Moon Director In Running to Take Over Wolverine Movie

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Moon Director In Running to Take Over Wolverine Movie

The up and coming director thinks that Wolverine is a more interesting character than Batman.

Duncan Jones, the director behind Moon and the latest Jake Gyllenhalape˝o movie, Source Code, will soon start talks with Fox about taking over from Darren Aronofsky in the follow up to X-Men Origins: Wolverine, titled simply, The Wolverine.

Aronofsky walked away from the project last month after deciding that he didn't want to spend so much time away from his family. Aronofsky said that he was sad that he wasn't seeing the project through, and that he wouldn't get the chance to work with star Hugh Jackman again. Fox also expressed its disappointment, but said that it and Jackman were still committed to the movie, and would regroup and move forward.

Speaking at the Kapow Convention in London last weekend, Jones said that he found the character of Wolverine "more interesting than Batman" and said that a really good movie about the character could be amazing. Jones thought that it was the character's personality that made him so appealing, "[He's] a little like Harrison Ford in the Indiana Jones days. He's got a sense of humor and he's gruff, and he's kind of pissed off at everyone."

Jones is a very different director to Aronofsky, but he wouldn't be a bad replacement at all. It will be fascinating to see how Jones handled a character like Wolverine, just as it would have been fascinating to see how Aronofosky would have handled him. Obviously, this is far from being confirmed - this is the very earliest of early stages - but there's plenty to like about the idea.

Source: Empire Online and IGN

In all fairness, it's not very hard to be more interesting that Batman as far as character is concerned.

YES! I will actually look forward to a movie about Marvel's whore--er, Wolverine if Duncan Jones were at the helm. Moon was awesome, to say the least.

Well it can't be much worse than Origins?

Right...?

I never heard of Moon until now, So when I clicked on this thread, I thought they were talking about the New Moon Director. Needless to say I am quite relieved!

I find Aronofsky's excuse a bit suspect..

Director's just don't up and leave a project because they decide that they are missing their family after all, that's job neglect and grounds for dismisal in every occupation on the face of the earth.... these projects are all timed. It's expected that the director will be away for a certain amount of time, it's his job. He knew exactly how long he'd be away in the first place. To use that as an excuse is highly unprofessional, something else is going on ESPECIALLY as Fox seem to be so very, again suspiciously, accomodating about the whole thing with the fact that it's costing them money.. Don't get me wrong, I don't give a shit either way about a Wolverine movies, imo he's the most overhyped comic character in comic history and that's saying something. I just find the whole situation very unsual and more than a bit iffy.

Get the guy who did the music for Moon too. Or just use the music from Moon. And set it in space, with Wolverine dealing with the troubles of being removed from all other human contact. And give him a robot friend who proves to be more human than anyone else on the planet.

I would love that film.

I think I'll go and watch Moon again.

Dragonforce525:

Right...?

I don't think anything could be...

Woodsey:
Get the guy who did the music for Moon too. Or just use the music from Moon. And set it in space, with Wolverine dealing with the troubles of being removed from all other human contact. And give him a robot friend who proves to be more human than anyone else on the planet.

I would love that film.

I think I'll go and watch Moon again.

Clint Mansell! He did the music for all of Aronofskys films and is amazing.

Also I am totally for this, the guy is an awesome director

OT: Just to keep this from being a low content post, that kind of direction would be a perfect match for Wolverine

Moon was an amazing film. It reminds me of the days when Science Ficiton had a very healthy dose of philosphy applied to it. If he can capture that in a wolverine movie (somehow) I would be very excited.

If I was him, I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole - Moon was one of the freshest sci-fi films in years and I wouldn't waste his talent on such a worn out premise for a film.

Oooh I love Moon! Zowie Bowie is an excellent choice (Yes, that is Duncan Jones real name)

"Can't spend more time away from family"
Something tells me his wife put her foot down.

Anyways, the other guy did a great job on moon so if can repeat that I will be happy.

Nerf Ninja:
Oooh I love Moon! Zowie Bowie is an excellent choice (Yes, that is Duncan Jones real name)

Actually, I think the latter is his real name. David Bowie's original name was David Jones but he ditched it because of the Monkeys.
Either way, he would be good for either super hero franchise.

Duncan Jones NOOOOOOO! Think about your artistic integrity! This is WOLVERINE we're talking about!

mindlesspuppet:

Dragonforce525:

Right...?

I don't think anything could be...

This reminds me of the "I could care less" phrase. Origins was a good film.

Ekonk:
Duncan Jones NOOOOOOO! Think about your artistic integrity! This is WOLVERINE we're talking about!

lol had a similar thought

Moon was so ...cerebro

Dragonforce525:

Right...?

Wait, what? That movie was pretty awesome.

On Topic. Moon was amazing, so I'm up for anything from anyone involved in it.

DTWolfwood:

Ekonk:

lol had a similar thought

Moon was so ...cerebro

Well played.

I'd still hate to see him wasting his talent on the tired overcomplicated mess that is the Marvel universe.

Awesome.
Moon was a great movie, and if Jones does end up Directing it, it'll almost certainly turn out well.

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

Dragonforce525:

Right...?

If I were standing in front of you, good sir, I would throw a chocolate cream pie in your face. The kind WITHOUT strawberries. That way you'll know I mean business.

If this movie was directed by a deaf monkey, it would STILL be hard pressed to be worse than Origins.

Origins was just... it was just... *shivers* ...somebody hold me! *sobs*

It would be intresting to see what he does with the character. It cant be as bad as Origins tho still one of the worst films i've ever seen.

The.Bard:

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

Dragonforce525:

Right...?

If I were standing in front of you, good sir, I would throw a chocolate cream pie in your face. The kind WITHOUT strawberries. That way you'll know I mean business.

If this movie was directed by a deaf monkey, it would STILL be hard pressed to be worse than Origins.

Origins was just... it was just... *shivers* ...somebody hold me! *sobs*

Explain to me why you thought it was bad. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

Dragonforce525:

Right...?

On Topic. Moon was amazing, so I'm up for anything from anyone involved in it.

What most people hated was that they had all these awesome characters from the comics and annihilated them, the main ones being "Deadpool" and Gambit, I say "Deadpool" because we never actually see him as Deadpool, we see him as Wade and then they try to pass off that bald thing as Deadpool, and all the others get about 2 minutes of trailer bait and are either killed off or never seen again.

The movie on it's own would probably hold up quite well, but I can't help but feel like I was tricked into watching it, because I was really only watching it for Deadpool and Gambit, I know Wolverine is supposed to be the poster boy, but he's headlined all 3 X-men movies and I quite frankly was bored of him by the time Origins showed it's face.

Given my opinion on Moon and the last Wolverine movie, this sort of seems to me like a Mozart taking over concert direction from Britney Spears or whatever pop music star we're hating on justifiably today.

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

*sigh*

I don't suppose you'd be willing to sign off a waiver agreeing to pay for all of the psychiatric therapy I'm gonna need after revisiting this film, would you??

... I thought not.

Ok, let's revisit Pain Lane. Please note, the use of spoilers here are not so much to prevent me ruining the end of the film as much as they are to protect the people who haven't seen Origins from experiencing it. Even thirdhand descriptions can cause intense pain and sorrow... Please don't click the Spoiler. For all that is holy and good in this world, I beg you.... Do. Not. Click. The. Spoiler.

Also, I suffered severe brain damage as a result of watching Origins, so I am probably forgetting a lot of other really terrible things...

I'm so happy.

Eh, I didn't like moon. This could be because I'm not given to morality and found nothing wrong with the corporation's actions, or it could be because I missed something. Either way, I found the movie to be preachy yet preach nothing.

HankMan:
I never heard of Moon until now, So when I clicked on this thread, I thought they were talking about the New Moon Director. Needless to say I am quite relieved!

I thought they were talking about the actual moon.

Also, love the Gyllenhalape˝o crack.

Are they shooting already? If so switching horses midstream does not bode well for the quality of the movie. Then again xm:o wasn't very good at all so it wont be hard to top.

Sadly all the xmen movies got progressively worse, in that you had to be drunker and drunker to get maximum enjoyment out of them.

[

rembrandtqeinstein:
Are they shooting already? If so switching horses midstream does not bode well for the quality of the movie. Then again xm:o wasn't very good at all so it wont be hard to top.

Sadly all the xmen movies got progressively worse, in that you had to be drunker and drunker to get maximum enjoyment out of them.

No, they have not begun shooting yet.

Also I wanted to elaborate on one of the points contained within the "spoiler" tags above, so click to see what I'd like to say on the matter.

The.Bard:

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

EDIT: Whoops! quoted the wrong person. Fixed.

So the son of David Bowie is directing a superhero movie about Hugh Jackman kicking ass. Well, this should be interesting.

rembrandtqeinstein:

There should be a drinking game to improve said situation, much like the Star Wars drinking game.

Also, I'm not a huge Wolverine buff or anything, but where would this new movie be going? Japan? More of Canada? Fighting Wendigo and the Hulk? Maybe some of you could help me out on the timeline because I thought a lot of that was supposed to happen while he was still with the Weapon X program.

Still, I guess screwing with canon and creating storyline paradoxes isn't beyond Fox's repertoire.

Am I the only one who was extremely dissapointed by Moon? Then again I actually quite enjoyed Origins: Wolverine and X-Men the last stand which everyone else seems to hate... so maybe my judgement is off?

I expected a lot more from Moon and ended up dissapointed. I didn't expect much from Origins and therefore was not dissapointed. Perhaps it all depends on what mindset you go in with.

I doubt the new Wolverine movie will be watched by me at the cinema, probably catch it on DVD at some point instead. Can't say I'm really bothered.

Awesome! I was actually at Kapowcon last weekend and missed that talk. I did get to see him at the end and almost got an autograph. I loved Moon, and would be really interested to see how he'd do Wolverine.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here