Sony Cuts U.K. Out of European PSP Price Slashing

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Sony Cuts U.K. Out of European PSP Price Slashing

It turns out that Britain's currency exchange with the Yen isn't as good as the Euro was, hence why Sony's not cutting PSP prices in the U.K..

The good news: Sony has announced that it's cutting the price of the PSP across Europe today. The bad news: Britain apparently isn't a part of Europe, according to Sony's discount planning.

The price drop is pretty substantial: PSPs are now going for €129.99 (roughly 114), which is down from €179.99. However, the 129.99 price tag in the U.K. isn't changing. This is because there have been "favorable fluctuations" in exchange rates between the Euro and the Yen, while this isn't the case with Britain's pound.

According to Sony:

"The price drop in continental Europe has been made possible by favourable fluctuations in the exchange rate between the Euro and the Yen.

"Since we in the UK are vulnerable to two exchange rate calculations, pounds into Euro's and Euro's into Yen, we are not in a position to offer a similar cut in PSP for the UK."

While it's too bad that British gamers won't get the discount, they're actually paying about €30 less than what the system was selling for before the price cut.

Source: Eurogamer

Meh. Doesn't bother me that much. If you look in the right places, you can get one for about 80 quid, 60 if you're lucky.

I guess that's justified.
No reason for me to be more pissed off at Sony than I already am right now.

I call Bullshit on that.

Need to get Patrick Stewart on the phone so we can do a double face-palm. Sony just adores sticking its foot in its mouth lately doesn't it?

Really Sony, really? Your really going to piss off your uk base after such attempting to bad mouth your biggest competitor? Just who is control of this bloody car crash?

Yet another example of us poor brits getting shafted when it comes to the price of gaming : (

So they were paying less so they dont get a disscount? Seems reasonable.

The bad news: Britain apparently isn't a part of Europe, according to Sony's discount planning.

More likely because of the use of the britain pound.

I've got to the stage in life where nothing Sony does shocks me any more. Cheers for once again eliminating us Blightys from the equation.

I'm going to emigrate.

Don't worry to much, im sure us Brits don't need the price cut, were giving away money to everyone else at the moment, we don't need a price cut on anything -_-

Could of nocked a tenner off.

Makes sense, really.

Nice to see you all bitching about 15 too, didn't realize we had so many Scots in here. Oh!

And nothing of worth was lost. People don't really give 1/2 a fuck about the PSP in the UK anyway, can't remember the last time i actual saw one... i think it was about a year ago when i was in hospital with a 6 inch gash in my stomach.

mireko:
Makes sense, really.

Nice to see you all bitching about 15 too, didn't realize we had so many Scots in here. Oh!

Wow.. do you people still use this stereotype?.. That went out with the minstrals.

As for the PSP, meh.. it barely sold in the UK anyway.

Spangles:

mireko:
Makes sense, really.

Wow.. do you people still use this stereotype?.. That went out with the minstrals.

No, I don't think anyone over here uses that stereotype. It was a joke, see.

mireko:

Spangles:

mireko:
Makes sense, really.

No, I don't think anyone over here uses that stereotype. It was a joke, see.

There are no jokes. Internet is serious business.

I have my PSP, its going to last long into the onset of the PSP2, and I fail to see a reason to care why nothing changed where we are.

I wonder which world SONY lives in.
PSPs are still 185 Euros here in Sweden.

Is it just me or am I imagining fictious pricecuts?

Oh darn. Now all those people will have to pay more to become self-respecting adults.

I already have a PSP, but until a replacement screen becomes cheaper I won't be using it. Shame really, I bought it for Crisis Core and Dissidia, both of which were excellent. Looks like my 3DS will be my primary handheld platform for a long while. Oh wait, I'm 28 so I'm not allowed to like the 3DS :P

but Britain isn't part of Europe. They are a bunch of weird people living on a island off our coast and eat strange food. and they use ancient money.

mjc0961:
Oh darn. Now all those people will have to pay more to become self-respecting adults.

ZING! Cross referenced bitch.

Hah, the UK always gets ripped off.

Example; Microsoft's 1/$1 conversion ratio for its OSs.

vansau:

"Since we in the UK are vulnerable to two exchange rate calculations, pounds into Euro's and Euro's into Yen, we are not in a position to offer a similar cut in PSP for the UK."

Curse anyone who tries to exchange straight from Yen to GBP.

Eh, its only 15.

Loop Stricken:
Hah, the UK always gets ripped off.

Example; Microsoft's 1/$1 conversion ratio for its OSs.

moretimethansense:
Yet another example of us poor brits getting shafted when it comes to the price of gaming : (

Not really - I'm pretty sure a lot of publishers price in favour of us rather than Europe (on Steam at least, retail is nought but a far away place these days), and EA are now charging $60 for PC games, whereas they're still 30 over here.

oh no sorry arent we in enough trouble with british pound vs the euro sorry i guess we are not the nation that needs handouts sony so go somewhere else.

I already got the prince cut here.......................IN AMERICA!!!11!!!!

All the Brittish friends I have keeps saying England isn't part of Europe.
Now I get to point and laugh at them.

Denamic:

I've heard that a lot and I just don't get it. Why are the British against being grouped with Europe.

We'll have the last laugh when Spain implodes & brings the Euro down with it *monocled laugh*

So this isn't REALLY a price cut, Sony is just making adjustments for exchange rate.

Maybe this shouldn't be treated the same way as a price cut in the popular sense of the company thinking they will make more money selling each unit for a lower price.

Riobux:

vansau:

Curse anyone who tries to exchange straight from Yen to GBP.

I smell the smelly smell of bullshit EU regulations preventing what would seem such a logical action.

Traun:

Denamic:

I've heard that a lot and I just don't get it. Why are the British against being grouped with Europe.

Imagine the Canadians being called "Sort of Americans". Or Texans being "Basically Mexicans".

Looks like the brits actually had it much cheaper when the PSP still actually mattered.

thats like 15? not much tbqh if it was like a massive price cut say like 50 then i would actually be annoyed

The_root_of_all_evil:

Traun:

Denamic:

Imagine the Canadians being called "Sort of Americans". Or Texans being "Basically Mexicans".

This doesn't make much sense. Both Mexico and Canada are in North America, the British Isles are in Europe

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here