Portal 2 "Probably" Valve's Single-Player Swan Song

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Portal 2 "Probably" Valve's Single-Player Swan Song

Valve says Portal 2 could be the developer's last single-player experience of its kind.

Portal 2 features a seriously entertaining single-player experience that only a high-quality developer like Valve could deliver. Sadly, it might be the last of its kind from the company. In a behind-the-scenes feature focusing on the game, Valve evidently states that Portal 2 could be its last game designed purely for solo players.

Geoff Keighley's Final Hours of Portal 2 iPad app, which includes all sorts of background information and assets related to the 3-year development of Portal 2, divulged the possibility. It includes a statement that says: "Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single-player experience."

Keighley writes that this information "comes from Valve" and wasn't dreamed up out of nowhere. He adds: "Keep in mind Valve said 'probably,' so I get the feeling that this could change."

The statement could have many meanings. First of all, it hints that this is the end for the Portal series, which despite a co-op mode in Portal 2 is inherently a single-player game. However, it doesn't mean that Valve is going to stop creating single-player games entirely, just games with what it deems an "isolated" single-player experience, meaning that other players might at least have the ability to jump in through a co-op feature or some other method.

It's definitely an interesting statement to think about considering how Valve is still working on the next iteration of the Half-Life series, which is also a single-player experience. Perhaps it won't be next time?

*Edit* The term "isolated" may be referring to the idea of the main character being alone in the game without NPCs, rather than actual human players, so this could be a misinterpretation of Valve's statement.

Source: Eurogamer

whats this mean for half life 3

cough cough

Yeah. I'm loving Valve more and more now. Thanks for caring so much. /sarcasm

EDIT: I want to type really nasty words here... really nasty.

You heard it here first, folks. World of Portalcraft official announcement.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dont do this valve, single player games made you famous! jumping on the single player/ multi player bandwagon doesnt mean twice as much sales, it means less time devoted to each portion.

thefreeman0001:

Multilayer in HL 3

Now it's here too...

There has always been multiplayer in Valve games, only game they've made without multiplayer is Portal 1. Even Half-Life 1 had deathmatch =/

uppitycracker:

Now you're thinking in- Swiss Cheese.

thefreeman0001:

What does this mean for Episode 3?

OT: It would be a shame if that were true. I like multiplayer but my favorite games are mostly all single player.

Hurk!

Fuck.

That did not go down well.

Oh, no. Not the horrors of multiplayer. Whatever shall we do?

Sober Thal:
Thanks for caring so much. /sarcasm

Caring about what, exactly? Here's a hint. Valve's a business. They "care" about money.

I'm only concerned for the Half-Life franchise. Besides that, if they start developing exclusively multiplayer games, I'll probably just start mostly ignoring new Valve games.

Then again, they could use their Valve-style fun characters and visual design to drag me into playing out of my element like they did with TF2, the clever bastards.

wait, i'm confused, are they saying this is the last game they'll make which has a single player option (ie no more single player campaigns) OR are they saying its the last game they'll make which ONLY has a single player option (ie all future games will have multiplayer of some sort but will still feature a single player campaign)

The first is the worst thing Valve could do besides sending me an envelope full of shit but the second isn't so bad...i suppose.

uppitycracker:

I'd play that. I'd seriously play that...

I'm rather disappointed by this... It really makes me wonder what they'll do with the Half Life franchise from here. They can't really make it a co-op only affair.

Now considerably confused. Thanks again Valve.

I'm thinking the next Half Life will be a new engine, hence, that would be the main focus, but the story is always great no matter what.
I mean, source is pretty old now, definitely needs a good rest.

immovablemover:
wait, i'm confused, are they saying this is the last game they'll make which has a single player option (ie no more single player campaigns) OR are they saying its the last game they'll make which ONLY has a single player option (ie all future games will have multiplayer of some sort)

The first is the worst thing Valve could do besides sending me an envelope full of shit but the second isn't so bad...i suppose.

Well...Portal 2 doesn't only have a single player mode, so...time to start smelling your mail before you open it.

Sober Thal:
cough cough

Caring so much about what?

Half-Life 2 had a fucking multiplayer component (so did Half-Life I believe), quit your whining.

OT: This could mean anything from, "all games will include co-op and/or multiplayer", to, "Steam will have increased community functions to help share your singlplayer experiences".

People need to stop pissing their pants over a single sentence, that hasn't even been said to us by Valve in the first place.

Is this really that big a deal? There's only one Valve game that doesn't have any multiplayer function (Portal). Hell, looking at Valve's catalog of games (specifically Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2), they appear to do multiplayer focused games really well.

Well this is genuinly dissapointing. :(

I'd love to see a creative concept about online gaming. We don't need more MMOs and Deathmatches.

So from now on they'll cut out the multiplayer so the singleplayer is no longer "isolated"?
Alrighty.

Soylent Bacon:

immovablemover:
wait, i'm confused, are they saying this is the last game they'll make which has a single player option (ie no more single player campaigns) OR are they saying its the last game they'll make which ONLY has a single player option (ie all future games will have multiplayer of some sort)

Well...Portal 2 doesn't only have a single player mode, so...time to start smelling your mail before you open it.

This is what worries me :/ but, since the escapist has some of the worst journalism in the history of the printed word (and yes, I do count Fox News and The Sun in with that) I think i'll be waiting for official word from Valve before I become a mail sniffer.

CardinalPiggles:
NNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Let me continue that for ya
*breaths in* OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-*choke* Fly went in my mouth.

OT: I've played Synergy. *Dramatic Close up* Its a dark place in single player co-op missions, very dark...

They may just be integrating a social system into Half-Life and other games...like what steam already does...I'd be alright with them doing multiplayer games like Left 4 Dead HOWEVER it's not the solo way forward. Playing a game by yourself is the best way to get immersed and lost in it's environment. Take Amnesia, if you play it with someone else, the horror is more or less removed...it becomes a, WATCH OUT FOR THAT JUMPY BIT YOU TWIT!!!

Really I think they're just gonna look into doing a sorta facebook social game tie in. NOT purely like farmville but integrating elements of the such. They already have useless dlc, I can see them leaning towards it...

As long as it's optional, it's all good.

But when it comes to gaming I'm a sociopath... I dislike gaming on-line because I don't like the time pressure. I like to take things at my own pace and work out puzzles, interact with ncps and generally be chilled out.

I love portal, but if it becomes something like co-op only then I'll have to convince my girlfriend to play!.. and nobody wants that!

CardinalPiggles:

dont do this valve, single player games made you famous! jumping on the single player/ multi player bandwagon doesnt mean twice as much sales, it means less time devoted to each portion.

Hats made them more famous.... and more money =p

So are we talking Call of Half-Life, Half-Life of Duty or some other abomination?

CardinalPiggles:

Ditto!!!
And hurry up with Episode 3 already :(

And here I was, getting all psyched up for more Portal awesomeness in the years to come.

Apparantly not.

Thanks for nothing Valve

To the people saying what about Half life episode 3/half life 3. All the writer said was portal 2 might be the last single player of its kind, meaning Valve puzzle games. Nothing to do with the half life games.

I think valve mucked up here. Either they made an ambiguous statement without thinking about what type of a headline it would make, "HALF-LIFE 3 TO REQUIRE INTERACTION WITH HOMOPHOBIC 12 YEAR OLDS" or they have suddenly gotten very out of touch with gamers. Are they experimenting with ground up moon-rocks or mercury or something?

Woodsey:

Sober Thal:
cough cough

Caring so much about what?

Half-Life 2 had a fucking multiplayer component (so did Half-Life I believe), quit your whining.

OT: This could mean anything from, "all games will include co-op and/or multiplayer", to, "Steam will have increased community functions to help share your singlplayer experiences".

People need to stop pissing their pants over a single sentence, that hasn't even been said to us by Valve in the first place.

Im starting to think you would still defend Valve if it was revealed there games are powered by baby seal blood and Gabe eats the brains. Blatant fanboyism.

Anyway, this sure sucks. Valve has been very, very slowly giving there "old" fanbase the finger for a while now. I dont really care that much about all the small disagreeable things Valve has been doing lately but they all come together to form one massive cock that is lodging itself firmly in our asses. A process some people even seem to enjoy, because Valve can do no fucking wrong. They will take it up the ass like an absolute champ, buying L4D2 while complaining about Activision making the same fucking game every year. They will complain about DLC packs while playing a game that has been gradually changed from an online FPS to a fucking marketplace for hats and trading items.

Dont misunderstand me, I am aware of the fact that Valve are a company and companies exist to make money but im just slightly disappointed that they are taking the direction pretty much everyone doesnt want to go. Kinda thought they wouldnt for a while. Mh.

Its getting to the point where *BLASPHEMY INCOMING* I almost hope the Half Life series is given to another studio, Duke Nukem style. I can wait for the game for 6 years but if it comes out and it has some kind of bullshit demon souls style singlemultiplayer hybrid.... Well... FUCK THAT.

thefreeman0001:

Nothing, as it is unlikely to come out anyways...

I'm hoping this means that cooperative play will be a consideration when developing the single player campaign. While single player is still by far my favorite game type I have no problem with coop consideration here.

Now if it means future games will diminish the single player experience in favor of multiplayer . . . well then Valve won't be getting much currency from me.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here