Hacker Awarded for Discovering Rift Security Issues

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hacker Awarded for Discovering Rift Security Issues

Trion MMO Rift is now more secure thanks to a hacker from the game's community.

As with many MMOs, Trion's Rift has been under assault from the seedy underbelly of the hacking community trying to gain access to people's accounts since its release in early March. While these hackers are a thorn in Trion's side, it isn't bothered by all of them.

An "ethical hacker" that goes by the alias "ManWitDaPlan" and works at a security firm by day found a loophole in Rift's servers, but instead of using it to cause trouble, he told Trion. After learning of it, Trion jumped to fix the potential exploit.

ManWitDaPlan told ZAM it was a loophole that was "easy to miss" at first. He commended Trion for its swift response, saying it channeled Bruce Lee and hit the exploit right away, acting within two hours. It's a good sign that Trion is working hard to protect its customers.

According to rumor, ManWitDaPlan received a special reward, perhaps a lifetime subscription to Rift, for his efforts. ManWitDaPlan said he'll "be around [Rift] for a while." Unethical hackers, beware!

Source: ZAM, via PCGamer

I bet certain other MMOs would probably just ban him and call him a cheater for daring to find an exploit in their "perfect" game.

Eri:
I bet certain other MMOs would probably just ban him and call him a cheater for daring to find an exploit in their "perfect" game.

Sadly I believe this.

Good job ManWitDaPlan you are not an asshole.

Eri:

This happens even more often than you know. :/

Konatacalypse:

Eri:

Sadly I believe this.

He is bro. :P

OT: Brofist for haxbro. :P

Nice one, it's cool to see someone with computer skills not greifing real life.

This is one of those gentleman hackers that use monocles and top hats.

That's another point for Trion.

...I really need to get Rift...

Good to hear. Rift isn't the greatest game, but it certainly doesn't deserve to be exploited. I think every MMO should find someone like this to dig up weaknesses.

Wonder how long it'll take until he decides to supplement that infinite time with some more in-game cash by "ethically" hacking people's accounts.

So... what was the exploit?

stuff like this is good to see, that hackers aren't "all bad" per say (not saying they all were to begin with, but most of the media captures the nastiness of it)

respect points +1 to manwitdaplan and trion

So not all Hackers are a$$holes, there is still hope for this world.

That was very noble of the hacker, and you can tell if this was a huge deal because of Rift giving him a life time subscription to their game. Glad to see that he was nice to do so, which hopefully he'll stay noble and not abuse his powers. Then again, I could be just worrying to much, for if he did then he'd hack Rift no problem.

Irridium:
So... what was the exploit?

Apparently there was a loophole in the login code that let u log into other people account without the need of user and pass.

This shows there are a lot of good people out there :D

LegendaryGamer0:

Eri:

This happens even more often than you know. :/

Konatacalypse:

Eri:

Sadly I believe this.

He is bro. :P

OT: Brofist for haxbro. :P

Falcon Bro-Fist!

Even though I have not a slightest interest in another hotkey MMO.
I have to say, thumbs up for Trion. Real gentleman like behavior

Also big thumbs up for the Hacker that proved that there are people with computer savy that can act classy instead of exploiting the problem.

Despite the game being complete garbage, people should look to RIFT's success.

Sony would do well to take some pages from Trion's playbook.

Pumpkin_Eater:
Sony would do well to take some pages from Trion's playbook.

There's a wee difference between hacking something then telling the people who own it what you did, and that they should fix it, and hacking something, then telling the world how to hack it too.

I imagine, for example, that if GeoHot had gone directly to Sony and said "Hey guys, I hacked the PS3, here's how, you might want to fix that", he probably wouldn't be in half the trouble he's in now, and if he'd done it right, he probably could have even gotten the credit for it.

Cool
Way to be a boss
:)

That's pretty champ. Good to see Man did something nice, and Rift rewarded him for his deed.

Hacker is someone that does it for fun and doesn't do anything once through.
Cracker is someone that does it for personal gain and does bad stuff once through.

In this instance ManWitDaPlan is a hacker that helped make sure crackers can't "cause trouble".

Eri:

Indeed.

I hope he's awarded properly for his actions. The company basically owns the security of all these accounts to this guy. I'd expect a lot of in-game content for the lulz.

Slavik_91:

*puffs pipe* Indeed.

Ah a white hat, these are the kinda of people you want to have in your game.

Yeah it's nice to know there are people with that kind of power and time on their hands to use for good. Although, you ever wonder if he merely found it by accident or if he TRIED to find something wrong, thinking that if he did he would report it and get a reward for. I'm thinking the latter seems unlikely considering how some other companies do not take kindly to anyone who tries to play around with their software, even if the discovery of a loophole saves the hides of themselves and their customers.

Sounds like an MMORPG work supporting, I'm going to have to wait until I leave college, sadly.
Hope it's still going by then...

Infesord:
Yeah it's nice to know there are people with that kind of power and time on their hands to use for good. Although, you ever wonder if he merely found it by accident or if he TRIED to find something wrong, thinking that if he did he would report it and get a reward for. I'm thinking the latter seems unlikely considering how some other companies do not take kindly to anyone who tries to play around with their software, even if the discovery of a loophole saves the hides of themselves and their customers.

He's a white hat hacker. They do That sort of thing reflexively.

Bravo to ManWitDaPlan, and a nod to Trion for not going banhammery on a white hat.

well hey ateast there are still good people out there

Aeshi:
Wonder how long it'll take until he decides to supplement that infinite time with some more in-game cash by "ethically" hacking people's accounts.

There are honest people in the world. Not everyone feels the need to screw over others for the hell of it. And in case you missed the point or don't understand, an ethical hacker is someone who looks for security holes and exploits so that they can get them fixed. This is his profession and I severely doubt he is going to put his professional reputation on the line for the sake of a videogame and his e-peen within it.

Slavik_91:

With the curly mustache and British accent?

I like how popular culture and and the media have changed the image of a Hacker. Its worth a wiki lookup since like many things theres differant types and motivations. In general a hacker is not the cheating/exploiting criminal they are often made out to be.

At least hackers in Rift are finally receiving some press on the escapist. They are the main reason i talked myself out of getting Rift - their forums are littered with people saying their accounts have been hacked and they're left with nothing. Considering there's no authenticator and you can just sign in from anywhere even though you're already signed in and playing, it's easy to see how this might be a problem. Still, at least this is a step in the right direction.

Nice to see people utilizing their free time and talents to do something good.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here