PSPgo Clings to Life in North America

PSPgo Clings to Life in North America

The PSPgo might be dead in Japan and Europe, but it'll still be manufactured for the North American market.

It was a sad day for the PSPgo when Sony recently confirmed that the system would no longer continue to be shipped to retailers. Apparently, reports of the digital download-only handheld's demise were somewhat region specific, as it may continue to live on in North America alone.

Sony Computer Entertainment of America evidently told Joystiq that the PSPgo will continue to be manufactured for the North American market. "We are continuing production of PSPgo for North America," SCEA specifically said.

This would mean that North America, and only North America will eventually become the only place to pick up a new PSPgo if they sell out in Europe and Japan, where Sony has revealed that the PSPgo is done. The PSPgo's discontinuation likely stems from its difficulty at catching on in the market, and the future release of Sony's next-gen NGP handheld.

What I'm wondering is: Why? One can only guess that the PSPgo is somehow earning Sony a profit in North America, even though it doesn't seem to be a very popular device.

Source: Joystiq

Um... what? I don't even understand this shit.

It's not THAT bad...thanks to frequent PSN sales on PSP game downloads.

But it's mostly inferior to having a regular PSP, assuming you have a decent memory stick.

Well, I think the digital download thing just took a major hit with the PSP-go going down, by showing many customers in general are somewhat resistant to being totally at the mercy of having someone to continue providing what they pay for.

That said, if I had to made an educated guess, I'd imagine the reason why it's going to live on in North America is because Sony doesn't want to risk getting reamed by ginormous lawsuits.

It's been a good question for a while what would happen if a major digital content provider went out of business and disappeared entirely, taking the digital content people paid for with them. Whether the EULAs and download agreements would protect them from legal action is a debatable issue, because there are some rights a person can't sign away. Most fights against EULAs and such have been relatively small scale, and ultimatly puesued from rather ineffective angles to begin with.

I'm guessing that there is probably paid content for the PSPGo that won't be accessible on any other kind of system, and if they stop producing the hardware, people will be unable to access what they paid for if their system breaks and they can't get another one. As a result they are having to weigh the potential legal battles, against the cost of continueing to produce a smattering of units for what little market they were able to acheive.

I could be wrong about that, but it's my guess. The USA tends to give customers and citizens a lot more rights in civil court than other countries do, hence why we're viewed as "sue crazy". I'd imagine Sony is probably more concerned over the possibilities for losses in the US, than throughout Europe, or in Japan.

I'm kind of interested in seeing what happens down the road when a major Digital content distributer DOES go down in a way that will cause a lot of people to lose access to material they paid for. I hope it's not one I'm invested in of course, but to be honst it's going to be interesting and bring a lot of issues to a head.

I love how Nintendo is discontinuing what is, in my mind, a very popular device. And here we have Sony, who is not discontinuing, a very unpopular device. Both of them are just retarded. /facepalm

The main problem with the PSPgo and PSP is the one thing that holds it back from Nintendo and the iphone.

The internal memory, memory cards and the amount of space it takes to hold each PSN game.

Sony Pro duo memory cards and pro duo micro memory cards are expensive as hell still. Back when I got an 8 gig about a year ago it was 100 bucks, now the 16 gig are still 50 bucks. So it is quite easy to fill up those memory cards making the process even with a PC and using Sony's Media Go to download those games to your PSP still take forever.

Nobody likes to fill their Memory card with FF7 that takes 1.8 gigs and then have to constantly delete and download the same damn thing multiple times. Nobody also likes to swap out memory cards or have a catalog system for a handheld. I don't want to bring a little filing cabinet with me full of fifty dollar memory cards for each genre of game I play.

Eri:
I love how Nintendo is discontinuing what is, in my mind, a very popular device.

What is the Big N discontinuing?

Ephraim J. Witchwood:
Um... what? I don't even understand this shit.

my thoughts exactly... Im fairly certain that the NA sales of the PSPGo was horrible at launch and continued to be horrible, while in Japan the PSPGo did surprisingly well.

Sense makes this none.

Hopefully Sony will elaborate a bit more, maybe it will be manufactured in North America and still shipped to Europe and Japan.......

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

Eri:
I love how Nintendo is discontinuing what is, in my mind, a very popular device.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/04/new-ds-lite-systems-have-been-discontinued.jpg

Eri:

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

Eri:

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2011/04/new-ds-lite-systems-have-been-discontinued.jpg

Ah... and now there's an Escapist post about it, too. Though that one says Gamestop and not Nintendo... still pretty sad. The DSi isn't nearly as good...

Every place I know here in the U.S. stopped selling PSPgos several months ago. My store still has a couple of accessories for it clearanced way, way down just trying to get rid of them, but no one owns one to desire any of it.

Onyx Oblivion:
It's not THAT bad...thanks to frequent PSN sales on PSP game downloads.

But it's mostly inferior to having a regular PSP, assuming you have a decent memory stick.

I agree, I got one for my birthday (I have the psp 1000 and there were some games I wanted to play so I got one to sort of inspire me to play it more), and I didn't expect much, I love having all the tech I can, good or bad, but I liked it. I like that it's more portable than my old psp. I can close this one and fit it into most of my jeans or sweater pockets, my old psp couldn't do that, I usually needed a big sweater pocket to hold it. I also liked having games saved onto the harddrive. There are things I don't agree with, like only one analog stick, but it's just a remake of the psp, not a sequel to it.

It came out too expensive I must say, though, but I am surprised 1. That they are cancelling it at all, no matter how well it's selling. And 2. That they are cancelling it only for certain regions. Stranger things have happened I suppose.

What the... Be dead already! *shoots gun*

Seriously, I think what they are doing is the science-y way: Build and Recycle!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here