Peaceful World of Warcraft Player Hits Max Level Without Kills

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

The ultimate pacifist? o-o

Wow, I just found out that WoW has some RPG elements.
I thought the MMO"RPG" was there just to sell that stuff.

Wow. That is really impressive.

And I thought I had too much time on my hands when I decided to play Mass Effect and Mass Effect 2 back to back the other week.

Raiyan 1.0:

Mazty:
It's because of things like this that gaming will always carry a stigma.

I thought a major stigma attached to video games is the inherent violence - a convention she just broke.

Not really. The media seems to now deem it normal to play games like Call of Duty without batting an eye-lid after the sensationalism over 'that level' blew over, with different shows and people referring to it. The reason that this achievement isn't an achievement as much as it is a step backwards for gaming is the sheer time involved in doing it. Many people will ask "what kind of person dedicates so much time to doing something so repetitive?" Personally I believe it's acts like this that help to negatively label games like World of Warcraft.

Fair play to her/him this is what the game is all about // Not just grinding away at quests& mobs but exploring it as a traveler would in the real world

Now the next question what's next for our adventure?

-M

Klitch:

felixader:

Klitch:
That's both extremely impressive and so very, very sad.

Why? The last thing that kept me playing WOW was exploring the world.

But after a while i realized that anyone can and will foce you to use the awfull, repetetive and boring (in my oppinion of course) battle system, and so i finally quit it.

I find all achievements to be pretty sad. It's as if people think that by accomplishing something in a game they can validate the time they put into it. To think that this girl/guy spent seven years working towards something that will give her/him a few days of internet fame makes me feel bad.

I realize that the internet fame wasn't the actual goal and we can only speculate as to why this person decided to invest an ungodly amount of time (and money) playing a game contrary to the way the developers intended (I don't think you can argue that). Regardless of how sad this makes me, it's still very impressive and I think it's cool that someone actually did this. I just don't believe that the emotional or mental payoff from reaching that milestone can possibly be worth the investment.

I love getting achievements and i dislike you judging me for it, i like getting achievements for a couple of reason and in NO way because i think it validates my self or my time spent. I like completeing things and i liike having awards achieves give for fun. Now get off of your high horse and stop calling people sad

Mazty:
Many people will ask "what kind of person dedicates so much time to doing something so repetitive?"

I'm sure the 62 million+ Farmville gamers will be able to relate.

Fact is, I don't think the term 'stigma' is really applicable any more, considering the widening demography of MMORPGs. In fact, I would say we are part of the minority who don't understand the appeal of grinding.

I hate to sound rude, but what a waste of time...

chunkeymonke:
Snip

Well I never actually called people who enjoy achievements sad (I said the concept makes me sad), but the point is taken. I would just like to point out that if you find enjoyment in getting achievements, then you are seeking an emotional payoff from the time you invest in games like I suggested.

When I play a game like WoW, for instance, I find enjoyment in completing quests, talking to people, leveling up, finding new loot, etc. I don't want to work to achieve things like "talked to 7 different people" or "killed 10,000 murlocs" so that I can enjoy myself.

I feel like achievements are a way for games to cover up faults by making the actual process of playing the game a game in itself (and not a good one). All that said, I realize that others enjoy achievement gaming (though I can't admit to understanding why) and I should perhaps be a little less judgmental about it.

Raiyan 1.0:

Mazty:
Many people will ask "what kind of person dedicates so much time to doing something so repetitive?"

I'm sure the 62 million+ Farmville gamers will be able to relate.

Fact is, I don't think the term 'stigma' is really applicable any more, considering the widening demography of MMORPGs. In fact, I would say we are part of the minority who don't understand the appeal of grinding.

Grinding is one thing.
Hitting level 85 through extended, self-inflicted grinding is another.
The time required to do that is far greater than regular grinding or Farmville would ever require by a considerable amount. And for what reason? Clearly it's possible - basic math. But was it necessary? Nope. And that's why actions like this help to gain games stigma.

Someone also did this in Wrath of the Litchking as a Forsaken Priest

That's pretty impressive but would it really be all that fun? Sounds like a hell of a grind with no real reward (unless you consider the exploration of every nook and cranny a reward in itself).

LCP:

The same logic could be applied to all video games.

It's all a matter of perspective.

PettingZOOPONY:

icyneesan:
She is living the dream I've had about MMOs for almost 10 years. A world where you do not have to kill shit and can just explore a interesting location chatting and meeting new people...

The only problem is that this mmo happened to be World of Warcraft and not The World :\

I use to log into WoW just to chat with people and not play when I wasn't busy met a ton of people that way.

A lot of people tell me stuff like that, but I've had such a poor experience when trying out WoW. Meeting nice people seems to involve a lot of luck :\

wow! amazing work lady/guy!! reminds me of the dude who leveled up naked. not an easy thing to do, but an amazing feat! I hope the blizz peoples give him/her a special achievement for this!

Everbloom sounds like a very peaceful person. She simply explored the world without harming any creature within it. She is a model for all of us, and we should all follow in her footsteps.

How long would that take O.o

The difference between the first level and last level must be huge...

Z of the Na'vi:

LCP:

The same logic could be applied to all video games.

It's all a matter of perspective.

At least I have my fun playing games (with people I personally know), that just looks like a huge grind.

Oh well, some things are not meant to be understood

Alot of people fail to see how much gold this character has from mining and crafting.

That's very very impresive. Hats off to you miss Everbloom! That takes focus and dedication that I doubt I could muster for nearly that long.

How'd she get to level 5 to learn journeyman professions..?

Cool. It did take six years to accomplish, though...

Wow. This makes the server first guild who gotten to level 25 look like stupid... Okay, so my mind can't process anything at the moment. Probably because it was blown by this news story.

Impressive, but dont forget: leveling got easier with Cataclysm. I actually made it from lvl 83 to 85 with only leveling archeology.
Professions give tons of exp now, sometimes more then actually killing something around your lvl. While playing on alts i found myself having quests turning to grey because i leveled so much with professions+killing, before having a chance to handing the stuff in.
I imagine the problem is sometimes getting to the herbs/orbs/whatever without killing, so yeah, its a nice achievement.

warcraft4life:

Exploration i guess.

Reminds me of that gnome who was the first to get exalted faction in Darnassus via the Morrowgrain quest; I tried that for an hour or two before I got sick of it.

plugav:

Verkula:
Impressive, but dont forget: leveling got easier with Cataclysm. I actually made it from lvl 83 to 85 with only leveling archeology.
Professions give tons of exp now, sometimes more then actually killing something around your lvl. While playing on alts i found myself having quests turning to grey because i leveled so much with professions+killing, before having a chance to handing the stuff in.
I imagine the problem is sometimes getting to the herbs/orbs/whatever without killing, so yeah, its a nice achievement.

warcraft4life:

Exploration i guess.

plugav:

Huh? No it didnt. You couldnt even get XP with professions before the Cataclysm expansion, wich is out since december.

My molestake.

MiketheBassMan:
People talking about her "beating" WoW by getting to max level with no kills are sorely mistaken. Leveling is a tiny part of the experience, and the vast majority of the game exists in raids. It is certainly impressive, but entirely trivial because there is no way to proceed from there without killing anything.

False. She still never needs kill anything endgame. Healing is always a vital option.

And you might need help getting that rod out of your ass, because last time I checked, WoW is what you make it. People can "beat it" by making the best twink they can, or forming a strong battleground group that can't be beat, or even just by meeting new people. Just because so much content is involved in raiding does not mean that that is the be all, end all aspect of WoW. There is no way to beat by any conventional means. It never ends, but at the same time it does, because you have to set your own expectations and make your own experience.

Everbloom posted over at WoW forum thread. when asked how long it took...

10 days 19 hours played, but started her back in October, or September even (trying to work out her creation date atm)
It's been a slow process :)

I thought this was an interesting stat from Everbloom's profile.

Total healing done........ 1,962,636
Total healing received... 1,963,987

edit to add: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2353107047?page=14 Post #272

Infernai:
Ten bucks says that this Everbloom person is actually Hideo Kojima...or Vash the Stampede.

They're the same person, I think. This sounds like a new trope: He *tries* not to be a BAMF...

I don't know if I should be impressed or scared. That's some kind of ridiculous dedication...

o.0 wow, i'm impressed,
they deserve something for being insane enough to try

HerbertTheHamster:
Why would you do that

Seriously

To prove you can. Just like the guy who beat Modern Warfare 2 without killing a single enemy.

Talk about free time...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or