Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

That stupid fuck.
Gaider took time to defend him and he is all b'aww

Xanthious:
I'd personally like the entire staff that worked on that game fired. Not for any great social injustice though, but rather just because it was an abomination and isn't fit to wipe the ass of the other games Bioware has made in the past.

It was probably the same people who made the horrid Dragon Age: Legends game, both have horrible bugs that exist for as long as the game has been playable, both are only great at a superficial level.

And both gives you loot that, for the most part, will never be used by you!

Homosexuals don't think about anything other than sex. Just like heterosexuals don't think about anything other than sex. Gay or staight we are genetically predisposed to want to bang everyone and everything and I, for one, am okay with that.

Also, the arguement about portraying stereotypical gays (or black, or women, or bla bla bla) is such a ridiculous arguement because to do the opposite would be to deny the existence of stereotypical gays all together. There are gays that fit the stereotype 100% and there are gays that don't fit it at all; should we just pretend that there are no gays that represent the sterotype and just avoid portraying the stereotype all together? Not every gay is Omar and to present every gay as such is a denial of reality. That being said to present every homosexual as the steretypical 'gay' is also as ridiculous. Can we just have balance between the two?

Actual:

More importantly; ANDERS ISN'T GAY!

How did he become gay between games!? He was fiercely heterosexual in Awakenings, and don't tell me his change is due to his companion as he had no desires at all.

And when in awakening did he say he wasn't gay?

I agree with him that the writing for the entire game is terrible, and maybe just for that, he should be fired after all.

He's a troll, whether he knows it or not. Plus, doesn't Anders flirt with you a lot no matter what gender you are? It's not so much Bioware's depiction of homosexuals, and more their depiction on Anders.

Obviously whoever started this petition is either a homophobic troll out to remove gay material from games, or a genuine idiot who didn't actually play the Dragon Age 2.

I hope it's the former, because otherwise I would facepalm so hard I'd have to go into surgery to get facial reconstruction. Attacking Gaider as a gay and/or female gamer is the equivalent of shooting yourself in the foot.

News: Idiot creates petition.

Anders is bisexual, but more importantly... Anders is needy. If Hawke is nice to him, Anders interprets it as a possible interest in them being "more than friends".

If he's rejected, he gets disappointed and a bit angry. There's nothing wrong with this.

next thing we know female pirates will want him fired because isabella makes them all look like sluts

I have one complaint. We demanded a relationship option with the dog in DA:O.

Where is our dog option, dammit?!

sindremaster:

Actual:

How did he become gay between games!? He was fiercely heterosexual in Awakenings, and don't tell me his change is due to his companion as he had no desires at all.

Sorry, he never states outright that he's not gay but take a look at mine and Twisted post where we look at the implicit evidence to suggest he's straight. Becoming gay is just too wild a divergence from his existing personality.

Actual:
Click ma name

Look at me look at me! I'm an attention seeker!

Bollocks to this guy, he's a full on troll. If that is honestly the worst gay stereotype he's ever seen, then he clearly isn't gay, or even alive. The writing in the game may be bad, but it sure as hell ain't homophobic.

If he is, and honestly believes that, well, it looks like his aim is to segregate the gay community back to the stone age. Game developers just aren't going to bother any more, and who can blame them?

David Gaider and BioWare can just never win, can they?

Dave, wherever you are, fighting in the trenches of the internet, /salute.

You know, I don't know about 'unable to be a normal person', but I figure 'unable to think about anything but sex all the time' pretty much describes about 30-40% of the population of young men and women, both gay and straight.

Maybe they should have characterized the DA gays as 'unable to ever stop whining', but then I'd be saying, "Well whaddya know? I guess gay people are the same as everyone else after all!" ;)

Actual:
There is also a humorous conversation between Anders and Oghren where Oghren claims that Anders hatred for the templars comes from being sexually molested by a male templar. Anders' response is "Ewwwwww!"

Lol is it really so surprising that someone would respond negatively to the idea of being molested? That has way less to do with sexuality and more with not wanting to be raped.

Actual:

Plus I'm pretty sure that Anders hits on every female who he's put in a party with and never hits on the males, unless you count his and Orghren's beautiful bromance.

I was sort of under the impression that Anders was asexual in Dragon Age. Anyway, it's entirely possible that he's bisexual, liking women doesn't automatically exclude liking men.

I don't think that firing the writer is a good move, but maker of the petition definitely has a valid point.

This does nothing to help the position of Gay Gamers as totally reasonable people, I felt proud when David Gaider defended Bioware's position on the topic, now we have some self-righteous queen ruining it for the rest of us.

I seriously hope this is a troll, if not i'm sad.. not for humanity but for gay gamers everywhere. :(

Here's a writer defending the right to portray gay relationships and then he's being flamed. Fail. Fail on so many levels.
Besides, almost EVERY minority in video games is a stereotype! Just look at black people in video games. The only black characer without "black talk" that I can think of right now is Louis from L4D. Now look at women. That's enough staring you get the idea.

Hang on half a second here... The headline reads "Gay Gamers want Dragon Age 2 writer fired". Article reports of one (allegedly) gay gamer demanding this writer fired. Does this gamer represent gay gamers everywhere?

topwomble:
hahahahahhaahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahhahahahaha.
Yep.

Bingo. The reason you don't go about praising one minority is that you alienate the same minority in exactly the same way.

If you believe "gay" people all want the same thing, you're exactly as prejudice as the people who don't want any "gay" near them.

How about giving the "choice" to the player of what sort of experience he wants? Rather than to the audience of what experience he should have.

The thing that annoys me most is that Escapist is making it seem as though this is a big issue in the first place. Look at this article's title:

"Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired"

Framing like this implies that a vast majority of gay gamers are insulted by this DA2 character. A more accurate title would illicitly state that this supposed uproar is the work of a very small (practically negligible) population of homosexual gamers. The article even states that the petition only has "208 signatures", how can this really be an issue in the slightest? Clearly this whining dribble is of the unpopular opinion. I am tired of Escapist using misleading titles in their articles to create a sensation and suck in their readers. I feel like I am reading fucking TMZ for videogame players.

Proof that the large majority of gay gamers support Gaider:
http://gaygamer.net/2011/03/not_all_gay_gamers_think_alike.html

poiumty:
Yeah i'm gonna have to call troll on this one.

A gay troll? I thought they were just a myth!!

How could there be a homosexual troll when all they do is call people fags?

my head hurts...

badmunky64:

poiumty:
Yeah i'm gonna have to call troll on this one.

A gay troll? I thought they were just a myth!!

How could there be a homosexual troll when all they do is call people fags?

my head hurts...

Calling people fags is actually not troll behaviour. At least not good troll behaviour.

If this guy's a troll, he managed to get in the news with his feat. We in the 'biz call that successful trolling. He should be proud of himself.

Actual:

sindremaster:

Actual:

Sorry, he never states outright that he's not gay but take a look at mine and Twisted post where we look at the implicit evidence to suggest he's straight. Becoming gay is just too wild a divergence from his existing personality.

Actual:
Click ma name

Anders is not straight. Nor is he gay.

He is bisexual (as stated by the writer), with an apparent preference for women.

Were's the counter troll team?

I love how one representation of a small group of people in a game is so offensive to people.

I mean seriously. Come on man... Are you telling me there are no gay people out there who are aggressive pursuers and will practically force themselves on others? Because if there is. Then it's not false representation. It's just asking you to suspend belief for a second to imagine they're all in one fictional world.

you know

trying to fire the guy who went out to defend you probably isn't all that good of an idea

Necromancer Jim:
Can I start a petition to allow us to slap people who start shit this stupid?

Please do. Not only will I sign it 10,000x, but I'll also bake you a cookie for your troubles.

dbmountain:
The thing that annoys me most is that Escapist is making it seem as though this is a big issue in the first place. Look at this article's title:

"Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired"

Framing like this implies that a vast majority of gay gamers are insulted by this DA2 character. A more accurate title would illicitly state that this supposed uproar is the work of a very small (practically negligible) population of homosexual gamers. The article even states that the petition only has "208 signatures", how can this really be an issue in the slightest? Clearly this whining dribble is of the unpopular opinion. I am tired of Escapist using misleading titles in their articles to create a sensation and suck in their readers. I feel like I am reading fucking TMZ for videogame players.

Proof that the large majority of gay gamers support Gaider:
http://gaygamer.net/2011/03/not_all_gay_gamers_think_alike.html

Two or more of anything is plural. While 208 signatures isn't very significant in terms of petition support, it is multiple "gamers". I would agree with you if the title had said "All Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired", but that's not the case.

Ok, I've played the game through twice now and I still haven't had Anders hit on me. I don't understand all this 'outrage', especially about the most realistic (read: hypocritical) character in the game.

It's odd that people complain about Anders being openly sexual in the game, but not Isabela, who is essentially the counterpart to Anders in that respect.

I can understand the decision to give some rivalry points when refusing him though: it's sort of realistic. Put yourself in Anders' shoes, you think Hawke's into you, those are the signals you've been getting, then Hawke just says no. You're going to be a bit pissed off at that.

dbmountain:
A more accurate title would illicitly state that this supposed uproar is the work of a very small (practically negligible) population of homosexual gamers.

I'm forced to agree with you on this. The fix would be very simple, too: "Gay Gamer Wants Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired". Heck, even with the petition, you can't even be sure that a single person among the signers are gay. They could just be signing a petition to get someone fired for funzies.

Really though, I have reiterate my constant opinion on matters like this: "Seriously, shut up." And before anyone gets offended, I'm not talking about the people posting here. I'm talking about people that bitch and whine and START PETITIONS just because they disagree with something. I disagree with tons of things, but I keep my opinions to myself, most of the time. And when I do express them, I make sure to mention the fact that my opinions are my own, and I don't speak for anyone else.

As for this issue in particular? Guess what. I've met gay guys that can't stop thinking with their crotch, same as I've met straight guys that can't stop thinking with their crotch. Same goes for the other gender. People are people are people. Nowhere did Dragon Age 2 ever even TRY to say "THIS IS WHAT ALL GAY PEOPLE ARE LIKE. THEY ONLY WANT SEX."

So, as I said before, to the moron that started the petition: "Seriously, SHUT UP."

yeh good thing i chose to play as the women. All them sexual innuendos from the guys and girls woo hoo! XD

and since when does being flirtatious automatically mean you want sex?

No need to fire him but they're right. Dragon Age's portrayal of homosexuals is every bit as bad as black-face comedy. It's really the worst stereotypes all rolled up into one character. It just shows how pre-pubescent this industry is when it comes to dealing with serious social issues.

The aggressiveness of the letter and the fact that he apparently got his facts wrong has me leaning towards 'troll'. Maybe someone who agreed with the 'no homo'-guy?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here