Gay Gamers Want Dragon Age 2 Writer Fired

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 15 NEXT

Can we petition them to fix the game ruining bugs instead?

Unable to think about anything but sex?

Are we talking the Militant Mage Libertarian?
The Violent ex-slave who is suffering and identity crisis?
The slutty pirate (Okay maybe the slutty pirate but she was funny and cheeky.)
or the Mage girl obsessed with grabbing the history of her people no matter what even if that means resorting to horrible measures?

Even though every romance able companion is bi if you've noticed since you can romance them all as either gender and they don't seem to really present a preference.

(Though Ive heard they are written as selectively gay/straight depending on your gender so that might be a thing.)

Wait a second - is this -ANOTHER- EA insane marketing campaign? I mean, fake religious protesters is on par with a fake homosexual-'outrage'-protest.

He wrote one romance.

Fenris.

Soo...Yeah, you S.O.L there buddy.

I spoke with Gaider once, he was a very nice man.

Hey Chell do you thing Dragon age 3 will have Same-sex in it?

At this point I don't know.

Doug:
Wait a second - is this -ANOTHER- EA insane marketing campaign? I mean, fake religious protesters is on par with a fake homosexual-'outrage'-protest.

Don't forget the entire marketing campgain aimed at 10 years olds when it is M rated

Just wow he trys to do something nice and different people start yelling at him

Necromancer Jim:
Can I start a petition to allow us to slap people who start shit this stupid?

Send a link, I'll sign.

What a fuckin' retard. He actually wants the writer to get fired because he doesn't like the game feature. Don't play the game asshole.

gotta love the world!

More like David Gayder.

Please... Im not gay, but this is jsut one crazy nutjob. Your average normal homosexual this is not. Its an attention craved looser. Its the gay equivalent of the angry "dont show my kid this" mom

Gay gamer... Reminds me of that episode of 'Apocalypse Lane'
Seriously, Gaymers is an awesome clan name for gay gamers.

208 signatures?

How is this even news man?

Can we officially change the name to "Gaymers"???
Because I rather like puns.

Between this and the vandalism story, I'm going to make a petition asking gamers not to play games they don't actually like :p

The starter of the petition is a self-righteous asshole for even considering that the romantic portrayal in DA2 is anything but inaccurate for either persuasion. He clearly is the type of person that cannot be pleased.

So wait, you say no to a pick-up line and the person gets mad at you, and that warrants firing a writer....what do you think picard?

I'm sorry but newsflash, people can and do get mad when they're shot down, being gay is irrelevant. Sorry if the slider went the wrong way, doesn't mean the writer hates gay people! Besides I've been hit on by gay people before, doesn't mean I think all gay men are trying to get in my pants, you're making a mountain, out of an ANTHILL!

I fail to see why this matters when the straight characters do the same thing: it may be retarded, but it isn't homophobic.

i get the feeling that anti-gay gamer is behind this...

i have never had a problem, anders tries but if you think about it, he would be classified as pushy and is staying with that character development.

The language of the complaint is borderline incomprehensible and it looks an awful lot like trolling. But even if it isn't, the complaint is obviously dumb and, as a gay man, I actually find the complaint offensive. It's fine for a straight character to flirt with the PC and proposition him/her, but it's inappropriate stereotyping if a gay character does it? And, as mentioned, how can it possibly be stereotyping gay people as a uniform whole when it has another gay character who doesn't proposition the PC. Additional note: It's true that not all homosexual men make such advances and that some of them just want to settle down in a nice white-picket-fence neighborhood and assimilate. Some of us don't want that. At all. When you force all of the homosexuals in a game to be demure and to avoid "forcing" their homosexuality on anyone (which is already a silly phrase for anything but rape), you're being just as homophobic. In a way, you're being worse: you're not objecting to same-sex relationships, you're passing judgment on an entire culture, an entire culture that you're at least tangentially a part of.

Also, online petitions are pointless. Why do people keep doing this?

TL;DR: The stupidity is almost palpable.

I'm beginning to suspect the so-called "gay gamer" who authored this petition may in fact turn out to be a certain straight, slightly butt-hurt, male gamer, looking for a bit of payback...

Honestly fuck em. Bioware should stick to writing the story how they want and if people don't like it because it doesn't suit their sexuality they should be slapped and told it isn't their fanfic, it isn't their property and Bioware can write things how they want.

I think DA2 was the most anticipated game that got more hate than it deserved seriously this is just getting silly.

Daemascus:
This proves it. No matter what you do, you can never make everyone happy.

Welcome to the world. No matter what you do someone's gonna find a non-existant or project a reason to bitch at you for what you do.

*Sigh* I'm just ready to take a shotgun barrel in my mouth.

PFFT.

This is stupid. They're not going to fire Gaider no matter how many signatures you get. The corporate culture of Bioware isn't a democracy that gamers get a vote on. He and Mike Laidlaw are probably good friends. Ask yourself, would YOU fire your best friend because a hundred thousand irate gamers--which is maybe a percentile of your user base--are miffed with him?

That said, you know what always bugged me? Somehow, EVERY character in DA2 has no sexual preference. Doesn't that seem like a curious blind spot in their characterization? Aside from, you know...

Actual:
More importantly; ANDERS ISN'T GAY!

How did he become gay between games!? He was fiercely heterosexual in Awakenings, and don't tell me his change is due to his companion as he had no desires at all.

... that. I know they want to cater to everybody's desires, but in reality even bisexuals tend to veer one way or another, sometimes rather strongly. It doesn't feel like real, legit characterization at this point so much as pandering.

This gent actually made another good point in that ALL of the characters in the game come on way too strong and veer to RIDICULOUS extremes. On the side of being a heterosexual male, just looking at the female companions? I can't find a single reason to like either of them. Isabella is like a poster-girl for syphilis and Merrill is a meek doormat.

I don't blame Gaider for this, though, I blame the fact that the game was pushed out in less than a year and a half. :\ Any writer can see that this is really cheap shit, and I'm sure he's got enough experience to recognize that himself.

Don't feed the trolls

Andy Chalk:

It's impossible to say whether this is actually a gamer who feels legitimately aggrieved or just another Tuesday troll....

*sigh*

I'm going to go with option B.

Panorama:

Doug:

Don't forget the entire marketing campgain aimed at 10 years olds when it is M rated

EA is shit, sure, and Bioware doesn't seem to be too far from it in regards to ignorance("Japanese Role Playing Games are not RPGs!! Call of Duty is an RPG! 8D"), but I doubt this is a marketing campaign. It's hip and edgy and topical to offend religious people. It's uncool and bad to offend homosexual people.
[For those who don't have a clue, I'm with the apparent minority that thinks offending both is bad]

Also, this:

Actual:
Although Fenris was OK when you turned him down he didn't stop. No fenris I'm still not gay, fuck off. ...(ten minutes later).... Goddamnint no! I'm not gay yet!

And the fact that both Fenris' and Anders' advances come out of nowhere without any hint that you're interested in them. Who does that!? The only people I can think of are sleazebags.

More importantly; ANDERS ISN'T GAY!

How did he become gay between games!? He was fiercely heterosexual in Awakenings, and don't tell me his change is due to his companion as he had no desires at all.

Yeeeaaahh... Turning a character gay for no reason other than to appease fans (only reason I can think of) is rather stupid, since it serves nothing but to show you don't care about character continuity or integrity all too much. I can...kinda...see if Kaiden was made available for homosexual romancing in ME3, but that's because of the history he and Shep have. It'd be blatant fan service, yes, but it would make sense...kinda.

And if what Actual says here is true about Fenris, then this isn't about misrepresenting homosexuals or making heterosexual gamers uncomfortable, it's about making an extremely annoying gay character whose persistence will make people want to start weak petitions and rant all kinds of trollish topics. I mean, fuck man, it's not even that he's gay. It's that he won't SHUT THE FUCK UP about it and MOVE ON. If this is true, then congrats on stepping backwards from ME2's mostly brilliant romantic options (as derivative as most of them are).

Because it's like females are never stereotyped it games.

Hmmm, that's actually an interesting position I didn't think of. What if not even the gay guys like the gay guys? It certainly speaks of stereotypes in games at least. The petition is ridiculous, of course, but it's an interesting thought. It's really just lazy writing on BioWare's part, through and through, and it should be criticized as such.

From what I've heard of Dragon Age 2, most of the characters are just bisexual just because. Their sexuality doesn't add anything to the game other than being available for both male and female characters. In general that is not good writing, just making everyone fit into a template so that nobody gets left out.

Though I doubt this is what BioWare was aiming for, you could easily make a character whose sexuality actually matter and builds them as a character. From what people have said, everyone wants to get in your pants regardless which way your boomstick (or meat pocket) swings.

Well alrighty then.

Heh, I like that Gaider sounds like Gay-dar slightly.

Wow. Talk about a sense of self-entitlement.

This guy almost reminds me of anarchists who go to protests without actually caring about the cause and are there purely to pick a fight with police for no reason other than, most likely, 'the lulz'.

Honestly, i think the most important thing to look at when dealing with any case like this is "was there any malicious intent behind the actions of the accused?" Well, was there? God no! Gaider's little speech should have demonstrated that, in fact, it's all about the inclusion of disenfranchised minorities; gays and lesbians in this case. The fact the petitioner thinks that BioWare believes all homosexuals are promiscuous actually goes to show that the individual only believes that to be so himself and that he has issues seeing people for people rather than stereotypes and two dimensional cultures. Some people are promiscuous. Being hetero, homo or bisexual is purely incidental to the fact. Looks like somebody needs to go back to class and take Sociology 101.

Wow. I get a little annoyed at how often straight males are presented as hyper masculine muscleheads in games, or as complete sleazeball douchebags, but I don't go around demanding people be fired for producing something I chose to participate in.

A whole 200-something people have signed huh? That's less than a high school assembly in a gymnasium/auditorium!

Ian Caronia:

Yeeeaaahh... Turning a character gay for no reason other than to appease fans (only reason I can think of) is rather stupid, since it serves nothing but to show you don't care about character continuity or integrity all too much. I can...kinda...see if Kaiden was made available for homosexual romancing in ME3, but that's because of the history he and Shep have. It'd be blatant fan service, yes, but it would make sense...kinda.

And if what Actual says here is true about Fenris, then this isn't about misrepresenting homosexuals or making heterosexual gamers uncomfortable, it's about making an extremely annoying gay character whose persistence will make people want to start weak petitions and rant all kinds of trollish topics. I mean, fuck man, it's not even that he's gay. It's that he won't SHUT THE FUCK UP about it and MOVE ON. If this is true, then congrats on stepping backwards from ME2's mostly brilliant romantic options (as derivative as most of them are).

You know, I made this exact point a short time ago and got shit on for being homophobic (not on this forum). So, good luck with that. For what it's worth though, I totally agree.

o_O Huh? I'm confused. He supports gays and they want him fired?? ...what? O_o

Ok, how about we make all characters asexual? How about that? __

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook