Gamestation Defends "Sexist" Ad

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Gamestation Defends "Sexist" Ad

U.K. retailer Game defended Gamestation marketing as "slightly edgy and occasionally controversial" after one of its own employees complained that a new advertising campaign is "openly sexist."

A new Gamestation advertisement offering pre-owned games at prices "cheaper than your girlfriend" has attracted the ire of an anonymous female employee, who wrote to GamesIndustry.biz to complain. "I agree Gamestation should target a more core audience than Game, but I just don't see what this slogan has to add to their campaign or to gaming in general," she said.

"It is pretty openly sexist - girls being cheap, obviously, but it's also pandering to the old stereotype that gamers are guys," she continued. "And of course any discrimination is banned by Game's own employee regulations, so I don't see why the company itself should be able to get away with it."

But Neil Ashurst, the head of public relations at Game, which bought out Gamestation in 2007, said the ad may be edgy but simply reflects the realities of gamer demographics. "We welcome everyone into our stores and the Gamestation brand reflects its customer base which is still predominantly the traditional core male gamer," he explained. "Our marketing and in-store POS does, and will continue to, appeal to that audience. Throughout its existence, Gamestation has always been slightly edgy and occasionally controversial. Our customers love this about us."

The employee who complained said the response was "a bit of a cop-out" but not terribly surprising. "I appreciate Gamestation's style," she added. "But I don't appreciate them making me feel I'm not who they think should be buying their products."

Chicks, eh?

I am a bad bad person because I giggled.

The stupidest ad I've seen since "Dead Space 2 your mother hates it".
Good job Gamestation...

It doesnt mean that the girlfriend is cheap, actually it means that she is expensive and going with games instead of girls is cheaper.

Dear Gamestation,
"Our customers love this about us."
What? No. What we love is that you're occasionally cheaper than the average Game. What we love is the no-nonsense trade-ins and preowned stuff. You're not a close friend or valuable business partner, you're a distributor. If somewhere else sold the games for cheaper, we'd all go there, no matter how "edgy" you are.
This? This is just childish.

"U.K. retailer Game defended Gamestation marketing as "slightly edgy and occasionally controversial"

Really? I always thought it was dressed up like a den for man-children. This confirms that.

It's actually kinda funny, even to me.

Of course, the whiner brigade shows up and tries to ruin everyone's fun.

God I hate our species.

Awesome, that would actually persuade me to buy the game.

She doesn't even understand the ad, it's not saying girls are cheap, it's saying they're expensive, and buying that game at that price is less expensive than your girlfriend. So she just fulfilled another stereotype in my own eyes.

josemlopes:
It doesnt mean that the girlfriend is cheap, actually it means that she is expensive and going with games instead of girls is cheaper.

Exactly, but some chicks like to believe $50-60 is cheap, so saying "save x amount, its cheaper than your girlfriend" instantly means to them they are cheap, which is always an insult.

Gameststion aren't edgy, they just feel sort of try-hard... They always come across as being so "ooh we're so in touch with the gamer! Check out our jageddy font! Yeah!"

I prefer GAME, although I'm aware they are the same company.

I laughed. people need to learn to to be so sensitive. You dont like it? Get over it. It isnt talking about you.

I wonder how the people who make big deals out of advertisements ever find happiness in their lives if they let every tiny thing like this bug them.

I didn't find that add sexist at all.
Girls are always overreacting.

*hides under a rock*

Andy Chalk:
"It is pretty openly sexist - girls being cheap, obviously, but it's also pandering to the old stereotype that gamers are guys,"

What a homophobe. Since when can girls not have girlfriends?

Is she implying girlfriends are cheaper than 30 pounds?

Joking aside ... the ad is a joke. Its not edgy or controversial, its just silly. But complaining about it is even more silly.

Chibz:
It's actually kinda funny, even to me.

Of course, the whiner brigade shows up and tries to ruin everyone's fun.

God I hate our species.

Yeah, sexism is fun right!

Urg....

Andy Chalk:
But Neil Ashurst, the head of public relations at Game, which bought out Gamestation in 2007, said the ad may be edgy but simply reflects the realities of gamer demographics.

No it doesn't:

Those who fall under Gamer demographics don't have girlfriends :D

Andy Chalk:
"It is pretty openly sexist - girls being cheap, obviously...

Is it obvious?
I'll admit: When I first saw the ad, I thought it was a dig at how expensive having a girlfriend can be, not that the girl herself was 'cheap'. As in "It's cheaper to buy this game then it is to take your girlfriend out" or something. Maybe I just totally saw it wrong, but I got a very different message.

So if they are in fact saying girls are 'cheap', well then it's a blatantly sexist ad. But it they are saying that having a girlfriend is expensive, then I find it hard to disagree. Heck, I'm married and my wife can get darned expensive. How many purses does a woman need? Geez!

Well, that's stopped me shopping at gamestation any time soon

So wait, are they saying that isn't cheaper then your girlfriend? I find that hard to believe.

I give them props for standing up for their decision. Ya some people won't like it but boo-hoo too bad. Also, the advertisement seems very well aimed for the Blops demographic.

So what? Gamestation makes jokes at the expense of lots of people, not just girlfriends. You could also claim it was homophobic by ignoring gay men.

Honestly, I find Gamestation's advertisements quite funny and appealing.

Andy Chalk:

"It is pretty openly sexist - girls being cheap, obviously, but it's also pandering to the old stereotype that gamers are guys," she continued. "And of course any discrimination is banned by Game's own employee regulations, so I don't see why the company itself should be able to get away with it."

I don't think she got it...it's not saying girls are cheap it's saying that girls are expensive...no wonder she is pissed off she's stupid and overly sensitive. People like this screw up the world because they go out of their way to be offended.

Bitch please. Beside the fact girls can have girlfriends, would she be upset at an ad that says "cheaper than your boyfriend"? Didn't think so.

I saw this ad today while I was in Gamestation, have to say it make me chuckle a little.

But I took it to mean that buying the game is cheaper than taking your girlfriend out... nothing derogatory at all. In fact my girlfriend would rather I bought the game (Not Call of Duty, I hasten to add) and we'd play it together so... no harm no foul eh?

Andy Chalk:
Chicks, eh?

Touché!

While I do not think this is sexist, translated this would not be sexist at all in my language, as the word for girlfriend/boyfriend is the same. Would that solve it and make everyone happy; finding a word that is neutral, so it for read "Cheaper than your..." ?

Uff. I can see why the girl's annoyed but it's practically a 'your momma' joke, I assume it's meant ironically. As long as their whole campaign isn't hanging off of similar jibes I think it's probably okay.

That's not sexist. It's true. If you are in a relationship, you are almost always going to spend more than 60 bucks.

Oh Gamestation.. how i hate you.

Im suprised in all honesty, its unlike us Brits to take offence to anything.

It's not sexist. It doesnt imply that women are cheap. Talk about missing the point OP. It means that women are expensive and the game is cheap. *Facepalms*

I'm not even offended. It's a stupid joke, trying to sound "cool" by making a mean joke, and only coming off as childish. It might as well have been a "your mom" joke.

ShadowKirby:
Yeah, sexism is fun right!

Urg....

The ad isn't sexist. This is just someone (stupidly) over reacting.

Flighty-broads-and-their-obnoxious-bullshit-o-meter:
(:-| [----------------|--] >:-O

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook