Man Let Son Suffocate Because He Was Playing WoW

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Man Let Son Suffocate Because He Was Playing WoW

A bad situation is even worse than it sounds: A man on trial for the death of his infant son couldn't tear himself away from WoW to keep the boy from suffocating.

A sailor from King's Bay is currently on trial for his son's death because he neglected to notice that the infant was suffocating under a pillow. However, the reason for the father's neglect is being laid at the feet of popular MMO World of Warcraft: the man claims that he was so engrossed with the game that he couldn't be bothered to remove the pillow.

On January 16, 2009, 29-year-old Andrew Warner's son, Brendin, died at his Kingsland home. Warner stated that, while his wife was shopping with her mother, he babysat his son, checked on him repeatedly, gave him a pacifier, and played with him for a while before he placed the child on the bed in his and his wife's bedroom. Apparently he put pillows around the infant so he couldn't crawl off, which is when things turned tragic:

He had also told police of watching music videos much of the afternoon and logging on to a video game sometime after 3:30 p.m., Udy said. Andrew Warner had also said that when he got up from a computer game to go the bathroom, he noticed Brendin had "scooted'' his head partly under a pillow, which he removed to find the boy breathing fine, Udy said. His wife arrived home later in the afternoon and found their child had died just as they were leaving to go his mother-in-law's house for dinner, Warner told police.

However, six months after the boy died, an autopsy report revealed that the child had suffocated and Warner changed his story. He admitted that he had seen a pillow sitting on top of his son's head and didn't take the time to remove it. He also admitted that he'd heard the boy crying, but didn't turn away from World of Warcraft until he had to go to the bathroom. On top of that, it turned out that records showed the man had been playing the game for much longer than he had told investigators.

According to Assistant District Attorney Katie Udy, "He wanted to get back to his game because ... there's no way to pause it. Andrew Warner left that pillow over Brendin's head."

The trial may wrap up today, but there haven't been any updates. Aside from the manslaughter charge, is also facing charges of second degree cruelty to children, reckless conduct and making false statements to investigators. If Warner is found guilty, he could face ten years for involuntary manslaughter.

It's awful when a little kid meets with tragedy, but this whole situation is particularly heartbreaking. While I'm not excusing what happened in any way, I can't help but feel sorry for the entire family, Andrew Warner included.

Source: Florida Times Union

WHAT!? He actually did that? Not only is he a heartless thoughtless dick; we really do not need this sort of publicity. Ugh. Groups like FOX are going to be ALL over this. >_<

How is this WoWs fault? This man is just a bad parent. He could just as easly been watching football or something and this could have turned out the same. Blaming WoW is just an excuse.

Well I think I am pretty justified in saying this, What a fucking tool.

Fuck man :(
The news has been sucky all around today.

so basically he saw a pillow on his sons head and left it there cause he was playing a game?

Hang him if found guilty after deleting his wow toons in front of him.

Well, that sucks quite a bit.

I don't know what to think. My initial thought is that he is an awful parrent an should rot, but i had no idea that, that could happen. I sleep with pillows over my head all the time it would have never occured to me to see the pillow over the child and be like, "Oh FUCK!" Shows how prepared I am to be a parent.
Parent's do that self-sooth thing all the time and while i can't tell you if it works if he was just looking for a place to pause I can understand.
When did the son start crying vs.en did the father go to check on him is what i would want to know.

I doubt I will ever have children I'm way to selfish with my time. If I do, then they're fucking top priority though, can KIND OF be easy to forget that when you set the kid down to nap. Again I want a spacific time table.

Real life children don't start over in the graveyard. If this ever happened to me, I would quit the game forever. Hell, I'd quit gaming if I had such an addictive personality that I refused to get up with a child crying and suffocating in the background.

To physically see his son with his head under the pillow and not do anything is more than manslaughter. He's legally responsible for that child. And no, it isn't WoW's fault that he's a complete failure as a father and human being.

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing news like this...
Makes me want to take a hammer to the heads of such idiot-parents and an EMP to WoW and FB for providing such distractions.
Seriously, agreeing with Super-Skrull, there's too much trash in the universe...

Sorry for such a post...

People have always been terrible parents. Douche bags need to stop blaming video games. Although WoW isn't a game as much as it is a disease that you pay for.

What does WoW have to do with this, I babysat my brother as a tiny infant all the time. This guy is just a neglectful dick. And an idiot it seems.

And thus Wow is evil, nothing new. Tragic what happened, and I hope the dumbass gets what is coming to him.

OH WELL WHAT A SURPRISE, THIS IS ALL VIDEOGAMES'S FAULT! YOU PEOPLE SHOULD BE ASHAMED THINK OF THE CHILDREN, OH WHY WON'T SOMEBODY THINK. OF THE CHILDREN.

Anything to add, comrades?

I guarantee this won't be spun by the news as a result of terrible parenting, but as another excuse to call games evil.

But the main thing everybody should take away from this is that a child died due to his father being an utter tool and that is fucking disgusting. I mean props to him for confessing his stupidity (something far too uncommon) but he better get jailtime, at least, for this.

Thats...sad. Really.

jakefongloo:
I don't know what to think. My initial thought is that he is an awful parrent an should rot, but i had no idea that, that could happen. I sleep with pillows over my head all the time it would have never occured to me to see the pillow over the child and be like, "Oh FUCK!" Shows how prepared I am to be a parent.
Parent's do that self-sooth thing all the time and while i can't tell you if it works if he was just looking for a place to pause I can understand.
When did the son start crying vs.en did the father go to check on him is what i would want to know.

I doubt I will ever have children I'm way to selfish with my time. If I do, then they're fucking top priority though, can KIND OF be easy to forget that when you set the kid down to nap. Again I want a spacific time table.

Apparently the child was crying, though, which really makes this inexcusable.

Upon conviction set him on fire. Don't blame the game or anything else he may or may not have been doing, all blames lies with this worthless piece of trash.

Seriously, how long does it take to get up and move a fucking pillow off your kid? What maybe 30 seconds at the most? How much can really happen in 30 seconds, and does it really matter what happens in a game if your kid is suffocating?

o.O You know what? If nobody came right out and told me, I wouldn't move the pillow off my child's head. I sleep buried every night under thick blankets and pillows, so I wouldn't be miffed to see a child like that as well. I really don't see this guy as being all that bad-- children being able to suffocate from a pillow isn't something I consider common knowledge

Coranico:
I guarantee this won't be spun by the news as a result of terrible parenting, but as another excuse to call games evil.

Well in between the gamer in question blaming the game and the gamers here saying that violence is the solution I often wonder if they have a point.

Honestly I know they're probably not pure satanic evil but games are addictive. Games companies admit it, developers admit they make them addictive and I think most of us know they can be too.

As for games and violence I suspect that's more impotent nerds than gamers specifically but it's food for thought. Correlation isn't causation but correlation is relation.

That's just sad....

im sick of people trying to blame games. these people are failures of human beings.

Torn between my desire to kill the dipstick lousy dad for his parenting skills, and my desire to kill the dipstick lousy gamer for giving the media another false reason to demonize our hobby.

This is a tragedy but if it happened while he was watching TV I'm willing to bet no one would plaster the name of the show he was watching all over the place.

And a thousand ignorant soccer moms, special interest representatives, lobbyists, furious pundits, ill-informed members of government and sensationalist "doctors" of various fields seeking media attention all just climaxed simultaneously at the chance to exploit another grim, terrible tragedy in order to get some media exposure and suppress a medium that they know nothing about.

And on the flip side, this man is blaming the game. He was responsible for the death of his son.... his son which it was his responsibility to protect and nurture not just as a member of society, but because that is the very definition of a parent and ith as been since time immemorial. This man allowed a brand new life to come to an end because of his gross negligence.

And what do we hear?

"I am so sorry. I feel terrible. I made a tragic, terrible mistake and failed to care for my infant son. I have done something terrible and now I can only hope and pray society at large can forgive me for what I have done to cut short what could have been a wonderful, happy life due to sheer incompetence. As this boy's father, I feel such an overwhelming sense of guilt and shame that cannot possibly be expressed, but I know will haunt me forever. There is no repenting for what I have done, but I will try to redeem myself and I take full responsibility for my actions as an adult." No, actually, we don't. We don't hear this man say the words that would allow us to show him sympathy and make it possible for us to forgive him, that would show he is, at heart, still a man, still a human being.

What we get instead is "Oh shit, well I was kinda busy playing a game. Got a bit too involved to go check on him. So, Game's fault, kind of. Right?"

Fuck you, Warner. You had your chance.

ryo02:
if I was going to do something like that I wouldve had the baby in the same room I was playing the game in. just to keep an eye on the kid just incase.

That's also terrible - couldn't he have dumped a quilt on the floor and let the kid roll around on it in the same room as him, if he was going to be that deeply engrossed in his game? I mean, why did he let a fragile baby play on a relatively high surface with nothing around him but pillows? Wouldn't you just stop there and go "oh, crap, he might push past the pillow and fall!" as soon as you put him there? Christ...

And this is why I support a pause function in games. This never would have happened in Dragon Age.

Wtf man, I'm addicted to WoW yes, but I'm not that addicted to WoW. For fuck's sake man, its a baby, it will not crawl back to its body to resurrect its self and it can't take the resurrection sickness option. Its a REAL fucking baby, take care of your kid.

I hope they give him access to WoW while in jail, that way he can dwell upon the sad irony that the only thing he has left is in the virtual world. Now if you excuse me, its been five minutes since I've logged on and my warlock isn't going to lvl itself.

*turns back *

Shame on you.

*turns back to WoW*

That is a tragedy.
It was entirely his fault, the irresponsible idiot.
I hope he spends some months in jail for this criminal neglect, maybe then he could get off World of Warcraft and perhaps persue a different carrer? Cause the deaths of more children in direct response of his reglect. He could work in an amusement park!
A stupid, stupid, stupid F**KING idiot.

I honestly couldn't even finish reading this article. I have a little girl and things like this just make me fucking sick to my stomach. I can't even put it into words how disgusted this makes me and how stomach churning it is.

My daughter is my entire world. There isn't a single thing in my whole life that brings me as many smiles or as much joy. To know that someone just ... just let that go because of a fucking game...

If he were in front of me, It would take physical and emotional restraint not to irreparably harm him.

Deshara:
o.O You know what? If nobody came right out and told me, I wouldn't move the pillow off my child's head. I sleep buried every night under thick blankets and pillows, so I wouldn't be miffed to see a child like that as well. I really don't see this guy as being all that bad-- children being able to suffocate from a pillow isn't something I consider common knowledge

Do you have children? I'm not going to blame you for these statements if you don't. Having a child is a life-changing event. It completely changes your entire outlook on the way the world works.

I was reading this just as i was about to raid. Bad timing.

This is just awful for everyone involved.

if I was going to do something like that I wouldve had the baby in the same room I was playing the game in. just to keep an eye on the kid just incase.

My friend and I were talking about ways that MMOs can stem game addiction. We were impressed by the messages during the loading screens of MGS4, that encouraged you to take breaks and exercise.

So I think it should be a mandatory feature in all MMOs to notice that if someone is logged in for over 8 hours three consecutive times to kick them off and leave the message "You've been playing way too long you tool! Why don't you go outside, exercise, do some chores, spend time with someone you care about in person?"

The fact that these people are allowed to breed really, really, really pissed me off.

Hiphophippo:

Deshara:

Do you have children? I'm not going to blame you for these statements if you don't. Having a child is a life-changing event. It completely changes your entire outlook on the way the world works.

Yeah stuff like that should be pretty common knowledge for any parent, if not for most people with much common sense. Pillow over your head is covering your nose and mouth so it means you have trouble breathing, adults can sleep with a pillow on there heads (not recommended) because of the strong lungs (though if your not too careful you can smother your self that way)... A baby, with a smaller head and weaker lungs...

Great, another thing to feel disgusted with humanity over. It's bad enough that this happened, but the fact that he admits he couldn't be bothered to do anything about this even though he had in fact noticed. Lifetime of prison is too good for this man.

Yeah blame the game, not the fucking idiot.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here