on your skin. So it does indeed hurt quite a bit, but ideally without lasting effects. (Hasn't really been tested to see if there's any long term effects though; possible damage to the eyes is of concern).

Yes, I did actually read the article that I submitted. It's actually an energy microwave beam that they use. I believe they did test some to the eyes, but they claimm the chances of develloping cancer are very low. They're done alot more testing since 2002 when they released it

I want one, I dont care how much it is, i just want it!

It looks like it has a range of like 3 inches. And it can burn through plastic, but you need to stick it right up to a thin piece.

I hate to like rain on everyones parade, but bullets are still way better.

Must Have one.....

War will be peace now :)

Ah, finally, the revolution can begin!

That thing is very cool - love the look, and making it even slightly function is just a bonus! The fact it can punch through polystyrene instantly is just gravy ^_^ Cool stuff - I wonder if he works making film props or something?

This needs awesome music and stormtroopers. Or robots. And explosions.

Eldarion:
It looks like it has a range of like 3 inches. And it can burn through plastic, but you need to stick it right up to a thin piece.

I hate to like rain on everyones parade, but bullets are still way better.

Cheaper too. The device will probably be less durable and easy to maintain than a common or garden firearm as well.

It's less effective to make trendy stuff like lasers practical than it is to make practical weapons effective. Paint it pink and write "Hello Kitty" on it, et voila.

Okay, somebody start timing to see how long it takes to make this illegal!

I doubt lasers will ever have a huge presence on a battlefield. They have enormous potential for negating the threat from ICBM's and such weapons and if they can improve the efficiency a good bit it might even make air to air missiles obsolete as well, but the power input would just be too demanding for a vehicle or handheld weapon to ever be more effective than coventional weapons. The points about laser firing sniper rifles is interesting, since it would make the job as simple as point and click on the person that you want to see dead and it'd be much more stealthy as well, but even with major advances in technology I'm quite sure the lasers power source would still have to be bigger than the sniper himself. In close quarters, a gun really doesn't have to do anything that a reliable little MP5 isn't capable of, except maybe slightly longer range and capacity for for open areas, and for those, you already have assault rifles, which offer those traits, and in my opinion even those are less pleasant to use than submachine guns.

Admiral Stukov:
The future's here kids.

Seconded. Who cares about jetpacks or flying cars when you've got massively powerful and interconnected computers?

I've got roughly one thousand dollars worth of spending money available to me at this moment, if the price is within my reach, I'm down for buying one.

Celtic_Kerr:

Hawk of Battle:

We're not far off

OT: It's cool that everyone's saying it's cool... And really it is, I was just expecting more people to wonder "Dude, that looks fucking dangerous" and he's willing to sell them to whomever... I don't think I like this...

If you wanted to buy a gun right now you could. At any rate, we'll be hearing about news reports of a laser accident soon enough...

justnotcricket:
Great. Another way for idiots who think they're cool to seriously hurt themselves and others. =S

Lasers aren't toys, people.

Even if you take everything away, they'll still find something to hurt themselves with. Look at backyard wrestling.

**Someone ranting about how awesome their i-pad is**

"Excuse me a second" **Plus out lazer pistol** "You were saying?"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook