New Hawken Trailer Will Blow You Away

Pages 1 2 NEXT

New Hawken Trailer Will Blow You Away

A new first-person gameplay trailer for the upcoming mech combat game Hawken is out and it is quite simply amazing.

I know a thing or two about mech games, so you can trust me when I say that Hawken, based on this gameplay trailer, looks absolutely freakin' incredible. Making it even more impressive is that the "small indie team" known as Adhesive has apparently only been working on the game for nine months. Just nine months, and they've got a trailer that has me more excited about giant fighting robots than anything since Mechwarrior 2.

Unlike my associate Mr. Funk, I'm a big fan of the heavy, hard-hitting military machines of Western-style mecha, and while the units on display in this Hawken trailer are perhaps a bit more agile than I'm used to, they still give off enough of a massive, plodding vibe to set my heart a-flutter. What the final mech selection will be like is anybody's guess, but it doesn't seem entirely beyond reason to think that maybe the team will be able to strike enough of a balance in styles to keep everybody happy.

"I'm a die hard MechWarrior fan so when I got approached to design sounds for Hawken it was a very easy answer for me," Sound Designer Sean Neri said on Reddit. "However with that said, we have definitely gone in a bit of a different direction from MechWarrior."

"The thing that is most striking about this game is the size of the Mechs in contrast to the speed they move," he added. "Most Mech games have it one way or the other, this game has large Mechs moving very fast... This makes it very challenging to design sound for!"

The Hawken website says the video is comprised entirely of footage captured during actual gameplay and that there are many other aspects of the game that aren't shown in the trailer. "However, we feel it gives a good first glimpse and are looking forward to releasing more media," the studio said.

Not bad after nine months of development. Not bad at all.

Well, I'm definitely excited. I wanna get my 'mech on.

Andy Chalk:
Unlike my associate Mr. Funk, I'm a big fan of the heavy, hard-hitting military machines of Western-style mecha

You Dig Giant Robots?
I Dig Giant Robots!

Oh man, this looks freakin' sweet! Developed by an indie team? Does this mean it'll be dirt cheap on steam? Even if it's not, I'll still give it a whirl, now if only someone could make a Zoids game with this kind of action in mind.

EDIT: On a second watch through, I notice that that map is VERY detailed, I wonder if they've just put their all into a single map or if there will be multiple with the same level of detail. And I wonder if there will be a story mode or if it's just MP.

That video threatened to rip my clothes off with sheer non-sexual force!

Looks impressive for an indie game.

I just can't believe how well the devs have merged art direction and graphics power. This game looks better than most AAA games, and it was made in 9 months by a small indie team!?! How is this possible? And if a small indie team can make such a good looking game in their spare time, why are mainstream games getting so expensive to make?

You obviously don't need to blow millions of dollars to make a good looking game anymore, so can publishers stop putting all their monies into a few unoriginal eye candy IPs and start taking risks again? Because if a small indie team can do this, then you've really got no excuse.

Is that a russian team cuz the name is clearly written in cirillyc!

Looks cool, wish it had destructible environments, spoiled by bad company 2

Looks impressive, I'll definitely check this out when it releases, especially now that the MechWarrior reboot has either stalled out or is being wrapped up in legal proceeding.

Was kind of hoping for destructible scenery, I've been waiting for a mech game where you can finish off the dilapidated city you end up fighting in. Alas, it may never be so.

HankMan:

Andy Chalk:
Unlike my associate Mr. Funk, I'm a big fan of the heavy, hard-hitting military machines of Western-style mecha

You Dig Giant Robots?
I Dig Giant Robots!

You guys too? Awesome.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
I just can't believe how well the devs have merged art direction and graphics power. This game looks better than most AAA games, and it was made in 9 months by a small indie team!?! How is this possible?

http://www.udk.com/
That's how it was possible.

Note that unless i'm mistaken, there's no actual story mode to it. That means none of the level design and set pieces we see in modern games, none of the voice-acting work, none of the lengthy design sessions for story and scripted events. Sure, there's map design, but multiplayer maps are quite easier to make than lengthy, scripted levels. One map per month and you already have half the game. The rest of the team can work on assets, weapon design, gameplay tweaks and sound. Basically, UDK is as close to a game as you can get with a level editor.

Dear God,

I don't ask for much. Really, I don't. So please, please don't let this be an April Fools Joke. I'm begging you.

TheMaddestHatter:
Dear God,

I don't ask for much. Really, I don't. So please, please don't let this be an April Fools Joke. I'm begging you.

video was posted on march 30th, and there's another teaser way before this. I knew about it for some time.

So there's your wish granted, i guess.

Thank you God/Adhesive,

It will be fantastic to fight giant robots that don't take a ridiculous amount of hits, fly much too fucking fast for me to target, and require almost mathematical knowledge of every part in order to create my own mech to match my opponents, and have better controls than AC: For Answer to top it all off.

That is all.

From the looks of it, it seems to be very FPS-ey and not as much of a classic 'Mech game.

But it still looks very sharp; I'll be watching and hoping that this one plays as good as it looks.

Am I the only one who thinks this game would look amazing in 3d? I think it would work wonders in helping you feel you're INSIDE the cockpit.
Too bad it's a multiplayer only game. I wonder if it'll have good customization options...

Actually looks pretty sweet. I will have to keep my eye open for it

Mechwarrior fans are all grow'd up and making games :D
Excellent.

Double thumbs up for heavy, hard-hitting military machines of Western-style mecha, Andy!

Well, in some levels it's generic FPS, but I really do like where this is going.
I have one (stylistic complaint) and that's when you walk, you hear normal footsteps. I'd like to hear big, grinding, smashing steps to get the feel of being in a giant machine. As it stands, I could just be a tall dude with an elaborate helmet.

Those aside, it honestly looks great, and I'll keep an eye out for it whenever it comes out.

The world would be a much better place if it had more fighting mechs.

Wait.. no, sounds about right.

Looks to be quite the game, i cant say im a little worried about all of the leaping/flying the mechs are doing but at least in this trailer it was all first person instead of 3rd person like the last one.

All and all seems like an interesting game, amazing for only 9mo in, hope they can trim back the grey on grey a bit tho.

This looks awesome, I'm sure we are all in agreement there. But there is a major point of contrition I fear hasn't been addressed properly: will the game feature a bunch of underdressed, anorexic teenagers who have to save the world in between angst and whining about said angst?

Multiplayer only? I'm just gonna walk away now. No sense getting too vested in it.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:
You obviously don't need to blow millions of dollars to make a good looking game anymore, so can publishers stop putting all their monies into a few unoriginal eye candy IPs and start taking risks again? Because if a small indie team can do this, then you've really got no excuse.

Of course you do; since the team are independent and likely won't earn a great deal of return back on the game however they are able to use the UDK for dirt-cheap - an engine that costs most studios, whom need to use more than UnrealScript, a pretty substantial amount. Furthermore the game is a Multi-player only shooter with what appears to be rather simplistic game mechanics; how exactly can you compare that to a single player game; which require far more content, and interesting set-pieces?

The game looks great yes; not as good as the previous trailer released [obviously a lot of work had gone into post-production for that video] and I am still hesitant to beleive the game will run all that smoothly due to all the minute details found in the environment [which is the reason it looks so good by the way], but it's one of the better looking UDK indie games out there.

Furthermore due to UDK's built in features and the games simplistic mechanics it's clear they didn't need to prototype various game mechanics as one might expect a larger studio to have to; the game really looks, from that video, to be UT3, with a different style of presentation, slightly slower pace and a graphical change - your comment just displays your lack of knowledge; and whilst it's understandable, it's also annoying that you'd insult developers when you clearly don't understand what goes into game development...

thethingthatlurks:
This looks awesome, I'm sure we are all in agreement there. But there is a major point of contrition I fear hasn't been addressed properly: will the game feature a bunch of underdressed, anorexic teenagers who have to save the world in between angst and whining about said angst?

Which part of multi-player only can't you comprehend?

Like I said in the other thread. Looks impressive does not look great. The trailers make it look like its tailored directly towards Mecha fans. I cannot say that this game will be bad but it doesn't say whether it will be all multiplayer (in which it does look like it will be some mindless fun) or if there will be a story in which case it does not look so good since there is only a multiplayer gameplay video and nothing hinting at a story.

D_987:

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Of course you do; since the team are independent and likely won't earn a great deal of return back on the game however they are able to use the UDK for dirt-cheap - an engine that costs most studios, whom need to use more than UnrealScript, a pretty substantial amount. Furthermore the game is a Multi-player only shooter with what appears to be rather simplistic game mechanics; how exactly can you compare that to a single player game; which require far more content, and interesting set-pieces?

How can they be compared? Just look at the video: a group of nine people have, in 9 months, created a game that visually is on par with any shooter out there today bar Crysis or Killzone (and even then, it's not that far off). Without the funding of any publishers, and entirely off their own efforts and resources.

While the gameplay may lack a little compared to the polish of AAA titles out there, I somehow doubt that adding in a single player campaign and a few setpieces is going to suddenly push development costs to over $40 million, especially when they have managed to create entire levels, mechs, scripts and multiplayer modes in 9 months. Considering most shooters now have a campaign lasting no more than 4 or 5 hours, I doubt the developers would break the bank trying to include one, even if it is a token effort.

Current game development can't continue as it is. Games are getting too expensive to make, and all the major publishers are currently dancing between ludicrous profits and dangling in the red. If the current trend continues, the industry will eventually go bankrupt. We need to see developers who are able to maximise resources, and produce slick looking games with cool ideas, that aren't ludicrously expensive to realise. That is what these guys have managed to do, and it should be an inspiration for all indie developers. If these guys can make a game like this in 9 months off their own backs, think what they could do if you gave them $1 million dollars and a couple of years.

The game looks great yes; not as good as the previous trailer released [obviously a lot of work had gone into post-production for that video] and I am still hesitant to beleive the game will run all that smoothly due to all the minute details found in the environment [which is the reason it looks so good by the way].

If it's a PC game, then that will depend entirely on the rig of the person playing it. The gameplay in the video seems pretty smooth, so I doubt it will be an unplayable mess. And if there's too much detail for the average computer, well PCs have this wonderful ability to scale the graphics down to a more suitable level.

thethingthatlurks:

Which part of multi-player only can't you comprehend?

Which part of the Neon Genesis Evangelion reference did you not get?

Sweeet. I haven't played a mech game in years, looking forward to this.

Now all we need is a decent space sim and I'll be happy.

I do like the look of this. Will probably get it. Haven't had a good mech game since Mechwarrior 3 and Pirates Moon, which I loved to pieces. Am still hoping that next game'll come out soon, but haven't seen ANYTHING in a long time to make me think it will be. There's Mechwarrior Living Legends, but I imagine it being buggy and unpolished, and I doubt it'll have any sort of player-base, especially in Australia.

But, as has been said, the mechs do look a lil quick and jumpy, but it's better than nothin aye? Here's to Western mech styles :) *cheers*

One thing I am pretty enthused about that I forgot in my first post, is you're actually in a cockpit.

I hate games where you've just got a HUD over the battle and no reference to you controlling this bit massive hunk of walking death. I want dials and gauges that work that show status, as you know dials and gauges.

Finally some motherfuckin' circle strafing and rocket spamming, not some pussy-footed cover-based fighting mechanics! My K&M shall be put to good use!

Well I'm impressed. Personally I would have liked it to be in 3rd person like the earlier trailer, but I guess first will work for the faster bits.

The Unreal engine is being put to good use here, that's for sure.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here