Brink Trailer Gives Players a Ton of New Abilities

Brink Trailer Gives Players a Ton of New Abilities

Brink isn't just about guns and shooting people with those guns. Sometimes you need to throw a fire-bomb, too.

When I checked out Splash Damage's Brink last year, I found that it was a potentially promising team-based shooter that worked well when your team was firing on all cylinders, but could be frustrating when it wasn't.

This latest trailer for the Bethesda-published quasi-futuristic FPS shows off some of the alternate abilities that characters can equip for an extra leg up in combat. For the most part, it's exactly the sort of things that you'd expect from a game like Brink - you have Molotov cocktails, sticky bombs that you can throw onto a guy's face for some extra Schaudenfreude.

You can drop a sentry turret a la TF2's Engineer, though the appropriate countermeasure is much cooler than the TF2 Spy's Sapper - you don't just destroy the turret; you hack it to turn against the people who deployed it in the first place.

Perhaps the most useful ability is the most cringe-worthy: By jabbing a syringe full of adrenaline into your heart, you can come back from the brink (har har) of death. I don't know about you, but after stabbing myself with a needle, I really wouldn't feel like shooting a gun at all, let alone engaging in Brink's fast-paced, flowing parkour.

Either way, Brink is out May 17 here in the US, and May 20 in Europe, on PS3, PC, and Xbox 360.

(VG247)

I WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT WANT.
Oh did i mention that i want brink?

Every time I see this game, I can't help thinking how good and solid the gunplay looks. Can't wait to get my hands on it, especially since I can't seem to get in to TF2.

This will hopefully end the monotony that is the modern fps multiplayer. I'm very excited to get my PC copy.

I don't know about you, but after stabbing myself with a needle, I really wouldn't feel like shooting a gun at all, let alone engaging in Brink's fast-paced, flowing parkour.

After an adrenalin shot, the last thing you'd want is to lie down.

So Modern Warfare meets Team Fortress. Color me underwhelmed.

Quite a lot of modern warfare in the gunplay, but the parkour looks to be a decent mechanic to mix things up with. Really love the range of customisation though, that's just sweet :D

poiumty:

I think you mean Mirrors Edge meets Team Fortress. Which, could either be amazing or terrible unbalanced. Hopefully it requires skill as opposed to an AK74u with grip.

This looks pretty decent, its not a sequel to anything and it does have a decent color pallet.
*crosses fingers*
Please-don't-disappoint-please-don't-disappoint-please-don't-disappoint-please-don't-disappoint-please-don't-disappoint-please-don't-disappoint...

---

Self revive? Hmm, heres hoping that's balanced out right. My experience with self revives in games is that they'll either stand you up and you'll die instantly, or you'll be made invincible and it'll be a dick move.

Brink seems like an adrenaline blast in and of itself.

dogstile:
Self revive? Hmm, heres hoping that's balanced out right. My experience with self revives in games is that they'll either stand you up and you'll die instantly, or you'll be made invincible and it'll be a dick move.

From what I remember in one of the dev diaries or whatever, is that when you revive someone else, they don't automatically stand up. A medic throws you a syringe to revive yourself and you can use it whenever (not exactly sure about that) and you would choose when to revive yourself, say after the gunfight in the area died down a little to escape from being shot down after getting back up. I'm guessing self revive would work similar to that.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFqFu3FuPGw
This is the video I was talking about, it's at about 1:30

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

poiumty:

I think you mean Mirrors Edge meets Team Fortress. Which, could either be amazing or terrible unbalanced. Hopefully it requires skill as opposed to an AK74u with grip.

Weapons look pretty MWish, but yeah there's definitely some mirror's edge in there too.

Man, this game looks terrible, I'm almost betting on bad reviews. I'm sure some will love it though so whatever floats your boat...

Patrick_and_the_ricks:

poiumty:

I'm pretty sure they had it right the first time. There was a slide in the preview....

I wonder if people even know what Parkour or Free Running actually is.

OT: I am not impressed by this game at all, so far. Any game that shows you running around and shooting people looks exactly the same as all the others to me.

I hope it's good, because then they get my money, but I am definitely waiting on reviews for this one.

Yet another game where Molotovs suck :(

Anyway, looks like TF2 on steroids. Not a bad thing for sure, but not my cup of tea.

I can imagine that the most likely outcome would that it'd get a relatively good reception from critics whilegetting a lower than expected sales could hurt the multiplyer aspect.

As good as this games trailer looks and it does indeed look good i don't think its really worthy since its just another TF2 clone without much if any original ideas of its own.

My friend thinks this game is going to completely destroy TF2. Honestly I hope he's right. I love tf2 but the constant getting stuck from a 3 inch doorframe and killed because of it are really starting to piss me off.

I think this game will work out in the end. To me it is taking the best of most games successful games out there. Gritty like CoD, TF2 style class system (but i would much prefer brinks way of classes) and the Color of the scenery of Mirrors Edge and lets not forget the PK :P. But they might fail but Splash damage is pretty good with their multiplayer

John Funk:

Either way, Brink is out May 17 here in the US, and May 20 in Europe, on PS3, PC, and Xbox 360.

I believe it has been delayed until June 15. I'm not 100% and am unable to look it up currently, but I think that's the case.

OT: Can't wait for this game. Much more parkour than just one slide, by the way. C'est serai amusant.

EDIT: My sincere apologies to John Funk. The game that was delayed was Duke Nukem, my brain just switched them around. Finals week affects us all. Once again, I'm sorry.

Man, I want to like this game, but the gunplay looks like shit. Shame.

Looks good. I have high hopes.

Self resurrection: hehehehehe!!!

I know it has to be made visually distinct, but why would hacking a mainframe result in all the blue text transforming to red? No way any system administrator wouldn't notice something a 'lil' fishy the next day :P

I am loving the style behind all of this. There are very few sharp edges, everything is smooth and meshes into each other, very curvy and wavy, like the whole parkour system it's based on. The customization looks incredibly deep as well. And FINALLY, a first person shooter with some actual goddamn color in it!

I am suddenly very interested by this game. Now to get it for PC or PS3 (most likely PC), and if for that than whether to wait for a STEAM sale or not (yes, I am a cheapskate)....

Congratulations, Brink. You've just moved from the "Kind of Interested in" pile to the "Oh...fuck yes!" pile.

Looks like the sticky grenade is rather underpowered. How difficult do you think it will be to stick someone when they can do parkour on command?

Genuine Evil:
Is it me or does every character in brink look like a rapist ?

Didn't you hear? All gamers are rapists, Brink must just be trying to make the game familiar to all of our raping selves.

Awesome. Just awesome. I didn't think I could be more eager for the release, but I am now.

OMG did i see second chance in that vid...i did see it.*turns and runs away.
PS:still gonna buy the games looks great.

BRINK is the first FPS to wow me in many years. Not a single good shooter has come out since MW1, and Splash Damage is the maker of my favorite FPS of all time (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory)

SO TAKE MY MONEYS ALREADY!

EDIT: Thank you Bethesda, for saving Splash Damage from ruin.

I am officially cautiously optimistic about this game.

SemiHumanTarget:
I am officially cautiously optimistic about this game.

Throw caution to the wind! Official Optimism Ho!

The parkour looks a little lackluster, though admittedly they weren't really showcasing it here.

Still, they could learn a lot from the moves of Mirror's Edge (though without the tedium of super-slow pipe climbing sequences. In terms of parkour, atm it feels a little more like Assassin's Creed in how slow-paced it is, and it doesn't seem all that adventurous.

Still, if this has coop multiplayer it is on my "hell the fuck yes" buy list.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here