British Prime Minister Praises Gamer Charity

Pages 1 2 NEXT

British Prime Minister Praises Gamer Charity

UK premier David Cameron says that he is continually impressed by the charity SpecialEffects.

British Prime Minister David Cameron has praised the charity SpecialEffect for its efforts to make videogames and technology more accessible to those with disabilities. He was also full of kind words for the UK game industry, which has supported SpecialEffect efforts over the last two years.

SpecialEffect's facility is based in Cameron's constituency of Witney in Oxfordshire. Speaking at the opening of a new dedicated games room for disabled players, Cameron said that SpecialEffect's commitment to make the lives of disabled people better continually impressed him. Cameron went on to say that the charity's work brought together three things that he was passionate about: helping the disabled, using technology in innovative ways, and corporate social responsibility.

SpecialEffect receives some of its funding from the GamesAid charity, which is a videogames industry based charitable broker, raising funds and then distributing them to selected children and young person's charities. The work done by SpecialEffect, Cameron said, showed that just a small investment from businesses could make a significant difference to people's lives.

Dr. Mick Donegan, SpecialEffect's Director, said that the center was the final piece of the puzzle for the organization. It had been able to help a lot of people via its website, but until now, it had lacked a central location for people to come and visit. He said that the center would allow SpecialEffect to help people directly, rather than just advise them

Andy Payne, head of trade organization UKIE, said that videogames were often unfairly vilified, but the medium had a variety of "social, cultural and health benefits." He added that SpecialEffect was just one way in which videogames helped enrich people's lives, and said that the charity would have the industry's full support in the future.

Source: MCV

Not only is it nice to see an article like this, but I couldn't help thinking throughout the entire read, "Finally someone gets it!" Thank you UK for leading us all in the right direction, visually to the rest of the world.

Way to go SpecialEffect! Now let's see if we can get someone in government to praise Child's Play!

Folks, he is a politican confronted with an organization that helps handicapped kids.
What else was he possible going to say? That man makes a living of being popular.

Well the world is about to be consumed in 1000 years of darkness because David Cameron has done something good!

Finally i can be semi-proud of our government! Sorta...kinda...in a way...

What a cool charity. Nice of them to help disabled people to play games. But did anyone else think of SUPER EFFECTIVE when reading special effect?

David Cameron is very in favour of video games in general and the only reason he never played Mortal Kombat is because he would just pay homeless people to fight to the death instead.

IT'S TRUE.

;)

Exterminas:
Folks, he is a politican confronted with an organization that helps handicapped kids.
What else was he possible going to say? That man makes a living of being popular.

I'm inclined to agree with you, however politicians also have the power to keep their mouth shut and ignore charities like this. Cameron could've done that but he didn't, which is nice.

He praised a charity, that's cool.
Still don't agree with a word he says politics wise, and he's still a closed minded bigot, but I'll give him some points for this I s'pose.

New Troll:
Not only is it nice to see an article like this, but I couldn't help thinking throughout the entire read, "Finally someone gets it!" Thank you UK for leading us all in the right direction, visually to the rest of the world.

I so hope you're right..."Call-Me-Dave" tends to get very praisey when he's got another huge bombshell to drop on us.

And we've still got "Big Society" coming up...

Fakey Dave!

really dont know how that man sleeps at night...

Exterminas:
What else was he possible going to say? That man makes a living of Trying to be popular.

Agree with this, with that little change. What they're doing is fantastic and although Cameran's reasons for saying he likes all of this are a little squint, some publicity for the good they're doing is great.

David Cameron did said something...nice? Witchcraft!

I know he unfortunately lost his son who suffered from a disability, so I guess this charity hits close to home for him.

Im happy for the recognistion and praise, but this could be bad, it just means theres another organisation he can now try and cut or attempt to tax in some way.

No ones safe with Dave at the wheel!!!

Aulleas123:

Exterminas:

I'm inclined to agree with you, however politicians also have the power to keep their mouth shut and ignore charities like this. Cameron could've done that but he didn't, which is nice.

Well, he didn't probably because there is a sizable gamer population in the UK. He could have ignored it, but it would raise his popularity with two focus groups. He is a good politician. I don't know enough about the man to make any judgments based on this though. I'm just glad someone is giving a worthwhile charity some attention.

glad some recognition is coming our way. Its good to see that our chosen medium can help other in the way that other media outlets have.

Even though its Dave Cameron doing it, it still brings publicity our way. So dont worry about the reasons why he did it, just be happy that he has.

Exterminas:

My thoughts exactly, I mean he'd have to be an utter bastard to hold anything less than a grudging respect and an utter moron to give it anything other than praise and aproval.
He's a politition, they may be bastards, and they may be detatched from reality but they're not completely stupid.

Oh, it's all warm and fluffy and such, but David Cameron leads and is the embodiment of the UKs evil.
I want to tell you, if not remind some, that this man got back from the middle east not so long ago after travelling there with UK weapons merchants trying to make some money out of the crisis going on there.
Woohoo, this ex-corporate spin doctor is showing support to a charity no one could have hard feelings against. It's a well planned popularity stunt, nothing more.
Don't worry, the UKs leader is just as bad all yours, we UK gamers ain't getting any special treatment from the government.

Soooooo, UK is on its way to modernization.
First the Jedi thingy and now this.
I wonder when will they start disregarding ESRB like japan did years ago.

Glad to see more charities like this. Hopefully more and more people will recognize the good this medium can do for the world and we will become more recognized as an art and a community that gives back instead of just a group for making toys.

Thank you for having a thread that involving a politician that was nearly completely free of politics. While I'm sure this was very much a photo op for Cameron I have to agree that it's nice to see technological innovation used for socially responsible purposes and to see all the positive attention a group like this is getting.

Finally some positive news. Should help their chances with that tax cut for the UK gaming industry!

Politics. The world's most glorified popularity contest.

It sickens me that people use charities in this way.

Politics. The world's most glorified popularity contest.

It sickens me that people use charities in this way.

...David Cameron, you're still a wanker. Now how about doing something to actually help the UK -- like leaving the EU and closing our borders to asylum seekers?

I wonder if David Cameron plays video games at all? Not for any sinister side-thought.....just out of curiosity.

New Troll:

He's still going to go down in history as one of the most hated men in Recent British Politics. As has already been said, it's sickening he would use a charity for a photo op.

For those of you still thinking "well done Cameron, you're still an almighty shithead" check this out for some catharsis:

Matt Baker, you gem.

chemicalreaper:
...David Cameron, you're still a wanker. Now how about doing something to actually help the UK -- like leaving the EU and closing our borders to asylum seekers?

Although, if Cameron pisses off reactionary twats, that's a bit of a point in his favour.

Nice to see gaming getting some positive press for a change.

Problem is (as a lot of people has said) it wasn't like he could have said anything else in that situation. Now I have to deal with the mental juxtaposition of David Cameron praising something to do with gaming and David Cameron fucking up the country.

(For the benefit of people outside the UK the current plan of his government so far as I can tell is)

1: Cut government spending resulting in major job cuts and increased homelessness.
2: Make homelessness illegal and ban soup kitchens.
3: Cut the police force.
4: ?????
5: Profit.

I might be more than a little biased because I'm Scottish but Mr Cameron can burn in the deepest pit of hell along with Maggie Thatcher if he keeps this up.

people not from the uk, dont be deceived by this hornless devil, he is nothing but a (please excuse the language) a twat.

that man does not care about the reason, merely trying to gain publicity , he is early trying to appeal to as many demographic as he can because he is so hated. and you cant blame this hate, he will do anything for a photo-op, if a story ever emerged that he saved a family from a burning house, it would likely have been him who started it

Aulleas123:

Exterminas:

moretimethansense:
My thoughts exactly, I mean he'd have to be an utter bastard to hold anything less than a grudging respect and an utter moron to give it anything other than praise and aproval.
He's a politition, they may be bastards, and they may be detatched from reality but they're not completely stupid.

jamiedf:
people not from the uk, dont be deceived by this hornless devil, he is nothing but a (please excuse the language) a twat.

that man does not care about the reason, merely trying to gain publicity , he is early trying to appeal to as many demographic as he can because he is so hated. and you cant blame this hate, he will do anything for a photo-op, if a story ever emerged that he saved a family from a burning house, it would likely have been him who started it

Hmmm, being devil's advocate for a second here I think DC's regard and admiration for the charity is pretty genuine. Bear in mind his own son, Ivan, who suffered from cerebral palsy and epilepsy, died aged 6 back in February 09 and that experience has shaped the man's attitude and outlook like it would anybody's. Support for young disabled people isn't party spin here, it stems from something pretty personal and I can't knock the guy for getting behind something that had such an impact in his own life.

It is a good thing to raise awareness for this charity, despite the fact that he's clealry doing it to bolster his popularity not to mention right off the back of dismantling the NHS. I just hope that having his name alongside this organisation doesn't do more to denigrate their public appeal.

God he's got such a smug punchable face.

Don't try and sweet talk us now Cameron. We know your ilk.

It's always good to see something like this. A person (me) gets so used to seeing the bad side of people that when he sees something like this it is almost shocking.

All I could think reading this was one word over and over again. It begins with c, and rhymes with hunt. Oh David Cameron you c-hunt.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here