PSN Down Worldwide; Is Anonymous to Blame?

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

PSN Down Worldwide; Is Anonymous to Blame?

Sony's PlayStation Network is down around the world, and the company hasn't ruled out targeted attacks as the cause.

If you've tried to log into PSN since last night, you may have noticed that you can't log into PSN. The service is down in North America, Asia and Europe alike, which is probably a bit of a headache for people hoping to play Portal 2 online with friends.

While Sony has only been referring to the PSN problems as an "outage," and says that it is still investigating the cause, the electronics giant hasn't ruled out deliberate interference. In a message on the EU PlayStation Blog (which has since been edited), PSN manager James Gallagher said that one potential cause could be an attack by a third party.

"Our support teams are investigating the cause of the problem, including the possibility of targeted behavior by an outside party," wrote Gallagher. "If the reported Network problems are indeed caused by such acts, we would like to once again thank our customers who have borne the brunt of the attack through interrupted service.

"Our engineers are continuing to work to restore and maintain the services, and we appreciate our customers' continued support."

If this is the result of an attack, it would be odd considering that Anonymous publicly announced that it would cease attacks affecting PlayStation customers more than a week ago. However, that doesn't mean that a similar group - or a splinter branch of Anonymous - couldn't be doing the same in its absence.

(Edit: Asia-based user tghm1801 confirmed that yes, PSN is down there too.)

(Via Eurogamer)

Considering I couldn't play Portal 2 with my friends even when PSN was up, whatever.
Thankfully, once the Steam version finished downloading, I completely abandoned playing it on my PS3 and have been happy ever since.

egres peanuts

Dammit I just got Mortal Kombat and now this happens.

If it is anonymous i hope they realize that what they are doing is not gonna help them at all but more likely piss off ALL the people who use PSN and then they would most likely go against them. And i think the PSN has bigger numbers then 3900 in that lame boycott.

I bet it's steam integration!
Valve's plan finally reveals itself as GLaDOS takes over PSN.

John Funk:
The service is down in North America and Europe alike (presumably Japan as well, but who knows?), which is probably a bit of a headache for people hoping to play Portal 2 online with friends.

I live in Asia, and it's down here too.

And yes, Portal 2 is the reason I am annoyed.
However, I promptly entered the key into Steam on my PC and am just waiting for it to finish downloading so that I can play. :)

Maybe they're just looking for someone to blame because their shoddy service went down o.O

Easier to blame others than yourself.

Mister Benoit:
Maybe they're just looking for someone to blame because their shoddy service went down o.O

This.

Anon is top notch when it comes to claiming responsibility. If it was them I don't doubt they would have said something by now.

i wanna play arcana heart 3

76% and this crap happens. id better be reimbursed for something like this

Anonymous said they weren't going to to target PSN anymore, and I'd take their word over Sony's thinly veiled insinuations any day of the week!

Mister Benoit:

Croaker42:

Mister Benoit:

This.

Anon is top notch when it comes to claiming responsibility. If it was them I don't doubt they would have said something by now.

Sony didn't blame anyone. Sony Germany even announced PSN was down because of 'unexpected maintenance'. But hey, fuck them - they're a company, and companies are assholes.

Edit:

HankMan:
Anonymous said they weren't going to to target PSN anymore, and I'd take their word over Sony's thinly veiled insinuations any day of the week!

Yeah. I would take anybody's word over Sony's, if that anybody needed an entire 24-hour DDoS attack on a customer-targeted service to figure out the attack affects the customer.

Makes sense. Their "in person protest" was a complete flop so they went back to doing something that they can actually pull off: a DDoS.

"Turn left here!" -- Anonymous Guy 1

"No, turn right here!" -- Anonymous Guy 2

"No, turn left here!" -- Anonymous Guy 1

"No, turn right here!" -- Anonymous Guy 2

"Christ! One of you dumb fucks should have got directions from Mapquest.
I'm gonna take a nap. Wake me up when we get there." -- Anonymous Guy 3

Anonymous isn't lead by anybody, and they don't have a direct goal. There is no splinter group or anything. Any action taken by any member is an act of Anon. They're anarchists, and they used to like it that way. If Anonymous ever puts out a statement saying they're against something or that they won't do something, that's just one dude making a decision. Everyone has the personal option to either listen or not.

I've always wondered why this doesn't happen more often, it would certainly raise awareness that the ability to play your games shouldn't be bound to a single centralized system which screws over everyone when it's down.

John Funk:
If you've tried to log into PSN since last night, you may have noticed that you can't log into PSN. The service is down in North America, Asia and Europe alike, which is probably a bit of a headache for people hoping to play Portal 2 online with friends.

Been trying all day. All I wanted is to take my little robot and fly at the speed of sound. Is that really so much to ask? Apparently, if a group of people on there computers protesting something is concerned, yes. Yes it is.

Calumon: Awww, but Jack let's me play Portal! This is mean... : (

Dexter111:
I've always wondered why this doesn't happen more often, it would certainly raise awareness that the ability to play your games shouldn't be bound to a single centralized system which screws over everyone when it's down.

Are you suggesting that two independent network systems be created so that there'll always be a back-up if one goes down? That's the same argument I used on my bank when I was trying to convince them that lending me $250,000 so that I could buy a Lamborghini to have sitting around in case my everyday car broke down was a brilliant idea. For some strange reason, they weren't convinced of the brilliance.

That "hacker" clipart is hilarious

John Funk:
The service is down in North America, Asia and Europe alike, which is probably a bit of a headache for people hoping to play Portal 2 online with friends.

So does this mean it still works in Australia? Because if so damn them to hell!

Wait, they're already there... nevermind then.

I just hope we can log back on to our psn's soon got some gaming to be done

If this is the case because of Anonymous or a splinter group, this is probably the final suck on the death cock.

Krakyn:
Anonymous isn't lead by anybody, and they don't have a direct goal. There is no splinter group or anything. Any action taken by any member is an act of Anon. They're anarchists, and they used to like it that way. If Anonymous ever puts out a statement saying they're against something or that they won't do something, that's just one dude making a decision. Everyone has the personal option to either listen or not.

True, but it goes against anon's "modus operandi" to do something without at least one dude releasing an announcement of their actions. Either these anons are slow on the draw with said announcement, or it's not anons. That, and it also goes against typical anon patterns of attack to do something that'll majorly inconvenience innocents. They attack companies, not customers.

Well, this just goes to show you that free things never work as well as things you pay for.

EDIT: And before someone complains because I'm insulting PSN, just remember, you guys always rub it in Xbox user's faces that your service is free and ours is not. I'm just reminding you that free =/= good, functional or unlikely for this to happen. /someonewhoboughtPortal2forPC

EDIT 2: Also, let's just point out the fact that you're getting angry over a service they provide for free. If someone were to give you free food and it wasn't that good, would you complain? If not, why would you complain about this? It's free. They're giving it to you. They don't have to make it free, they could charge you money. So just be glad it's free.

JDKJ:

Dexter111:

Are you suggesting that two independent network systems be created so that there'll always be a back-up if one goes down? That's the same argument I used on my bank when I was trying to convince them that lending me $250,000 so that I could buy a Lamborghini to have sitting around in case my everyday car broke down was a brilliant idea. For some strange reason, they weren't convinced of the brilliance.

I'm "suggesting" that it would be a lot better for about anyone involved if the games would just connect to separate Master servers that either announce Dedicated or handle the Matchmaking and the publishers/devs/communities (or fans if you have the option to set up your own dedicated) take care of that and the whole "Playstation Network" and "XBox Live" thing only be used as a layer over the underlying network architecture... not as its backbone.
But hell they'd have to give up some control over their platform to do that and we can't have that xD

I don't think it is.
Don't know about others but me and most of the people i know who use PSN regularly have all complained about log-in problems over the last couple weeks. When previously I had maybe one log in problem every 3 or 4 months. However, it's hard to get uppity about it. Not like I'm paying for it.

Doclector:

Krakyn:

True, but it goes against anon's "modus operandi" to do something without at least one dude releasing an announcement of their actions. Either these anons are slow on the draw with said announcement, or it's not anons. That, and it also goes against typical anon patterns of attack to do something that'll majorly inconvenience innocents. They attack companies, not customers.

That assumes Anonymouse has any idea beforehand what the effect of their actions will be on innocent bystanders because they've thought through their actions. Let's not give credit where none is due.

HG131:
Well, this just goes to show you that free things never work as well as things you pay for.

EDIT: And before someone complains because I'm insulting PSN, just remember, you guys always rub it in Xbox user's faces that your service is free and ours is not. I'm just reminding you that free =/= good, functional or unlikely for this to happen. /someonewhoboughtPortal2forPC

Sounds fair to me. I've always said you get what you pay for holds true considering the feature set between PSN and Xbox Live (PSN: You get to play online. Xbox Live: You get to play online, you get to report players from the console if they are cheating, you get to avoid players if they are being douchebags, you get cross game chat, you get party chat, and so on.). Now it just holds even more true.

mjc0961:

HG131:

Sounds fair to me. I've always said you get what you pay for holds true considering the feature set between PSN and Xbox Live (PSN: You get to play online. Xbox Live: You get to play online, you get to report players from the console if they are cheating, you get to avoid players if they are being douchebags, you get cross game chat, you get party chat, and so on.). Now it just holds even more true.

Agreed. Also, as my second edit said, you're complaining about something you are getting for free. Would you yell at, insult and treat like shit someone who gave you free food that wasn't that good? A free game? A free ANYTHING?

Dexter111:

JDKJ:

Dexter111:

I'm "suggesting" that it would be a lot better for about anyone involved if the games would just connect to separate Master servers that either announce Dedicated or handle the Matchmaking and the publishers/devs/communities (or fans if you have the option to set up your own dedicated) take care of that and the whole "Playstation Network" and "XBox Live" thing only be used as a layer over the underlying network architecture... not as its backbone.
But hell they'd have to give up some control over their platform to do that and we can't have that xD

I wish I had you with me when I was talking to that loan officer at my bank. You'd have made him see the brilliance of my Lamborghini plan.

Kills lovefilm for me so its quite annoying, i'll be interested to see what the cause of this is

Me wants to play Socom 4. >:(

Mister Benoit:

Honestly in all my time with the PlayStation Network I've never had any issues unless it was with a game server being down which isn't their fault.
But I digress as beating on the PSN is trendy.

If this is Anons doing it just proves that they can never be held to their word, and they've decided that attacking the consumer is the best course of action.
Anon, if this is you you're going to have to do something drastic to ever earn back that iota of respect I had for you.

If Anonymous did it, they'd announce it. As dumb as they are sometimes, they have the decency to forewarn their targets. That may only be because they couldn't coordinate an attack without publicly broadcasting it somewhere.

Either way, I'm fairly confident it's not the work of the main group.

Called it! I'll be collecting your wagers in the main lobby.

HG131:

EDIT 2: Also, let's just point out the fact that you're getting angry over a service they provide for free. If someone were to give you free food and it wasn't that good, would you complain? If not, why would you complain about this? It's free. They're giving it to you. They don't have to make it free, they could charge you money. So just be glad it's free.

I wouldnt just attribute a global failure to a couple servers missing thier regular maintenance. Just saying.

OT: Waited some 3 months to enjoy the co-op. I think i can wait another few days. Im very good at waiting.

Frank_Sinatra_:

Mister Benoit:

Honestly in all my time with the PlayStation Network I've never had any issues unless it was with a game server being down which isn't their fault.
But I digress as beating on the PSN is trendy.

If this is Anons doing it just proves that they can never be held to their word, and they've decided that attacking the consumer is the best course of action.
Anon, if this is you you're going to have to do something drastic to ever earn back that iota of respect I had for you.

I'm just bitter because Virtua Tennis 3 doesn't have online for the PS3.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here