Survey Calls Kids Who Play Games "Little Brats"

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Survey Calls Kids Who Play Games "Little Brats"

Parents of kids were asked to rate their children after playing games as "ignorant zombies" or "aloof."

I'm sure that there are a bunch of parents out there who believe that their child's brain is now mush from having played too many dang videogames. Hell, I think my parents thought the same thing even back in the 80s. But it's another thing for a company to conduct a survey with such loaded adjectives as "unreasonable," "aloof" and "angry" and try to pass it off as truth. But that's exactly what a survey that was apparently conducted by the owners of the Warwick Castle's attraction in the U.K. did in order to convince parents to buy tickets for their new Dragon's Tower, which ties into the BBC series Merlin. The Dragon's Tower launches on April 14th.

"This will be an exceptional visitor attraction, completely in keeping with our reputation as Britain's ultimate castle and designed to wow visitors young and old," said Tim Harrison-Jones, General Manager of Warwick Castle.

The problem is the survey, which asked 2000 parents about their children's behaviors after playing even a half hour of videogames. The children were all aged between seven and fifteen years old.

Here are some of the findings of the survey:

• 6 out of 10 parents limit game playing because of the effect it has on their children.
  • 3 out of 10 said that they witnessed a change in behavior after the children played games.
  • 4 in 10 said that it was hard to get them to do "anything."
  • 1 in 4 said their children became "ignorant zombies."
  • 1 in 5 said their children became "little brats."
  • 28 percent claimed that their children became "lethargic."
  • 49 percent claimed that their children became "unreasonable."
  • 1 in 6 said that their children became "aloof."

"A large percentage of youngsters stick themselves in front of games consoles at every opportunity and for a long period of time," a spokesman from Warwick Castle said. "This is contributing to few kids playing outdoors, getting fresh air and it's impacting on their school work and creativity."

Even if all of this were true, is the answer really to go to a castle and pretend that you are a knight for a few hours? ... Wait a second, this Warwick Castle place looks pretty cool. Maybe I should shut up and cooperate with them and the Daily Record to get these parents to take their kids to the Dragon Tower.

It sure beats going to a football match, amirite?

Source: Daily Record

Parents do have to realized they need to be involved with their children and keep an eye on this stuff. kids don't play with sticks and dirt enough these days.

Ha! I honestly think that videogames have the same impact as playing outside and doing other activities, a child that plays outside is also likely to think work, chores, and being obediant is fun, while a child that plays videogames see that being forced away from their game to do some task a parent gave them for no pay or rewards is dull and they wouldn't want to cooperate. I would go as far as to say that some children that play videogames will do better in real life than the ones outside, they realize that life sucks and that they need to try hard to make everything better, but the flipside is all the arguments that come with that, such as them becoming 30-something year olds that still live with their parents and whatnot.

That hawk in the video is clearly attacking the children.

Doesn't anyone CARE?

D:

49% claimed their children were "unreasonable"??? Have you been around ANY children in your life? Gaming has nothing to do with that, young kids are naturally unreasonable (for the most part) and blaming it on video games is probably the stupidest thing I have ever heard of...

Someone should do a survey about Dragon Castle :P

I bet you could put a child in front of a television playing kids TV and get those same kinds of stats.

edit: Also, if this is your method of advertising your attraction, essentially slandering your competition, then you come across as quite petty in my book.

What is a change in behaviour? How is that something to automatically consider bad?

A lot of kids love to go out and play usually with THEIR FUCKING PARENTS but they are too busy watching tv to bother.

Ah, Warwick Castle's tower. When i went they had it as a haunted tower, and it was pretty awesome- scary too i should add. About 2/3rds of the people whom went in left early because of it. They also have a trebuchet there, which i've seen them shoot. (They only throw the stone 300m though, probably for safety reasons.)

Anyhow- i can see the business rationale behind getting parents worried about kids spending too much time on video games as a means of getting the parents to spend money at Warwick castle...that's business for you though.

I'm sure that children who are "little brats" after playing games were exactly the same before even picking up a controller.
Kids aren't perfect little angels who become twisted and evil and stupid after playing games; they just naturally act that way, it's part of being a kid.

>Do survey about kids playing vidya gayums
>Be an unofficial and non-scientific source for the study
>Claim credible findings
>????
>PROFIT!!

I mean it's really sad and pathetic that this place thinks it needs to pointlessly target video games. Oh and let me be clear, THEY WERE ASKING PARENTS TO OBSERVE BEHAVIOR WE'RE ALREADY AWARE OF.

Leave it to these guys to think that this 'survey' was necessary. It just shows that the 'majority' of children easily succumb to the appeal of video games and, being children themselves, are unable to control their desires to play said video games. So... parents need to go to their child and 'pull' them away from the games. THEN if they don't cooperate, you take matters into your own hands and cut them off physically.

Ohh yeah, this sounds like a great study all right. Poorly worded questions? No control? Obvious market bias? What could go wrong!

Guess what parents. Most of us already consider your children to be annoying little cunts. And it aint got nothing to do with the video games.

Anyway yeah, the company that ran this "survey" just lost major points in my eyes just because they used such a douche bag tactic.

Solution to problem: force your kids to stop playing their beloved video games and make them watch BBC's Merlin. Then as an additional punishment, take them to the place that convinced their parents to take away their beloved video games.

Later the parents realize the folly of their ways, finding out that their kids are jackoffs and video games were the only thing keeping them out of their hair. Remember back then? Yeah, life wasn't a complete nightmare back then.

What the fuck have kid's reactions to games got to do with Merlin and towers?! Why did they think that would help? I don't know many people who would say: 'Right. You can't play games. What can you do? I know! Go to a castle!'

The Fuck?

Wow, and I thought that always getting sent to my room and told to shutup and watch TV as a child were my parent's fault...NOPE! I'm apparently just a mindless zombie who chose to stay in his room because I had the gall to actually get sent there by my abusive father who wouldn't let me play outside with my friend's. Gee Wiz, that sure turned around my whole view of video games. I guess now I should go out and visit a f**king castle while acting like a knight for several hours! OH! What fun I'll have being laughed at by the rest of my peers and made to feel a outcast! All thanks to that wonderful survey for turning my life around!

'ignorant zombies' and 'aloof' O.O

This seems an odd way to promote a castle...

The parents are just trying to shift the blame from "bad parenting" to something else.

Also, Warwick Castle isn't as badass as the ad says - I've been there and it's just "OK", I guess.

Yay! Politics have come to entertainment!! Seriously, I would have hoped that the whole "degrade that other party" would have stayed in politics, but I'm afraid I was hoping for too much.

So the LARP'ers are saying that gamers are taking away their audience.

Whats the discussion here?

"Children who had never seen electricity before were described by their parents as 'perfect' and 'highly successful in later life'."

OK, they never actually said that.

Nickolai77:
Ah, Warwick Castle's tower. When i went they had it as a haunted tower, and it was pretty awesome- scary too i should add.

Yeah... I was really young and I ran out of the scary tower as soon as I entered...

Wow they are slimy, sneaky, bastards them Brit capitalists, mm-hmm. Tthis is the exact kinda thing I expect FOX to pull off not England. Cmon England you're not FOX, you're not stupid, you're not rum by racist biggits who apply to an audienece of ignorant redneck sheep to blind to see that the Republicans love money over the people to the extent of slavery, you're not evil, you're England and I expected better from you.

MisterM2402:
The parents are just trying to shift the blame from "bad parenting" to something else.

Also, Warwick Castle isn't as badass as the ad says - I've been there and it's just "OK", I guess.

That's exactly what it is. If you don't like what your kid is doing then do something about it, don't just complain about it on a survey.

Sindre1:

k.

Warwick Castle is nothing more than a tourist trap that attempts to merge the fantasy side of England to the Middle Ages.

I give it 1 set of drunken knights jousting for a measly bi-weekly paycheck........ out of five.

"After dressing up as a knight for a few hours, did your child:
A) become lathargic?
B) refuse to obey your command to go home and wash up?
C) become angry... at being dragged to a castle?
or D) become obsessed with swords and violence?

Stop taking them to Warwick Castle, where they act out violent fantasy in real life swinging life like weaponry, and buy them a PlayStation! Where all their actions are clearly fictional, and they will sit in their room quietly without fuss!"

See how easy this is?

• 6 out of 10 parents limit game playing because of the effect it has on their children.
  • 3 out of 10 said that they witnessed a change in behavior after the children played games.

Funny this what I think most kids age 7-15 are like regardless of what activity they do beforehand.

Greg Tito:

Note to some American researchers how "violent" and "rape-ey" did not appear in the survey responses in any quantity worth mentioning.

Maybe they didn't ask. :/

Of course most of the parents who worry about their kids becoming "little brats" from playing computer games all day are probably the same lot who never let their kids go out and play in their local park because they think they'll be snatched away by some pedophile dressed as a clown...

Greg Tito:

Against all odds, that was what locked me into gaming to begin with.

I didnt enjoy exercise at the ripe-old age of 5, so natrually i wasnt pleased when my dad took me to a fotball training... thing at the park one British spring day (Read: cold).

After some 5 minuites of underperformance followed by half an hour of complaining i got out of it with a hatred of cold weather, football and the outdoors in general, and a need to do something with my time.

As it happened, i remembered about that underused Playstation that was in my room.

Also, as for creativity, knowing alot about other peoples work allows me to throw bits together out of any three or four games, books or movies then pass it off as original.

These people don't know what modern children are like, modern children can be summed up with the word "Douche" they are douches, they are annoying, arrogant little bitches who need to be taught respect. But no one bothers any more, it's just kids being kids. Rules ladies and gentlemen are officially for adults now, so that kids won't know what hit them when they're expected to do things.

Kalezian:

Sindre1:

k.

Warwick Castle is nothing more than a tourist trap that attempts to merge the fantasy side of England to the Middle Ages.

I give it 1 set of drunken knights jousting for a measly bi-weekly paycheck........ out of five.

That is a review, not a survey.

Greg Tito:

Whats with raggin on football?

Also warrick is full of arseholes that's why they have decided to do some toss pot survey

Greg Tito:

So basicly...

• 4 out of 10 parents do not limit game playing because it has no effect on their children.
  • 7 out of 10 said that they did not witness a change in behavior after the children played games.
  • 6 in 10 said that it was not difficult to get them to do "anything."
  • 3 in 4 said their children did not become "ignorant zombies."
  • 4 in 5 said their children did not become "little brats."
  • 72 percent claimed that their children did not become "lethargic."
  • 51 percent claimed that their children did not become "unreasonable."
  • 5 in 6 said that their children did not become "aloof."

Btw, it's called framing.

Gah, this old arguement again? I have no idea how they keep tying playing videogames and becoming cockmongers.

Ok yes, a majority of gamers are cockmongers.
But that doesn't mean that videogames caused it! It means it's some kind of latet cockmonger-ey-ness.
And if some guy goes and shoots people or jacks cars, it's not because of a game! If you go out and act like a total dick, it's not because you played the "Murder Simlators" GTA4 or Half Life! If you go and shoot people, you were fucked up before you picked up the controller, or mouse, or whatever.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here