UK Atheists Hope to Eliminate Jedi Population

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 27 NEXT

UK Atheists Hope to Eliminate Jedi Population

The non-religious in the UK hope to pull a Darth Vader and get rid of anyone claiming to be a Jedi.

2011 is a census year for the UK, with the last held way back in 2001. A campaign run by citizens that don't follow a particular religion is actively going after those that claim to be Jedi for the census, which was actually very common 10 years ago, to hopefully ensure that the results are as accurate as possible.

The government uses census data to determine government policy and funding in various areas, including that of faith-based schools and organizations. The group running the "You're Not a Jedi" campaign claims that "Jedi" is not an acceptable religion and hopes that people will check "No Religion" in the census instead of saying that they follow the ways of the Force.

"If your religion is of low enough importance to you to that you are willing to put in a religion from 3 good sci-fi films from years ago, and 3 more recent rubbish ones,please consider ticking 'No Religion' instead," the campaign writes. "By ticking 'No Religion', you will ensure that the Government receives an unambiguous message about the number of non-religious people in the UK."

In 2001, nearly 400,000 people wrote "Jedi" as their religion in what was seen as a widespread joke. This led to the founding of the UK's Church of Jediism which is still an active organization.

The issue is that the UK government could be getting the wrong idea about the amount of people within its borders that are religiously devout, versus those that just like to hold a lightsaber on the weekends. If Jediism has actually become a religion for you, sure, go ahead and write "Jedi" in the census. If not, it might be best to check "No Religion." The latter is probably the smartest move anyway, just in case a Sith Lord rises to power and decides to eliminate the competition.

Source: You're Not a Jedi, via Boing Boing

I agree with their view, the British Government is a shambles anyway. They need all the help they can get... But at the same time its funny.

OR.

I wonder what they'd think about the metal for the 2011 census campaign.

Why do they even need to know? They have no reason to care.
I'm still fucking putting Jedi.

If the government interprets the population of "Jedi" as devoutly religious there is a bit of a problem in the area of COMMON SENSE.

Also:

Tom Goldman:
...versus those that just like to hold a lightsaber on the weekends.

Does that sound like a euphemism to anyone else?

Honestly, shut the fuck up people (the guys in that "movement", not Tom, obviously).

It's all the same nonsense. It should never matter for any government functions whether people have any religion at all, so the fact that it's included in a census is rubbish anyways.

Personally I say go for the high score guys. 50% Jedi or bust.

Pastafarians or Adeptus Astartes also acceptable.

Sounds like someone's jealous, but not everyone can control the force.

I don't care if people pick jedi because if I got my info right the religion was around BEFORE the movies and that gorge Lucas used the belief to base a sci-fi movie of it not the other way round. But if people pick jedi as a joke then don't

Im putting Nodyte...
Personal joke.

They're right. Taking the piss is funny up to a point, but botching an attempt at furthering secularization is taking it a bit far.
You will not be able to excise the cancer of religion by laughing at it, that's for sure.

I don't understand....

Why not just Jedi Mind Trick more?!

Caliostro:
Honestly, shut the fuck up people (the guys in that "movement", not Tom, obviously).

It's all the same nonsense. It should never matter for any government functions whether people have any religion at all, so the fact that it's included in a census is rubbish anyways.

Personally I say go for the high score guys. 50% Jedi or bust.

Pastafarians or Adeptus Astartes also acceptable.

But it does.

It's stuff like this that gives the government an idea of what to do in the local area. This is also the kind of stuff used to justify more religious faith schools.

You could almost say they're trying to execute order 66 maybe? Get it? Geddit?

...Yeah I'll get my coat.

I live in the UK and I will put jedi as a from of protest. Althrough I do not really belive in any religion, and while I agree that some of the questions in the census are usefull to the government I do not belive that it is any of their bussiness what I do and do not belive in. Other questions ask if you have ever or are currently feeling depressed or what your general mood is. Here is my respones Mr.Cameron. MIND YOUR OWN FUCKING BUSINESS!!!!!!!!!

Nimzar:
If the government interprets the population of "Jedi" as devoutly religious there is a bit of a problem in the area of COMMON SENSE.

Also:

Tom Goldman:
...versus those that just like to hold a lightsaber on the weekends.

Does that sound like a euphemism to anyone else?

Just don't say that here in the states. Certain Christian and Catholic priests may take umbrage at the visual imagery presented. Even though it is relatively accurate.

It's ridiculous to say that people shouldn't self-identify as a particular religion unless they reach some standard of devoutness. It seems almost reasonable when we apply it to stuff that seems like a joke like the Church of Jediism, but if we apply it to a more privileged religion like Christianity, it gets ugly. People wouldn't accept being told that they can't identify as Christian unless they can show that they REALLY, TRULY BELIEVE, instead of just like to go to church on weekends. It would be offensive if a private organization ran a campaign like that; it would be a significant step toward religious hegemony if the actual government decided to require a standard of devoutness for census responses.

Unabletothinkofname:

I have heard of this. I can't decide whether to put No Religion or Metal. :/

This isn't a UK only thing. In 2001, a lot of English speaking countries had this happen. Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and Scotland all had a significant number of citizens claim to be either "Jedi" or "Jedi Knight" on their census forms. In my opinion, it's more a philosophy than a religion, so what's the big deal. And because someone has to say it:

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."

Bull shit. Next time Gallop calls me or the Census Bureau asks me, I'm putting "Jedi."

It seems definitive, Atheists can't take a joke.

Jedi ftw.

in the name of the bass, the drums, and the mighty electric guitar
*/Bruce Dickinson* AMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN!

Yeah I did think about this when our census form arrived yesterday...

The truth is, Democracy is 51% telling the other 49% how to live. Why is it not acceptable? I could see if they were seeking some kind of special treatment as a religion, but this is just over a census. The truth is, they shouldn't be asking that question anyway. A census is supposed to be just a headcount. It's not supposed to tell you everything about all of it's citizens, some information that is apparently very private, like what religion you believe in.

Haha, this is funny though. The Anti-Jedi group should just realize this is only going to make them more powerful than they could possibly imagine... but all jokes aside, this will just make more people write in a religion. And if they don't like it, they should just consider converting any Jedi claims to "No Religion" by default. It is just a headcount after all, right?

Also, I love how the refer to the prequels as "rubbish", because it's so true.

Bobzer77:
It seems definitive, Atheists can't take a joke.

Jedi ftw.

They are by far the most serious and annoying folks around whenever the topic comes up. I put them up there with the Jesus freaks who get in your face to save your soul. They are simply the other side of the isle, haha.

"NO, You MUST show me proof of GOD!"
"But you can't show me proof of not god?!?!"
"So, I don't need to!"

Haha, this should be turned into a web video series.

Danzaivar:

DAMN YOU NINJA!!!

But seriously the census is pretty important, we all had a good laugh back in 2001, so now I think everyone should do it properly, mmmmkay?

It was as though a thousand killjoys cried out in anger and refused to be silenced.

What if I get a red pen and scrawl BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD across religion.

Will they file that under 'other'?

Pretty foolish campaign; putting down "Jedi" is going to send an even stronger message about indifference to religion - to the point of not taking the concept more serious than other fiction - than putting down "no religion" is, so it's undermining its own stated purpose.

And interfering with a good joke isn't cool.

Basically what I am getting from this thread is that the other option for religion on the UK census is going to be used to identify the percentage of the UK population that are trolls. Hmm. Could be useful information I guess.

Wait, so this is actually becoming an official religon? LIke the Church of Star Trek in Futurama? I heard inklings of this in places like New Zealand with a few people following the Jedi philosophy, but it would be awesome to see it get more recognition. Afterall, being a Jedi never hurt no one(Or at least didn't kill no one).

For the record though, look at buddist philosophy and look at the jedi teachings. They're so similar it's scary.

I'm athiest but I would totally put Jedi on to spite these chaps if I lived in the UK.

Hell I might do that next time the US Census rolls around...if it asks...

Unabletothinkofname:

Hey! I'm doing that!

Wouldn't make sense for the government to consider all that kind of result to be a 'No religion' result anyway?

moretimethansense:
It was as though a thousand killjoys cried out in anger and were soundly ignored.

Much better

Actually I think this is old news. As I recall the guy who set up the website was informed that those who choose Jedi aren't included in the statistic of religious people in the UK. But since that's been removed from the website it might be right after all. Who knows?

Danzaivar:

Hahahaha Dude I got it XD

The order Darth Sideous gave to the clone troopers to eliminate the Jedi.

Good joke man eventhough I feel like a huge dork for getting it.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 27 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here