New Nintendo Console "Confirmed" for E3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

New Nintendo Console "Confirmed" for E3

Multiple sources have confirmed that Nintendo is showing its new HD console to game publishers and will unveil the system to the public at this year's E3, if not sooner.

Nintendo's long-awaited successor to the Wii is finally on the cusp of being unveiled, according to a Game Informer report, which claims confirmation from "multiple sources" that the new system will be unveiled at this year's E3 and possibly sooner. The new system will boast HD video capabilities, although how it will stand up head-to-head against the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 remains to be seen. The site says it "understands" that Nintendo "is trying to embrace the Western gamer" with the new hardware and thus will likely release it as an all-new brand rather than an overhauled Wii.

Nintendo is apparently showing the new hardware to publishers now in order to give them plenty of time to have games ready for its release in late 2012, a completely different approach than it took with the Wii. "Nintendo is doing this one right," an anonymous source told the site. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii."

In its own report, IGN claims the new unit will be "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360" and will offer backwards-compatibility with current Wii software, suggesting that the current Wii control scheme will also be supported, although it will presumably be significantly evolved.

The only thing certain at this point is that Nintendo needs to do something, and it needs to do it big. After years of dominating the current generation of consoles its sales have slowed dramatically and although a rumored $50 price cut may help counteract that slowdown, new, more capable hardware is Nintendo's only real option if it wants to stay in the fight.

Nintendo, of course, refused to comment on its plans for E3 or anything else, but it did offer a cryptic "stay tuned." Sure sounds like something's up, doesn't it? E3, by the way, runs June 7-9 this year; you might want to keep your eye on it.

The Wee Too?

I guess they need to beef up their gear now that both competitors provide the same capabilities and are much more capable. Or, perhaps, they have a new gimmick planned.

They'd better not push Skyward Sword to this new console. Then again, if they do, that means I have no reason to keep a Wii, which means I can sell it.

somonels:
The Wee Too?

Nah. It'll be the Uss.

I guess they the Wii stopped printing money.

Oooh.

Colour me intrigued.

interesting, I got a wii last year for about 50 (preowned) so it makes sense. I wonder if it'll just be the wii HD? probably not if history is anything to go by?

yes, this is great news. i skipped the wii, if the wii2 has full backwards compatibility to the game cube then i am in at launch. for sure. this is awesome.

This is exciting actually. I mean, the Wii is the indisputable king of this generation, and I say that not based on games (chill your roll till I'm done please), but based on sales and profitability. I don't think people understand that Nintendo makes consoles to sell them and make money. Well, guess who is number one based on the reason why companies exist?

The only thing holding it back as a more valid gaming platform is the generation old graphics and system specs. This also made many developers not push their games to what the system is capable of doing, because there were plenty of great looking games on the Wii that got skipped out on. Now, they could create a system that technically rivals the current generation that is both affordable and profitable. They win again. I can't wait to see what comes of this.

NOT a gimmick?
I'm not sure how to feel about that

Lord Beautiful:
They'd better not push Skyward Sword to this new console. Then again, if they do, that means I have no reason to keep a Wii, which means I can sell it.

somonels:
The Wee Too?

Nah. It'll be the Uss.

That's what I think they are going to do. They've been rather hush-hush on its delay and the Ocarina of Time 3D replaced all the hype for Skyward Sword. Good luck selling a Wii for anything more than a turkey sandwich, though. The second-hand market for them is crazy saturated.

Just watch them call it the Revolution. Watch.

I could give less of a damn about the supposedly superior graphics though. If anything, that just means the first four batches of the thing will be 10x more likely to burst into flames.

GOD.

DAMMIT.

So... Here's my question. When Sony comes out with the PS4 and Microsoft comes out with the Xbox720, what will this mean for the online support of the previous systems? I just got a PS3 and if I have to get the new one just so I can keep up with the online support then I'm swearing off systems altogether and keeping up with my PC rig.

This was bound to happen eventually, I guess, but... Why, nintendo? Your Wii has sold more than any of your other systems. Why stop? I gotta ask.

As long as the new console can play Wii games and GC games or they keep making Wii versions of games to that console I'm happy.

just please nitendo go back to normal conrollers!

Trust Nintendo to get ahead of the curve.

No gimmicks? I might even just be pleased.

Oh yay. Now we can have "Super Mario 12: Revenge of the Chocolate Coated Bullshit".

I'm not getting it unless Nintendo get some new fucking IPs.

vxicepickxv:
I guess they the Wii stopped printing money.

Yeah, the Wii has slowed.

But they just released the 3DS. Which is keeping the cash flow coming.

I wonder what PC hardware will make it on here. Could we see the first console with higher than DX9 graphics capabilities, like Tessellation etc? Might improve port quality, but then again it is rare for Nintendo ports....

nintendo: And the new console to be released... 3DSI! Now with leads which cannot be detached!

Ten bucks says it's Wii3D.

So, will they copy the 360 or Ps3?

I wonder how good it will preform. If it only preforms as good as the PS3 and Xbox 360, then I see no reason to buy it. If it's released 4-5 years after the other HD-consoles, I expect it to have some major improvements.

"[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii."

How the fuck was the Wii a gimmick?

Also I am interested but at the same time put off, if it is a super powerful system that means games will be expensive to make and devs will have less room for creativity as they could sell at a loss much easier...

Interested. I reckon they announce it at E3, and release it late 2012, before Microsoft or Sony can get to launch. The best bit is that the Wii has clear improvements, while I'm not sure current gen technology can improve the other two at the moment. I think Nintendo may do it again...

Backwards compatibility is a must.

Lord Beautiful:

somonels:
The Wee Too?

Nah. It'll be the Uss.

Silly, It will be called the Wii-Wii.

About time Nintendo launches a new console with technological heft to it. As much as I love Nintendo games, and even though Nintendo makes games that look fabulous (Mario Galaxy, here's a nod to you) and play like a dream, I would certainly love to see games that look as great as Portal 2 or even Oblivion (minus the NPCs) grace Nintendo's hardware.

Mustcontainfanboyoutburst...notworking...fanboyoutburstabouttoblow.

DO WANT!!!!!!!!!!!1111111!!!!!OMGZ!!!!!!

I can only imagine what it'll be, but (squeeeeeeeeee). New Nintendo console!!!!

"significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360"

Mario's nose is growing...
I'll believe it when I see it.

I must admit I find this quite surprising, wasn't expecting a new console any time soon!

YES, now the others have to follow suit sooner or later and I won't have to endure 4 more years of games with crappy graphics and small levels xD

More powerful than the 360 and PS3?

Could we expect, say, CryEngine 2/3 on the platform? That's something I'd be interested in.

Andy Chalk:

"Nintendo is doing this one right," an anonymous source told the site. "[It's] not a gimmick like the Wii."

---

In its own report, IGN claims the new unit will be "significantly more powerful than the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360" and will offer backwards-compatibility with current Wii software, suggesting that the current Wii control scheme will also be supported, although it will presumably be significantly evolved.

I found the motion control to be the biggest gimmick (a view I share with many others). Not all of the Wii titles were bad or gimmicky though. Donkey Kong is my favorite Wii-game and that hardly uses the motion controls if you don't want it too. I've heard similar comments about Kirby's Epic Yarn. As for Mario Kart Wii and, SSBB, You can use gamecube controllers for those, in both cases I've found I have more control over what I'm doing.

While it sounds promising, the fact that the next console will be backwards compatable has me scratching my head over the control scheme since a majority of the wii games I've seen require you to use either the wii-mote or the wii-mote/ nunchuck combo.

Nintendo seems to have always been like that with peripherals though so I hope the next console comes packed with a standard controller. HD graphics don't matter too much to me at this point.

Verlander:
Interested. I reckon they announce it at E3, and release it late 2012, before Microsoft or Sony can get to launch.

What, before 2005? Even if this is true (which it probably isn't, given how this rumour pops up every single year), this is Nintendo joining the current generation, not starting a new one.

Which means Nintendo is launching a new console 5 years after the release of the old ones for a much higher price, with a lower install base.

Who wants to bet this new console is to the Wii as the Xbox slim was to the Xbox

I doubt it's really the next big generation, probably just an upgrade.

That said, I don't really care anyway, Nintendo is going to have to do something BIG to get my trust back after the Wii, it's like I've been saying for years, they fucked over their stable fanbase for a quick cash in, and now it's starting to hurt them long run.

Well, it's not exactly unexpected but good news either way. I seriously doubt it will be stronger than its competitors and it will probably still keep its gimmics, just with more hardcore options. Looking forward to this year's E3, but I always do that anyway.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here