Engineer Integrates Kinect with Garry's Mod

Engineer Integrates Kinect with Garry's Mod

Yelp Engineering has made the dream of Kinect integration with Garry's Mod a reality and now it wants to see what you can do with it.

You know what Kinect is and if you're reading this, odds are that you know what Garry's Mod is, too. Wouldn't it be awesome if the two could be put together? That's exactly what John Boiles of Yelp Engineering has done with the help of OpenNI, the open source software released by PrimeSense, the company responsible for the 3D motion sensing technology in Kinect.

"OpenNI provides APIs for interacting with hardware as well as incorporating higher level computer vision modules that can recognize objects and gestures," he explained. "This allows us to solve really complex problems (like tracking skeletons in 3D space) very simply, since the heavy lifting is already done for us in OpenNI."

The Kinect integration with Garry's Mod consists of two parts, a backend based on one of the OpenNI example projects and a Lua script in Garry's Mod that parses the UDP packets generated by the backend. Boiles said that interfacing with Kinect through OpenNI is "super easy" but you'll have to take his word for it, since pretty much all of this technobabble is way above my pay grade.

It's fairly basic at this point but with the "proof of concept" complete, he is now giving away the code and inviting people to "branch it and hack it" into bigger and better things. Garry Newman, the creator of Garry's Mod, said on his blog that he'd love to see Boiles' creation included with future releases of his software. I'm betting we'll see some pretty cool things from this mod in very short order.

Source: Yelp Engineering Blog, with thanks to Mechsoap for the tip.

This is AWESOME.

Wish I could be bothered enough to get it, but it would be great to be able to spawn a combine and box his head.

Ohhhhhhhhh man, I want a kinect so bad now. Valve should totally support the usage of kinect for Gmod.

OH GOD, the possibilities...

Notice how nothing awesome dealing with Kinect has anything to do with Microsoft.

Korey Von Doom:
Notice how nothing awesome dealing with Kinect has anything to do with Microsoft.

Yeah, I wonder how they managed to sell actual games for it.

I need to buy Kinect. NOW.

...Wait, they're still over $100? F*** that noise. I could get dozens upon dozens of games on Steam with that kind of cash.

ThePeaceFrog:

Just wait till the Second Life crowd gets wind of this.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

ThePeaceFrog:

They will fuck everything in site literally now :)

Somewhere deep inside me, I like to believe that 83% of those Kinects Microsoft sold were sold to hobbyists, programmers, and people who make things like this... instead of the massive crowds of enthusiastic but inexperienced Wii graduates looking for new ways to play virtual tennis.

Now, if only they can invent a good way of moving around the world... something like, I dunno, the Wii nunchuck! Curse you, Microsoft! Curse your aversion to actual controllers and your hard-headed focus on innovation at the expense of gameplay!

We are one step closer to the holodeck!

I will say that's awesome, although needs some work. But awesome.

Just to be a troll... +1 to PC gamers! lol

V8 Ninja:
I need to buy Kinect. NOW.

...Wait, they're still over $100? F*** that noise. I could get dozens upon dozens of games on Steam with that kind of cash.

Or a second xbox for the lulz

when the addon costs the same as a second-hand console, there's problems

I can see this being very useful for machinimas when it's polished, but I don't see building with it.

That's quite impressive indeed, it looks like Kinect can be used as a low budget mocap camera.
I hope we san see a cool, or at least a decent machinima made with it.

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

ThePeaceFrog:

OH GOD! thay would be humping the hell out of the air! and fail dancing for real.

the machinima will become epic if this goes mainstream.

WHY MICROSOFT ONLY USING THIS TO MAKE WII RIP OFFS!?

It's interesting that, in theory, this could be used to create, if not a true holodeck, then the next best thing. The video shows that the Kinect can accurately track a character's movements in the game world based on the movements of the gamer. All you would need to do, if you were a resourceful programmer, is to program the game to show everything from the first-person perspective of the avatar (Garry's Mod being based off Half-Life 2's engine, I doubt that would be difficult), program the Kinect to translate your head movements into the avatar;s head movements, then stick on a set of TV Glasses.

Honestly, if you did all these things, you would have for all intents and purposes a functioning holodeck. Obviously, you'd be limited to walking around in Garry's Mod, and you wouldn't be able to truly interact with anything a la Star Trek, but the most important part would be there: the sensation of viewing a digital world from within.

I bet you anything, someone's already working on it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here