THQ: Homefront Is Not a 71

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Huh, I thought 71 was a more than generous score for Homefront.

Let's get something straight, please.

"A million units in a week on an original IP coming out of nowhere I think speaks a lot to the concept and the marketing of the game,"

If by Original IP, you actually just mean New IP, then that statement is correct. Because as far as a game IP goes, Homefront is not Original by any stretch of the imagination.

I'm not saying it's bad. I haven't played it in fact. But I've seen enough to know that it does not deserve the (unfortunately) coveted badge of "Originality".

I agree. A 60, at most.

Irridium:
Its funny, because if the game got a 90, you know they would plaster it in every advertisement they could.

This. He's just doing some damage control for the low reviews the game's been getting while collectively self-congratulating for the fact that the game managed to sell so much.

You just know that this game will cease to be relevant by the end of the year, barring any sequel announcements.

Another point about the originality; all the crap Korea put the poor americans through, and all those shocking scenes which were deliberately constructed to hit us with the shock&awe stick...

I learned about those things in fifth grade world history. I might even go so far as to say the whole game was -in order- taken from my history book section on the germans in world war 2.

They're right, Homefront is definately not a 71... It's more of a 50, 55 tops...

Pro Tip for the next game you guys make: Make it longer than 4-5 hours, try to elevate it beyond a mediocre CoD clone and make better characters, cuz i thought the most interesting character in that game was the Korean Sentry Towers

Review scores help the buyers, like with OXM and GameInformer, I don't even think about buying anything that gets lower than a 7.5 (the only exception being Magicka, because I got it before it was reviewed, and because it's awesome). With MetaCritic, a 75+ is a "Eh, it's alright" to me. But I'm not even touching it when 3 days after it was released, a guy was returning it to Gamestop and told me NOT to buy it and just stick to CoD.

Onyx Oblivion:
Yes it is, THQ.

71 isn't bad.

WHY ARE REVIEWS NOW BASICALLY ON A SCALE OF 7-10?

Anything below a 7 is somehow shit-on-a-stick.

I'm guessing it's because school grades go by basically that scale, where once you go below 65 (or 6.5 in this case) you get an F, and it doesn't really matter how far below 65 you are

I give it a 5. pretentious crap trying to be an amazing story. its as lazy as they come.

Onyx Oblivion:

WHY ARE REVIEWS NOW BASICALLY ON A SCALE OF 7-10?

Because that's the way it is and that's what we're used to.

Because for every game reviewed by major publications there's a certain required level of technical quality that a given "7" demonstrates.

OT: Doesn't look to be a 71, I'll give it that.

Sounds like someone is trying to make his serious disappointment sound reasonable. And will he actually listen to suggestions and constructive criticism? Considering the laziness that went into that shit game, I doubt it. Time to move on.

They "captured" my imagination to the point were I will be willing to spend $20 on this game. I know this seems harsh, but THQ has yet to prove themselves in the FPS genre, and they toted this game as if it were the sequel to COD or Battlefield 2. Everything their employees have been saying have just annoyed me to no end, and they have no amazing FPS to back themselves up with.

Maybe when you work on games with a storyline that wasn't written with the waste used from a monkies backside and then dappened onto a wall by a downsyndromic chimpanzee, I would give it a proper rating.

I don't pay 50 pounds for multiplayer THQ, no matter how bad you want it to be, I will only pay for your multiplayer crap if it costed on a scale of 1-20 pounds.

Edit: Homefront is... art? -insert laughed from father grigori-

I certainly hope Bilson keeps his job, because THQ is all too happy to axe anyone who doesn't immediately give them monetary return; but beyond that I'm not sure this bothers me at all. 71 seems about right to me. Of course, I feel like every game ever made deserves harsher critics lest the industry become bloated and too easily satisfied (like it currently is).

We're not talking about art here. We're talking about Homefront. Which is a five-hour long game, if that, designed to attract you based entirely on shock value. And for something like that, I think it's very easy to assign a number value to.

All games are not art, Mr. THQ guy. In fact, I'd say very few games qualify to have that title bestowed upon them. And Homefront doesn't come anywhere near that mark. I'd say a 70 is being generous.

Ya its totally art. All 4 hours of stereotypes, easily predictable plot, and ripping off of Modern Warfare. I'm kidding of coarse about that last one, its not completely like MW. MW had an interesting story.

There's a name for people who dismiss other's opinions as being irrelevant its called:

PrototypeC:
I certainly hope Bilson keeps his job, because THQ is all too happy to axe anyone who doesn't immediately give them monetary return; but beyond that I'm not sure this bothers me at all. 71 seems about right to me. Of course, I feel like every game ever made deserves harsher critics lest the industry become bloated and too easily satisfied (like it currently is).

Dude, the game was 4 hours long, packed was stereotypes, and the plot they were so proud of was laughably predictable. So don't worry, it actually deserves less than 71.

I was playing Crisis 2 about the same time as Homefront, so its mediocrity was even more obvious when compared to a legitimately fun game.

The Wykydtron:
I thought the most interesting character in that game was the Korean Sentry Towers

rofl why did we have to kill them? They were just doing their job D:

THQ let me just say that you are not going to convince people that the game is good by saying "NO! YOU'RE WRONG! IT IS AN AMAZING WORK OF ART!"

Fippmeister:
Another point about the originality; all the crap Korea put the poor americans through, and all those shocking scenes which were deliberately constructed to hit us with the shock&awe stick...

I learned about those things in fifth grade world history. I might even go so far as to say the whole game was -in order- taken from my history book section on the germans in world war 2.

ha, I knew I wasn't the only one who noticed

"You can't apply math to art."

Clearly this must mean that 71 > 100.
Homefront must be the best game ever.

Zhukov:

Not worthy of note even by the abysmally low standards of video games.

What is this low standards of video games you speak of?

Assassin Xaero:

WanderingFool:
I would give Homefront an 80, not great *cough*singleplayer*caugh*, but its still fun MP wise.

Assassin Xaero:
It wasn't until you nurfed the online play. Way to go in dumbing it down.

What did they do, exactly?

Probably easiest way to put it...
Prepatch - Like Call of Duty in hardcore mode
Postpatch - Like regular Call of Duty

Originally, people would die after a few bullets, but a lot of people complained. They nurfed the snipers (which were overpowered anyway), but they did something else that nurfed the rest of the guns. Not sure if it is lower damage or increased player health or what, but it isn't like it was prepatch.

Well, that explains why a supposed .50 sniper cant kill in one chest shot...

BoredDragon:
Dude, the game was 4 hours long, packed was stereotypes, and the plot they were so proud of was laughably predictable. So don't worry, it actually deserves less than 71. I was playing Crisis 2 about the same time as Homefront, so its mediocrity was even more obvious when compared to a legitimately fun game.

I don't really care about Homefront. I was just trying to stay nice so people wouldn't hound me for my opinion, or this thread turn into cheap shots at the game. To be fair, I don't like Crysis 2 either.

oookay...get over it THQ lol
and yes, Homefront has a pretty darn good story and premise that gets it in conversation (not THQ mind you, I actually forgot who made/published the game)

but as for the review score...based on the gameplay it IS just average. very average
like Call of Duty except some control issues (bumping into teammates/getting stuck on 'em) really got annoying
but the whole not being a super soldier and fighting as a resistance...that felt good, real good. even small stuff like remote controlling the Goliath (much to my surprise) and launching grenades at soldiers under the Golden Gate Bridge from a helicopter (after meeting up with actual US Soldiers...that was a thrilling sight until the choppas all got shot down) were delightfully fun

löl.....

they clearly dont get this whole "good game" thing

The campaign was laughably shite. But the thing was, it was dressed in a big boy's clothing.
If it was blatantly just very bad that would've been better than what it is; which is something desperately trying to be good and failing, yet still bigging itself up as good.

They got everyone talking about it, sure: One of my friends bought it, and we've all been borrowing it off him to see how awful the campaign is, because we can't do MP: Very 'smartly' of THQ you need a one-off code to play multiplayer... Nice one. The supposed one relatively good part of the game, and I can't even play it tp testify it.

If everyone's talking about how bad it was, it's not like we'll give the sequel a chance unless the reviewers give it a good %90 or over.
Numbers, strangely enough, do give a good insight into the general opinion of a game. 8-10 is usually great-excellent.

Also:

rolandoftheeld:
I love the juxtaposition of "Our goal is always to get a perfect score" and "You can't apply math to art." Numbers aren't important at all! Unless you give us GOOD numbers, that is. Then they're the only thing that matters.

This made me lol. Too true.

I actually agree with Danny, homefront is NOT a 7.

It's more of a 5 if we were to go back to a time when we used the full 1-10 rating.

Captain Pirate:

Numbers, strangely enough, do give a good insight into the general opinion of a game. 8-10 is usually great-excellent.

Disagree with thee, 8-10 nowadays just means the game is Flavor of the month or trendy.

while i agree with ''can't apply math to art'' homefront is NOT! art its a 5 hr on rail shooter with the same old chest high wall and 7 different shade of brown shooter that every other game is now a day and honestly i like it has gotten such low score to me that shows the people are finally getting fed up with fat space marines and MW clones and would like something new so to me it looks like THQ whines about the cash cow has run out of milk and now they gotta be a little innovative

he is right... it should be a 60. i beat it, i played the multiplayer. it wasnt great, it had a lot of bugs, it felt rushed and the story seemed cut short.

Yes, It is, THQ.

And do you know what the first sign is that Homefront 2 is going to be just as mediocre? The publisher being in complete denial that Homefront 1 was mediocre.

Sorry THQ, but you affect your game's review score by making good games, not by asserting that bad or unappealing reviews are simply wrong.

Hungry Donner:
I don't give places like metacritic much consideration but from the reviews I've read Homefront is hardly stellar material.

So wait, you don't give Metacritic (a collection of reviews) consideration, but you do give it to a few random reviews? Reviews that are most likely also on Metacritic? :)

Alrighty then.

Anyway, I love the angle of Bilson's story.

"The numbers don't matter... but in case you're wondering we sold a million copies. Because of marketing."

XD

I only agree with one thing: Homefront is NOT a 71. It's like a 50. Firstly, they didn't ship enough of the promised preorder items to Best Buy, so even though my sotre had 30 preorders, there was only ONE headset. Then, after beating single player in 4.5 hours, for 10 days I only got multiplayer working one time out of hundreds of attempts. The overarching story of single-player was cool, but the incidentals were trite. I wanted to know more about the macro universe, but the only way to know more other than watching the opening cutscene (which was available free on youtube 3 months before release) was to find newspapers scattered around. Look, without looking super intently but still looking I found 12! WTF, like I'm going to go back and re-play your 4.5 hour game 8 times to flesh out your story. Ugh. Homefront FTL

It's become a predictable cycle these days. Dev releases mediocre to bad game. Dev or publisher whines about how the media is biased or wasn't fair or didn't understand it.

CRY MORE.

Well, TBH, if they didn't want such a "Meh, it's okay" review, then maybe they should've tried a little bloody harder to make a better game, eh?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here