Computer Built in Minecraft Has RAM, Performs Division

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Computer Built in Minecraft Has RAM, Performs Division

The CPU built with redstone circuitry can load code into its RAM and even print results on a screen.

Last October, I showed you guys a simple CPU that a user named "theinternetftw" created in Minecraft that used torches to ignite redstone wires to add numbers and output that information as binary code. Now, a Minecraft player known as Salaja has created an even more complex machine that is capable of loading 16 lines of code into its RAM, and then performing operations before displaying the results on a screen in hexadecimal notation. In one example video, Salaja loads the "division program" and then successfully divides 9 by 5. The only downfall is that the computation takes a little while for the charge on the redstone to travel, but Salaja's home-designed computer within a computer game is still quite a mind-boggling feat.

"I only had a basic understanding of logic gates, flipflops, and adders before starting this project," Salaja said when asked how he learned all this jiggery-pokery. "I built it step by step, adding whatever I thought it need. I didn't follow any existing cpu architecture, so it is possible that mine is completely unique."

The entire computer took over a month of real time for Salaja to complete. It took a lot of trial and error, but he may have come up with a way to build Minecraft CPUs (I can't believe that's actually a term now) in a new way. Not all of it was easy. "Another thing that I've done, but I don't know if it's unique, is that my buses are verticle. This means that they are only 1 block wide, but it does make my cpu very high," Salaja said. "I died many times by falling from the top."

I totally respect what Salaja has done and even if his knowledge of computer science and architecture goes totally over my head, I'm happy that stuff like this exists. It's also an interesting idea for there to be "breakthroughs" in fake computer building within a computer game. Will we start to see competing designs? Will there be an Intel vs. AMD war within Minecraft?!

Source: Minecraft Forums

Thanks to Tharwen for the tip!

My God... A computer within a computer? That's... I don't even know. Ingenious? Insane? Will we make the matrix INSIDE the matrix? XD

Now all that's left is to play Minecraft inside of Minecraft

This seems hard... I really hope he made a private server and cheated to get the stuff he needed. I really think some have too much time on their hands...

I'm really expecting a "Yo dawg I herd U like" meme

How long until the computers inside Minecraft become self-aware and begin harvesting farm animals for energy?

standokan:

Yo dawg, I herd u like computers, so we put a computer in your computer so you use your computer while using your computer!

Now make a computer in MC that can run Crysis 2!

Yopaz:
This seems hard... I really hope he made a private server and cheated to get the stuff he needed. I really think some have too much time on their hands...

Or just use InvEdit.

"I only had a basic understanding of logic gates, flipflops, and adders before starting this project," Salaja said when asked how he learned all this jiggery-pokery. "I built it step by step, adding whatever I thought it need. I didn't follow any existing cpu architecture, so it is possible that mine is completely unique."

This is the best part of it all, that he started off with barely much to know and yet pulled this off. The mark of a true hobbyist.
Much as I wouldn't mind seeing some brain from Intel or AMD strut their stuff in Minecraft, this takes the cake above all else.

Wow. That is impressive. Couldn't help but notice that he had peaceful mode turned on. That is not something you want creepers getting near.

I wonder if it'd be possible to build a computer in Minecraft more powerful that that used to run Minecraft?

Hot damn, this guy is deserving of a major high five for sheer nerdiness and Minecraft craftery. Guess I'll do the honors:

Idlemessiah:
I wonder if it'd be possible to build a computer in Minecraft more powerful that that used to run Minecraft?

can you imagine how massive that would be? it would probably take years just to make.

OT: this is like the inception of gaming.

YO DAWG I HEARD YOU LIKE COMPUTERS SO WE-

Ah fuck, ninja'd.

This is... Mineception.

Salaja puts the craft in Minecraft

I'm not sure if this is the lamest or most awesome thing I've ever seen.

Idlemessiah:

Well no, but suppose you build a computer that can itself run Minecraft? Now suppose that computer can run Minecraft almost as fast as the original computer. Prove it either way and you'll get $1,000,000 :D
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennium_Prize_Problems

A computer inside a computer. I think he is part Xzibit.

Idlemessiah:

No it's not, unfortunately. You can, with enough time and dedication, make a computer equivalent in bit-size, memory and most other pieces, but you'll never be able to exceed the clock speed of the host computer's CPU. It will actually always be significantly slower, regardless of what you do, due to having to go directly through the layer.

Though I suppose if you really wanted to, you could simply make a 256 bit CPU and perform 8-10 operations simultaneously. That might work, though I doubt it.

VincentX3:
Now all that's left is to play Minecraft inside of Minecraft

standokan:

Done and Done.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109144-Man-Uses-Kinect-to-Play-Minecraft-in-Minecraft

OT: This is just amazing. I'd like to see that CPU war played out in minecraft very much.

That is way too awesome

This reminds me of a comic I read once, where there is only one man who lives as an immortal in an infinite existence. He searches through his existence and gathers up rocks, and he uses these rocks to create a massive computer, which runs a simulation that is the universe we live in.

This only gives more credence to the comic's claims!

I would be lying if I understood how any of this works in any way shape or form. But I still appreciate that it is awesome.

Greg Tito:
Will there be an Intel vs. AMD war within Minecraft?!

Only until one of them hacks in a creeper spawncube.

Greg Tito:

I totally respect what Salaja has done and even if his knowledge of computer science and architecture goes totally over my head, I'm happy that stuff like this exists. It's also an interesting idea for their to be "breakthroughs" in fake computer building within a computer game. Will we start to see competing designs? Will there be an Intel vs. AMD war within Minecraft?!

Slight grammar problem here, Escapist? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, this is pretty neat. Actually, it's awesome, and it would be cool to see if someone could make a computer that could run older games, maybe even up to Half-Life? Would take TONS of time and lots of people willing to work on it.

Still, this is a cool achievement, and I seriously doubt the creator of Minecraft had this in mind.

How the hell does this work?

Can you make a computer out of rocks or something then?

A computer within a computer program?

Am I going to have to be the asshole who makes an inception joke?

Fine...'Inceptcraft'...there

Edit:

Orannis0:
This is... Mineception.

dam...beat me to it

Yo dawg, i heard you like CPU's

lol at the youtube comments.

"Don't you guys see where this is going? eventually there will be a computer in minecraft that can play minecraft, and in it will be built another computer, playing minecraft, and then another one, with another one in it. It's going to be MINECEPTION"

Jabberwock xeno:
How the hell does this work?

Can you make a computer out of rocks or something then?

Well, this is making 'em out of wire, diodes and logic gates.:)

But rocks? Sure, why not.

Averant:
My God... A computer within a computer? That's... I don't even know. Ingenious? Insane? Will we make the matrix INSIDE the matrix? XD

Inception ain't got nuthin this guy

Next step: a SNES emulator on that Minecraft computer, so that you can kill time by playing classic games (in a game).

Averant:

We need to escape! The CPU is collapsing!

(This is going to be an endless source of bad inception jokes.)

Strixvaliano:
How long until the computers inside Minecraft become self-aware and begin harvesting farm animals for energy?

Well, if Minecraft continues to gain followers in real life, we would all be living in Minecraft and neglecting reality. The Machines would use us to harvest the animals for them.

Matrix!

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or