Computer Built in Minecraft Has RAM, Performs Division

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I understood nothing so I guess... Mission complete?

A computer... in side of another Computer, Inside of the internet?

hittite:
I'm not sure if this is the lamest or most awesome thing I've ever seen.

+1

I think the former--even though I want to say it is awesome, I just ... the time ... the sheer amount of time ... I can't.

The Rogue Wolf:

Orannis0:
This is... Mineception.

We need to go deeper! ...but not straight down!

This made my day. Great comment.

standokan:
I'm really expecting a "Yo dawg I herd U like" meme

k

anyway, Minecraft amazes me. I don't like it as a game, but the things people do...

I think the most awesome thing is that he's the only guy who can say he fell from the top of his computer and died.

Multiple times.

Alar:
This reminds me of a comic I read once, where there is only one man who lives as an immortal in an infinite existence. He searches through his existence and gathers up rocks, and he uses these rocks to create a massive computer, which runs a simulation that is the universe we live in.

This only gives more credence to the comic's claims!

please tell me what comic that is i would really like to read it

That'sSsSs a very nice CPU you have there.. would be a shame if something were to happen to it..

EDIT: Misquote.

Yep, Minecraft is so unoriginal and simplistic. I mean, it's just a map editor. Obviously.

sycoesis:

Alar:
This reminds me of a comic I read once, where there is only one man who lives as an immortal in an infinite existence. He searches through his existence and gathers up rocks, and he uses these rocks to create a massive computer, which runs a simulation that is the universe we live in.

please tell me what comic that is i would really like to read it

That was XKCD.

Ickorus:
That'sSsSs a very nice CPU you have there.. would be a shame if something were to happen to it..

EDIT: Misquote.

There's a video on his channel where he programs it to blow up.

jawakiller:
MINESWEEPER!!!...

Just an idea.

that's probably doable within a year, maybe 8D
seriously awesome, it has pretty much every part of a CPU
wonderful :)

believer258:

Greg Tito:

I totally respect what Salaja has done and even if his knowledge of computer science and architecture goes totally over my head, I'm happy that stuff like this exists. It's also an interesting idea for their to be "breakthroughs" in fake computer building within a computer game. Will we start to see competing designs? Will there be an Intel vs. AMD war within Minecraft?!

Slight grammar problem here, Escapist? Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, this is pretty neat. Actually, it's awesome, and it would be cool to see if someone could make a computer that could run older games, maybe even up to Half-Life? It would take TONS of time and lots of people willing to work on it.

Still, this is a cool achievement, and I seriously doubt the creator of Minecraft had this in mind.

VincentX3:
Now all that's left is to play Minecraft inside of Minecraft

you can already do that:

OT: what I want....... is a Minecraft CPU........ That can play Minecraft...........so I can build a Minecraft CPU...... to play Minecraft.....

Et Al, ect, and so on........

only thing left to do is make a computer in minecraft, in the computer made in minecraft.

I'm sure someone's already starting on building a computer that can play Minecraft on a screen consisting of torches. It will run at 1 frame per hour and will be finished in about six years, if this guy works fast.

Soylent Bacon:
I'm sure someone's already starting on building a computer that can play Minecraft on a screen consisting of torches. It will run at 1 frame per hour and will be finished in about six years, if this guy works fast.

Hell in about 6 years, someone will have probably built a teleporter and invented something that can go faster than the speed of light.

So if you can do this
Could you make something that could double the power of your PC
That would normally cost a few thousand
In Minecraft
For free

._____.

Now all it needs to do is play Minecraft, and then he can create a computer inside that that can play minecraft, and a computer inside that, and a computer inside that...

fanklok:
Oh please, Dwarf Fortress has a dwarven computer in it that can Add Subtract Multiple and Divide out to 8 digits. It of course runs on lava.

This, this, a myriad times this. You people want to see a computer in a game? This is a computer in a game!
Go here and marvel http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49641.msg1035291#msg1035291

It also has a punishment plate, that triggers the doomsday device whenever somebody overflows the processor.

I personally welcome Salaja as our new computing overlord.

Alar:

I think you mean this comic:

http://xkcd.com/505/

Incidentally, this was actually the comic that got me interested in the physics of computers, and modern CPU architecture.

Or you could just post it. Like this:

yo dawg i heard you like computers so we put a computer in yo computer so you can compute while you DOES NOT COMPUTE.
OP:... well I built like 4 apartment buildings and a few house but this is...is... wizerdry!

Just imagine TNTing the whole thing...Mwahahahahaha

okay does anybody think that minecraft is evolving i mean we have gone from small houses in caves to computers i mean it is evolving faster than the human race ever did what next? also

VincentX3:
Now all that's left is to play Minecraft inside of Minecraft

That's the dream!

Seriously though, this is utterly amazing. I wonder if Notch ever realised that people would be doing this with his creation?

There needs to be an advocate here for those(me) who don't give a shit for the timesink that is minecraft.

This is impressive that through trial and error alone this guy was able to build a computer, but the sheer amount of time...

If only this man put his brain to actual things. Instead, he wastes it grinding away in minecraft.

All I have done so far is build a lava pyramid...I'm not sure how I feel about building a computer in a computer. Just seems so um...hypothetical with no real practical applications. I'm sure he had fun?

Eddy-16:

Soylent Bacon:

Hell in about 6 years, someone will have probably built a teleporter and invented something that can go faster than the speed of light.

Well, he WOULD have, but now that Minecraft released, that guy got addicted to the game and is spending his time on building a giant, virtual gaming PC instead of the teleportation technology.

He managed to make a computer within a computer-Awesome. the fact that he used a video game to do it is legendary.

So if a computer is built in Minecraft that's capable of running it's own version of Minecraft, can we expect someone to build another computer in that?

...WHAT?! Are we a game being played within a computer within Minecraft within a computer within Farmville? I don't know what's real anymore! *sobs uncontrollably* I must say this trumps ALL internet projects I've heard of to date.

That is seriously impressive! Brilliant work.

Amazing, let's hope it doesn't get conciseness, wait a moment, isn't today 4/20/11, oh shIT!!!.....

Wonder if he can get Doom to run on that thing...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here