CryEngine 2 Turns Crash Bandicoot Into the Stuff of Nightmares

Pages 1 2 NEXT

CryEngine 2 Turns Crash Bandicoot Into the Stuff of Nightmares

Some dedicated modders show us all what Crash Bandicoot would have looked like if it had been made 15 years and 2 console generations later.

After 18 games, three developers, and at least three different genres, you'd think the world was done with Crash Bandicoot. However, some Crash fans and CryEngine modders decided that you can never have enough Crash, and have set themselves to the task of remaking the original 1996 Naughty Dog-created Crash Bandicoot in one of today's most graphically impressive engines.

And damn, those graphics really do look great. The details of the lush forest backdrop of the first level look fantastic, and the level design is nearly an exact match to the original game. So as far as the design and look are concerned, this game is a triumph of modding ability. Considering Crash Bandicoot was one of the big franchises on the PS1 and PS2, it's actually sort of surprising that no Crash platformers have been made for the PS3. Perhaps this mod, which the authors are calling Crash Bandicoot HD, will act as a wake-up-call to the powers that be.

On the other hand, I am afraid of the actual character model of Crash Bandicoot. Its blank stare and too-wide grin are just plain terrifying to behold, and his movements seem awfully stiff and creepy. The start menu is one of the scariest things I think I've ever seen in gaming, and I never want to see it again.

Source: CVG

god this brings back memories, i want a remake now dammit.

This looks bad tbh

Makes me think of the horrible way they changed Banjo's look in Nuts&Bolts

CAPtcha:Some Chapple
Umm Ok?

Did you notice the trap before he fell into it? Shoes nicely how awful the graphic design of most current games is at conveying relevant information to the player as long as the waterfall in the distance looks amazing.

Well, now it looks like a mutant escaped from captivity, and is now running around on an island with a blank, soul-less stare.

Thanks for the nightmares.

Looked so cool and yet so creepy....

Oh and lets see them make the Sunset Vista or Stormy Accent level.

I think it looks pretty cool. Minus the absolutely terrifying Crash of course. That reminds me: who owns Crash Bandicoot now? Is it Vivendi Universal or Travelers Tales?

The envviornment looked better than crash did. It does not look like it would be fun to play.

Screw this man, the graphics were amazing but I don't care, let there not be a remake of crash if he looks so creepy like that....

The Rascal King:
I think it looks pretty cool. Minus the absolutely terrifying Crash of course. That reminds me: who owns Crash Bandicoot now? Is it Vivendi Universal or Travelers Tales?

Whatever Universal became

OT:and another reason my childhood is being ruined by today's consoles and companies

That song brings back memories.

But I'd rather have Crash stay down. He had his run, its done now. It was a great run(at least the PS1 was a great run), but yeah, its over.

The environments looked great, especially the waterfall but Crash looked like one of those mascots you see at football matches. Except of course he doesn't eat cheerleaders...yet

Good memories of some of the first video games I ever played.

That actually looks like it'd be horrible to play. I know I can't see the controller but judging by the sluggish way he moved I can see everything being really unresponsive. And the camera seems a tad annoying too.

That zombie shuffle....

looks like they need a character animator.

Very nice but doesn't have the same charm that the original crash bandicoot had. Ahh the memories.

It's purdy but herky jerky as hell.

They really need to put work into it in the animations and spins, (and start menu) but when fully done I would definately give it a go.

Kill it with fire! That's all I'm going to say... I mean hey it's not like I wanted to sleep tonight anyway...

Crash with a nanosuit anyone?

The Rascal King:

Activision. Its one of the franchises they want to exploit. Their words, not mine.

Aside from the stiff animations and that face, there's another problem. With all the foliage and fancy props put around you can't tell whether there's just a rock in your way or you're gonna plummet hundreds of feet down.
Otherwise, it's nice to see someone still cares about Crash and makes something as awesome as this.

Unfortunately, I can't help but see a cease and desist order from Activision in the near future... Didn't they do that with 8-bit DJ Hero or whatever already?

Well, considering that it's a fan made mod using the engine of a first person shooter, I'd say it looks simply amazing. I can tell from miles away that the model he's using is the defalt one used in Crysis, so the animation needs to be worked out obviously and the model itself reminded me of one of those awful 90's commercials of one of the Crash Bandicoots.

Also, let's hope that Activision won't do what Sega did and drop the hammer on them.

Scott Bullock:

On the other hand, I am afraid of the actual character model of Crash Bandicoot. Its blank stare and too-wide grin are just plain terrifying to behold, and his movements seem awfully stiff and creepy. The start menu is one of the scariest things I think I've ever seen in gaming, and I never want to see it again.

It wasn't the models that did it for me, but the disgustingly animations. When Crash did his spin attack, they just spun the model around once. When he jumped, it took him roughly half a minute to hit the ground. I wasn't sure if this was really the CryEngine or Halo's engine, because the physics are pretty much the same. Having said that, it did look pretty.

Edit: I just realized how brilliant this was. The Crash fan mod plays awkward and it badly coded, but it LOOKS pretty, just like most AAA games!

I always thought Crash would look better if he went for the Cel-Shaded look instead of... THIS.

Much more cartoony and, you know, in theme with the game.
Here he looks all.. Derpy. And eat-your-brains derpy instead of friendly, hugging-slightly-too-tightly-for-your-health derpy.

I've never played Crash, so I can't comment on how it looks compared to the old games. However, it's kind of like watching someone stuck into one of those big fuzzy mascot things for football games. Maybe it's a bit more akin to watching Igor run around. It wasn't terrifying, but wasn't fun to watch either. Still...pretty graphics are pretty.

Well, it did look nice... Until they started moving. Then it simply became clear that they aren't great at animating 3D models.

Also, no thanks. Crash is right along with Spyro in PS1 franchises that should stay dead now. Neither series were any good after Naughty Dog left Crash and Insomniac left Sypro. And right now, Spyro is suffering (did you guys see that new game with the toys they're making?!) enough for both of them. Let Crash rest in peace, we don't need any more awful games from him.

A good bit of polish on the presentation, massive improvement in platforming gameplay, a good writer to provide some entertaining dialogue and maybe we'd have a pretty solid reboot.

What I want to see is a crossover of Crash and Crysis.

Maybe have the series connect in some way. Like Crash knows interdimensionional travel with the puzzle pieces. Give a great excuse to have Cell NPCs get a little touch up, maybe suit up the AI a tad more.

They could also throw in great nostalgia moment while Alcatraz realizes Crash's potential and shoots himself in the head to give Crash control over his new Nanosuit.

THE_NAMSU:
Screw this man, the graphics were amazing but I don't care, let there not be a remake of crash if he looks so creepy like that....

But they could make such a great survival horror game.

The first 10 seconds of that video raped my childhood. How am I supposed to go to sleep NOW?!

Crash looks like a guy running around in a Crash suit now.

The environments, boxes, text and world objects looked really nice.

At least the Crash model wasn't as bad as the Radical Entertainment Crash Bandicoot *shivers*.

Also at 1:52 does he...take damage?

EDIT: If you watch the updated video they made the spin animation better. better but not perfect.

Good god! That head is HUGE! It's like as big as the rest of his body!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here