Peter Molyneux Apologizes for Over-Promising

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Infamous videogame over-promiser Peter Molyneux wants to apologize for making game features up on the spot to stop game journalists from falling asleep.

Lionhead's Peter Molyneux is an interesting fellow. He can say that (the then-upcoming) Fable III has the "greatest cast" ever in a game, and then turn around and call himself a "talentless bastard" who has "never made a great game." Gamers probably know him best for his grand visions and promises that never quite make it into the final shipped versions of his games - such as being able to plant an acorn in Fable and see it grow into a tree.

Molyneux was awarded a British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) Fellowship tonight, following on the heels of legendary gaming guru Shigeru Miyamoto. According to Eurogamer, the Fable creator took the opportunity to apologize for failing to deliver on some of his promises for games past.

"I'd like to thank the press, by the way, for listening to my stuff," said Molyneux in his acceptance speech. "Sorry - I've slightly over-promised on things on occasion," he understated. "I could name at least 10 features in games that I've made up to stop journalists going to sleep and I really apologize to the team for that."

I have to admit, I wasn't expecting "made up a feature to stop a drowsy games journalist from falling asleep in an interview" to ever be a reason for anything - especially when bro-hugs work so much better. To be honest, I'm fairly sure that he's probably joking there (though with Mr. Molyneux, it's hard to tell), even if his apology for over-promising is itself sincere.

"Every day I wake up and thank the stars that I'm still here now," said Molyneux to conclude his speech. "I love my job so much and I really feel like going home and working harder than I've ever done to prove that I deserve this award."

Peter Molyneux is the fourth game developer to receive a BAFTA Fellowship. Other recipients include the aforementioned Miyamoto, SimEverything creator Will Wright, and Pong creator Nolan Bushnell.

Don't worry, Peter. We still love you. Without you, the industry would be marginally less wacky, and that would be a shame.

(Via Eurogamer)

I like Peter, he make me laugh.

..So where Fable 3 on the PC?

Judging by past experience, I'd say this means a new Peter Molyneux game announcement is right around the corner - and it will again feature plenty and to spare of promises.

Coming soon, from Lionhead. The Promise Preventor 9000, immediately interrupts all 'enthusiasm' within a 2 mile radius, utilising a high pitched noise!

100% effective, it also, shits gold and makes sandwiches!

pre-order yours now!

...I forgive you, Peter.
But only because your you. Just remember to stop adding gimicky features, and focus on the core game itself, and you'll do fine. =)

Your like 3 games too late Peter. Okay, I forgive you (virtual hug).

hahahaha... oh man, that made me chuckle. he's definitely a chronic "over-promisor", but he's still a brilliant one. also, love the comments so far. and honestly, his broken promises have hurt me less than the ones other people made, like the "Fallout 3 will have over 1000 possible endings" bullcrap.

Two quick things;

1) I'm fairly certain that Peter Molyneux already apologized for this kind of thing at least once. Possibly twice. If it comes down to it I'm sure an article can be found on this very site.

2) Don't be sorry, Peter, your constant attempted one-upsmanship of yourself is why we love you.

John Funk:

[ Infamous videogame over-promiser Peter Molyneux wants to apologize for making game features up on the spot to stop game journalists from falling asleep.

He can say that (the then-upcoming) Fable III has the "greatest cast" ever in a game, and then turn around and call himself a "talentless bastard" who has "never made a great game."

Am I the only one who gets a sort of Bi-polar Depression vibe from that?

I love this man. While he may not deliver what he promises every time, he has the passion, vision and enthusiasm to compensate for it. I can't help but admire Mr. Molyneux for all his energy when it comes to his work.

I'd say we need more people as outspoken about one's visions, and mistakes, as Peter Molyneux in the video game industry.

Keep on raving, you crazy British bastard! :)

Just lay off of the Fable series.
Lionhead had some pretty good games before that even.
Maybe it's time for a new IP?

Don't worry Pete, I got your back. ^^

John Funk:

"Every day I wake up and thank the stars that I'm still here now," said Molyneux to conclude his speech. "I love my job so much and I really feel like going home and working harder than I've ever done to prove that I deserve this award."

I wonder if he just said that to keep the audience from falling asleep during his acceptance speech?

Ah Peter, you're just like that mad Uncle that we have over at Xmas. Wouldn't be the same without you.

Edit: fail post.

Fable, The Movies and Black and white were good games though, Fable II was mediocre and Fable III had split opinions (some thought it was mediocre, some thought it was great.) He also promises too much.

MY NAME AHM PETER MOLYNEUX U CAN WRITE UR NAME IN TREE AND SEE IT YEAR LATER

Damnit, Peter, re make your old Bullfrog games! I can't find them anywhere!

Oh Molyneux, for years your shenanigans have entertained and delighted me. Please don't change.

Chapper:
I love this man. While he may not deliver what he promises every time, he has the passion, vision and enthusiasm to compensate for it. I can't help but admire Mr. Molyneux for all his energy when it comes to his work.

I'd say we need more people as outspoken about one's visions, and mistakes, as Peter Molyneux in the video game industry.

Keep on raving, you crazy British bastard! :)

Yea, now if only any of that passion, vision and enthusiasm could translate into a decent game. Seriously, the only good thing that Lionhead has EVER done is Black and White (1). Beyond that it has all been total shite. And not just because of his promises, either. I stopped following those after the first Fable was such a let down. All of the following were just the exact same game set somewhere different and yet almost entirely familiar.

Well peter atleas you seem enthusiastic ang passionate about games, so your like the anti kotick.
Just for the love of god stop watering down, bring back your older games, make fable more like fable, and black and white on xbox plz.

I dunno, fable N just seems to be attempted money factory, its fun but I wouldn't say the result of inspired, passionate, or visionary design. I think he had those things but has been coasting ever since. Whenever he gets found out he tries a little apology, all is forgiven, and a "new" fable is born.

I will give the man credit for owning up to his mistakes, unlike many others in the industry, and I still have hope that he'll look at his pre-fable library, or at least not look at the fable library for inspiration on upcoming endeavors.

The thing about Peter Molyneux is that he and bullfrog created some of the best gameing experiences in existence, nearly every game they released was a timeless classic (then fable happend), so you can kind of forgive him for the false promises.

He should go back to promising nothing and blowing our minds when the game is released, it used to work for him.
oh and definately stop makeing fable games, that horse has been whipped. It's getting like the RPG equivilant of the generic FPS games (COD, MoH, etc).

What Richard Garriot hasn't won the thing? What the heck?

If in Fable IV he lets me date someone other than nondescript NPCs and does something other than "Upgraded original Fable", I think we'll be fine.

I've never heard anything about Peter Molyneux before, but I've been waiting for an apology, nonetheless.

I'm almost under the impression that peter molyneux doesn't develop the game and just feels like an Idea Dog that helps produces the games at the lionhead studios.

He must be dying...Id say its a bummer but then we'd have one less bulls***ter in the world.

Don't worry Peter, we forgive you... We never took it seriously in the first place, anyway :)

I like him. You can tell he loves games and he has all these ideas that never seem to work for one reason or another. Maybe he should take a long vacation to think about a new IP in great detail.

I forgive you Peter. I have to admit, I do like having him around.

I loved watching that Livestream...

And even the rest of his team said he did that.

Peter, you are just something else...

Dr. wonderful:
I like Peter, he make me laugh.

..So where Fable 3 on the PC?

You...........did read the part where he would make things up on the spot to keep journalists awake, right?

Make another Black & White, Pete, and we're all good.

In fact, I will get down on my knees, unzip your trouser and go to town if you release another Black & White game.

But seriously though, I always wanted him to follow through on that idea for the B&W series he had in an interview all those years back, for anyone who doesn't know, effectively B&W 3 was supposed to see you at the absolute height of your power, then 4 and 5 were supposed to be your gradual decline as your religion and influence over your people became less pronounced, and you became less relevant in an increasingly modern world, reaching back to the original where you relied much more on your creature and what few followers you had than on your actual powers as a god.

I want that...Not more fucking Fable.

It's alright Peter as long as you release Fable 3 for PC.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here