UK Atheists Hope to Eliminate Jedi Population

Pages PREV 1 . . . 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

For the record i am a uk based devout atheist and i have no problem with people putting whatever they want for religion on the census, i have contemplated putting all manner of ridiculously geeky stuff for religion myself, "FOR CHAOS" for example.

This thread helped me to properly define ironic. A group of atheists are trying to tell another group that their faith isn't a religion?

also noted - this top shelf trolling "If your religion is of low enough importance to you to that you are willing to put in a religion from 3 good sci-fi films from years ago, and 3 more recent rubbish ones,please consider ticking "No Religion" instead." WOW How could I not see what you did there.

I hate Antijeditism

This article poses a hilariously wrong-headed argument. If all the guys who ponder, even once, if they could use the Jedi mind trick to convince the big-titted blond in the bar to fellate them don't count as official Jedi unless they wear their robes and lightsaber every day, what about all the Christians who kinda believe in God but do not go to church?

Those are the people who should mark 'no religion' according to the anti-Jedi argument. Not to say this is a bad thing, but then the population suddenly shifts to 90% no religion. Again, that sounds good, but this is clearly not the fault of the Jedi.

Also, religion is stupid and should DEFINITELY be laughed at, preferably derisively, at every opportunity. Who knows? Maybe treating every official Jedi as a weekend warrior will teach them something about the other world religions.

Aureliano:

Also, religion is stupid and should DEFINITELY be laughed at, preferably derisively, at every opportunity. Who knows? Maybe treating every official Jedi as a weekend warrior will teach them something about the other world religions.

0/10

I am not British so I won't be counted but if I was I'd put Dude-ism.

Eldarion:

eljacko:
Speaking as an atheist, I can understand why people write in Jedi. It's all very funny to be facetious in such a silly, ridiculous manner, and the novelty of it is all very interesting.

That said, as an atheist I also feel that people shouldn't be doing this. This census data is important, and is actually used for things. If the UK government believes there are enough atheists there, then the atheists of the United Kingdom may finally get some much-deserved political representation.

Atheists don't need political representation. Its not a group, its a label given to people who don't follow any kind of religion.

Christians or any religion of any kind should also not have political representation. Keep that crap separate from governmental affairs. Keep it in church were it belongs.

People should all be represented as people.

I'm all for the separation of church and state, but the fact of the matter is that politicians already pander shamelessly to the religious demographics, especially the Christian demographic, I seriously believe it affects legislation. What I'm saying is, I would like atheism to be accommodated by the Christian-centric state.

eljacko:

Eldarion:

eljacko:
Speaking as an atheist, I can understand why people write in Jedi. It's all very funny to be facetious in such a silly, ridiculous manner, and the novelty of it is all very interesting.

That said, as an atheist I also feel that people shouldn't be doing this. This census data is important, and is actually used for things. If the UK government believes there are enough atheists there, then the atheists of the United Kingdom may finally get some much-deserved political representation.

Atheists don't need political representation. Its not a group, its a label given to people who don't follow any kind of religion.

Christians or any religion of any kind should also not have political representation. Keep that crap separate from governmental affairs. Keep it in church were it belongs.

People should all be represented as people.

I'm all for the separation of church and state, but the fact of the matter is that politicians already pander shamelessly to the religious demographics, especially the Christian demographic, I seriously believe it affects legislation. What I'm saying is, I would like atheism to be accommodated by the Christian-centric state.

Its wrong that any religion gets political power and if atheists need specific representation it validates the power Christians hold currently. I know that church influences state anyway, but I won't stand for making it easier for them to take my rights away by giving them an official system for doing so. I already can't get married to a male partner in several states over here.

The only thing that bothers me when I hear about the Jedi religion is that they call the religion "Jedi" in the first place. Isn't Jedi simply a warrior for this unnamed religion? It'd be like catholics saying "my religion is Bishop".

But it does.

It's stuff like this that gives the government an idea of what to do in the local area. This is also the kind of stuff used to justify more religious faith schools.

## Fricken A ##
They can build a Jedi Faith School in my back yard. We could show the holy trilogy, read some scripture from the grand admiral thrawn story and se what it would of been like in the old days by using the "KOTOR" simulator.

I put "Jedi" on my last census, i will change it this time...... to Sith, every jedi walks down the dark path once and a while.

Why the hell does it matter is what I want to know. If enough people check 'non-religious' will they stop subsidising faith schools and paying for the CoE? Like hell.

It's there so they can know more about demographics so some fucking idiot in an office somewhere can use it to target his business plans which have been consistently shown to be about as successful as a monkey throwing darts at a wall in order to try and make us all vote tory. Or labour. Or whoever the hell gets the information next.

I really don't like pointless questions, if people want to give a stupid answer to a stupid question, more power them.

Pft, I'm an athiest & not even a big Star Wars fan & I'd totally put Jedi down for the census if I could get away with it.

Bobzer77:
It seems definitive, Atheists can't take a joke.

Jedi ftw.

As Darth Vader once said "their lack of faith is disturbing" (SIC)

Even Commander Shepard doesn't implore people to change their beliefs!

Unless, you know, my argument is a bullet and their belief is the want to live, but regardless.

Atheists coercing people to join their camp. The irony is delicious.

hooksashands:

This is the funniest thing I've read today. Put my thoughts regarding this matter into words perfectly! Kudos!

Holy thread necro, Batman!

Way to make atheists look like humorless assholes... you humorless assholes.

that would be funny if someone joined this religion just because they wanted to get a real working lightsaber, which would be fantastic but also would requier years of traing just to learn the force just so you could turn it on.

hooksashands:

Not every Atheist is up for this you know. I think it's a minority that TRIED to do it. The site is down after all.

Just 1 year necro? I've seen better.

Good Lord! The Atheists have become the Sith! And only Sith deal in absolutes such as this! Everyone convert to Jedism!

hooksashands:

It really is isn't it? Also your avatar is a good album.

BlumiereBleck:

hooksashands:

It really is isn't it? Also your avatar is a good album.

How is this still going. Pretty sure I commented on this when it was relevant.

Anyway, no it's not ironic because the thing you seem to think is happening isn't happening. They're not trying to coerce people to become atheist, they're trying to convince people who are irreligious already to just put irreligious so government will no we're a large group that needs consideration. In Ireland you can be fined up to 25 grand for blasphemy. So yeah there's still a problem in this world with religious rules dictating the law (gay marriage, abortion, euthanasia, it's illegal to sell alcohol on good friday here, hell I remember reading an article here that said in one state it's ok to bully people if it's for religious reasons. Basically Christians are allowed pick on gay kids.)A lot of countries are having trouble with freedom of (which also includes freedom from) religion and separation of church and state.

Oh dear, the government doesn't have a clear gauge on how to waste tax dollars trying to pander to us emptily! Whatever shall we do!

And yes I know this is a year and a half old now. I didn't put it on the front page and disguise it as being relevant, though!

Necro thread ARISE!

My friend filled in my form, and added a load of junk, but luckily they lost the forms for our entire street, so we had to do it again, this gave my aunt the opportunity to list her husbands race as "Irish Traveller" (a.k.a Gypsy) He was not amused.

Has anyone thought that the Sith are just using Atheists as cover so they may try to destroy the Jedi again.

I think so. This doesn't look good my Jedi Allies.

This pictures seems relevant

Seriously, some Atheist need to get over themselves and stop trying to tell other people what to do.

but what if there really are people that follow Jedism?
I also don,t really see why this is a issue I can understand stuff like splitting religion and state but a few Star Wars fans doesn't really look like a issue

I think it's wonderful idea to screw with governments by using science fiction movies to make them see how you take " religion " seriously one tip though. I suggest updating every few years of which science fiction you use maybe even including a few video game ones as well ( yes I'm aware their are some star wars games but I mean GOOD games ). For instance if I were to mess with my government I'd use this as my religion just as an " example " ( see below ).

If anything at least I'd say it's an accurate depiction of my faith in human nature , our future , or in the government. In other words not much at all.

Could we stop Necro'ing year old threads?
K?
Thanks.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 62222)