BioWare Auctioning Off Exclusive Goods for Japan Relief

Pages 1 2 NEXT

BioWare Auctioning Off Exclusive Goods for Japan Relief

BioWare has put signed hoodies and custom consoles on eBay to raise money for Japan.

Japan was hit hard by an earthquake in mid-March, but the country thankfully isn't without supporters trying to raise money to help bring it back to normalcy. Companies such as Sony Online Entertainment, NCSoft, and Valve have done their part, and now it's BioWare's turn.

BioWare has put 4 custom game consoles and 10 hoodies on eBay to raise money for the Red Cross to help Japan. The 14 auctions will expire on April 19.

The hoodies are the Commander Shepard full zip hoody whose hoods can be zipped to make you feel like the Mass Effect star himself. There are two PlayStation 3s and two Xbox 360s available, each sporting a custom Dragon Age II paint job.

All 4 consoles are signed by BioWare founders Greg Zeschuk and Ray Muzyka, while the hoodies are signed by the Mass Effect team. If you'd like to help out, the auctions can be found here.

Source: Joystiq

"I'm Commander Sheppard and this is my favorite hoody on the Citadel!"

HankMan:

... besides that, I also imagine all the grimaces on peoples faces when they see its a Dragon Age II paint job on those consoles. Hopefully they will find wealthy owners who will support Japan though!

Dragon Age 2 paint job? Well it is for charity....

They've hardly pushed the boat out have they, I mean it's not exactly premium stuff.

4 consoles they'd have trouble getting rid of anyway and 10 hoodies of the type that you NEVER actually see anyone wearing.

If they're lucky they'll raise maybe $3000, exactly what is that meant to accomplish except a headline grab?

pretty cool =)
hopefully there are constant charites all throughout the year

That Hoody looks nice. If a bit OTT.

Though I'd rather have this T-Shirt:

That is a truly unfortunate piece of apparel. The standard hoody is almost stylish. With the stripe it's subtle enough that only people who've played the game would remark it. The full version would be the equivalent of wearing my 8 year-old Darth Vader costume with full plastic chest plate out on the street.

Spangles:
They've hardly pushed the boat out have they, I mean it's not exactly premium stuff.

4 consoles they'd have trouble getting rid of anyway and 10 hoodies of the type that you NEVER actually see anyone wearing.

If they're lucky they'll raise maybe $3000, exactly what is that meant to accomplish except a headline grab?

Really... Im almost left speechless... And to compare this with NCsoft and SOE, good god.

Why don't they give their own fucking money? It's not like they don't have enough of it.

Spangles:
10 hoodies of the type that you NEVER actually see anyone wearing.

Id wear it but then id need to be a fan of bioware since there games are only meh to me minus KOTOR.

HankMan:

Hehehe :D

Anyone else think the consoles would sell better if they had the sign of something other than Dragon Age 2? I get it's their newest property, but kinda not the favourite one.

Also, any higher resolution pictures? Those things are tiny and you can't really see what they look like at all :\

Someone I know knows a guy at Bioware, so she had one of those hoodies. And I have to say, they're just as badass in person. Plus you can see through those eye things.

Are they going to give us Mass Effect 2 free with these as well?

thenumberthirteen:
That Hoody looks nice. If a bit OTT.

Though I'd rather have this T-Shirt:

Wait... that shirt actually exists!? I'll take eight!

Spangles:

Especially since they're only shipping to the US. This is looking less and less like a gesture of goodwill and more like a carefully calculated PR ploy. I mean, this'll cost them what, $1000, at most? Hardly the $6.3 million and $3.6 million NCSoft and SOE donated, now is it?

I seem to be the only one to say this, but that hoodie is probably the most awesome thing I've seen in a while, and moreover it'll be infinitely useful when I'll go snowboarding next season. The only thing holding me back is that I already spent 120€ in a Guitar Hero 5 Superbundle last week, so I'll probably wait a little (NOFX's playing here in a couple days too, and I don't wanna get crazy with the spending), but no doubt I'm gonna grab it. From the store, of course, since I don't live in the US and besides, I don't have neither disposable income nor use for a signed sweater.

Stiffkittin:
The standard hoody is almost stylish. With the stripe it's subtle enough that only people who've played the game would remark it.

Believe me when I say nobody will ever have a fucking clue what the hoodie is from in my city or surroundings. It WILL look flamboyant, mind you, but looking like a fanboy isn't my primary concern.

To all the naysayers, I think it's awfully rude that you even criticize them for donating anything. You get some cool gear and the money goes to a good cause. Maybe they saw an opportunity to get sell some of their harder to sell items but I really don't think that matters. They aren't obligated to donate a penny in the first place. The companies that donated the most were the ones with employees and offices in Japan so why don't we criticize them for being selfish and wanting their local operations to return to normal ASAP? I think we should take it for what it is; a gesture of good will and the chance to get some sweet gear. Boy do I want the armor hoodie. Might be weird in the US, but I could get away with wearing that in Japan.

tekdeath:
To all the naysayers, I think it's awfully rude that you even criticize them for donating anything. You get some cool gear and the money goes to a good cause. Maybe they saw an opportunity to get sell some of their harder to sell items but I really don't think that matters. They aren't obligated to donate a penny in the first place. The companies that donated the most were the ones with employees and offices in Japan so why don't we criticize them for being selfish and wanting their local operations to return to normal ASAP? I think we should take it for what it is; a gesture of good will and the chance to get some sweet gear. Boy do I want the armor hoodie. Might be weird in the US, but I could get away with wearing that in Japan.

RUDE?

I can't work out if you are being stupid, or just plain naive.

This is an insult at best. Second rate shoddy crap that no one in their right mind would buy ordinarily.. AND the fact that it's supposed to be US that makes the actual donation.. what's Bioware's contribution, huh? a few seconds with a sharpie and some crap they have kicking around the office, than in the end will make an such utterly inconsequential amount that it basically amounts to nothing at all.

This is nothing but a headline grab. Quite frankly they would have been better keeping their nose out of this particular ring if this is their best action... They're not even willing to stump up a few dollars more in order to ship the stuff world wide.

It's nothing more than yet another nail in the reputation of a formerly well regarded development house. With all of the SUPPOSEDLY intelligent people they have working for them, what idiot thought that this was a good idea?

What moron thought up this ill concieved 'contribution', that EVEN IF IT WAS AS WELL REGARDED AS THEY WOULD HAVE HOPED, would have succeeded at ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except be a PR coup for them.

Charity is obviously the last thing on their mind.

Spangles:

RUDE?

This is an insult at best. Second rate shoddy crap that no one in their right mind would buy ordinarily.. AND the fact that it's supposed to be US that makes the actual donation.. what's Bioware's contribution, huh? a few seconds with a sharpie and some crap they have kicking around the office, than in the end will make an such utterly inconsequential amount that it basically amounts to nothing at all.

This is nothing but a headline grab. Quite frankly they would have been better keeping their nose out of this particular ring if this is their best action... They're not even willing to stump up a few dollars more in order to ship the stuff world wide.

It's nothing more than yet another nail in the reputation of a formerly well regarded development house. With all of the SUPPOSEDLY intelligent people they have working for them, what idiot thought that this was a good idea?

What moron thought up this ill concieved 'contribution', that EVEN IF IT WAS AS WELL REGARDED AS THEY WOULD HAVE HOPED, would have succeeded at ABSOLUTELY NOTHING except be a PR coup for them.

PR or not, if the money goes where they say it goes, I ain't complaining. It's a chance for them to get rid of some product that might not be the best selling and it'll help my friends (once the Japanese government figures out how to allocate the money, but that is another issue). As part of the US-Japan council in Miami, we recently raised $4500 to be directly sent to our sister city, Kagoshima, to make sure the aid gets directly distributed. Are we just taking advantage of the situation to looks good in the eyes of the city of Miami or Kagoshima? I would definitely say that is not our primary concern, but it definitely looks good, doing our "global civic duty". What have you donated?

meh i must be weird..i think that hoodie is but fucking ugly, but still, donations are for good causes i suppose..

too bad i just spent my entire past two paychecks on summer classes..

still, contributions are contributions.. man there are some people in here who just love to hate? regardless of how big or small it is, i dont see the point of giving them negative backlash over it.

tekdeath:

Spangles:

RUDE?

PR or not, if the money goes where they say it goes, I ain't complaining. It's a chance for them to get rid of some product that might not be the best selling and it'll help my friends (once the Japanese government figures out how to allocate the money, but that is another issue). As part of the US-Japan council in Miami, we recently raised $4500 to be directly sent to our sister city, Kagoshima, to make sure the aid gets directly distributed. Are we just taking advantage of the situation to looks good in the eyes of the city of Miami or Kagoshima? I would definitely say that is not our primary concern, but it definitely looks good, doing our "global civic duty". What have you donated?

Exactly what money are we talking about here?

The $3000 at most they'll raise? (or rather WE'LL raise)... you're having a laugh aren't you?

A multi million dollar company advertises the fact that they're too cheap to be the actual ones who put their hand in their pocket and YOU want to applaud them for it?..

Actually it's me who's doing the laughing.

Goddammit Bioware, you just went full retard.

Did that auction thingy you did last year not teach you anything? HALF YOUR EVERFUCKING FANBASE IS IN OTHER COUNTRIES!

I mean hell, signed ME hoody, I'd never wear the damn thing but it's for a good cause and it's not something I'd have the opportunity to pick up on a regular basis. E-bay is a global company! You don't even have the nebulous excuse of licensing issues this time!

Edit: I spoke before I searched. From the official forums:

IMPORTANT UPDATE
These auctions are available to everyone! No matter where you live, no matter which country, we will ship the prize to the highest winning bid. When we set up the auction, we accidentally left the setting as "US shipping only". THIS IS NOT CORRECT. We will ship to any country to whomever wins teh auction, for all available prizes.

Forgive for we are eBay n00bs.

Effectiveness aside, I'm bidding. It's does more than sitting on the internet complaining.

Using a disaster to get what basically amounts to free advertising? Not good Bioware. Sure, the money is going to a good cause and all, but it doesn't look like Bioware is the one that is paying, it reeks of exploitation. Hopefully they'll correct this and donate some of their own money.

As awesome as that hoody is, I will save my money for when they offer something awesome. Highest bidder gets to pick a plot twist or character death for ME3 as long as it is not canon breaking.
You give me the option to throw a bit of a mindfuck into the story and have the writers pissed off at how to work it in and I will happily pay for that.

Spangles:

tekdeath:

RUDE?

I care more about the end result than the motive tbh, I'm awaiting my hoody right now.
Also Valve's charity thing wasn't that bad either...you have to admit they did do it pretty well (even though you clearly disagree)

Tom Goldman:
snip

So... why doesn't Bungie get a mention here?

Yep, their money-raising wristbands were at one point one of the most popular things on Amazon.

Good article though. But seriously... 14 items? To quote Zaeed, is that all you've got? Surely you could do much more to help those poor victims.

NCsoft donated their money, not sold stuff for it.

Food for thought.

Wabblefish:

Spangles:

tekdeath:

RUDE?

I care more about the end result than the motive tbh, I'm awaiting my hoody right now.
Also Valve's charity thing wasn't that bad either...you have to admit they did do it pretty well (even though you clearly disagree)

Don't put words into my mouth.

Valve made an effort in their own way, they didn't actually contibute themselves (I don't think).. but they introduced an ingame system in which ANYONE, FROM ANY COUNTRY could give a little or a lot and they got an in game hat too...

On valves behalf that took the organisation of the fundraisings and it took someone time and effort to actually sit down and create the hats in the first place. No, Valve didn't actually give physical stuff or real money, but they allowed their very popular gameplatform to get the message out and to assist in raising a fair amount of money... half a millon at last count, I think.

It took Valve time and organisation... It took Bioware a quick scout round the office and a few seconds with a sharpie... and their lack of effort shows.. a few grand and a headline grab.

I don't wish to be understood in this matter.. I would have had no bad feelings (over this matter) should Bioware have chosen to stay out of this particular arena... but when they DO decide to say "Yeah, me too".. and this is the crap they pull...screw them.

IMPORTANT UPDATE
These auctions are available to everyone! No matter where you live, no matter which country, we will ship the prize to the highest winning bid. When we set up the auction, we accidentally left the setting as "US shipping only". THIS IS NOT CORRECT. We will ship to any country to whomever wins teh auction, for all available prizes.

I call BS on this too... they got called on it and are backpedaling.... they've been doing a lot of this recently.

Spangles:

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I call BS on this too... they got called on it and are backpedaling.... they've been doing a lot of this recently.

I don't know why you have to be so negative on this. From what I can tell, you haven't done anything for Japan's current situation. I find it funny how people detached from the problem can sit back and criticize as if they know best. Until you do more than Bioware for Japan, you have no room to complain. Hey, they figured it out quick, good for them. Now everyone can get a chance at some limited edition gear and help a good cause. Are you gonna help, or are you just going to keep sitting on your high horse?

Also, why defend Valve? Is it because they raised more money. Besides that fact, they did the same thing Bioware did; made the community pay for silly hats that have no in-game effects or anything, purely aesthetic. Wasn't one of the hats like $100? At least if you buy the signed PS3 you can play TF2 with their hats AND other games and movies, and surf the web. PR or not, the Japanese people will be just as happy to receive any kind of aid, regardless of how much or who it is from (even the Yakuza chipped in extensively, but one of the main families has a large network in Sendai so it was in their best interest).

tekdeath:

Spangles:

IMPORTANT UPDATE

I don't know why you have to be so negative on this. From what I can tell, you haven't done anything for Japan's current situation. I find it funny how people detached from the problem can sit back and criticize as if they know best. Until you do more than Bioware for Japan, you have no room to complain. Hey, they figured it out quick, good for them. Now everyone can get a chance at some limited edition gear and help a good cause. Are you gonna help, or are you just going to keep sitting on your high horse?

Also, why defend Valve? Is it because they raised more money. Besides that fact, they did the same thing Bioware did; made the community pay for silly hats that have no in-game effects or anything, purely aesthetic. Wasn't one of the hats like $100? At least if you buy the signed PS3 you can play TF2 with their hats AND other games and movies, and surf the web. PR or not, the Japanese people will be just as happy to receive any kind of aid, regardless of how much or who it is from (even the Yakuza chipped in extensively, but one of the main families has a large network in Sendai so it was in their best interest).

How dare you make baseless accusations and assumptions.

As charity is done for charity's sake and should not be an issue with which to gather kudo I'm not going to say what I have or haven't done.

However don't you think it's a possibility that my ire over such headline grab being made over some paultry actions is based on knowledge of what CAN be done by anyone?

John Marcone:
As awesome as that hoody is, I will save my money for when they offer something awesome. Highest bidder gets to pick a plot twist or character death for ME3 as long as it is not canon breaking.
You give me the option to throw a bit of a mindfuck into the story and have the writers pissed off at how to work it in and I will happily pay for that.

If they did that they would have gained A LOT of money for charity.

Spangles:

How dare you make baseless accusations and assumptions.

As charity is done for charity's sake and should not be an issue with which to gather kudo I'm not going to say what I have or haven't done.

However don't you think it's a possibility that my ire over such headline grab being made over some paultry actions is based on knowledge of what CAN be done by anyone?

From the sounds of it, you haven't done much to help. Philanthropy is NEVER done just for philanthropy's sake. People may rationalize that they are doing it from the sheer good in their heart, but they either do it to make themselves feel better or as a tax write-off. I donated because I have friends who live there and it makes me feel good that I am helping them in some way to rebuild the infrastructure in their city.

It's also hardly a headline grab. Outside of the gaming community, most people don't know what Valve, or Bungie, or Bioware have done. They are like dozens of other organizations donating for a swipe at some PR and, hopefully, boosted sales in what is soon to be the slow summer season. Nintendo and Sony got a mention in the news on NHK but that's because they donated so much and are Japanese based companies (even then, it was a pretty quick mention).

If you think you can do so much better than Bioware, do it. Once you've bested them, then you have all the right to look down on them. It's like politics; you can't complain about the outcome if you didn't vote.

I was going to say. It couldn't possibly be their soul, they sold that to EA.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here