The Serious Sam Indie Series: It's Not Weird Tentacle Stuff

The Serious Sam Indie Series: It's Not Weird Tentacle Stuff

The most macho meathead in videogames is getting a serious makeover in the Serious Sam Indie Series, a collection of three new games developed by acclaimed indie studios.

I've often felt that Serious Sam, as both a character and a franchise, would make a fine candidate for an artistic reinterpretation at the hands of an indie developer. Something set to royalty-free neo-classical music, perhaps, with a time-shifting mechanic that allows Sam to examine his motivations and come to grips with the philosophical disconnect that separates him from his nemesis, Mental. And now my prayers have been answered!

The Serious Sam Indie Series takes the world's most famous Croatian FPS franchise to completely unexpected places. First on the list is Serious Sam: Double D from Mommy's Best Games, a frantic, hand-drawn side-scroller for PC and consoles that introduces the exciting new "Gunstacker" technology. Then comes Serious Sam: Kamikaze Attack!, an auto-runner for mobiles developed by Be-Rad Entertainment that has players leading a squad of Headless Kamikazes as they try to blow Sam to smithereens. And finally, we have Serious Sam: The Random Encouter, an RPG - that's right, RPG - from Vlambeer featuring Sam leading an intrepid team across a harsh wasteland, battling hordes and collecting loot.

"I've never heard of any of these indie clowns," said Fork Parker, chief financial officer at Serious Sam 3: BFE publisher Devolver Digital. "Do any of these jokers make hentai games? I'm telling you guys, that weird tentacle stuff is the future of gaming."

The games will be released over the next few months as a lead-up to Serious Sam 3: BFE, which comes out sometime this summer. If you happen to be stopping by PAX East this weekend you can get an early look at Serious Sam: Double D at the Mental's Horde Recruitment Center booth.

Fork Parker is the best marketing tool ever created ever. That is all =)

"weird tentacle stuff is the future"

Man speaks the truth. This is all genius.

I had to read the article twice just to make sure I hadn't fallen through some void. What does that quote have to do with anything? Regardless I share the same curiosity as Fork Parker now.

"Do any of these jokers make hentai games? I'm telling you guys, that weird tentacle stuff is the future of gaming."

Instant quotability. I love it.

Why have I not heard of this man before. I have been blind, but now I can see.

Why couldn't we get this years ago, we already have an upcoming true serious sam game this year, I don't need this!

Andy Chalk:
"Do any of these jokers make hentai games? I'm telling you guys, that weird tentacle stuff is the future of gaming."

It's funny cuz it's true. Seriously.

Neptunus Hirt:

Bam! Tit job!

Fork Parker is possibly my favourite industry executive ever.

Mommy's Best Games has done pretty good stuff before. I believe it's a former member of Insomniac, iirc.

Totally down for some weird tentacle stuff

Andy Chalk:

Neptunus Hirt:

Bam! Tit job!

I'm going to have to second this motion - this is pretty much all I've heard of him and he sounds fantastic. In a hilariously-easy-to-target-by-Fox-News fashion, of course, but then Fox-baiting's half the fun and should probably be adopted by the industry as a whole :]

Kevin butler couldn't get away with that, am I right?

It's interesting that last time Fork Parker made a statement, the joke completely flew over most people's heads. This time round, there's a significantly less amount of, for want of a better word, whooshing.

On topic: Nice to see Croteam plug some indie developers: even if it's an excuse to sell a few reskins.

Reminds me of codename Freeman in ways.

Edit: Or was it Codename Gordon? ...I forgot, either way interesting! I like 2D games and all that nonsense so this looks awesome.

Delusibeta:
It's interesting that last time Fork Parker made a statement, the joke completely flew over most people's heads. This time round, there's a significantly less amount of, for want of a better word, whooshing.

Further proof that no one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the public.

Most macho meathead? I think that title belongs to the Duke...

why does "indie" automatically mean "2-d sidescroller"?

it seems like that's ALL they ever make, or else its 3d knockoffs of better games that suck horribly.

Deathkingo:

Not a chance. Duke talks the talk but when it comes down to the crunch, he ain't got nothing on Serious Sam Stone.

(And I was wondering when this point would come up. :) )

Andy Chalk:

Neptunus Hirt:

Bam! Tit job!

For some reason, I can't get this image out of my head when I think of this guy:

Deathkingo:

Serious Sam is a reputable mercenary heralded as the last hope of humanity.

Duke is just an asshole with some guns.

Andy of Comix Inc:

Deathkingo:

Serious Sam is a reputable mercenary heralded as the last hope of humanity.

Duke is just an asshole with some guns.

But an asshole with BIG guns! Isn't the term meathead supposed to be sort of an ass? I mean, it really sounds that way...

Deathkingo:
Isn't the term meathead supposed to be sort of an ass? I mean, it really sounds that way...

I thought it was defined by overall gruffness and neck size. Also intelligence (or, lack thereof).

I'm not sure if I am digging this 2d remake. I first played Serious Sam in 3D, so this feels like a step back to me. I might check out a trial I suppose.

Serious Sam is a HUGE meathead. Thick neck, thick biceps and thick head. He kicks ass everywhere he goes and he sure ain't the brightest kid on the block - but he's also not an offensive, puerile asshole, unlike certain similar game characters who shall go nameless. (Duke Nukem. Whoops.)

Waif:
I'm not sure if I am digging this 2d remake. I first played Serious Sam in 3D, so this feels like a step back to me. I might check out a trial I suppose.

With all due respect to the developers and their games (which I shall most certainly be playing), you realize that these are primarily being done as promos for Serious Sam 3, right?

Andy Chalk:

Waif:

With all due respect to the developers and their games (which I shall most certainly be playing), you realize that these are primarily being done as promos for Serious Sam 3, right?

I didn't pause to think that they were meant to be promos, however, if they are free I would give them a try. Though if it does cost money, I might just wait till Serious Sam 3, which I know will be awesome. No disrespect to the franchise or the developers was intended.

Fork Parker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir5mw3D2L_s

Obviously, he's not a real person. :P
There's more funny promotional videos for SSHD on Youtube, which used to be on the main page, but they're not available there right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YD0yeuuOrY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH4wSR-dwZU

The side-scroller reminds me of Manhatan Project :)

Andy of Comix Inc:

I thought it was defined by overall gruffness and neck size. Also intelligence (or, lack thereof).

Aha! Meathead-adj.-Usually said in describing a male who frequents the gym obsessively and only is concerned with "getting big", and who possesses little or no other qualities or personality (according to urban dictionary). Well, since both men do not frequent the gym and are instead saving the world, perhaps we should coin a new term?

Serious Sam: Double D from Mommy's Best Games,

Oh, I see what you did there...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or