Sony Admits External Forces Brought Down PSN

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Sony Admits External Forces Brought Down PSN

Sony had to shut down the entire PlayStation Network due to an "external intrusion."

The PlayStation Network completely went down this week, prompting speculation that faceless hacking group Anonymous may have been to blame. Though Anonymous denied any such accusations, Sony has admitted that the downtime is definitely the result of an outside force.

Sony's Patrick Seybold wrote on the PlayStation Blog: "An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services. In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th."

The shutdown is notable as it means nobody can play online, but users also can't purchase games, movies, or DLC from the PSN. This "external intrusion" is affecting far more than Sony as a singular entity.

Anonymous is known for having various internal groups with their own motives, so despite denying responsibility, it still could be to blame. The organization reportedly attacked Sony earlier this year as retaliation for its lawsuit against PS3 hacker George "GeoHot" Hotz, and this could be a second salvo.

Seybold adds that Sony is still working to resolve the situation as quickly as possible. Seybold will let us know any further details when they're available. As for now, the PSN is projected to be down for another couple of days.

Source: PS Blog

Whatever, Sony. You just keep flingin' bullshit, and we'll see how that goes for you.

EDIT: Stop quoting me.

"External Intrusion"?

I remember in one of the older articles that one quote from anonymous that they were seemingly looking for highly personal info on Sony's employees (because hey, right to privacy to everyone right?) so maybe it wasn't an attack that shut down all the servers but one that risked a security breach of personal info like credit cards or something. I could see something like that in some Anons' power.

I wouldn't put it past anonymous. That cyberterroristic cult is just stupid enough to do this.

Well, good to get an update anyways.

"It wasn't our fault! Honest!"
Or
"And this is why we're ramming more annoying security features"

Lol. I find it hilarious on that same weekend, Microsoft had a free Gold Weekend going on with several events.

Either way..Lol?

Has Sony at any point in this stopped and said, "This is Anonymous' fault!".

Because I haven't seen that, yet.

Can we stop this "Sony is looking for a scapegoat in Anon to cover up their own incompetence" shit I've seen in related topics?

Edit: And I'm well aware that Anon isn't actually some connected organization, unlike the media's idea of it.

Why are people so quick to judge Sony and say the screwed up in this case? This would be one HUGE screw up if it was internal.

I DO hope whoever caused it is caught, but not as much as I just want the service to start working again.

C'mon Sony, you can make it happen.

Anonymous: "hey lets hurt Sony for suing hotz, that'll help"

*prevents millions of PLAYSTATION OWNERS playing online*

Anonymous are fucking morons, this hasn't hurt Sony, this has hurt the users, the people they claim to be fighting for. All this does is make Sony seem the victim and undermines Hotz.

IB4 "how do you know it is anonymous"

news flash: we don't know who they are, THEREFORE THEY ARE ANONYMOUS!

(I don't think it's China or Iran, they have bigger fish to fry)

Onyx Oblivion:

Can we stop this "Sony is looking for a scapegoat in Anon to cover up their own incompetence" shit I've seen in relayed topics?

The problem is that its hard to blame a group of anonymous people who all aren't responsible for this, for doing this. One part of Anon has come out to say they are not responsible, while another has left a cryptic message about this. That's Anons greatest Strength and Weakness. Its a faceless blob full of independent minds.

And Treblaine, good job for not being attentive. They called that off a while back when they first found out it was affecting the PSN customers. Again, Anon had announced they'd stop the attacks, and later announced they weren't behind this. Thats the portion of Anon that IS organized somewhat though.
So it could be a pocket of Anon who aren't affiliated with that portion doing it on their own.

Or it could be Chinese hackers, who have been going after Amazon Web Services, which might be providing servers for some of PNS's necessities.

Hack the Little Big Planet!

Ephraim J. Witchwood:
Whatever, Sony. You just keep flingin' bullshit, and we'll see how that goes for you.

It's easy to call people liars without proof.

But it cheapens you.

Straying Bullet:
Lol. I find it hilarious on that same weekend, Microsoft had a free Gold Weekend going on with several events.

Either way..Lol?

I find it hilarious that Gold being free is considered to be good of them. So how d'you like them apples?

OT:

Onyx Oblivion:

Can we stop this "Sony is looking for a scapegoat in Anon to cover up their own incompetence" shit I've seen in relayed topics?

This, basically.

this is certainly looking like its not Sonys fault as for the XBOX owners showing off, ours is still free so if this happened to xbox live there would be uproar

Woodsey:

Onyx Oblivion:

This, basically.

Minus my typo, of course.

My fingers ain't working right today.

Woodsey:

Straying Bullet:

Either way..Lol?

I find it hilarious that Gold being free is considered to be good of them. So how d'you like them apples?

I find it hilarious that Microsoft offers that exactly on the moment PSN is having trouble. I am not saying they done it intentionally but for those with multiple consoles, XBOX360 is the way to get your online fix. Or PC.

I still lament I have to keep paying for shit I don't use. I want a tier-system.

Tom Goldman:
Anonymous is known for having various internal groups with their own motives, so despite denying responsibility, it still could be to blame

No no no, Anonymous doesn't have various internal groups with their own motives. Anonymous is various groups with their own motives. Just because one person claiming to be Anonymous says they had nothing to do with it, doesn't mean that Anonymous had nothing to do with it.

Sure, it's confusing. But that's kinda the point.

I bet ten bucks that this was Hotz himself asking for seconds in a nice act of hubris.

This is why I love hackers.

...No wait, this is actually why I fucking hate them.

Treblaine:

Anonymous are fucking morons, this hasn't hurt Sony, this has hurt the users, the people they claim to be fighting for. All this does is make Sony seem the victim and undermines Hotz.

It kinda does, because this has gone into some mainstream media and non gamers may not want the ps3 for that reason also the anon thing went mainsteam and the hacking thing when mainsteam.

= non gamers looking towards 360
= win for anon

Treblaine:

I have to disagree.

Iran is spiteful enough that they might just pull this off.

Treblaine:

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

But it cheapens you.

Well, there's no proof that their story is true, either.

the only thing i dont like about all this is that the service is down
FFS i have some portal and socom to play

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

Treblaine:

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

But it cheapens you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

OT: I really feel for PS3 players. I hope this gets better soon.

Sounds like Sony looking for an excuse for a hardware failure. Server farms and pipelines go down, it happens. No company wants to admit that it happens to them and Sony has the convenient recent trouble with "external influences" to pin it on.

I mean all we can definitely say is that it's not an ion cannon DDOS which is Anon's weapon of choice. As a DDOS doesn't bring a network down like this, it goes in fits and starts and it only affect the server it's targeted at, not all of them.

Didn't Anon say they weren't going to DDOS attack PSN but instead they were going to try and get personal info about Sony higher ups.

From what Sony is saying it sounds like someone "external" got into their system so they figured the best way to stop it is to unplug PSN.

I don't think Anon crashed PSN but I think its very possible they are involved.

Straying Bullet:

Woodsey:

Straying Bullet:

Either way..Lol?

I find it hilarious that Microsoft offers that exactly on the moment PSN is having trouble. I am not saying they done it intentionally but for those with multiple consoles, XBOX360 is the way to get your online fix. Or PC.

I still lament I have to keep paying for shit I don't use. I want a tier-system.

Of course it's not a coincidence, it's a smart business decision to nab customers when they can't access the leading competitive online service at the time.

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

Lets see how you will like when you tell your children not to do something, and they go ahead behind your back and do it.

Thing is obvious: it's Skynet -_-

Imagine if you bought your kid to work oneday, because hey, it's easter I want time with my family. They are having the time of their life but you tell them to not wander off, they do it anyway, they are only little and they are really enjoying that icecream you bought them, because it's such a hot day.

Then, when you notice they are missing you think where they might be, the room with all the big noise and the lights!

You find icecream all over your computers and a laughing child.

Blame the external intrusion while it's smiling away, pressing all the bright buttons.

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

Treblaine:

Ephraim J. Witchwood:

But it cheapens you.

Yes there IS proof, it just obviously they cannot divulge it, I mean no company is that stupid to show their hand on how they figured it out with an ongoing investigation. They also can't claim to be have been attacked by outside entities if they have not, that is a serious offence to claim a crime has taken place when it has not.

Don't be under any illusions, casual slander won't hurt your enemies more than it will cheapen your own word.

sunami88:

Tom Goldman:
Anonymous is known for having various internal groups with their own motives, so despite denying responsibility, it still could be to blame

No no no, Anonymous doesn't have various internal groups with their own motives. Anonymous is various groups with their own motives. Just because one person claiming to be Anonymous says they had nothing to do with it, doesn't mean that Anonymous had nothing to do with it.

Sure, it's confusing. But that's kinda the point.

Technically, since we don't know who did it, it is anonymous. Which is strange why that "group" is denying it. Hard to explain, but no one, including anonymous, knows exactly who anonymous is.

I am kinda pissed that this happened. I play mostly on my ps3 (online, anyhow), so this is really annoying. I'm more pissed that people are calling out Sony, claiming that they solely blame anonymous. Where in any report have they made such claims? I have yet to see it. I don't know why anyone is attacking them for it. I bet if XBL went down, people would be more sympathetic. But since it's Sony, everyone hates on them, it seems.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here