Japanese Engineers Build Bottle Rocket Firing Exoskeleton

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Japanese Engineers Build Bottle Rocket Firing Exoskeleton

Six months of effort and planning went into making the rig, which is seemingly designed just for messing around in and having fun.

What would you do if you had an exoskeleton of your very own? Fight crime perhaps, or maybe wrestle alien horrors? You probably wouldn't use it to play baseball with a spring onion, or steal sodas from your friends, but then again, you're also probably not a member of the Skeletonics team.

The three-man team took six months to build the rig, from the first concept to the finished product. The goal was to extend the range of human gestures without adding motors, and using a combination of ingenuity, planning and a lot of aluminum, they achieved it with aplomb.

The first half of the video shows the design process, from the planning stages through to the rig's manufacture. The second half, however, shows what the team did with the rig after it was done, including the aforementioned vegetable sports, as well as firing off its hidden, arm-mouted rockets in a parking lot.

As the rig is unpowered, and thus doesn't make the wearer any stronger, it probably won't kick start the creation of Gundams or anything that that. It's still a very impressive piece of engineering, however, and I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to take it out for a spin. I mean come on, it has rockets.

Source: io9

That is so freaking awesome. I mean, I actually think it's more impressive that they can translate that much human motion into an exosuit -without- powering it. The bottle rockets are icing on the cake. However, when they finished opening the really-slowly-opening-door the guy inside should have yelled "Get away from her you bitch!" Opportunity lost.

The cosplay possibilities for the robo-minded masses are endless ;-)

I want one. Wonder how long till there on Amazon?

lol, oh my.

Not much you can do with that suit but seems to be fun to mess around using it. :p

suffers from short armed t-rex syndrome, otherwise very cool

Oh you Japanese people. Such a small country and they're going to rule the world. So sad. So, so sad.

If they could Slap on a Power pack,some armour and make it like this.

I'd send them ALL my money.

Damn. I wonder if one could strap straight into that thing and be able to balance, or if it would take time to fine one's bearings?

Isn't that exactly what the US army was working on making for their footsoldiers?

It's still uber-kewl.

i can only say one thing...do want

That is AWESOME! I have to admit though, it looks like if you accidentally lost your balance and fell forward, it could be dangerous.

ITS PERFECT
except, it needs to be black, and have activate-able LEDS.
you know, so you can hide in darkness, then light up and make park goers pee themselves.

Very cool, those guys obviously had a blast! Would be neat if they'd have some sort of arm movement exaggeration - longer reach or something, just to add to its functionality. But there were rockets, so all is forgiven!

Power armor, o so close to being reality.

That was awesome! Just put some power and armor on it and iŽll want one!

Just a little point. As awesome as this is, I have to say I think it would have been better to have the shoulder->elbow parts of the arm longer so it reaches to his actual elbow and have the arms running more paralell to the side more than above.

Nonetheless, awesome work and brilliantly done. When can we expect mass-production to start so we can all have fun with them? (Albeit that you might need to remove the bottle rockets as some people would just use that for wrongdoing)

Daemascus:
Power armor, o so close to being reality.

Actually there already is a powered exo suit, I can't remember who made it anymore but yeah we are getting very close :)

Wicky_42:
Very cool, those guys obviously had a blast! Would be neat if they'd have some sort of arm movement exaggeration - longer reach or something, just to add to its functionality. But there were rockets, so all is forgiven!

"Gah, I can't reach my bottle of coke... but it's ok! I have rockets!"

And he didn't even need to buy Mentos.

This is so cool. I know what's going on my Christmas list.

That is so goddamn fucking awesome! We need to fund this guys so that we may get Gundams!

Really , really cool.
The movements were awesome and fluid, though it did have some problems picking up a can of coke.
But still, I'd love to try it out. And if they could put some covering stuff on it, too...holy shit, it would be even more awesome.

I think the most important question raised by this video is this: where the hell did they get that 1litre can of coca cola?!

I want one! NOW!

Seriously, this is the most awesome thing I've seen all week!

This this is the precursor to the Shirow Masamune's Landmates or the Arm suits from Ghost in the Shell?

Well, I guess you have to start somewhere...

Actually, this is totally sweet.

YOu can just see him giggling maniacally as he runs down a street in broad daylight firing rockets at terrified Japanese pedestrians.

I know it isn't powered yet, but this is clearly the beginning. I don't think it'd be too hard to fit a motor in there, add some pistons to the joints and armour plating and suddenly you've got a fully functioning battle mech.

It only needs 2 things to be complete, "armour" (plastic, aluminum, whatever, just for looks not functionality) and then a curved display linking to a head so the 'driver' can see where he is going in the suit.

But it's so damn awesome even without those things!

*drool*

I want one! That'll make getting work in a traffic jam a breeze!

Is it just me, or does the rig look like a Version 1 mock up of a Portal 2 robot cosplay suit?

Ruairi iliffe:
If they could Slap on a Power pack,some armour and make it like this.

I'd send them ALL my money.

Damn, I wasnt the first one to think of this.

The ability to mimic the hands like that reminds me of the marine suit from Starcraft / Starcraft 2. As stated above, give it a power source and some additional armor and before you know it we're taking on the Universe.

This is how wars start. Who wants th ebest toys!

I would totally give this thing a try, lol! Too bad there isn't one being made in Canada o~O.

Natdaprat:
I think the most important question raised by this video is this: where the hell did they get that 1litre can of coca cola?!

Japanese vending machines.

Must fund......
I want battle ready exos.

All they need to do now is fix up the design and make it a bit better. Like changing the arms. They need to be dropped down a bit lower and made a bit longer maybe. Other than that it looks quite good.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here