NCsoft Makes Massive Donation For Japan Relief

Pages 1 2 NEXT

NCsoft Makes Massive Donation For Japan Relief

The company behind Lineage II and City of Heroes just made a donation for Japan's relief that was bigger than both Nintendo's and Sony's.

In the wake of the Tsunami that hit Japan, there've been a lot of heartwarming stories about people helping those in need, like the actors who're writing in-character messages to kids as their superhero counterparts, and now South Korean MMO publisher NCsoft has made a truly colossal financial contribution to help with relief efforts. The company has reportedly made a 500 million yen ($6.3 million) donation.

While NCsoft's games aren't nearly as popular in the States as, say, World of Warcraft or DC Universe Online, it's still a pretty massive company. Its Lineage series is is especially popular in Asian markets.

As other newsgroups have pointed out, this donation is bigger than those made by both Nintendo and Sony. NCsoft's also revealed that it's going to be continuing to offer gaming service in the country while it recovers.

Source: Yonhap News via GamePolitics

Good for them, I'd contribute to if I could, poor poor people

Caption was dK's ndstry

Just how big is this company if it's out caring both Nintendo and Sony?

I'd say, its not the amount of money but intentions that count.

I wonder how much "free publicity" is involved?

- no offense though; awesome effort.

TriggerHappyAngel:
I wonder how much "free publicity" is involved?

I wouldn't call it free publicity since it would cost the $6.3 mil. Free publicity to me is something like including super gore in your game and getting Faux to rant about it.
OT: It's nice to see things like this happen. The Japanese are going to need as much help as we can give them.

theriddlen:

raxiv:

I'd say, maybe for you, but people who are in need of help can't find their relatives with good intentions, can't eat good intentions, can't get healed by good intentions, they can't do ANYTHING with good intentions - because it's not a fucking helpful thing, they only make YOU feel better, not anyone else. And that's not the point of helping other people.

Did you donate? I did.

HankMan:

They're pretty big, they make and publish some pretty popular MMOs.
On topic, that's really nice of them. It's nice to hear that they donated that much.

6.3 mil??? o.O

American gaming companies would do well to follow this lead. If we are truly the richest nation, then let's see if we can match this kinda level of donation. You know, if they could stop their worship of the almighty dollar over human life for a friggin minute.

Good old NCsoft, congratulations to them! I'd like to think some of their games I bought helped contribute to the donation.

I have to wonder though, does anyone think Blizzard will try to one-up them and make an even bigger donation considering they probably have enough money to fund their own island nation at this point?

Wow, that is a staggering amount of money! So many kudos to NCsoft for the contribution.

As a City of Heroes player I'm always slightly surprised to be reminded that NCSoft is actually a pretty big force in MMOs.

Kudos to them. Sure they'll get some good publicity for this, but I figure they deserve it.

HankMan:

big enough to have multiple MMO's running with a big and loyal enough fan-base, dedicated enough to keep their players coming back.

stupid enough that they canceled Tabula Rasa, though, but charity is charity, and every bit helps, even though I will hate NCSoft because of the whole TR fiasco.

Wow... Kudos for NCSoft for their donation! and shame on Sony and Nintendo, whom we know are multi BILLION dollar corperations, were out donated by. Both Sony and Nintendo Could donate 50 million and still not scratch the surface of their net worth.

Ok, perhaps there is more to it then I know, but its good to see a company like NCSoft give so much in a time of need.

I love how people always seem to forget about Guild Wars. Anyway I am glad that they donated something. I know they are relatively big but they aren't really colossal like some of the other companies out there.

6.3 mil? Good on you NCsoft! Hope it helps Japan recover asap.

Good that they donate money.
Ironic is it that they never seem to care about their MMO's when they're placed in US or EU.

BrunDeign:

theriddlen:

raxiv:

I'd say, maybe for you, but people who are in need of help can't find their relatives with good intentions, can't eat good intentions, can't get healed by good intentions, they can't do ANYTHING with good intentions - because it's not a fucking helpful thing, they only make YOU feel better, not anyone else. And that's not the point of helping other people.

I may sound harsh here but when people callously throw out lines like "outcaring Nintendo and Sony" that just makes people sound like they need a good punch in the face.

I think the point was that Sony and Nintendo are both Japanese companies i.e their home nation is Japan while NCsoft are Korean.

Incidentally you might want to edit that whole post to be less of a personal attack for fear of fire from on high.

OT: *insert cheesy statement about how they didn't just make a city of heroes, they are heroes*

Scorched_Cascade:

BrunDeign:

theriddlen:

I may sound harsh here but when people callously throw out lines like "outcaring Nintendo and Sony" that just makes people sound like they need a good punch in the face.

I think the point was that Sony and Nintendo are both Japanese companies i.e their home nation is Japan while NCsoft are Korean.

Incidentally you might want to edit that whole post to be less of a personal attack for fear of fire from on high.

OT: *insert cheesy statement about how they didn't just make a city of heroes, they are heroes*

To be fair, both Nintendo and Sony suffered massive losses from the disaster as well, so just the fact that they donated anything is already great, while NCSoft sees the disaster comfortably from across the sea.

I knew there was a reason I give them my money! : )

theriddlen:

raxiv:

Indeed. As they said in The Simpsons, "my family and I can't live in good intentions". Good intentions are what I once thought the charity people (aka chuggers) were working on, until I found out they were on commission.

Belladonnah:

Scorched_Cascade:

BrunDeign:

To be fair, both Nintendo and Sony suffered massive losses from the disaster as well, so just the fact that they donated anything is already great, while NCSoft sees the disaster comfortably from across the sea.

Exactly since they are Japanese companies they are already going to take significant losses from the Quake. NCsoft is a Korean company.

raxiv:

When you're a multi-billion dollar corporation, it's not the intention, it's the size.

When you're Joe and Jane Q. Taxpayer it's the intention.

If you think otherwise you need to research just how far each charity dollar goes when you donate it, and why the larger donations from mega-corporations mean so much.

Sovereignty:

raxiv:

When you're a multi-billion dollar corporation, it's not the intention, it's the size.

When you're Joe and Jane Q. Taxpayer it's the intention.

If you think otherwise you need to research just how far each charity dollar goes when you donate it, and why the larger donations from mega-corporations mean so much.

I agree, though without any intention none would give any money to anyone.

Baldr:

Belladonnah:

Scorched_Cascade:

Exactly since they are Japanese companies they are already going to take significant losses from the Quake. NCsoft is a Korean company.

I wasn't saying that it was my view I was just explaining that the previous poster was using Sony and Nintendo as benchmarks. As they are both huge organisations compared to NCSoft and originated in Japan.

Are they a F2P developer? I'm not entirely sure. Although if they do charge I would be more impressed if they made their games free fora few months to Japan.

raxiv:

No, because this isn't just some present. You can't fix infrastructure with good intentions.

MaxwellEdison:

raxiv:

No, because this isn't just some present. You can't fix infrastructure with good intentions.

You could, if you'd go to Japan and help with your own hands.. I said in the other post that I agree with this line of thinking, but ultimately, it all starts with an intention.

raxiv:

MaxwellEdison:

raxiv:

You could, if you'd go to Japan and help with your own hands.. I said in the other post that I agree with this line of thinking, but ultimately, it all starts with an intention.

It doesn't all start with a good intention. Tons of people will do this for publicity.

MaxwellEdison:

raxiv:

MaxwellEdison:

It doesn't all start with a good intention. Tons of people will do this for publicity.

I'd like to choose and think that not everyone is a cold-calculating bastard :)

I think I can say for all of japan when I say this: THANK YOU!

So what if sony and Nintendo don't donate a huge lump sum, they bloody live there I'm sure they're doing more on the ground than foreign companies who are just sending money (which the Japanese Government have claimed they don't need).

Do you honestly think they are expecting their employees to go to work in between combing hospitals for missing family and friends? They have probably told people not to come in if they have to rebuild their lives but are still paying them their wages regardless; I'd say that's much more important than just throwing money at the problem.

double post - please ignore

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or