Portal 2 "Probably" Valve's Single-Player Swan Song

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Spangles:

Flamma Man:
For fuck's sake people, stop lossing your shit over one fucking quote from a guy, who heard it from another guy.

Seriously, just fucking chill, people are blowing this whole quote way out of proportion.

Considering that it's a quote from Valve, I at least think we can we are justified in speculating and considering any truth of the statement.

Your insistance that we 'shut up' is just as bad as the people shouting. Just simply two sides of the same coin.

It's just the people overexageratting is so ridiculous.

Really, I think we should just wait for a clearer explanation from VALVe in the future, which I assmue it's soon considering how many people are losing their shit over this.

Spangles:

Flamma Man:
For fuck's sake people, stop lossing your shit over one fucking quote from a guy, who heard it from another guy.

Seriously, just fucking chill, people are blowing this whole quote way out of proportion.

Considering that it's a quote from Valve, I at least think we can we are justified in speculating and considering any truth of the statement.

Your insistance that we 'shut up' is just as bad as the people shouting. Just simply two sides of the same coin.

Not really.

Assuming the quote is 100% accurate, this means basically nothing. The only Valve games I can think of that offer an 'isolated single-player experience' are Portal 1 & 2.

So... who gives a damn? Half-Life 1 & 2 had multiplayer, most people seem to think the single-player of those games was rather good. People are completely overreacting to this news.

Valve called Portal 2 an "isolated" single player experience. Note: Chell is the only human character to appear in either of the games. Hell, character interaction was kept to a bare minimum, with a cast list consisting of no more than five or six people.

Compare that to any of the Half Life games, which had plenty of character interaction amongst the numerous NPCs running around. I'm thinking that Valve just means that this will be the last time a single character is thrown into such an environment.

Or it could just be a really around-the-bush way of saying "There will be no Portal 3."

Well, this is vague. I'll just wait until Half-Life 3/HL2:Ep.3 to see what they mean by this.

Uhhh... this is not news? Link to prove it:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105115-Playing-by-Yourself-Is-Fine-With-Valve

Seems they want to push co-operative or ancillary multiplayer communication features on single player games ala Demon's Souls. I guess the only thing new to take from this announcement is that it basically states HL3 specifically won't be strictly single player. A Demon's Souls (hint scrawlings on walls leftover from mild timetravel/multiverse travel from the protagonist or deceased Aperture scientists on the ship) or a co-op (Alyx playable) approch would both fit the current storyline, so I can't see this affecting the next single player release at all given the little info available.

A big concern of course is whether they choose to make it a company philosophy and shoe-horn co-op into all parts of a game forevermore. A lot of the most memorable moments in the Half-life series only work because you're a) alone or b) in a tight space that could only hold one. Examples for each being Ravenholm from HL2 and the cliff climb vertical segment in HL1. But then, this isn't a company with much precedent for shoehorning things in needlessly.

The problem I have with the Half Life series is that they seem to be avoiding talk of making any other games, in fact Gabe Newell said that the Half Life 2 episodes ARE actually Half Life 3 all split up (he said that as being "technically" true.)

That worries me a little, they can't seriously just end the series in just one more episode and I highly doubt they would do that, so much can't just be explained cheaply in one minigame/DLC/expansion/whatever you want to call it.

Also I wonder what this means for Half Life 3 too...

Also Valve seems to be quite good at multiplayer then again they are pretty much successful at everything (well besides Rpg's which we need to wait and see how well they can remake that DOTA game...)

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I dont think you are a blatant fanboy just because of the statements in this thread. I think so because you are all over the forums and have been for years acting like some kind of Escapist Forum defense force/lawyer for Valve defending there every act and fuck up even in the most ridiculous of cases, all the while keeping the same lofty irritating and disagreeable personality that deems it necessary for you to point out your superior intellect and intelligence every other post. Yeah, im no better, but if someone calls me an asshole I will say "Yup, I am, I am not a very agreeable person". While your response is, without one exception, always "Yeah but your IQ is under 100 while mine is not which makes me better than you so take that".

Jesus christ, I just have to point this blatant fallacious-ness out. What's going on here is you are placing an ad hominem attack on him for past posts, and ignoring his point about multiplayer modes being prevalent in all valve's past titles. Stating a fact isn't fanboyism, neither is defending a company which you like. Stating that X is bad no matter what only because it isn't Y is fanboyism, which his argument wasn't. As for the other guy with the 3 digit IQ whatever, the points you make are equally valid as anybody else', even if taking Valve's cock is such a pleasurable experience (which I know it is <3).

OT (After that fucking rant): So what if co-op and multiplayer experiences are gonna be their big thing now? Half life 2 was basically a co-op game throughout the entire thing, with all the scripted Bot help you got, and the episodes were even more co-operative, as Alyx lost her god mode scripty-ness and became your hurdle mate. As long as it isn't completely community-multiplayer based (like the aforementioned TF2), I'm happy. Still waiting for my Portal 2 to deliver though. /grumble

Interesting to see how they do this for Episode 3.... and by interesting I mean nope.

It's been a good run, Valve. Hasta luego.

Valve has one of the worst marketing and public relations groups in the industry. Seriously.

thefreeman0001:
whats this mean for half life 3

An online mode

Well... i don't know what to say.
I suppose i hope the games Valve will be making will be really awesome and fun.
Don't really think that this is something bad (though i know Valve is capable of making great single-player games). I love the L4D series and TF2, so... go multiplayer and/or co-op!

Y'know, with the number of interpretations this can have, let's not jump to conclusions just yet. Wait for Valve's next game, and if it's really the anti-single-player experience that half of this thread is predicting it will be, then we can panic.

For now, I generally believe that while Valve likes to make money, if that was all it was in for, it would be making less innovative, less awesome games and more standard non-risky types. (Portal was quite a gamble; Portal 2, not so much, but they really put some oomph into the sequel to make it as good as they could instead of just riding on Portal's coattails.)

I have faith in Valve. They may decline like many other companies, but for now, I'll wait for proof of that downward slope before I freak out. So right now I'm assuming that they're just including multiplayer or co-op in everything. (Frankly, we need more co-op. I hate watching other people play games. Though I definitely believe in single player so long as I'm playing it. :P )

We shouldn't take this statement too serious. Gabe Newell and his team are known to think often about the future and make theories about it. In November 2010, Erik Johnson told Gamasutra in an interview, that Singleplayer games will have a good future.
I think it's a bit farfetched, if not wrong, to think that Valve will only produce Multiplayer games from now on, only because of this statement. In my opinion it's more likely that the people at Valve want to integrate the community more and further develop the way we consume story-based games.
People shouldn't get worried because of a statement that has been quoted out of context because it's good for a headline.

Hopefully this means the games will play like L4D. You can play L4D single player just fine, but you have the option of taking people with you as other characters. So much for awesome character animations, though.

Multiplayer games can kiss my ass, so can Valve if this is the way they are going.

I'm not overly concerned. Even if the Half Life series is affected by this, it will likely mean a co-op function that doesn't impede the story. Alyx Vance has been waiting to be played for quite a while, if I say myself. This could also mean a simple deathmatch function, or nothing at all. They could just decide that Singleplayer is too important.

Keep in mind that as a pirate, I see great value in buying games that have good multiplayer, because online connection is basically the same thing (functionally) as always on piracy protection. With rare exception, it's impossible to access a lot of great online content.

JourneyThroughHell:
Oh, no. Not the horrors of multiplayer. Whatever shall we do?

Sober Thal:
Thanks for caring so much. /sarcasm

Caring about what, exactly? Here's a hint. Valve's a business. They "care" about money.

what he said.

besides from the way so many gamers turned their backs on Bioware for not being
"rpg enough (because bioware has always been an rpg purist)" I wouldn't care much for fan 'loyalty' either. In fact its probably more dangerous as you will never be as good as your first game.

so i for one, am more than enthusiastic to bury my crowbar and see Valve do what they do best (what THEY want to do)

Well tbh I never play any co-op PC games because I don't want to play with randomers and organising it is a faff.

I'm actually pissed off because I bought Portal 2 on release and none of my friends are buying it until it gets discounted so I won't even play the co-op for a few months at least!

Frankly Valve I play video games by myself and I go out and get pissed with my mates, not the other way around.

Also, admit it, you're stuck on half-life. You've lured a lot of people along with the plot and people expected some kind of payoff but really the game is nothing more than the video game equivalent of Lost where nothing has any real meaning so just do what they did and make some random shit up so we can conclude that games series just like you desperately want to.

gunner1905:
This means we get to play coop in Half-Life 3 as Gordon Freeman with a gravity gun and

SmashLovesTitanQuest:
buying L4D2 while complaining about Activision making the same fucking game every year.

What's with hating on L4D2, it's better then L4D1. I've played hours upon hours of both games and L4D2 is much better objectively (more weapons, melee weapons, more gamemodes, more free dlc, more infected types)
You can't compare it to COD or yearly sequels game that activision put out, we haven't reached L4D3 have we.

P.S. Actually what other games is put out annually aside from COD and sports title (Guitar Hero is dead) I couldn't think of any.

No, I didnt mean that either. L4D2 was a good game, ok, it made hardly any changes from the first one but on the other hand it got dirt cheap about a month after release. I dont mine it.

I just think its very hypocritical of some people to defend L4D2 while flaming the COD series for making the same game 3 times. Thats all.

I have a simple answer to this. If Portal 2 is "probably" the last of Valve's single player games, then Portal 2 will "probably" be the last Valve game I buy. Simple!

Funny how VALVe NEVER released a game with 3 at the end. <-----Way off-topic.

OT: I really hope this means single player + multiplayer component not multiplayer only.

Adzma:
So are we talking Call of Half-Life, Half-Life of Duty or some other abomination?

"What?! How'd he Crowbar me from that distance! Fucking Commando!"

Slimshad:

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

I dont think you are a blatant fanboy just because of the statements in this thread. I think so because you are all over the forums and have been for years acting like some kind of Escapist Forum defense force/lawyer for Valve defending there every act and fuck up even in the most ridiculous of cases, all the while keeping the same lofty irritating and disagreeable personality that deems it necessary for you to point out your superior intellect and intelligence every other post. Yeah, im no better, but if someone calls me an asshole I will say "Yup, I am, I am not a very agreeable person". While your response is, without one exception, always "Yeah but your IQ is under 100 while mine is not which makes me better than you so take that".

and ignoring his point about multiplayer modes being prevalent in all valve's past titles.

SmashLovesTitanQuest:

Woodsey:

Sober Thal:
cough cough

Yeah. I'm loving Valve more and more now. Thanks for caring so much. /sarcasm

EDIT: I want to type really nasty words here... really nasty.

Caring so much about what?

Half-Life 2 had a fucking multiplayer component (so did Half-Life I believe), quit your whining.

OT: This could mean anything from, "all games will include co-op and/or multiplayer", to, "Steam will have increased community functions to help share your singlplayer experiences".

People need to stop pissing their pants over a single sentence, that hasn't even been said to us by Valve in the first place.

Im starting to think you would still defend Valve if it was revealed there games are powered by baby seal blood and Gabe eats the brains. Blatant fanboyism.

Anyway, this sure sucks. Valve has been very, very slowly giving there "old" fanbase the finger for a while now. I dont really care that much about all the small disagreeable things Valve has been doing lately but they all come together to form one massive cock that is lodging itself firmly in our asses. A process some people even seem to enjoy, because Valve can do no fucking wrong. They will take it up the ass like an absolute champ, buying L4D2 while complaining about Activision making the same fucking game every year. They will complain about DLC packs while playing a game that has been gradually changed from an online FPS to a fucking marketplace for hats and trading items.

Dont misunderstand me, I am aware of the fact that Valve are a company and companies exist to make money but im just slightly disappointed that they are taking the direction pretty much everyone doesnt want to go. Kinda thought they wouldnt for a while. Mh.

Its getting to the point where *BLASPHEMY INCOMING* I almost hope the Half Life series is given to another studio, Duke Nukem style. I can wait for the game for 6 years but if it comes out and it has some kind of bullshit demon souls style singlemultiplayer hybrid.... Well... FUCK THAT.

There you go. You can read that post again. Properly. Done that? Good. Now, you may have noticed that I mentioned Left 4 Dead in that post. And you may have noticed I mentioned Team Fortress 2 as well. Thats 2 online games. I dont see how I ignored the fact that valve has been doing multiplayer for a long time. In fact, I went out of my to mention multiplayer games by valve twice after that too. Im not ignoring things in anybodys post. You are ignoring things in mine.

All the other points of "attack" do come from posts he made in the past, in which, along with other things, he did mention that he hated COD for lack of innovation more than once while defending Valve for making the same game 2 or 3 times on the same day. I have seen a number of people mildly call him out on stuff like this, and he responded to everyone the same way. Ignore all points made, state arguments which have already been proven false, and insult the other guys IQ. He displays an extremely disagreeable personality 90% of the time, dismissing peoples arguments without caring to say why or explaining himself properly. Almost all of his posts made on non-valve threads are negative and flame users who politely stated there opinions which the majority of the time werent even replying to him. And I think that this thread is as good a one to call him out on it than any other.

Dont get me wrong, im certainly not the nicest guy on the internet. But this guy? 11.000 posts made up of "shut up. you suck. im better than you. im going to pretend I dont care too look cool. dont talk shit about valve." "sorry I disagree and here is why..." "BE QUIET IM MORE INTELLIGENT THAN YOU I CANT HEAR YOU NANANANANANANANA". I come across as quite immature most of the time due to my language but this guy is acting truly childish.

thefreeman0001:
whats this mean for half life 3

I'm guessing player 1 will still control Freemon, but friends might be able to jump in occasionally and be side-characters

Rayken15:

No wait, that actually is really funny!

Half Life
Half Life 2
Half Life 2 Episode 1
Half Life 2 Episode 2
Counter Strike
Counter Strike Condition Zero
Counter Strike 1.5
Counter Strike 1.6
Counter Strike Source
Team Fortress
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Alien Swarm

That three is really being avoided here...

GiantRaven:
Is this really that big a deal? There's only one Valve game that doesn't have any multiplayer function (Portal). Hell, looking at Valve's catalog of games (specifically Left 4 Dead and Team Fortress 2), they appear to do multiplayer focused games really well.

This. Seriously, this could mean a major change in the way they do things... Or it could be an extremely minor change. That is to say, no more Portal 1's.

I think we should wait a while to see what they really end up doing before declaring this the beginning of the end of all things good in Valve games...

LET THE OVERREACTION AND BITCHING BEGIN!

...crap, I'm 3 pages late in typing this.

Rewdalf:

Rayken15:

No wait, that actually is really funny!

Half Life
Half Life 2
Half Life 2 Episode 1
Half Life 2 Episode 2
Counter Strike
Counter Strike Condition Zero
Counter Strike 1.5
Counter Strike 1.6
Counter Strike Source
Team Fortress
Team Fortress 2
Portal
Portal 2
Left 4 Dead
Left 4 Dead 2
Alien Swarm

That three is really being avoided here...

Avoided like a plague.As it looks number 2 is VALVe's favorite and most succesful number ( as in, it sold well).

I don't mind if they add a multiplayer mode like they did in Portal 2, but I hope they're not going for somekind of "jump in, jump out" multiplayer feature in the next Half-Life. I know Valve wants to be the one who pushes the industry forward with new engines and innovations, but if that means they're saying goodbye to the singleplayer all together it would be a very sad thing.

Then again, maybe it's not as bad as all that. Let's hope so.

[Insert Rage about multiplayer having to be in everything these days]

[Insert Rage about the future of Half life 2: episode 3]

[Insert Rage created by this shattering news]

[Cry]

[Profit???]

You know maybe this just means all games will have some form of co-op play in it or something similar. Doesn't mean they are out right ignoring singleplayer.

Argh, so many people keep spelling VALVE with a lowercase E instead of a superscript E!!!

This article's claim could be parsed in different ways. It could be that by "isolated" they're referring to interactions; Chell never directly meets other humans, they are all just voices on speaker systems. Perhaps they don't deem the Half-Life series isolated in this way.

Of course, it could also mean the same thing people have been inferring, and honestly I wouldn't blame VALVE for this. Portal 2 just came out, but already the game has been cracked, and the single player campaign can be pirated, played without Steam. Online modes, however, still need Steam for matchmaking, as well as to keep up with frequent server/client security updates, and they've no doubt noticed that multiplayer-centric games such as Team Fortress 2 and Left 4 Dead are far less pirated simply because it's much more difficult to have any fun with a pirated copy.

By switching to developing games with a nonoptional multiplayer component, they would be improving the effectiveness of their DRM without having to change it, and it would not involve something so offensive as the DRM seen in other recent games. I doubt anyone really has a problem with an "always-online" form of antipiracy that's necessitated by the game design itself rather than a simple result of phoning home.

P.S. Thanks

Well shit...I'm honestly curious what will happen with HL2 Episode 3. That will be interesting to see if it will indeed not be a single-player experience. And by interesting I mean potentially awkward and sad.

I doubt that this is the case, they are just too good at making games for them to give up on this aspect of it.

Awwww. I don't want this.
Oh well, if this is true I guess I'll just go elsewhere for my games...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here