Fable 3 Coming to Steam

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fable 3 Coming to Steam

In a stunning acknowledgment of "who's your daddy," Microsoft has announced that the PC edition of Fable 3 will be released on Steam as well as Games for Windows Marketplace.

"There can be only one," as the saying goes, and in the world of digital distribution for the PC, that's Steam, plain and simple. And while Microsoft has long tried to be the Christopher Lambert to Valve's Clancy Brown, today the software giant finally knelt down and kissed the ring.

"Microsoft Game Studios and Lionhead are happy to announce that Fable 3 for Windows will be available through Valve Corporation's Steam distribution platform, in addition to Games for Windows Marketplace and in retail stores simultaneously," Microsoft announced today. Releasing a game on Steam is hardly noteworthy these days, but Microsoft turning over one of its few remaining PC franchises to the tender mercies of its arch-rival in the digital distribution arena? That's something altogether different. And I bet it stung.

Microsoft is holding back a little something for itself, of course. Gamers who preorder Fable 3 on Games for Windows Marketplace will also receive a free copy of Fable: The Lost Chapters, which is a pretty sweet deal for anyone taking their first Fable plunge. A Steam preorder, on the other hand, will net you the "Rebel's Weapon and Tattoo Pack," which includes four exclusive weapons and five tattoos. So, a free game on GfW or some throwaway crap on Steam - what's it going to be, internet?

Fable 3 for the PC comes out on May 17.

Don't want, go away, Moneyleux.

My PC-playing friends will be happy. But Fable 3's old news for me now.

That. That right there? That's the sweet milky taste of Irony.

Lionhead still has some independence within Microsoft. I still think they need a better QA department.

Andy Chalk:
So, a free game on GfW or some throwaway crap on Steam - what's it going to be, internet?

Don't forget! Your choice of SecuROM or Games for Windows LIVE! :D

What's it going to be? Neither. They're charging full retail price for a game that's what, a year and a half old now? And it's not a good game, either. Just a re-hashing of the same crap in Fable and Fable 2. I'll wait until it's $5 on Steam.

*Sees GFWL* No deal.

Before Fable 2? Oh that's just plain silly.

But I heard many bad and annoying things about Fable 3, so it's no deal for me anyway. Fable 2 looked rather fun, but 3? No thanks.

Can't say I totally understand the reasoning behind this. They release Fable 1 and Fable 3 on PC, but just leave out the middle installment? Not to mention that it'll be half a year old by release day.

But, I do like that Microsoft is acknowledging the dominance of Steam. Seriously, I'd like to see GFWL pull off something as complex and amazingly fun as the Portal 2 ARG. GWFL literally doesn't have the infrastructure to even try it.

GFWL GIef. All games.

Dawn of War without GFWL = Canceled Pre-Order.

I don't want it, but if I did, this would make me happy. Yay, I guess?
(Because seriously, screw GfWL. Bleh.)

Xzi:
What's it going to be? Neither. They're charging full retail price for a game that's what, a year and a half old now? And it's not a good game, either. Just a re-hashing of the same crap in Fable and Fable 2. I'll wait until it's $5 on Steam.

Don't forget that they're releasing it at the same day as The Witcher 2 as well. What were they thinking?

ah steam how i use to like you but since your not working for me atm there nothing to be done

Random crap, or a free game...and GFWL.

Everyones going to take the Steam version. And maybe Microsoft will finally give up and focus on something more important.

Never played Fable, but ive watched some. Honestly, I got everything I need from the game by seeing so much promise from the moral choice at the start, and then getting ruined so thoroughly. So i'm not terribly interested.

Played it on the 360 and found it very underwhelming. I doubt a PC port will be any better, whether it's on Steam and using GFWL or not.

In a stunning acknowledgement that "we've got your money anyway, you poor simpletons" and "That whole 'Games For Windows' thing? Basically a PR move, and pretty cheap at the price", Microsoft deigned to release Fable 3 to the people who put their company on the map a trifling seven months after the owners of the XBox 360 got it.

I've gotten used to this from other game companies, but coming from Microsoft it's particularly galling.

"So, a free game on GfW or some throwaway crap on Steam - what's it going to be, internet?"

The Witcher 2.

Considering most of the reviews I've read and what my friends have said I'll skip this one. Far better RPGs to spend my money on.

OT: I'm glad that it's being released on Steam. I mean having it only released on one service is sort of like restricting it to a single retail chain. Less competition means less chance of a good deal.

I got the lost chapters when I got fable 2, which is weird because I don't know why they gave this game out to everyone considering how popular fable 1 was. I never even opened the game because really giving away copies of a game people probably already own doesn't make sense.

I guess my question is why again? I mean what would I do with three copies of fable 1, original and 2 copies of the lost chapters. Stop giving me fable 1.

Cowabungaa:

But I heard many bad and annoying things about Fable 3, so it's no deal for me anyway. Fable 2 looked rather fun, but 3? No thanks.

Fable 3 was fun but Fable 2 was way better.

Yeah,your time has passed Lionhead.Had you informed PC gamers of the game's status when it was delayed,I could have understood.But not saying a thing for months and popping out and saying:here's a game,and it has nothing more to offer then couple tattoos and a few weapons,you blew it.
As it's been said many times before,I'll cater to my RPG needs with The Witcher 2.

What's everyone's problem with Games For Windows Live anyways? Other than not possessing the most replete library.

Hehe, know whats funny? It comes out the same time as Witcher 2. Well, I find it funny.

Woodsey:
"So, a free game on GfW or some throwaway crap on Steam - what's it going to be, internet?"

The Witcher 2.

That was so ninja!

Cowabungaa:

If you thought the hate for Fable 3 was bad, you should have seen the hate for 2. And for 1.

Of course, when 2 came out 1 all of a sudden became a "misunderstood classic" or something like that. While 2 became a piece of ass, despite improving on so many things. And now that Fable 3 is out, I see 2 getting a lot less hate.

So I wouldn't take what people say about the Fable games as buying advice.

Sorry, Witcher 2 more urgent.

Andy Chalk:
Releasing a game on Steam is hardly noteworthy these days, but Microsoft turning over one of its few remaining PC franchises to the tender mercies of its arch-rival in the digital distribution arena? That's something altogether different. And I bet it stung.

Yes, Microsoft admitting defeat in the marketplace is like the Republican Party unaminuosly voting for a Democrat bill.

Though, it could be more Lionhead's decision making than Microsoft's. I would give literally something for a recording of those negotiations.

Ghengis John:
What's everyone's problem with Games For Windows Live anyways? Other than not possessing the most replete library.

Its about as user friendly as a brick. Just like a brick, you stick it somewhere then it innately resists all attempts to do anything else with it.

Besides its more a case of Steam and other DDP's being better, much better.

This is April in 2011, right? I havn't gotten some sort of reverse concussion and it's actually halfway through 2010?

Nope, computer agrees with me. This sort of shit is why I keep my old Xbox 360 around, reviving it with mouth-to-mouth and jump-leads every now and again.

Great move MS, now, if you get rid of GFLW althogether, I may consider buying this game.

Ghengis John:

Its also frustrating and difficult to use to the point of being broken. I was forced into using it because they left the GFWL DRM in the steam version of BioShock 2, and nothing about the experience made me want to come back. In fact, it was so bad that if I see GFWL on a box somewhere or in the system's requirements now, I just keep walking. The sheer frustration just isn't worthwhile, no matter how good the game itself might be.

Heh, what a dick move, who needs the lost chapters anyway? According to Yahtzee, fable 2 was the same as fable one, then again fable 3 was the same as fable 2? I was kinda waitig for it, but, seeing as it's full price, stuffed with useless crap, just let it pass...

I'd almost say that it was worth buying Fable 3 on GFWL simply so players could get the original Fable for free, since it is the far superior game... but you might as well just buy a copy of Fable: TLC and be done with it.

I think I would have had more respect for Lionhead if Fable had remained a one off gem and not a forgotten classic burdened with all the baggage of it's terrible sequels.

sushkis2:
Heh, what a dick move, who needs the lost chapters anyway? According to Yahtzee, fable 2 was the same as fable one, then again fable 3 was the same as fable 2? I was kinda waitig for it, but, seeing as it's full price, stuffed with useless crap, just let it pass...

You could argue that all the Fable games are essentially the same game, so little changes. But Fable 2 can't be compared to the original Fable imo. Somehow, despite being pretty much the same game, Fable 2 and 3 managed to suck all the charm, and more importantly the fun, out of the Fable formula. I can play Fable endlessly but still can't stand Fable 2... as for Fable 3, well I barely finished it.

*COUGH*.... AHEM!!...... Why?

Baldr:
Lionhead still has some independence within Microsoft. I still think they need a better QA department.

Or as yahtzee said Moneyleux needs his pie hole taping shut whenever lionhead are making new games.

This is interesting with what MS is doing. I liked fable 3 a lot, actually my favorite in the series. Never beat one hated 2 and liked 3.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here