THQ Boss Challenges $60 Price Point

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reallink:
would you buy a book that wasn't edited and was missing chapters with a promise they would fix it later? What if it doesn't sell well, and they decide it's not worth making DLC for?

Ay, there's the rub.

Greg Tito:
What do you guys think? Are microtransactions like what Farrell is proposing for MX vs. ATV: Alive the future of console games?

While I like the idea of making the game cheaper, this does carry with it the possiblity of abuse. If the extra content is largely optional, than it would not be a problem. But if developers just take most of the conetent and make it DLC... like Capcom... than it doesnt matter iof its cheaper, they will gouge money out of gamers.

DonJavo:
This has the potential to be good, and if implemented correctly, it can be a good leap in innovation. The question comes up as to what should be offered for the $40? Are you given just the multi-player and then asked to buy the single player, or vise versa? Are both options given at the $40, but only on a very basic level, and so you buy what you want from there? Is the game actually complete in its offering of both multi and single player and if you want more of one type over the other you just buy it?

This can either be a great way to customize the player experience while still generating a profit (maybe even a bigger profit) while not ripping off the player from having a complete gaming experience, but it can just be another form of price gouging. We will have to wait and see. Still, it sounds like an idea I could get behind.

Actually... this was basically what I was saying... so ninja'd... damn...

dlc annoys me in general and I almost never buy it on the console since Im stuck with the crappy 20 gig hd and a 100gig one costs a hundred bucks which is so over priced it make my head spin

This was almost exactly what the Extra Credits team suggested the industry ought to do in future. Make games more accessible with a lower price point and use add on income to supplement things like DLC addon content, MP gaming and custom content. This also allows gaming developers to stretch the period a game can generate revenue from that critical opening week or month to a multi month income strategy.

Art Axiv:

Jaranja:

Art Axiv:
I wish there wouldn't be DLC.

So you want continual updates for free? Not going to happen.

I'm a perfectionist, I'd like my products completed and bug-free.

They are completed...

DLC is extra content.

Jacob.pederson:

Jaranja:

Art Axiv:

That's funny, so all my free campaigns for Left for Dead must have occurred in my imagination then? ;)

Left 4 Dead was hardly a full game when it was released.

Iron Lightning:

Jaranja:

Art Axiv:

Why not? Nexon's line of free-to-play games have been getting new content on a near monthly basis for no money at all.

Aren't they all MMOs?

IamGamer41:

Jaranja:

Art Axiv:

maybe he wants a solid game and not have to have the DLC to finish the story or get the best cars.

Besides thats a crappy game so I can see why he would try it on that.40 bucks to buy it then 5 bucks here for some new bikes, 10 bucks here for 5 new maps another 5 bucks for even more new bikes.And what do you know??? they got their 60$ out of you anyway.Just may have took them 1 month or two longer.

That's the point...

You buy what you want added to the game.

Video Games spent most of the 3 previous generations at a price point of 50 bucks, which is a bit more standard than most mediums.

Price of everything is supposed to go up.

Now, of course, I also hold the 50$ (an the 60$ game for that matter) as a game that I will be playing 5 years later.

Jaranja:

Iron Lightning:

Jaranja:

Why not? Nexon's line of free-to-play games have been getting new content on a near monthly basis for no money at all.

Aren't they all MMOs?

Yes they are. My point still stands.

Jaranja:

Art Axiv:

Jaranja:

They are completed...

DLC is extra content.

Not in the proposed model I'm afraid. Currently, what you said is true though.

I think I like what World at War had, free updates that were sponsored by a company that they showed an image of every loading screen.

Mass Effect 2 was the biggest runner up with that, good solid DLC for a mostly fair price and then guns or whatever you could chose to buy.

The worst by far is Call of Duty, 15 dollars for 4 maps? I can buy full games for that price.

Iron Lightning:

Jaranja:

Iron Lightning:

Aren't they all MMOs?

MMOs have a much greater opportunity to make money from other means and most of the F2P ones still have DLC. Those stores are what I'm talking about.

Art Axiv:
Imagine Guildwars with a cash-shop in it, this is how I see it. Bad, is rather politely said.

There's already an ingame shop in Guild Wars, but most of the content is completely optional, even the expansions. As many mmos, most of the content is frivolous, from changing your name and your character appearance, to the completely optional and unnecessary, but cool, like extra character slots, more space in your Xunlai chest and even the newest mercenaries addition, wich is completely optional and even some may call it frivolous, but really cool if you buy it.

I think that's what they're looking for when they say they want you to "customize" your game. Just like in Guild Wars, you can choose to buy whatever you want, without forcing it to you. I bought the Trilogy edition with the Eye of The North expansion and since then, I haven't spent a single dime buying something from the game and I still don't have the urge (and money) to buy something from the game. The game is massive as it is, but granted, it's an mmo (yes, I call it an mmo, shut up) and not a racing game or an fps.

As you say, I just hope that their games have the amount of quality to justify not buying a single thing from the ingame shop, even without forcing it to you and I, too, hope that the DLC they'll release will have the amount of quality to justify their purchase.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that THQ won't screw with it, as I really like the idea.

SupahGamuh:

Art Axiv:
Imagine Guildwars with a cash-shop in it, this is how I see it. Bad, is rather politely said.

There's already an ingame shop in Guild Wars, but most of the content is completely optional, even the expansions. As many mmos, most of the content is frivolous, from changing your name and your character appearance, to the completely optional and unnecessary, but cool, like extra character slots, more space in your Xunlai chest and even the newest mercenaries addition, wich is completely optional and even some may call it frivolous, but really cool if you buy it.

I think that's what they're looking for when they say they want you to "customize" your game. Just like in Guild Wars, you can choose to buy whatever you want, without forcing it to you. I bought the Trilogy edition with the Eye of The North expansion and since then, I haven't spent a single dime buying something from the game and I still don't have the urge (and money) to buy something from the game. The game is massive as it is, but granted, it's an mmo (yes, I call it an mmo, shut up) and not a racing game or an fps.

As you say, I just hope that their games have the amount of quality to justify not buying a single thing from the ingame shop, even without forcing it to you and I, too, hope that the DLC they'll release will have the amount of quality to justify their purchase.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that THQ won't screw with it, as I really like the idea.

Back in the day I played Guildwars there wasn't an in-game shop, or at least to my knowledge. I also join in and hope that the quality of games won't go lower and lower.

Art Axiv:

Braedan:

Art Axiv:

I believe you need to find a new hobby then... there never has, and never will be a Bug-free game. At least, until we make computers powerful enough to design their own games....

I put bugs in three categories: The ones that break the game, the ones you can't see unless you really look for them and the funny ones. I can live with the latter ones, but the first type just does it for me.

I'd put them in 4 catagories.

The game breaking: The one's that seriously fuck up your shit and seriously effect core gameplay. Such as checkpoint erases. Glitches that stop you from finishing a game and serious balancing issues for MP.

The annoying: The one's that don't break a game, but are glaringly obvious. Thing's like faulty textures or broken animations, buggy AI etc.

The inconsequential: The one's that don't matter a lick and are often very hard to find. Like using the wrong bit of code or forgetting a piece of geometry on some inconspicuous object. The stuff geeks spend time looking for.

The happy accidents: Self explanatory. Like that old bug in TF2 that skinned enemies as friends and eventually lead to them adding in the 'Spy' class. Or the flying bird people, cougarman and donkeylady from Red Dead Redemption.

In the end, we're going to end up spending more money on the same amount of content. Anyone who thinks this will be a money saving venture is sorely mistaken. Companies like having more money.

Jaranja:

Iron Lightning:

Jaranja:

Aren't they all MMOs?

MMOs have a much greater opportunity to make money from other means and most of the F2P ones still have DLC. Those stores are what I'm talking about.

They still provide continual updates for free. I haven't played most of Nexon's library but I know that the cash shops in Vindictus only sell cosmetic items and useful but unnecessary items (such as self-revives that functionally only save you time if you mess up in a dungeon.) The meat and potatoes of the game: the dungeons, the towns, the npcs, the weapons, the armor, and the stat-boosting titles are all completely free and regularly updated.

I know this is hard to believe but, sometimes, there is such a thing as a free lunch (more specifically, whenever someone buys you lunch.)

THIS IS....actually a good idea, ill vote with my wallet by buying this game (even if i dont like the game itself)

i like this idea, have to see how its executed, but i don't see any real issues
( plays F2P MMOs, uses micro transactions, and they work swimmingly)

Really good idea, hell if they did this with Homefront, I wouldve picked it up. Instead I'm waiting till its 30 dollars.

I don't like the sound of this.

It just gives them even more excuse, AND ABILITY, to cut stuff out of the original 'full priced' release in order to sell it to us a bit at a time.

God knows what the original product would look like if ths kind of thinking became the norm.

Nope, don't like it at all.

It doesn't really matter how they phrase this kind of proposition anyway, whenever something comes out of a suits mouth you can bet the only thing on their mind is dollar signs... No matter what is said, it'll NEVER be in our best interests.

RedEyesBlackGamer:

delanofilms:
snip

I've already explained it. I play RPGs almost exclusively. There is no "second part" of a game that I play. So cutting content for DLC would be pointless and greedy. And yes, it is (Shadow Naoto, really). Thanks for noticing.

Aah. Well that's a different situation, since the average JRPG isn't the kind of game that suits itself well to DLC (western ones more or less are, see Borderlands & Fallout), but you surely can't deny that DLC could play a positive role in other genres where it is more appropriate. Imagine a guitar game where some musical licenses just couldn't be obtained until after the launch date and certain songs never saw the light of day for -insert music game here-. It just means that for your range of the games market they may or may not be very appropriate to implement.

Spangles:
I don't like the sound of this.

It just gives them even more excuse, AND ABILITY, to cut stuff out of the original 'full priced' release in order to sell it to us a bit at a time.

God knows what the original product would look like if ths kind of thinking became the norm.

Nope, don't like it at all.

It doesn't really matter how they phrase this kind of proposition anyway, whenever something comes out of a suits mouth you can bet the only thing on their mind is dollar signs... No matter what is said, it'll NEVER be in our best interests.

Valve. Seriously.
They even worked around Microsoft because Microsoft's DLC system wouldn't let them charge as little as they pleased.
It all comes down to implementation, like all else. Just don't trust this method if EA starts doing it.
-Looks back at Extra Credits' "Project Ten Dollar episode-
SHIT!

Harry Mason:
In the end, we're going to end up spending more money on the same amount of content. Anyone who thinks this will be a money saving venture is sorely mistaken. Companies like having more money.

Umm, by being able to charge less at retail and having the rest be direct to them, even if the consumer pays the exact same amount "they" still get more because the retailer gets less at market.

Braedan:

Art Axiv:

Jaranja:

I believe you need to find a new hobby then... there never has, and never will be a Bug-free game. At least, until we make computers powerful enough to design their own games....

Well there have been many a game that is game breaking bug free, and I think that is what he wants. And if that is the case, I support your goal good sir.

OT: I support this measure. I would by a new game for half its price now and help the company rather than not help and get it for the same price used.

I don't think this would work into EA's plans of charging $10 for multiplayer.

I do, however, think it's a great idea!

instead of selling the game for 60$ they're going to sell it for $40 and have $700 worth of DLC good stuff.

standokan:
Quality games for low prices, sounds to good to be true.

It will be. You'll continually get less and less for higher and higher prices.

Just look at other industries in the US. They give you less product with more marketing and slowly crank up the price while driving down the value.

Genius really.

My thought is simply that the industry wants to go with microtransactions based on the philsophy that it's easier to get more money out of people if they spend it over a period of time, rather than in a single lump sum. Given the influx of the the lowest human denominator into gaming, I can see where the idea has it's appeal.

I of course oppose it, because I realize that no matter how they present it, it means me paying more for my games.

Simply put though, unless people stop it by not buying games using this kind of a gimmick (no organized boycott, just stop supporting this kind of DLC and microtransaction nonsense) the industry is going to go ahead with it due to the money being made. Simply put they are going to push, and gouge, for every penny they can get until we can't take anymore and/or
the industry collapses.

For single player games, it's a great model. Why pay $60 when you can get all you want from $40 and maybe an extra $5 DLC later?

For multiplayer, not so much. Take Rock Band for example.

--
-SirDoom joins the game-

GuitarProDude978: "Dude, how many DLC songs you got?"

SirDoom- At the moment, only a handful, but-

-SirDoom has been booted from the lobby-
---

Not a good experience for those who spend little to nothing on the extra content.

IamGamer41:

Jaranja:

Art Axiv:

maybe he wants a solid game and not have to have the DLC to finish the story or get the best cars.

Besides thats a crappy game so I can see why he would try it on that.40 bucks to buy it then 5 bucks here for some new bikes, 10 bucks here for 5 new maps another 5 bucks for even more new bikes.And what do you know??? they got their 60$ out of you anyway.Just may have took them 1 month or two longer.

I pretty much agree, expansions are a different story, but if I'm getting part of a game and I have to buy more later like some DLCs then it's not improving anything.

we'll see. done right (i.e. a product genuinely equal to or superior in quality to most other $60 games) this could be really good, a classic example of a better product at lower price winning larger volumes and making more money.

That said, i'm not holding my breath. An ATV racing game doesn't strike me as exactly AAA material, and i have a very real fear that they're just knocking off the upfront price in order to nickel-and-dime you to death later. it's gotten so bad now that i normally don't even consider buying a game until a year or three after release when i can get the 'gold edition' bundled with all DLC & patches for 20-30% off the original cost of the base game.

i think the way bad company 2 did it would probably be a better method, except the base game should be $40USD, i very much doubt aus will see much of a price reduction...back to topic.
BC2 had the base game which included a multiplayer with 2 modes, you could buy the full vietnam mode for $15, onslaught for another $5 and special guns for another $5...and you can get your kits filled out for about $3 each (4 kits).

now most who enjoy the multiplayer will get the vietnam and special guns ($20 right there), many of those will get the rest (unless they have self respect, then they will work for the kits), congratz, this game has got good sales and could have had the base for $20USD and still turn a large profit.

Wait, so someone who is better at business or economics explain to me why lowering games to $10 a pop doesn't lead to six times more sales? Game prices seem to have gone through some ridiculous inflation over the past few years if DLC is taken into account. A decade ago, IIRC, most games only cost 30-40 dollars.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here