Keyboard, Mouse and Gamepad Combine to Form World's Most Awkward Controller

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Keyboard, Mouse and Gamepad Combine to Form World's Most Awkward Controller

What do you get when you combine a wireless motion-sensing mouse, a computer keyboard and a PlayStation-style controller? I don't know, but it sure looks uncomfortable to hold.

No matter our gaming platform of choice, we can probably all agree that different kinds of input devices are suited to different kinds of games. You can't beat a mouse/keyboard setup for an FPS, RTS or MMO, but fighting games, platformers and action games just feel better on a console controller. And then there's all this motion-control stuff that when used properly is pretty darn cool.

So if you put them all together, then you'd obviously have the best and most useful gaming peripheral of all time, right?

As it turns out - no, not so much.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not insinuating that the Veho Mimi isn't an interesting gadget. It has a full console-style controller complete with D-pad, two analog sticks and four shoulder buttons. It has a complete QWERTY keyboard with hotkey support. It even has an accelerometer, meaning it can be used as a mouse-slash-motion control device. This is kind of like the Voltron of input devices, when you think about it.

It just looks ridiculously awkward and uncomfortable to hold. I've seen cinder blocks that looked more streamlined than this puppy. You'd have to have the hands of a giant to hold the thing in the first place, but then you'd need the fingers of a ten-year-old kid to use the keyboard. And if you're using the keyboard with both hands, how are you supposed to use the mouse functionality - and that's not even getting into the typical WASD/Mouse setup of an FPS.

If you're dying to try the Veho Mimi for yourself, you can pick it up for $119.95. The device will last for 20 hours of continuous use on a 3-hour charge, though I'd be willing to bet most gamers wouldn't be able to last 20 hours holding that monstrosity.

And we thought the Jaguar's controller was weird.

(Via Kotaku)

I'll stick with the full-size wired keyboard and wired mouse, thanks.

Not worth the price...

Looks to me like a 360 controler with an underneath keyboard. I believe you can get an add on keyboard for a 360 controller, so why is this necessary, besides who would pay that much for a controller?

Now stick a joystick in there and you've got something truly awkward.

Not only does it look uncomfortable but what's the point? If you're on a console you won't be allowed to use the keyboard or mouse components in game and if you want to type you're better off plugging in an actual keyboard rather that lugging one around with your gamepad. If you're on a PC presumably there's already a keyboard and mouse attached and if you'd rather game with a gamepad again you wouldn't want a keyboard glued to the bottom.

I really really really wish that Microsoft and Sony would require fully keyboard and mouse support for their games for those of us who prefer that method of controller. However this strange device isn't doing anyone any favors.

actually, an analog stick with a mouse would be PERFECT controls for an FPS - aiming with the mouse, forward/back and strafing with the analog stick for variable walk/run speeds. I actually think that the Wii's nunchuk is the best concept for that so far, since you can hold it in one hand - the only thing you need is a mouse instead of a wii-mote attached and it's perfect.

This monstrosity, however...

It is an abomination! Kill it with fire!

better just to get a game pad or to hook up a 360 controller with the texting thing connected

Seeing that make the Keyboard Gamecube controller more appealing (it pretty much look like the Gamecube controller cut in half and attack at a keyboard sides and it suppose to be use for games like PSO E1&2)

Nothing about this seems like a good idea, least of all the price tag.

coldfrog:
actually, an analog stick with a mouse would be PERFECT controls for an FPS - aiming with the mouse, forward/back and strafing with the analog stick for variable walk/run speeds.

When I have the option I use a joystick + mouse combination and it's great, and an analog stick has many of the same advantages. However an analogue stick doesn't give you much button access whereas a good joystick has lots of options. Mine is fairly basic and I still have immediate access to a hat switch, trigger, and several additional buttons. With a gamepad you generally don't have more than the analog stick, a trigger, and probably a shoulder button or two.

While I generally find that PC gamers who cry "consolization!" are scapegoating the trend towards gamepad support has decimated game options. Playing Thief and Thief 2 there are a dozen different things I can do right at my fingertips . . . Thief 3 cut that in half since it was a multiplatform title and gamepads simply can't handle many immediate access buttons. :(

Well, I have the keyboard attachment with my Xbox 360 controller, it is a lot easier using that to enter text instead of the on screen keyboard. But it is by no definition a 'full use' keyboard, and I wouldn't think of using it for gaming. It's basically like a phone or PDA keyboard, way to small.

This thing is for PC though... where I already have a mouse and keyboard by default, and I can plug in any of a variety of controllers if I want.. So why would I need this huge Frankenstein's Monster of all of them? The mouse function seems like it would be awful imprecise as well...

I wonder how much it weighs?

Anyway that's just multifunction-pathetic, this is multifuction-awesome:

I actually would love the chance to try it. If the price was right.

Free Arthritis for $120?
WHAT A DEAL

Well that's new.

I have now seen something that can be physically described as "What the fuck?"

Still doesn't look as awkward as the old Duke.

I bet it would be easier to type with a joystick than with that keyboard.

I don't see when you ever would want to use it? Pc's already have a mouse/keyboard, and consoles already come with controllers. So I guess if you wanted to use a controller on you Pc, but then you wouldn't want a keyboard on it, so who is this supposed to be for?

And this, children, is why you shouldn't smoke weed.

Bam. That keyboard add on is much cheaper, and it has touch sensors for mouse functionality (like a trackpad).
Really? They think that that......that...that...monstrosity is the best solution. I preedict failure, and extremely uncomfortable hands.

wootsman:
better just to get a game pad or to hook up a 360 controller with the texting thing connected

But then you don't have mouse options!

To those of you responding with a sigh of relief, I can dig it.

...somethings don't need to be combined...

Actually, compared to the original XBOX controller, this one is quite tiny. And how again are you supposed to use it as a mouse?

EDIT: Darn ninjas.

Looks more comfortable than the N64 controller.

that looks more like some kind of weird musical instrument to me then a controller...

am i the only one that sees this?

Wow, that almost looks as bad as the Dreamcast controller.

I own a Dreamcast, I'm allowed to whine about that.

F-I-D-O:

Bam. That keyboard add on is much cheaper, and it has touch sensors for mouse functionality (like a trackpad).

Ah, thanks. I was about to mock the hell out of this controller thing. But then you posted that, and it reminded me that there have been worse keyboard+controller combos out there. Seriously, that mini-keyboard Sony made is TERRIBLE. I could only put up with it for a week before sending it back for a refund. The keys are tiny and unresponsive, so you sit there and keep pushing at one button until it finally registers something, at which point it puts in the wrong letter. Not to mention that their weird "blue button" and "orange" button nonsense for extra characters and functions really destroys any useful function it has: you basically have to relearn everything you know about keyboard to come even close to getting used to using that miserable thing. Also, the "trackpad mouse" function it's supposed to have barely works when it's working at all.

So yeah. As goofy as the Veho Mimi looks, and how overpriced it is... At the very least, it can't be any WORSE than using a DS3 + Sony's absolutely awful keyboard add-on. I mean hell, the keyboard on the Mimi actually looks like a normal keyboard, and the buttons at least look big enough to be pressed.

Hang on, this looks a hell a lot like Atari Jaguar's controller!

Well, at least a bit.

That is just... the bastard child of gaming.

Stabby Joe:
Now stick a joystick in there and you've got something truly awkward.

Also a trackball. Those are still things, right?

I don't really understand the mouse functionality, you mean kind of like the way the wii-mote acts like a mouse? Because, if so, then that's not really a mouse functionality as much as a cursor functionality. If the controller were part mouse, you'd be able to slide it around on a flat service.

This might have potential if it has something on the underside you can dig your last two fingers into, but if it's just flat on the bottom, then yeah, probably not that easy to hold.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here