Valve Says "Hang In There" For Half-Life 2: Episode 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

well there's the running joke of the industry ain't it. Now that DNF actually has a release date, Episode 3 is all we have left XD

4 Years ain't that much.

SC2 didn't get released before 10 years after the first, and duke nukem forever has a slight chance of being released 16 years after it was planned.

So, yeah.

Lance Arrow:

gigastar:
Abridged: We have finally started doing something about it. Now shut up and wait for four more years. If youre a good fanbase, it might happen.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't even know why Valve's fanboys still dominate every vote and contest ever considering that Valve has left us hanging for quite some time. You can say 'hang in there' all you want but we've been hangin' for almost four years. Seriously Valve, Our arms are getting mighty tired.

I think it's a very bizarre and wtf situation when there is demand for a product that a dev doesn't want to make. It's like... 'no, we don't want your money... oh but come back, pls buy LFD2!!111'... even though no one wanted/needed a sequel to that game yet (and within a year?!). Cheap cash in much?

Meh. I think they realized that 'episodic' releases are retarded, especially when/if it still takes forever to make. Plus the engine is already out dated? So they would need to update the engine and also create episode 3... They obviously thought it wasn't worth it.

I'll believe it when I see it, but there is NO doubt in my mind they haven't even started it yet :)

-massive snip-

Irrelevant. This topic is about the next chapter of the half life series, and Portal 2 won't be out until march madness finishes for the year.

Ladyies and Gentlemen, you are reading news for what will become to be known as "Duke Nukem: Forevermore"

The good news: HL2 was one of my favorite FPS games ever, thanks to having everything from standard run and gunning to scary "horror" moments to driving sequences to stealthy hidey sequences to being perhaps the epitome of "show don't tell". Loved it!

So yes I'm excited for HL3 or HL2:E3, but, I just hope they have an updated engine for it. Source. It is old. I don't expect a visual blockbuster but at least Unreal Engine quality would be appreciated.

They will release a demo, and nothing else. Then 3 years later, Valve will admit that the whole thing was just one massive multi-billion dollar plan to troll the world, shut down their company, all of their employees will commit suicide and go down in history as the biggest trolls ever.

drunken_munki:
I think it's a very bizarre and wtf situation when there is demand for a product that a dev doesn't want to make. It's like... 'no, we don't want your money... oh but come back, pls buy LFD2!!111'... even though no one wanted/needed a sequel to that game yet (and within a year?!). Cheap cash in much?

To me it's always felt like a band that makes a hit song, so they make more and more songs that their new fanbase wants, but slowly gets sick of it when all they ever get asked to play at gigs is one of those copy-and-paste songs that their fans love. Eventually, they just decided that they were into it to play music that they love, not to play what others want them to play.

And with that in mind, I say, go, Valve. Contue putting it off if that's what you want. I'm totally behind you on it

*imagining Half Life 3 on Valve's new engine shipped with a Counter Strike remake on said engine.*

Onyx Oblivion:
Half Life 3.

NO EPISODE 3!

If this isn't a full blown sequel, I'll kill Gabe Newell.

I'll help you do it too if it is not a full and complete sequel.

What is a Half-Life?

Sorry... its been too long. :P

rokkolpo:

A Mad Monk 2:
chill? telling us to chill?
im sorry how mnay years has it been?

4, which is not that long.
Look at the duke.

episode 1 and 2 came out within a year apart from each other. they gave us no indication on when episode 3 was coming out and no reason for the delay.
and you cant compare everything to duke. its a 13 year old delayed gamed. not every case is like that

I think he's saying 'hold your horses' now because Portal 2 may explain what is next.
My Theories:
* Merging the storylines in a sequel to both (eg. Portal 3 = HL3).
* HL2:E3 included in Portal 2

It seems more likely the next Half-Life game will be a full sequel, if they go an release a short episode after this long I bet they'll give it away for free or something awesome.

GABE! ICAN SAY ONLYONE THING - IT WAS ABOUT TIME.... still i had tf2 to fill the gap of 4 years

A long time ago I read in a swedish gaming magazine an interview with Valve where they said that EP3 should be called HL3 due to a very different environment compared to HL2 and longer than the episodes, but it will remain EP3 since there was already so much talk about. Might have changed since, I think I saw it about 2 years ago..

i recon its gonna be a reverse this time round =p last time portal came out as a mini game in the orange box, i recon secretly ep 3 is the mini game with portal 2

Im hanging and ill keep using all my strenght to hang till it comes...

I dont want it to be rushed... Valve take youre time, make us another wonder, we trust in you.

Ill wait what it takes, because rushing half life would only destroy a great series... Take youre time valve... take youre time...

There was a time i really cared about half life. i never played through the first one, i started to and lost interest in all of 15 minutes. but i really loved half life 2. at the time of playing it, i had never played an FPS quite like it. the episodes were very fun as well.

But hell, I can hardly remember the story anymore. I can't even remember how episode 2 ends. I'll still get episode 3 when it comes out, for sure, but im going to go ahead and sign up with the 99% of the people who replied to this forum: Valve, you missed the point of episodic game releases. I'm sure you have your reasons, and i'm sure they are good ones, but hell, its been 4 years of NOTHING. couldn't they just say "hey guys sorry about that we tried something a little different and it didn't work, we just put too much work into half life to release it rapidly, don't worry, half life 3 will come when its good and damn well ready and you'll love it"

It's too bad. They were doing well with episode 1 and 2, at least relatively. But in the time between episode 2 and 3, they could have made episode 3 AND Half Life 3.

Oh here we go again.

Valve giving out tiny amounts of info just to keep the fans clinging.

Lance Arrow:

gigastar:
Abridged: We have finally started doing something about it. Now shut up and wait for four more years. If youre a good fanbase, it might happen.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't even know why Valve's fanboys still dominate every vote and contest ever considering that Valve has left us hanging for quite some time. You can say 'hang in there' all you want but we've been hangin' for almost four years. Seriously Valve, Our arms are getting mighty tired.

Quite your whining, it's good exercise! Work those muscles!

its the next vaporwares duke nukem forever

I hate the idea that people who complain about the length of time it's taking are whiny entitled fanboys.

It was 6 years between half life 1 and 2 and that was a full game with an engine that had come on quite a way. Episode 1 was essentially a levels mission using the same engine, Episode 2 actually developed things a bit further with some tweaks, new areas and ideas, but it's still essentially the same engine.

Whether or not it will be a full game is besides the point really, episode 3 should have been out at the end of 2009. It should have wrapped up the story, updated the engine a bit and been a couple of hours longer than episode 2. That would have been satisfying and it would have been a reasonable ask for them to do. And they should be working on Episode 3. If they would at least just admit what's happened I'd be more forgiving. It's a safe bet it's going to be a full game now, so it's not like they have a nice surprise they're holding back.

The problem with the amount of delays is it suggests they don't have a clue what they're doing next and don't know how to wrap things up. It was nice to think they had an idea of how everything would be resolved, the fact that it's taken so longs suggests they're making things up as they go along. Not to mention if they want people to be invested in their story, they've kind of lost me. I've lost any emotional investment I had in the universe and I don't think I can get it back. I appreciate the developments you made for storytelling in games Valve, but this story was started in 1998, I don't think it should take over 13 years to tell.

Look what Ubisoft have done with Assassins Creed, in the time since that was released they overhauled the engine and made 2 full games as well as additional content as well as PSP and DS games. I know they're a much bigger company, but it's still worth noting what's possible.

Frankly I predict that Valve has been working on Half Life 3 this entire time and never telling us about it.

Its too late valve you've already lost march mayhem. If you had already released ep. 3 this would never happen. Or at least thats what a lot of posts on the thread say.

were chillin alright valve.
we've been chillin for like what, a milenia?
nothing wrong with another..

still, good news.

dylanmc12:
Valve's delayed games : Every single HL Game except Blue Shift and Opposing Force

Portal 2
The ORANGE Box
L4D2 (The Australian version)

...Fuck off Valve....

Valve's release date is starting to go Blizzard-ish...
..Valizzard..

Thank fuck for that. It shows they haven't decided to shelve the franchise for the next X amount of years while they work on Portal 4 or L4D7. After the cliffhanger they left at the end of Ep:2, they shouldn't be surprised that people want to get on with the damn story. I mean, I'd be bloody pleased by a freaking story synopsis at this point.

mew4ever23:

-massive snip-

Irrelevant. This topic is about the next chapter of the half life series, and Portal 2 won't be out until march madness finishes for the year.

Not irrelevant at all. You were saying you're not voting for them because no games of theirs are coming out this year. Portal 2 is. Therefore, it is relevant.

Now, it's not coming out in time for MM, you're right. So maybe it is not ENTIRELY relevant. But you can't just say they're sitting on their asses doing nothing.

-Begins frothing at mouth-

HL2: Ep. 3 - Worth the weight.

/fatgabe

-TOM

Animyr:
Yeah, I'm starting to suspect they're making a full sequel, or at least not a conventional episode. I doubt valve spent the last four years sitting on their hands.

Though, with the zealotry of their fanboys, they'd still get away with it if they did spend the last four years sitting on their hands.

Couch Radish:
Frankly I predict that Valve has been working on Half Life 3 this entire time and never telling us about it.

my thoughts exactly...and If I may offer a (potentially weak but I think it still applies/makes sense) parallel take the soon coming Season 9 of Red Vs Blue thats set to tell the story of or behind project freelancer, and while there is a rather big difference(exactly 1 year(RvB) to wait as apposed to 4 and counting) Rooster Teeth seemingly gave no indicator(that I knew of) that there would be a season 9

They're probably just trolling at this point.

Well, like Blizzard, I'd prefer to wait for something worth playing than get HL3 next week half finished, buggy as hell and too short, with broken multiplayer.

We've been hanging in there for a long, long time now. My arms are horribly sore. :/

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here