Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired

A gay gamer has launched a petition calling on BioWare to fire Dragon Age 2 lead writer David Gaider - yes, the one who so passionately defended gay romances in games - for disrespectfully stereotyping homosexuals.

This is about as bizarre as it gets. David Gaider, you may recall, fired off a lengthy, well-worded defense of gay romance options in videogames in response to a Dragon Age 2 player who complained about being hit on by male characters and the lack of a "No Homosexuality" option in the game. Gaider dismissed the complaint, saying that romances in the game are there for everyone, not just "the straight male gamer."

That scored Gaider some serious points, especially among gay gamers, but it turns out that you really can't please all of the people all of the time. So it is that a self-proclaimed "homosexual playing Dragon Age 2" has launched a petition calling for Gaider's dismissal because of the way he portrayed gays in the game as "unable to be normal people and think [about] nothing but sex."

"As a homosexual playing Dragon Age 2, I've witnessed the worst stereotype homosexual characters in this game. If you refused to make your moves on a gay character then you are received rivalry points for not wanting to be gay for the character," the petition states. "This is completely wrong, homosexuals do not approach people and force them to kiss us, the person that wrote this game should be fired for stereotyping homosexuals in such a disrespectful way, as well as creating the worst writing in characters, plot and everything else in DA2."

It's impossible to say whether this is actually a gamer who feels legitimately aggrieved or just another Tuesday troll, but if it is legit, as GayGamer pointed out, it kind of misses the point. "Considering one male companion does this (Anders) and yet another does not (Fenris), this shows that the 'gays' in the game are capable of being normal people after all," the site wrote. "They are capable of flirting and not flirting. You know, as people do."

At last count, the petition to fire Gaider has 208 signatures, putting it neck-and-neck with another, newer petition filed in support of him. Not that he has much to worry about anyway; if anything, this is just more proof that people are people, regardless of their sexual proclivities - and that sometimes, people are stupid.

This proves it. No matter what you do, you can never make everyone happy.

Fenris never pulled that. Anders certainly did, though. Anders was pretty aggressive.

People are indeed stupid. This is why I never listen to people and sure as hell hope Bioware does not in this case. Not that I think that they would do.

Wow... some people are just never pleased. I mean gaider went well out of his way to defend the homosexuality in the game.

I've met and known my fair share of gay men unfortunately and everyone of them is a complete and utter hornball....much like any man. Gay women....not so much.

Never fear, I'll take Gaider's place.

From now on, all Bioware games will be written in Shakespeare.

RedEyesBlackGamer:
Fenris never pulled that. Anders certainly did, though. Anders was pretty aggressive.

True. Though the only reason he did was because of Hawke's wording.

But yeah, this is derp. And what about the lesbian stuff? I'm pretty sure Merrill wouldn't have ago for not wanting lesbian sex with her.

...though I'm pretty sure nobody has refused that.

Now that's funny. It's not like heteros got the better end of the deal, r bis for that matter. Die Isabella, Die!

"As a homosexual playing Dragon Age 2, I've witnessed the worst stereotype homosexual characters in this game. If you refused to make your moves on a gay character then you are received rivalry points for not wanting to be gay for the character," the petition states. "This is completely wrong, homosexuals do not approach people and force them to kiss us, the person that wrote this game should be fired for stereotyping homosexuals in such a disrespectful way, as well as creating the worst writing in characters, plot and everything else in DA2."

Err, that's not true. I outright turned Fenris down and received no rivalry points. I didn't choose the red hammer option, though, which usually indicates you will receive rivalry points when talking to a party member. Besides, this is crossing over into gameplay design...the writer probably had little to do with what does and doesn't give rival/friendliness points.

Like you said, always going to be somebody who complains. Why can't they just say that they didn't like DA2 like most everybody else, instead of pretending to champion some great cause? Does DA2 promote too much self-worth or something? One guy claiming to speak for all straight males and another speaking for all homosexuals...

Qwery me this, Gay Gamers: Would you prefer then there were no gay romances?
I think Anders was the only agressive one (Fenris was fine to leave me be), and that was more due to his personallity in this game, rather than his homosexuality. This only proves that Bioware fans will never be happy, no matter what you give them.

Apparently this gay gamer needs to play through DA2 as a female character cause Anders is just as aggressive. That's just the way his character is in DA2.

Well of course it generated rivalry points. I don't have any personal examples to use, but I've heard plenty of stories from fellow asexuals who've turned down approaches. Funnily enough, this usually seems causes the approacher to feel annoyed an maybe a little angry. I don't know why this is, though I suppose it could be a self-esteem thing. "I'm not good enough" or something.

Well yeah, Anders was really annoying. I remember a couple of times where he would talk to you, and then you'd have 2 heart responses and a big "x". Which was pretty stupid.

Then again all Bioware romances are pretty stupid and silly. After a couple conversations your companions believe you to be their true love. Come on Bioware, you can do better than that. Like with Baldur's Gate. Remember those romances? How they were deep, and intricate, and you had to work for them? How it wasn't just 3 conversations, then sex.

Just go back to that please. Much more interesting.

Wow, seems like he has a point. That's fucking stupid. Don't want your character to take it up the chuff? Well tough, you'll be penalised.

The only game so far the include homosexuality well was Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines, where anything with legs is fair game.

I'd personally like the entire staff that worked on that game fired. Not for any great social injustice though, but rather just because it was an abomination and isn't fit to wipe the ass of the other games Bioware has made in the past.

Dude, I've been in rel life and gay people have hit on me. In school, at work, in the streets. Straight people have hit on me, and I've hit on members of the opposite sex. It's called being realistic.

If all you have is a video game where the male and female characters only return feelings for you if you first show them, then you're not really getting a realistic experience of humanity. Being into someone who doesn't return the feelings runs both ways. In my case, it was Anders. Anders flirted with me, he was into me, and I didn't reciprocate. Sure, I got rivalry points. After all, he was heart broken. But that's life right? I gained the friendship points back and he never hit on me again.

The same thing might happen in real life. Say I have a homosexual friend who's had a crush and mistakens my friendliness for a reciprocated crush. He walks up to me and asks me out, I tell him I'm not into men. He's hurt (rivalry, for lack of better term), but we bounce back and we're friends.

I think it's pretty awesome that Bioware made a game in which the characters don't only have interests if you show interest first. you don'tvonly pursue them, they pursue you too. It's realistic, it's life, and anyone who doesn't think so hasn't stepped outside in a long time

Can I start a petition to allow us to slap people who start shit this stupid?

Ugh...

I don't know what to say. People can be really stupid.

Andy Chalk:
sometimes, people are stupid.

sometimes? you're overestimating the general population. the same one that calls Transformers 2 and Alice in Wonderland the best movies ever.
and the same one that will pay people to download the firmware for their PS3s for them
and the same one that will buy the new iPhone and iPad just because everyone else is
and the same one that will ban videogames because they might hurt "little timmy"

saying "sometimes people are stupid" is an understatement regarding the human race.

we're all stupid. no one is exempt from this :/

OT: perhaps this person should realize that there are whores of all genders and orientations. and making a gay man a whore should be no less offensive than making a straight man one.

That petition may very well be a troll. On the other hand, it may not.

Funny, having played through DA2 two and a half times now, I don't get the impression of any characters as strictly "gay"... they just seem like people who are willing to find love (or pleasure, Isabela) wherever they can. Isn't that beyond the hetero-/homosexual issue?

Okey, is this REALLY such a big deal? I mean..If I hit on you, and you turned me down, I'd be pretty upset too.
Where are the angry-feminist-mobs when you need them? I can think of several more on-the-spot criticisms for Dragon Age 2 concerning character design. Isabella and her giant knockers (every females giant knockers, come to think of it..Maybe Dragon Age just have better breedingstock?) comes to mind.

Gah! I want to find and slap this guy with a trout worse than the representative for 'Straight Male Gamers'! As a gay gamer I'm happy that someone is writing gay characters in video games PERIOD. On top of all this it's obvious that Bioware took to heart the criticism we had about Zevran in the first Dragon Age with it's romance choices and changed things because of it. *fumes*

Mr. David Gaider, I can assure you that the great majority of us support you and your writing. Keep it up!!

from what I remeber you got about 10 rivalry points. That is NOTHING, nad it was easy to get his devoted friendship anyways.
So dumb, someone should throw a sandwich at his face!!!

Wow. Just wow. Let me get my tiny facepalm image. imageThere we go.
This is just stupid

homosexuals do not approach people and force them to kiss us

And congratulations for stereotyping yourselves. What people should be able to understand is that the characters in this games react based on their given personality, not their sexuality.

Didn't Mass Effect 2 remove gay relationships? I know that ME1 had 'em.

Complain about that.

Anyway, I haven't gotten rivalry points for spurning the advances of either of them.

ARE YOU SAYING GAY GAMERS ARE STUPID?!

WELL I'M SO ANGRY I'M GOING TO START A PETITION.

(Straight by the way, sorry guys :p) and yeah this whole thing is just pretty stupid.

To mock the article:

As a homosexual playing Dragon Age 2, I was delighted with the different depths of personalities with the characters. I was thrilled to see that while one of the homosexual male characters was sexual in nature, not unlike his predecessor Zevran, it was not his only trait. Likewise, other characters were not so sexual in nature which made up for it. I applaud the writer for including gay romances in gaming, which is stereotypically dominated by straight males, and leveling the playing field for everyone interested in the game. As in Dragon Age: Origins, I found myself wishing my male character could fall in love with a straight character and felt bad when it never happened. A game needs to have differences between personality types. Not everyone is bisexual, not everyone is a sex fiend, and not everyone sits with their legs crossed. Such is real life, and thank you, Dragon Age, for allowing players to have a choice about what kind of romance they want rather than being stuck with one they do not want.

tl;dr: Dragon Age isn't stereotyping, just giving a CHOICE of what kind of partner you want.

Irridium:
Well yeah, Anders was really annoying. I remember a couple of times where he would talk to you, and then you'd have 2 heart responses and a big "x". Which was pretty stupid.

Then again all Bioware romances are pretty stupid and silly. After a couple conversations your companions believe you to be their true love. Come on Bioware, you can do better than that. Like with Baldur's Gate. Remember those romances? How they were deep, and intricate, and you had to work for them? How it wasn't just 3 conversations, then sex.

Just go back to that please. Much more interesting.

I do have to admit though that Dragon Age 2 goes a little closer to home than Dragon Age: Origins. Hell, I could Romance Morrigan the moment I hit Lothering. If I want to court Merrill, it takes at least until Act 2 - and I NEED to do her companion quest and have a few talks with her along the way.

It at least gives a facsimile of them being together a while (as 3 years pass between Act 1 and 2) but there is definitely more work to be done

Yeah i'm gonna have to call troll on this one.

Wow, this guy cannot get any love, can he?

Isabela, Merrill, Anders, and Fenris can be romanced regardless of your sex. Therefore as a whole, the argument falls down. The only truly heterosexual character is Sebastian (I don't think he can be romanced by male Hawke).

However, Anders did hit on you five seconds after you met him, which did seem a little ridiculous...as did Isabella. The idea was to have extremes of personality and I can see how this could be misinterpreted. Also, since Anders and Isabella are bisexual, if they are romanced heterosexually, this could through twisted logic, be seen as portraying heterosexuals as promiscuous!

EDIT: It's not even like you jump into bed with any of the bisexual characters (maybe, Isabella, I haven't romanced her yet), the game takes place over many years!

Although Fenris was OK when you turned him down he didn't stop. No fenris I'm still not gay, fuck off. ...(ten minutes later).... Goddamnint no! I'm not gay yet!

And the fact that both Fenris' and Anders' advances come out of nowhere without any hint that you're interested in them. Who does that!? The only people I can think of are sleazebags.

More importantly; ANDERS ISN'T GAY!

How did he become gay between games!? He was fiercely heterosexual in Awakenings, and don't tell me his change is due to his companion as he had no desires at all.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 49190)