Valve Says "Hang In There" For Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Wisteso:

Gxas:
I must be one of the only people ever who finds the Source engine extremely clunky and nearly unplayable...

Compared to what? The only engine that's more well polished while being flexible is probably Unreal. Though I will say it's unstable as hell. I've never seen an engine so hostile to alt-tabbing.

Compared to other games I have played. Hell, the original Timesplitters plays smoother.

Though, that isn't a fair comparison, as Timesplitters is the greatest FPS to ever grace the video game industry.

Now that Duke is back, every company in the world will figure "it'll be done when it's done!" is a good enough excuse for years and years of waiting. I just wish we had somebody saying "we're putting it together, we have a new physics system, we have environment artists working around the clock, and in a couple months we'll announce a tentative due date" rather than "we'll get to it eventually, maybe, wait and see. By the way have you pre-ordered Portal 2 yet?"

I'm not convinced that they've even started work on it beyond a couple of concept sketches and a basic story overview... and likely not even that. I wish game companies were more honest about setbacks and what's going on behind the scenes, because by the time we hear about a new game it's just about finished and there's no way to inform developers if there was anything wrong with it.

To be honest, I could hardly care anymore... >_>

"Half-Life 2: Episode 3 is coming, so just chill." lol that about sums it up

I'm guessing they'll just come out with HL3 since originally Gabe Newell meant for Episodes 1-2(3?) to essentially be 3

Im interest to see what else HL3 has to offer than more Half-Life.

Take as much time as you need...its going to take a lot of work beating out Half life 2.

Wait... Haven't they been telling us this for a -long- time now? Oh well. Hopefully we won't have to wait for Freeman as long as we've had to for the Duke.

Gxas:
I'll bet they're making a new engine for it.

Speaking of which, I (finally) just finished Portal the other day. I must be one of the only people ever who finds the Source engine extremely clunky and nearly unplayable...

Tell that to the machinima makers. The Source Engine is hell to get running properly.

Honestly? I've stopped caring about Half Life. I used to love it back in the day on my old clunky PC, i wasn't all that enamoured with Half Life 2, and even less so with the "episodes". Now it's been such a long time coming for a sequel(?) that i just don't care anymore.

To me, Valve are distributor, not a developer. As long as they keep Steam going i really don't care about them anymore.

CM156:
I think at this point we can expect the next instalment in the amount of time equilivant to Uranium-234's half-life

Yay! A science joke!

However, I think a more accurate guess would be Uranium-235. It's half-life is 700 million years. Maybe they'll officially announce it then.

This tells us absolutely nothing. Of course they didn't forget about it, are you people seriously thinking that?

They should've made them all together in the first place and done it properly, they absolutely failed and they ruined a great franchise by ending it on a cliffhanger and not delivering.

They should've just skipped ahead and made Half Life 3 in the first place, as I've said for years...

For it to come out Gabe must climb the steps onto the E3 stage again and judging from his condition at Sony's E3 2010 conference that may take a while

MiracleOfSound:

Onyx Oblivion:
Half Life 3.

NO EPISODE 3!

If this isn't a full blown sequel, I'll kill Gabe Newell.

I'm with Onyx. Give us a new game on a new engine now please!

Source Engine 2?....Perhaps.
I have been waiting for this day with bated breath, waiting the millennium that spanned (or was that 4 years?).

TheSkaAssassin:
I seriously think it's just going to launch one day out of the blue. No advertising, no pre-orders, just "Hey, Episode 3 is out!".

How ballsy would that be?

theid probably get more copies sold over time just because the actually did a marketing trick that was original.

Well.... at least they haven't forgotten about it.

I will pre-order Ep. 3, or HL3, though, regardless. It's gonna be good. :3

Oh ho. Dance fanboys dance! Just keep dangling that bit of bait in front of them and watch them jiggle.

Seriously valve, put up or shut up.

I think people are more riled up by the fact that we haven't been given anything to look at. With most developers they'll spend a year or so getting their product in viewable format and releasing, at the very, least a teaser. Sure you can hold back the news for an E3 or 2 but it's just been too long with nothing to go off of making the half-life series feel likes it's dead or dying. Anything is better than nothing. As far as I'm concerned someone telling us to calm down is nothing.

Good to know Valve, I don't really care when it gets here just as long as Freeman is still on his way.

Onyx Oblivion:
Half Life 3.

NO EPISODE 3!

You need help from 2 IGN Slowbros first.

Tom Goldman:
Half-Life 2 hit stores in 2004, after a delay in 2003 due to a source code leak.

Slight correction, here: It wasn't the code leak that caused the delay (what, do you think he literally stole the code and they had to rewrite it?); it was the fact that the game was straight-up unfinished. There was a long article about it in some online game magazine a few years ago. Long story short, Valve Time happened. One reason they've stopped giving release dates for games until they're almost finished now.

Episode 3 = Shenmu 2

It's never comming out, and the fanboys will never quit being in denial about it.

Gxas:
I'll bet they're making a new engine for it.

Speaking of which, I (finally) just finished Portal the other day. I must be one of the only people ever who finds the Source engine extremely clunky and nearly unplayable...

Eh, I sorta know what you mean. It doesn't really hold me up, but it does feel a bit...odd. Really hard to quantify.

TheSkaAssassin:
I seriously think it's just going to launch one day out of the blue. No advertising, no pre-orders, just "Hey, Episode 3 is out!".

How ballsy would that be?

I'd actually been thinking the same thing. I mean, hey, no announced release date means no delaying, right? At least, I bet that's their thinking.

mew4ever23:
We've been hanging in here for 4 years Gabe. Give us something. Remember the principles of episodic gameplay?

1. Shorter games
2. at lower prices
3. released more frequently.

Valve's not been releasing much this past year, just cranking out TF2 updates. Oh, yes, and Alien swarm. This is why Mojang got my vote in march madness.

What about Portal 2 in less than a month?

Puddle Jumper:

Gladion:

Puddle Jumper:
Never forget the fact they'd need to distance themselves from the unbelievably mediocre Half Life 2.

After taking a look at the number of the Half-Life 2 fanboys in existence (only a million billion), I say you are right. They need to distance themselves from this incredibly unsuccessful game.

...?

Anyway, I stopped caring for Episode 3 about 2 weeks after having finished Episode 2. The story and characters are not THAT compelling. I appreciate Valve's work a lot, but I'll never understand the incredible amount of love.

Think it through, man :) Just, think it through.

Need a hand?

Okay: Twilight has millions of fans too. Doesn't make the series any less shitty.

To clarify, because I know that this is going to get a reply by someone who didn't think it through, I do not think Half Life 2 is as bad as Twilight. I said it was Unbelievably Mediocre. Even for when it was just released, the game is mediocre.

Unfair comparison. He's not saying that it's good because it's popular, he's saying that they'd have to be certifiable to want to distance themselves from it. Now, you don't like it, and that's fine, but please don't act like your opinion is the law of the universe.

Anyway, as for this, I'm unrealistically betting on an Orange Box 2. Whether the new Half Life component will be Ep 3 or HL3 (or both...?), I cannot say, but I'd be willing to bet on Counterstrike 2.

Word of the day...Say it with me now!

"HUZZAH!"

Onyx Oblivion:
Half Life 3.

NO EPISODE 3!

Just jump out at him and shout "boo".

Years of fried chicken will do the rest

Puddle Jumper:
snip

Nonono, you didn't get what I meant.

I was saying that the games are incredibly popular and successful. It doesn't matter what you, I, or any individual person thinks. The games make money. Valve doesn't need to step away from money.

I would be very surpised if they made episode 3 after all, isn't gabe quoted as saying that the episodes thing was just a failed experiment?

That's all I wanted to know. Thanks Valve!

I swear, waiting for Episode 3 is like playing "The Game".

The best outcome is that you forget either for a long time, but you lose the minute you remember it.

Hell, Duke Nukem Forever beat Episode 3.

Gordon Freeman: Forever

I'll bet you anything that they were about to get working on it when someone went: "Hey! Portal 2! how bout it?!" and they all forgot until now....

Lance Arrow:

gigastar:
Abridged: We have finally started doing something about it. Now shut up and wait for four more years. If youre a good fanbase, it might happen.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't even know why Valve's fanboys still dominate every vote and contest ever considering that Valve has left us hanging for quite some time. You can say 'hang in there' all you want but we've been hangin' for almost four years. Seriously Valve, Our arms are getting mighty tired.

So what? Valve makes it a point to develop games they truly want to develop. It's what has worked for them in the past. It's one of the key ingredients to their success.

I'm a huge Valve fan, and I want Episode 3 as much as anyone, but all this kicking and screaming about it isn't helping. The self entitled nature of fanboys is something that pisses me right off.

Burck:
I swear, waiting for Episode 3 is like playing "The Game".

The best outcome is that you forget either for a long time, but you lose the minute you remember it.

Hell, Duke Nukem Forever beat Episode 3.

DNF was in development for over a decade... Episode three less than half.

gigastar:
Abridged: We have finally started doing something about it. Now shut up and wait for four more years. If youre a good fanbase, it might happen.

No, what they actually mean is "we're not going to release Episode 3 until we can turn it into a neverending DLC revenue stream, like we did with the hats in Team Fortress 2."

That's why the ads for Portal 2 place so much emphasis on co-op play. Co-op play means online play, and ONLINE PLAY MEANS VALVE CAN GOUGE YOU FOR MORE MONEY.

Patience is bitter but its fruit is sweet. I'd give Valve all the time in the world as long as they create a masterpiece.

So does this mean that I now Have to cancel my elaborate and carefully laid plans to break into valve offices and take hostages?

Onyx Oblivion:
Half Life 3.

NO EPISODE 3!

KILL GABE NEWELL! THE HYPNOTOAD DEMANDS IT! ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here