Grand Theft Auto Originally Titled Race 'N' Chase

Grand Theft Auto Originally Titled Race 'N' Chase

The Grand Theft Auto series was pitched with a fairly lame original title.

The design document used to pitch what became the massively popular Grand Theft Auto series has been revealed by Mike Daily, a graphics engine programmer that worked on the project for DMA Design (which became Rockstar Games North) back in 1995. Back then, it wasn't called Grand Theft Auto, but Race 'N' Chase.

Of course, the title in a pitch document is far from final, but it's amusing to take a look back at Grand Theft Auto were it called Race 'N' Chase instead. I doubt Race 'N' Chase III or Race 'N' Chase: San Andreas would have been received by the public quite as well.

The original Grand Theft Auto was a top-down experience and somewhat similar to what we know of the series today, though it focused on driving missions. Players still had to take out drug dealers, blow up buildings with explosive-laden tankers, and yeah, those remote-controlled toy missions go all the way back to the first game too. It actually took place in the locales of Liberty City, Vice City, and San Andreas used for later versions of Grand Theft Auto. Rockstar offers a free download of the game here.

The pitch document is an interesting look at how Grand Theft Auto simply began as a "fun, addictive and fast multi-player car racing and crashing game," that has generated hundreds of millions of dollars as of today. It covers everything from how DMA planned to create various mission types, to the method through which it would produce the graphics, to how police would communicate. Anyone wondering how a game springs up from the dirt, or at least how one did in 1995, should take a look at Daily's Flickr account here.

Source: CVG

I think someone just hit me between the eyes with the nostalgia club.

1995: really .... wow feeling old now. Fantastically enjoyable game though, think I might try it out again

GOURANGA! :D

Zhukov:
I think someone just hit me between the eyes with the nostalgia club.

Mine's 46% downlaoded....

But, it would have been a terrible name for such awesome innovation!

It kind of sounds like the name for a diner.

One that serves a lot of bacon 'n beans.

D33dl3:
1995: really .... wow feeling old now.

Same here, and I'm 18...

I still remember how the first thing I noticed was how the cars were 2D but the buildings were 3D. And yes, it was fun as hell! Still is.

Yeah, I remember playing GTA1. Getting to downloading it now.
And yes, I will download GTA2 as well.

GTA 2 was pure bliss. It's amazing how a isometric game like that offers complete atmosphere of the cities they played out in.

The good old days, have to give this classic another spin, but I am too occupied playing GTA: SA at the moment. :]

Raiyan 1.0:

D33dl3:

Same here, and I'm 18...

HAHAHAHAHH, SUFFER LIKE I HAVE TO! ;)

The original Grand Theft Auto was much older though:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Raiyan 1.0:

D33dl3:

Same here, and I'm 18...

HAHAHAHAHH, SUFFER LIKE I HAVE TO! ;)

Well, I think I remember you reminiscing about the Commodore 64...

So no, I don't suffer as much as you do, since you had to go through the death of Amiga. If today's PC gaming dies, I'll go through the death of one superior platform... and you'll have gone through two.

Raiyan 1.0:
and you'll have gone through two.

Two?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Raiyan 1.0:
and you'll have gone through two.

Two?

My point still stands, good Sir. ;)

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll wallow in my own grief over the memories of WipeOut and Crimson Skies being taken away from my platform by Sony and Microsoft respectively...

"Awwwww"

"You're nicked!"

Classic.

To me, the most amusing thing is how British it is. 'You can drive cars and lorries?' 'Playing area will consist of streets and pavement?'

EDIT: Also notice it includes a speedometer in the HUD. Oh man, it's fifteen years later, can we get this please?

would not doubt it lol

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here