GLaDOS Origin Story Told in Full Portal 2 Comic

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

GLaDOS Origin Story Told in Full Portal 2 Comic

The entirety of Valve's official Portal 2 comic has been released, bridging the gap between Portal and its sequel, and giving us a look at GLaDOS before she was evil.

Portal's GLaDOS wasn't always evil. Well, I guess she was, but she hid it really well at first. This we know from a portion of Valve's official Portal 2 comic which has now been released in its entirety.

Valve teamed up with IGN Comics to release the comic in two parts, both of which are now available. The comic follows Doug "Ratman" Rattmann, an Aperture Science employee otherwise known as the guy that scribbled all those helpful messages on the walls of the test chambers in Portal.

Not to give too much away, but it turns out that Rattmann wasn't killed before or after the events of Portal. In fact, he played a major part in getting things moving for Chell in both the first game and the sequel.

I'm not trying to be a fanboy or anything, but sh*t, this comic is amazing if you're a Portal fan. It finally reveals some of the mysteries behind the series, and hopefully is only a taste of what we'll get when Portal 2 is released for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on April 19.

*Anyone that has trouble viewing the comic at full size can also check it out here*

Source: IGN Part 1, IGN Part 2

GLaDOS makes an appearance in a comic book about portal? You don't say...

Though I forgive you for being a fanboy. I found the idea that someone else was running around to be quite interesting.

The apparent origin of "the cake is a lie" was a tad random - was it by mere chance that the phrase manifest itself?

Making an article about how GLaDOS appears in the Portal 2 comic is kind of like making an article saying the new CoD will have guns in it.

I won't be reading it though, I kind of like all that "mystery" stuff. The great thing about Portal (and a lot of other Valve games, now that I think about it more) is what isn't told in the stories.

Wow, the comic explains a lot! Thanks for sharing this.

BonsaiK:
Making an article about how GLaDOS appears in the Portal 2 comic is kind of like making an article saying the new CoD will have guns in it.

I won't be reading it though, I kind of like all that "mystery" stuff. The great thing about Portal (and a lot of other Valve games, now that I think about it more) is what isn't told in the stories.

This doesn't really spoil anything as much as it gives you the "10 minutes before" all the way up to 0 minutes till the next game.

I highly recommend it, it is very emotional and I almost cried :)

Very nice. The art style is refreshing. Reminds me of Quentin Blake.

and that explains alot actually. Very nice Valve. Very nice.

well that was entertaining.....but does that mean wheatly is evil or was he trying to save her?

Amazing it's added a lot to my thoughts about this game.

The Ratman can still be alive! YAY! also, yay Portal 2 stuffs! yay extreme...loss of...productivity...yeah...damn...

How do you measure "Tenacity"?

Mahorfeus:
The apparent origin of "the cake is a lie" was a tad random - was it by mere chance that the phrase manifest itself?

One of GLsDOS's last lines is "there really was a caaaaakkkeeeeee*static*", and the idea behind it was that the Ratman knew that the promised cake was actually death, so he was leaving you a message. Doesn't sound like mere chance to me.

Rigs83:

Times played Super Meat Boy.

Direwolf750:

Rigs83:

Times played Super Meat Boy.

This.

But yeah, the comic was really quite good and very informative.

Anyone else think it's interesting that GLaDOS is alive in the comic (IE after we kill her in Portal 1 and before we reactivate her in Portal 2)?

This could be regarded as a mistake, but with all the comic's themes of perception vs reality I wouldn't be surprised if it has some bearing on the plot of Portal 2.

IvoryTowerGamer:
Anyone else think it's interesting that GLaDOS is alive in the comic (IE after we kill her in Portal 1 and before we reactivate her in Portal 2)?

This could be regarded as a mistake, but with all the comic's themes of perception vs reality I wouldn't be surprised if it has some bearing on the plot of Portal 2.

I'm not sure if this is correct but flash backs my friend, flash backs

I might just be really tired, but this comic kinda sucked :\

Art was nice. Not having played Portal 1 just made all of this confusing. I was thinking of just picking up the 2nd game but now I'm not so sure.

IvoryTowerGamer:

I'm 99% certain that the portions where GLaDOS talks take place in a flashback - he's recalling the day she managed to kill the scientists that created her.

Anyway, this was a very touching and interesting bit of backstory, with some wonderful art to boot. Color me impressed!

mParadox:
Very nice. The art style is refreshing. Reminds me of Quentin Blake.

You see Quentin Blake, I see Ralph Steadman, particularly the pages with the pills.

I'm not sure this was really needed. All I needed to know about GlaDOS was that she was an evil computer with a wicked sense of humor. I'm always afraid when I find an awesome character in a game and then see the developers start adding things to round our the character.

It's like Jack from Mass Effect 2. My first impression was "Badass Biker Chick with No Shirt and Biotics" and then she was a tortured child, then emotionally unstable (and not in the cool psychopathic way), then she fell in love with you, then she was angry when you picked Tali instead and goes all passive-aggressive and by the end I'm tempted to let her die in the final mission so I don't have to deal with her in Mass Effect 3. Less is more sometimes.

What was I talking about...? Oh yeah, GLaDOS origin; great for those of you who want to know, but I think I'll skip and keep GLaDOS perfect in my mind.

Finally, we have context.

That was KICKASS! Awesome. It's pretty sad that my friend, who is also a major Portal fan(that's all he has played these past weeks), won't understand it. He has MAJOR issues with understanding timelines. He just doesn't understand stuff if it isn't crystal clear. He asked me why Jensen got wings in the Human Revolution trailer for example. I've prepared a facepalm for when he asks me what's going on in this comic.

Klitch:
snip

You don't have to worry about that. The comic tells you that she has always been a evil computer with wicked sense of humor. There's nothing added to her to make you think differently of her, so you owe it to yourself to read her new one-liners.

Well I know I just read all 27 pages of the comic, but I can't remember a single thing about what I just read except having a vague feeling of "well this doesn't really explain anything".

It's a little too abstract and incoherent to be informative.

Is this like an actual valve released official comic thingy or more like fanart?

Wow, that was really good! I loved the ending :D

I thought that was pretty cool. What would be even cooler would be if you could find him sleeping in that pod thing during the second game and talk to him. He'll probably end up dieing though, just has that look about him.

I don't really like the idea of another human running around alive while Portal is going on. The sense of isolation and alienation in that game were great. Turns out somebody had Chell's back the whole time? No thanks.

Also, Chell comes off too pretty-looking here. She even looks to be wearing lipstick in some panels.

Direwolf750:

Mahorfeus:

One of GLsDOS's last lines is "there really was a caaaaakkkeeeeee*static*", and the idea behind it was that the Ratman knew that the promised cake was actually death, so he was leaving you a message. Doesn't sound like mere chance to me.

It is amazing how the writers made the 'cake is a lie' that clever.

I am tempted to get this but then I remember that Portal was about NOT knowing much about your environment. I am not reading a single thing about Portal 2 just as I didn't with 1.

Needs more GLaDOS humor!

IvoryTowerGamer:

Still alive?

Makes perfect sense to me.

Bring Your Cat To Work Day? Awesome. Fucking awesome.

"Remember, science rhymes with compliance. You know what doesn't rhyme with compliance? Neurotoxin."

That line as well as GLaDOS talking about schrodinger's cat made me lol so much, I can't wait for Portal 2!!

More proof that Valve is wizards.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or