Laser Enthusiast Builds Super-Dangerous Homemade Pistol

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

SmileyBat:

justnotcricket:
Great. Another way for idiots who think they're cool to seriously hurt themselves and others. =S

Lasers aren't toys, people.

Even if you take everything away, they'll still find something to hurt themselves with. Look at backyard wrestling.

This is eminently true, I just happen to spend an inordinate amount of time working with very dangerous lasers, and the whole 'Yay! Pew pew pew!' attitude here sent chills down my spine. =S

I realise people are kidding, but when you're responsible for the health and safety of an entire laser laboratory, you get twitchy about this sort of thing ;-)

I don't know if I trust the credentials of a man who writes such sentences as "Moment of impact, freezed"...

I'm SO going to buy one..

pewpewpewpewpewpewpewpewpew!

Daystar Clarion:
Your puny lasers are no match for this!

En garde!

haha that en garde part made me laugh, nice one.

OT: well we have had laser type technology like this for quite a while, glad to see a non mainstream user is able to construct something like this, this is pretty cool! if only it would have it's own cool sound effects..

This is totally freakin badass.

But can it be set to stun? THEN I'd want one.

Um... no. Watch the video again and pause it at 2:03. See that there? The little oblique spheroid of blue-white light? To my mind, that is proof that it is not what he says it is. If it were a laser pulse you would not be able to see anything from the side. I'm fine with this sort of thing in fiction, in fact, I really like it, but in reality? No. I doesn't happen. Also he states that it is a ball of plasma in mid flight. A Plasma is superheated gas found in a star where Nuclear Fusion takes place. Plasma is also notoriously difficult to maintain control of, the most popular way (used in about 70% of experimental fusion reactors) is a huge magnetic field, ie not one that can be produced by something hand-held such as his foot long "pulse laser". Personally I'm inclined to think that it's a projectile weapon with a camera flash incorporated into the design.

Sorry to be a kill-joy and all, but I thought you deserved to know...

not_the_dm:
. A Plasma is superheated gas found in a star where Nuclear Fusion takes place. Plasma is also notoriously difficult to maintain control of, the most popular way (used in about 70% of experimental fusion reactors) is a huge magnetic field, ie not one that can be produced by something hand-held such as his foot long "pulse laser".

Control != create. It's reasonably easy to create plasma. Light a match and put in a microwave: Plasma! (do not do this at home). The "only" thing yo have to do to create plasma is knock some electrons of the gas moleculs. The easiest way is with a high power energy beams, like say a laser beam.

jcg:

not_the_dm:
A Plasma is superheated gas found in a star where Nuclear Fusion takes place. Plasma is also notoriously difficult to maintain control of, the most popular way (used in about 70% of experimental fusion reactors) is a huge magnetic field, ie not one that can be produced by something hand-held such as his foot long "pulse laser".

Control != create. It's reasonably easy to create plasma. Light a match and put in a microwave: Plasma! (do not do this at home). The "only" thing you have to do to create plasma is knock some electrons of the gas moleculs. The easiest way is with a high power energy beams, like say a laser beam.

You're talking about ionised gases, whilst plasma is ionised it is also superheated. Indeed, ionised gases are formed all the time on Earth, by the UV radiation emitted by the sun, by radioactive sources such as the Americium in your smoke detector and a plethora of other things. My point (admittedtly poorly outlined) was that the plasma would have simply sparked out without sufficient containment, such as a tokamak.

Pew pew pew! <3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or