Much-Maligned The Hobbit Actually Starts Filming

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Much-Maligned The Hobbit Actually Starts Filming

After union disputes, sickness and bankruptcy, The Hobbit production started principal photography today.

Peter Jackson has been trying to get this film made for a bloody long time. He started off just producing the prequel to his blockbuster fantasy The Lord of the Rings with Mexican filmmaker Guillermo del Toro as director. When del Toro couldn't work the filming into his schedule, Jackson offered to step in but the financial troubles at MGM threatened to derail The Hobbit and it took a joint deal between Warner Bros., MGM and New Line to provide the necessary funds. Then, just when it looked like it was moving forward, a union boycott demanding that more roles be offered to New Zealand actors almost forced production to move to Europe or another location. Finally, Peter Jackson himself had to be hospitalized with a perforated ulcer. Despite all the troubles, The Hobbit, which will be told over two films, began capturing images on celluloid today under Jackson's direction.

The film stars Martin Freeman (The Office, Sherlock) as Bilbo Baggins journeying with a group of dwarves led by Thorin Oakenshield, played by British TV veteran Richard Armitage. Returning from The Lord of the Rings is Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, Andy Serkis as Gollum and Elijah Wood as Frodo. Also returning is Ian McKellen as Gandalf, the actor having confirmed that he will reprise his role in the new movies.

Despite the good news that Jackson has begun shooting, we fans still have a long time to wait as the planned release dates are 2012 and 2013. I'm still quite interested in the framing element of Frodo reading the story of his adoptive father's exploits from the Red Book of Westmarch. I think it will really bring the disparate elements not only of The Hobbit but also Tolkien's amazingly in-depth source material and backstory.

Ya, I can't wait.

Source: Warner Bros. PR

time to cryogenically freeze myself until the release date.

Hmm I am not sure I like this framed style of Frodo reading a book. Why did they change that damnit ?
t that has my attention.
That kinda dampened my excitement (I dont like the framed aspect for some reason) but still its the only film coming out that has my attention. Even if it is 2012/2013

Well, as much as I thought the LOTR films butchered the books, they were still enjoyable. If they're spreading one book over two films, as opposed to picking and choosign bits from each book, hopefully they can do this one justice.

Don't fuck it up Jackson!

I just hope that they still have all the songs

i didn't realise how the cast was shaping up! i gotta say, this looks really promising. i can't hide the fact that i am pretty excited for this xD

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay excessive celebration over, I do hope it turns out as good as the Trilogy. PJ handle the trilogy well and I am hoping that all these setbacks won't cause an the film to be substandard

StoryMode:

I was just thinking this. Now that we get a better rough estimate I can set the date for dethawing myself. I figure I'll go with the end of 2013 just to be safe. If I miss theatrical then it will most certainly be out on super blu-ray or whatever format we are using in the far off land of 2 years from now.

Richard Armitage the dwarf? Not sure I can picture that... should be interesting.

The actor lineup looks great! Can't wait for this to come out, I've recently been remembering how awesome the original films were :D

ScoopMeister:
Richard Armitage the dwarf? Not sure I can picture that... should be interesting.

Don't worry, there'll be a hell of a lot of make-up in this :P

not sure how i feel about Martin Freeman, he's more a comedy actor, although i guess this is Peter freaking Jackson we're talking about

RabbidKuriboh:
not sure how i feel about Martin Freeman, he's more a comedy actor, although i guess this is Peter freaking Jackson we're talking about

Have you seen him in Sherlock? He's pretty darn good in a more serious role. He's Watson =P

Veloxe:

StoryMode:

I was just thinking this. Now that we get a better rough estimate I can set the date for dethawing myself. I figure I'll go with the end of 2013 just to be safe. If I miss theatrical then it will most certainly be out on super blu-ray or whatever format we are using in the far off land of 2 years from now.

can't wait for super bluray!

StoryMode:

RabbidKuriboh:

Have you seen him in Sherlock? He's pretty darn good in a more serious role. He's Watson =P

I second that opinion.

Noooo.... Peter Jackson again... He should stick with his 'Brain Dead' movie.
Its terrible what he did to LOTR.

I just want to see what Smaug will look like. There havent been that many well done dragons in movies. I bet this will be the better one.

StoryMode:

RabbidKuriboh:

that was jude law

I'm both excited and worried...

I loved the LOTR films. But I think PJ was right to be worried about living up to the hype. Going to be an issue...

I think I'll avoid reading details about this as best as I can to avoid any hype.

RabbidKuriboh:

StoryMode:

RabbidKuriboh:

that was jude law

Sherlock the TV series. Not Sherlock Holmes the movie.

Peter Jackson lost some serious weight. Also, I look forward to this. I thought the hobbit was better than the lord of the rings in some ways.

EmperorSubcutaneous:

RabbidKuriboh:

StoryMode:

that was jude law

Sherlock the TV series. Not Sherlock Holmes the movie.

aah, my apologies

RabbidKuriboh:

StoryMode:

RabbidKuriboh:

that was jude law

Sherlock is a British series which puts a modern twist on the Holmes stories, as opposed to the Guy Richie Sherlock Holmes film which kept the Victorian setting and amped Holmes up to 11

Anyway, when you say Richard Armitage as Thorin, do mean Richard "Guy of Gisbourne" Armitage? Because that could be interesting...

RabbidKuriboh:

StoryMode:

RabbidKuriboh:

that was jude law

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_%28TV_series%29
Brilliant series btw

eh...I don't see the need for the Frodo framing device and I don't see the need for this to be split into two films. I can understand breaking certain books into two films but for The Hobbit there just don't think there are that many plot points to warrant a 2 part film.

Richard Armitage is 6'2 and Ian McKellen is 5'11. That's going to have to be some space warping makeup they use. Armitage does have a wide if long nose, small eyes and a flat prominent chin, which sits well for him looking like I imagined Thorin.

Was immediately pleased with the choice of Bilbo, I believe this will both a highlight of Freeman's career and an excellent performance once again masterfully directed by the meticulous Peter Jackson. Never would I have believed the events of the Lord of the Rings could be translated so elegantly to screen without being ridiculously long and exposition cumbersome. The man can work miracles.

As much as I do look forward to this movie, there are still read flags all over the cast as it seems, just four days ago swedish actor Mikael Persbrandt, cast to play the role of Beorn, got arrested for posession of narcotics (cocaine allegedly, and his only comments on the matter were that "It was hardly enough for one line" and "I love coke")...
(If you don't care about my semi-sociopathic-rant that will follow, don't read further than this.)

Now I would normally not react this way about such a minor character, (which Beorn actually is in The Hobbit if one looks at the big picture), but what really grinds my gears is that I ever since I first got the book read to me as a bedtime-story (or well, not in one sitting but that explains itself) I have loved the character Beorn. Never-****ing-mind that he does ****-all during 99.9% of the story, he felt like the only really relatable person in the whole story.

Now, Mikael Persbrandt is the perfect one for this role, a grumpy loner, without respect or regard for others than himself and his animal friends. A man/bear who I personally think could've been the outline for a whole series of actually good blockbusters.
And now the perfect actor for my favorite character probably will end up in prison (seeing how this is Sweden I talk about) and get sacked from the project just because he just can't keep his mouth shut.

Sad, and enough too make me sit up tonight and write out a random rant which no-one in their right mind would care for.

:)

Wow.. what? I thought they had already filmed a good portion of it, or had done a lot of work at least?

So they're starting over or never started to begin with, and they're now just announcing pre-production? Wow. Starting early with the viral campaign eh?

How could you possibly deliver on anything when talking about it for so long. People are not going to have their expectations met at this point.

This is great news. In a perfect world this would have come before the other three movies but I can't blame Jackson for doing what had to be done to get *any* of them made.

I AM SO SO EXCITED

This I approve.
I can't wait for Smaug!

I reckon it'll be better than the Lord of the Rings

I hope they keep the hilarity that was present in the actual book. Because really, that book was both epic and funny.

The fact that Martin Freeman managed to act as both Arthur Dent and Bilbo Baggins is a fenomenon of such stagering low probability that all that compiled nerdyness into one single human body will cause the entire universe to implode on the premiere night.

Not that we were doing anything special with that universe anyway, just saying...

This is awesome. Ol' Pete is going to hit the ball out of the park again, I can feel it

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here